Chapter 23: A Shift in Conciousness

From Livid to Loyal

 

‘Are you sure you want me to tell them that Yunho?’ Jinki asked with a tilt of his head.

‘Mhmm. It’s the only way.’

‘But you know you won’t be able to shift again until the bandages come off right?’

‘Yes I already know that, but the wounds will heal up a bit once I do change, and in the end it’ll be worth it. As I am now, I already know it’s going to make me a burden to everyone.’ Jinki whined but shifted, being sure to cover himself from everyone with his hands.

“Ma’am do you still have my sweats on your person?” Jinki asked Kibum’s mother. She stared a bit dumbfounded at first but nodded vigorously and retrieved them from a bag.  She handed them to Jinki and he simply covered himself with them. “Yunho says he needs his collar to be taken off. He says it’s the best decision due to the circumstances.”

“But we were told they needed it on for thirty days, and we were not to remove them any time before that.” Jaejoong’s father said warily.

“Oh, that’s just in case they try to kill you in their human form in which it’s a lot easier and harder to point the finger at than if they were in their wolf form. Once they trust you can take it off without much of a problem. Thirty days is usually how long it takes for them, to at least get used to being around us, but you can definitely take it off before then.” Kibum said, garnering odd and suspicious stares from everyone that heard him.

“Kibum…” Jaejoong’s father started. “How is it that you would know such information?”

Without missing a beat he responded “I read about it, you know how I like to read ahead.” he said, undetectably winking at Jonghyun who actually seemed a bit scared, not that anyone would actually notice since all eyes were on his master. “Anyways” He said averting the attention back to the wolf in question “Yunho is obviously not going to try anything since he’s risked his life for us. That I’m almost positive about so I think Jaejoong should take off his collar. It would be interesting to see what he looked like anyways.”

Jaejoong, who was nervous about the whole thing, turned suddenly curious as Kibum mentioned Yunho’s appearance. “Is… Is that alright dad?” He asked looking to his father for guidance.

After some deliberation and a few wordless glances at Kibum’s mother who seemed to be fine with the idea he sighed and nodded. Jaejoong’s heart began racing almost immediately approaching his wolf and crouching down on his level looking him in his gray eyes with curiosity, a bit of fear and a lot of anxiety. He wrapped his hands around the back of the wolf’s neck, undoing the black spiked collar around his neck shakily and standing stepping back immediately after. In a minute or so Jaejoong found himself craning his neck up to stare into the warm dark eyes of undoubtedly the most handsome man he had ever seen in his life. From his sun kissed skin, to his knee-weakening white smile everything had Jaejoong in a state of awe. He heard a whistling noise from someone; he assumed it was Kibum. Slowly Jaejoong’s eyes traveled down his body, taking in every inch he could but he never made it past the werewolf’s muscled pectoral muscles before fainting.

There were a few gasps as Jaejoong plummeted to the floor, and Yunho managed to snatch him up before he hit the ground, making his wounds open up and spew blood down his form. Jaejoong’s father quickly grabbed his son from the wincing and cringing Yunho and carried him off.

 Kibum’s mother quickly gathered her tools and began to pour peroxide on the wounds, disinfecting them and stopping the bleeding for the most part before wrapping them in gauze and bandages. Throughout the entire process Junsu, Kibum and even Taemin stared at the alpha male, dumbstruck at his appearance.

“Does us staring at him and not going to check on Jaejoong make us bad friends?” Junsu asked.

“Probably, but he would totally understand the situation given the fact that he fainted from the radiation of and male this guy is letting off. Come on Jinki move from in front of him! Let’s see if the rumors I heard are true.” Jinki laughed and Yunho chuckled a bit bashfully at Kibum’s blunt and uninhibited words.

“Key! And in front of you mom too?” Taemin scolded with a blush on his face.

“Oh come on Taemin, I know you’re curious too.”

“W-what?! No I’m not!” He huffed and grabbed both Junsu and Kibum’s arms, tugging them over to where Jaejoong was laid out. “Come on you guys, Jaejoong could be in bad condition and you two are here ogling his werewolf.”

As he tugged them away their looks lingered. Kibum speaking while still checking Yunho out. “Oh please Tae, you were looking too.”

“I was only looking at his face!” He said in a hushed shout.

His two friends laughed at him and turned away from Yunho. Who was finally putting on the sweats that Jinki held for him. Afterwards the omega shifted back just in time to catch what the wolves were talking about. Changmin looked a little annoyed at whatever he was hearing.

‘What’s going on?’

‘Is it a little wrong for me to be jealous that Junsu was staring at Yunho like he was the most appetizing thing he had ever seen?’

Jinki laughed at Yoochun who was sulking a little bit. ‘I don’t see why it would be an issue to be jealous; he belongs to you after all.’ He paused and looked at Jonghyun who had his teeth bared and his ears glued back against his skull. ‘Jonghyun on the other hand looks pissed enough to kill. Why is that Jonghyun?’ The omega asked with a tilt of his head. The response he got left him a bit baffled.

‘Because Kibum has some of the most wandering eyes I’ve ever seen and they’re wandering in the wrong direction. He’s asking for it.’ He growled and stormed off towards the fledglings, angry.

‘What’s his deal?’ Yoochun asked.

“No idea, but he did say he would explain if we won that fight earlier.” Yunho said with a laugh that had Kibum’s mother blushing and staring a bit wide-eyed. She cleared and excused herself saying she needed to see if Jaejoong was okay. Yunho thanked her and turned his attention to his pack, stretching this way and that, even though there was a bit of pain as he did so. “It’s been far too long you guys. I can’t imagine how it would feel to be a wolf for thirty straight days after feeling how good it was to be like this after eleven days.”

‘Yeah thanks for rubbing it in Yunnie.’ Yoochun teased. ‘And thanks for making everyone question their uality you tall gorgeous bastard.’

Yunho laughed. “Cut it out Yoochun. Let’s go with the others now, we should be moving through soon.” The wolves followed him as he moved, except for Minho who just laid there watching from a distance feeling more than a few emotions at this point. However, when Yunho put his hand on Taemin’s shoulder he stood up and growled lowly before catching himself and shaking his head.

‘What the hell am I doing?’ He growled and scolded himself before still finding himself moving over to them and sitting between Yunho and Taemin, just listening to everything going on around him.  And by everything he meant the argument going on between Kibum and Jonghyun, the panicked stuttering going on between Yunho and the now conscious Jaejoong and the curious questioning between Junsu and Yoochun.

“Enough with your growling Jonghyun, I have no idea what your issue is lately. Why are you forever growling at me for absolutely no reason?!” Kibum was almost at wits end with his werewolf that seemed to only be capable of two things. Growling and being mad.  “What did you switch personalities with Minho or something?”

Yunho heard this and laughed. “He’s jealous Kibum.”

‘Yunho!’ Jonghyun whined.

“Aww Jjong is that true? Are you jealous that I look at other men?” He paused and began to rub his head. He pulled away suddenly and narrowed his gaze “Well too bad. I can look wherever the hell I please.” His tone was flat and this made the growling start up again. Ignoring them, Yunho turned his head to Jaejoong.

“How are you feeling?” He asked the black haired boy who stared at him with wide dark eyes.

“I-I’m Okay…” Jaejoong was feeling a bit dizzy at the rich tones to Yunho’s voice that sent his heart racing and made his cheeks flush. “H-how are you doing Yunho?” He asked looking at Yunho’s bandaged side, and lower back.

“I’ll live.” He said simply giving him another smile. It was all too much and Jaejoong slipped into unconsciousness again.

“Oh you’re so dramatic Jae.” Kibum spat with a roll of his eyes but quickly smiled as he knelt down to slap at the boy’s face to wake him up again. “Well look at you Yunho, you managed to overstimulate Jaejoong without even laying a finger on him. That’s a very attractive skill to have.” Kibum said suggestively with a wink and Jonghyun’s possessive growling ripped through the air making Kibum’s expression change drastically. “Oh what in the actual is your problem Jonghyun?! I swear if you don’t stop it I’m going kick you in the balls. I don’t even care if that doesn’t do anything for a wolf.” Yunho and the wolves all laughed at the scene. Momentarily.

‘Stop acting like you’re his mate Jonghyun.’ Yoochun teased.

Junsu added himself into the conversation in an attempt to distract Kibum from Jonghyun. “I wonder what everyone else looks like, I’m so curious to see now.” As he spoke he focused on his wolf, his fur affectionately with a small smile on his face. “I think they’ll all be as attractive and built as Jinki and Yunho.”

“Yeah, everyone except Jonghyun. I bet you he looks like a little midget dinosaur. Jaejoong can we please trade?” Kibum asked with a pout.

Jonghyun looked stunned and deflated noticeably at Kibum’s words, walking away to where Kibum’s mother was and growling softly as he did so.

“Aww Key look at what you did!” Taemin said with a frown.

Kibum turned and saw his werewolf walk off and he shrugged. “That’s his problem not mine.”

“Kibum go apologize to him.” Junsu said firmly.

“What?” He asked when he realized that all three of his friends were looking a bit upset with him. He groaned and rolled his eyes. “Fine. I’ll go freaking apologize to him right now.” And with that he dragged his feet over to where Jonghyun laid down, crouching near him.

Once they saw that, the three fledglings turned their attention back to one another.

“Well Jae did you think he would look anything like this?” Junsu asked.

“No not at all, then again I never thought about it before.”

Junsu turned to Taemin. “What about you Tae have you thought about it?”

Taemin jumped at his name being called and he quickly shook his head. “N-no I haven’t actually. I can’t really picture Minho as a human really.” He looked down at his wolf a bit puzzled as he tried to figure out what he might look like.

Jaejoong caught his attention soon after. “That was the same thing with me, but now I can’t picture Yunho as a wolf now that I’ve seen him.”

“Well I can tell you what the others look like, Minho excluded of course.”

‘No Yunho, let it be a surprise.’ Yoochun barked.

“What did he just say?” Junsu asked.

Yunho laughed “He says to not tell you guys.”

“Aww no fair!”

The conversation was stopped as Jaejoong’s father called everyone over, the light and almost naïve air that surrounded the group dissipated almost immediately, being replaced with a tense and nervous one. They almost forgot what was going on and that they were trying to escape from creatures that wanted to kill them.

“If everyone is rested up and able to move, I suggest we make haste and go forth to further separate us from what threatens our very lives.” After a few minutes of everyone packing up, they continued through the labyrinth that they found themselves in, surprisingly led not by Jaejoong’s father, but by the butcher Taemin and Minho had met earlier in the day. On his shoulders were a few of the saddlebags of meat that Taemin had left in his store.

“Minho look, it’s the butcher from earlier.” He said with a smile and Minho looked where his master was looking taking notice and growling lowly in response.  “Let’s go talk to him.” He said with hints of curiosity and excitement in his voice despite the situation.

Minho however didn’t move, and let Taemin and the butcher catch up.

“I want to thank you Minho.”

It was Yunho who spoke to the werewolf. He looked at Yunho but said nothing.

“You helped find the fledglings and protect my pack and for that I will be forever grateful to you.”

Minho just snorted and rumbled something lowly in response before moving up to where Taemin was, suddenly feeling the urge to be away from Yunho. The alpha male just smiled.

“What’s his issue Yunnie?” Jaejoong said before blushing and apologizing repeatedly. “I-I’m sorry. I won’t call you that anymore.”

Yunho smirked. “It’s fine Jaejoong. Don’t worry about it.” He cleared his throat before continuing. “As for Minho? It’s probably just everything that’s happened still bugging him. It’s been a pretty eventful eleven days for him, and who know how his trip up here was. He’s not a bad person though, that much is obvious, and I think you know that as well.” He flashed a smile at Jaejoong, but was distracted by a few girly giggles of female vampires and fledglings staring at the shirtless male. He smiled and waved at them and while he was distracted with that Jaejoong leaned over to Junsu and whispered

“Is it bad that I have the strong urge to strangle the life out of them right now?”

Junsu looked a bit shocked at first and burst out in his unique laugh.

“I think you may have hit your head that last time you fainted Jaejoong.”

Jaejoong smiled and rolled his eyes. “You’re probably right Su.”

 

-----------

Posted: 6/5/2012

Hello everyone :3 here is the next update, I hope you like it. It's a bit longer which I like, and it's definitely a light-hearted chapter in comparison to the other ones, which I felt the story needed. I also think you guys will appreciate some fledgling werewolf interaction which has sort of been lacking lately, so hopefully this makes up for that. See you all again soon =D