Chapter 8: Eighth Door on the Left

From Livid to Loyal

 

Taemin’s face was pressed against his large bedroom window, his breath fogging up the glass as he stared down at the yard at the brown black and tan wolf curled up in the snow, slowly becoming whiter as the minutes passed.

“Tae baby come here. Let me take a look at your cut.”

Taemin puffed out his cheeks and released the air he held in them with a heavy sigh. “Do you think he’s cold out there all alone and in the snow?” The boy asked without moving. From this distance, Taemin was able to feel sorry rather than terrified for the werewolf.

“No I doubt it. They’ve got all that fur for a reason right? I highly doubt it’s for fashion purposes, because if so, their coat colors are all wrong…” He got up from Taemin’s bed and sighed, walking over to him. “Why are you worried about him anyways? He tried to kill you back there. He did it to himself.”

Taemin sighed again, pressing his hands up against the window as he continued to peer through it, his bitten hand slowly balling into a fist causing a small trickle of blood to ooze from the small but deep punctures. “But it’s my fault… If I would have kept the muzzle on him till after the others ate, this could have been avoided entirely. It’s all my fault Key.” His voice cracked. Contrary to popular belief, vampires weren’t all stoic, emotionless and graceful creatures that most people imagined them to be. Taemin was pretty sensitive, and very caring. He was quick to cry only when his feelings were really hurt or when he felt as though he did something drastically wrong. This was the only reason Kibum never harassed or scolded him for it. But he wasn’t exactly going to baby him about it forever.

“You’re probably right about that, but the situation itself wasn’t something we could have predicted. Remember your actual wolf was killed, no one knew that you’d end up with another bad apple with an attitude problem. There was nothing that could have been done about it.” He rubbed his back affectionately as he spoke. “Now let’s try and seal your wounds up okay?” he asked with a small smile. Taemin nodded and turned away from the window after a minute and before Key could even do anything Junsu and Jaejoong burst through the bedroom door like bats out of hell.

“What the hell?” Kibum asked while holding Taemin’s wounded hand.

“Don’t try and seal it Kibum, it’ll turn the skin black and it’ll flake off. Our saliva won’t seal it.” Junsu said frantically.

Kibum laughed slightly. “Well duh. Vampire saliva and werewolf bites don’t mix. You need you rub it down with silver powder to kill off the bacteria from the bite first. Everyone knows that.”

“Key… I think you’re the only one who knows that because your mother works with medicine.” Junsu said flatly.

“Oh. That could be true too. I am always reading about things like that. You can’t ever be too careful you know. You didn’t actually it right?” He asked while scrunching up his nose.

“No. I wasn’t sure if it would do something to my tongue so I just let it drop down onto Jae’s hand. Why?”

“Well good, because it tastes like sulfur. The taste stays with you for a few hours and it dries up your tongue for a while, how smart of you to not do that.”

Junsu’s face scrunched up in disgust.

“So I’m not going to die?” Jaejoong asked with a hopeful look on his face.

“No Jae, you are not going to die. You will however be in a lot of pain when the powder gets rubbed on.”

“I don’t care as long as I know I’m not going to die. All the pain in the world is more acceptable than death.”

~

“! Just kill me! Just kill me now so I don’t have to feel this anymore!” the vampire wailed as the course grains of silver were rubbed over his wounded hands.”

“Jae I need you to sit still otherwise this is going to hurt more than it has to.”

“That’s easy for you to say Key. You aren’t the one who has to sit in the chair. Getting the skin rubbed off of you and grains of silver sand rubbed into your open wounds like salt rub on pork! You said it was powder not coarse grains of silver pain.”

“Wellit looked like powder in the picture. I’m sorry, stop whining it’ll be over soon. Tae while my mom finishes with the whiner let me do you.”

Taemin’s head shot up at the choice of words from his friend and stared wide eyed. “U-uhm, what?” his face grew red.

Kibum rolled his eyes. “You bite. Let me rub the silver on it so we can close it up.”

“O-oh. Okay.” Taemin said, almost positive that his wouldn’t hurt has much since it was only a few punctures. But he soon found out he may have been wrong since as key rubbed it onto the ‘infected’ areas it felt like thousands of tiny needles were pricking his skin and scraping at the wounds.

 He winced and hissed in pain, trying to hold back his urge to cry out like his friend had moments earlier. By the time it was time to wash it out with water, Jaejoong’s wounds were already headed over and pink. The skin was very delicate and weak so it needed to be bandaged to prevent tearing. Unlike wounds caused from anything else like another vampire, the healing process from a werewolf bite wasn’t a quick fix and would take about three days to a week to fully heal. In vampire time that was equivalent to a month. outside of the room the wolves all sat by the door since they weren’t allowed in due to the use of silver.

‘What a day this has turned out to be.’ Yoochun said with a sigh as he laid down.

‘You’re telling me. This was supposed to be simple, although, the smell of the vampires doesn’t even bother me anymore unless I think about it. So that could be a plus.’

‘Well Changmin that could all change tomorrow once you’ve had time to actually process everything. Once you wake up in the morning, you may forget where you are and your sense of smell will probably drive you to do something stupid before your common sense kicks in. That’s why you all will be sleeping in cages.’

‘What the hell do you mean we’ll be sleeping in cages Jinki?!’ Yoochun said with a low growl, ears pressed back in dissatisfaction.

‘It’s a safety precaution. It’s either that or you sleep outside in the snow with Minho.’

‘What? Minho’s outside?’

‘Yeah in the yard, eighth door on the left if you're curious to where exactly. That's the door to the yard. It was for biting Taemin Yunho. You remember what Junsu said, Taemin was bit as well.’

‘Serves him right.’ The black alpha male said with a rumble.  He turned his attention back to the door, the screaming that he heard most of the time made him feel really bad and he was a bit upset with himself about being the reason for it.

As if reading his mind Jinki spoke. ‘It was all an accident Yunho. Everything should be fine now. The screaming’s stopped.’

Should be. Doesn’t mean it is.’

‘Stop being so negative. Everything was fine when we went to get Taemin, and everything will be fine. Vampires can’t die from werewolf bites…right?’

All the wolves gave unsure looks to Jonghyun’s question. Vampires walked by them warily in the hall and this bothered Yoochun.

‘What the hell is it with everyone? They look like they’ve never seen werewolves before.’

‘Most of them haven’t. This clan hasn’t had many talent bound fledglings that are sent off to the school. Therefore, most of them have never been around our kind before, needless to say they go based off of stories from the grapevine and said stories are usually never anything good.’ Jinki said as he stood to stretch.

‘How do you know all this stuff Jinki?’ Jonghyun asked.

‘I talk to people. The benefits of being an Omega include the air you give off, it’s approachable and people are more likely to give you information for it.’

‘Then do you know what exactly makes a fledgling… ‘talent bound’?’ Yunho asked with a tilt of his head.

Jinki looked up for a moment as he considered the question before answering. ‘I don’t really know the specifics, and the vampires seem keen on keeping that much away from outsiders, but I do know that being talent bound means that instead of being the run of the mill blood er they have special abilities that can range anywhere from telepathy, compulsion, illusion, telekinesis, and even small scale control over certain elements. However they don’t figure out what their talent is until it’s dug up at the school. The whole point of their academy is to filter out what their talent is. It’s a pretty big deal. But having an ability means there is competition to be the best at the school. So if you have three telekinetically capable fledglings, you better believe they are plotting ways to make sure that only one of them graduates. And that’s where we come in. werewolves, as you already know by now are capable of inflicting damage to a vampires skin, and you’ve seen what our bites can do to them. We are also capable of damaging our own kind without a second thought if we feel threatened enough. That’s why they chose us. Because we will protect what’s ours and destroy if we feel what’s ours is being threatened.’

The wolves all took in their omegas words in awe at how wise and knowledgeable he sounded.

‘What do you mean ‘what’s ours?’ Jinki?’ Changmin asked with a tilt of his head.

‘Werewolves are very possessive. That’s a wide known fact. As much as we belong to them, they belong to us. It’s like that when the need to protect comes to play. That’s the mindset that those four will develop after some time. Even you, if your calling is either an alpha or beta.’

‘Oh… I guess that makes sense.’ The youngster said looking at his large paws.

‘But not to worry, you still have two years before you’re nineteen. Lots of time to figure it out.’ Jinki said with a reassuring wag of his tail. Before they could continue their conversation, the door opened and all the vampires stepped out, two of the four had their hands bandaged.

“Everything’s fine you guys, in a week they can take their bandages off.” Junsu said with a smile. Jaejoong backed away slowly from the pack, obviously a bit traumatized from the events. Junsu noticed this and laughed. “Oh come on Jae, they don’t bite purposely.” He tried to demonstrate this by approaching Yoochun, who instinctively bared his teeth and growled at the closeness of a stranger, causing Junsu to back up a bit startled. He immediately whined in apology, lowering his head and pressing his ears back. Yoochun had an issue with strangers that were attributed from an event from his childhood, and it was difficult for him to let strangers near him. Not wanting Junsu or Jaejoong to get even more bad ideas or assumptions, Yunho stood up and moved under Junsu’s still outstretched hand, arching his back up like a cat to he could have his fur . Junsu’s posture relaxed and he pet Yunho. “See Jae? Nothing to worry about, they’re friendly enough.” He turned back and smiled at the skittish vampire.

Kibum scoffed. “Regardless if they’re friendly or not they are here to serve as protection. That’s why they willingly came here.  You should already know that with the exception of Minho who obviously has some serious issues, their intent isn’t to purposely hurt you, and if you stick with that mindset it’s going to be a long thirty days probation period where all you have around you is a bunch of fluffy mutts. So it up and don’t pull stupid moves like that again Jae. They have their ways of settling it. If it was really serious, I’m sure Jinki would have shifted, and his would have done something to stop them.”

Jaejoong looked down at his sneakers bashfully. “Alright I get it I’m sorry.”

“If you get it then pet him.” Kibum said with a smile.  Jaejoongs eyes widened in shock.

“N-no that’s okay. Maybe some other time.” He said backing up. Kibum was going to say something but was cut off by Junsu who was looking around a bit frantically with his brows furrowed.

 “Hey you guys… where did Taemin disappear off to?”

 

-------------------

Posted: 5/24/2012

Here is the second update for the day you guys~ Also today is SHINee's 4 year anniverrsssaarrryyy~ Hurrah! This might be it for today. I hope you guys aren't bored with the story x_x How do you like everything so far? I hope you like it. Any favorite characters yet?  ffttt there I go askingthe readers silly questions again =.= I highly doubt you guys pay attention to the authors notes anyways XD  REGARDLESS. I will see you guys in the next update~ Thank you for reading as always <3 =D