Chapter 20: Regroup and Rescue

From Livid to Loyal

 

Minho was elated at the fact that Junsu’s instinct to flee was activated the minute he saw the bears come around the corner chasing after the male wolf. The only issue was now he was a liability, and the bears would more than likely pursue the fledgling instead, somehow he needed to steer Junsu towards the house so he could go with the others. He let out a loud isolated bark that startled the vampire, and ran alongside him, making eye contact for a moment before rushing ahead of him with a burst of speed. Doing this was going to tire him out faster, but it needed to be done so they could lose the two shaggy beasts that were out for blood.

Junsu followed the male, effortlessly making a sharp turn to the right after Minho decided to dart into a pathway, skidding against the snow as he did so last minute to throw the bears off as best as he could. He knew they wouldn’t be able to stop themselves to turn and used that opportunity to push himself to his limits and sped up again, further increasing the distance between him and his pursuers, hoping to lose them entirely. He panted hard as he ran, hopping over bodies and cutting around corners in order to make sure the bears couldn’t track them easily, and he could hear the vampire’s footsteps against the hard wind blowing against him and his ragged breathing which was a good sign .Somehow they ended up at the plaza again, and for Minho that was a good thing because he knew the way to the house from that point on. Soon they were at the steps that led up to the manor and Minho slowed down drastically to catch his breath, but didn’t completely stop. He bounded up the stairs, quickly and a little clumsily making his way to the front door and scratching at it for someone to let him in. He could hear the voices behind the door saying it could be the one of the animals and to get away from the door. He looked to Junsu who was jogging up behind him, and waited for him to bang on the door so they could be let in. Minho nearly stumbled through the door, panting heavily, his muscles feeling a bit unstable. The vampires all crowded around the fledgling. In that crowd was Jinki. Minho called out to him, catching his breath as he did so.

‘Jinki!’ He panted. ‘Jinki you need… to tell… Therians…Yoochun and Changmin are still Missing.’

The Omega moved over to the tired male who was sitting and shaking some. He was happy Jinki was in his human form already.

“What is it Minho?” He asked getting the attention of the survivors and fledglings immediately.

‘Those animals.’ He huffed once more, pausing to steady his breathing so he could talk more clearly. ‘Tell the vampires that they’re Therians. Tell them that Yoochun and Changmin are still missing and that there are a total of four of those creatures going after the vampires.’

“What’s Minho saying Jinki?” Taemin asked as the wolf spoke to Jinki.

“He said something about Thebians? Theorians? Thespians? ”

“Therians?” Taemin asked.

“Yes. That. He said those are what’s been terrorizing the town, and there are four of them. Yoochun and Changmin are still missing. What about Yunho and Jonghyun? Are they okay? Jaejoong, Key and Taemin told us they were fighting them when you led them here.”

Minho saw the look of hope in the eyes of the two fledglings that owned the wolves in question.

‘No. But I have to go back out there to find the others so we can figure out a way to kill them or drive them out. Do they plan on evacuating?’

Jinki relayed the message, and Jaejoong’s father stepped fourth towards the wolves. “There are underground passageways that were built here incase Therians did find us, leading out into a cave around two miles down, but the problem with this is that it was built as an underground labyrinth to confuse any would be attackers the entire way through. Most of the older adult vampires that knew the way have been slaughtered in their attempts to save the fledglings.”

Minho looked at the one hundred and fifty some odd vampires that stood in the room and knew that most of them would probably not make it, given that a majority of them were very, very young.

‘Why haven’t they gone yet?’ Minho asked, turning his attention to Jinki.

“He wants to know why you have yet to flee.”

“We are not leaving without Yunho, Yoochun, Jonghyun and Changmin. Two of the wolves are out there right now defending us; we all decided as a group that we will wait as long as possible before making our departure from here. If the Therians make their way here before the wolves do, we will go.” Jaejoong said affirmatively. His father looked at him with a slight sigh and nodded in agreement with his sons words.

‘That is the most foolish thing that I’ve heard. Let them know I said that.’

Jinki laughed and relayed the message, getting a few laughs from the group.

“Indeed it is, however it was even more foolish for a pack of wolves to go up against creatures that no one really knows about or understands. Running into battle blindly is even more foolish than procrastination.”

‘Touché. Actually that brings to question this; Why is it that they don’t fight against them?’

“He wants to know why it is you guys refuse to fight against them. Clearly you outnumber the threat.”

Jaejoong’s father’s expression hardened. “That is exactly the reason why we have lost so many. Now that we know they are in fact Therianthropes, it would explain why we’ve lost nearly six hundred of our kin in the span of an hour.”

The statistics shocked Minho. ‘What does them being what they are have to do with why so many were slaughtered?’

“He wants to know what that has to do with why so many were lost.”

“It’s simple wolf, Therians are invulnerable to Vampires entirely. Any offensive behavior towards them has no effect. Then there is the rumor that they are capable of conjuring up illusions. No one knows for sure, but surely that also has to do with how they were able to kill so many, given the speeds at which we can run. Creating fake dead ends, or making the vampires believe that there were more enemies than there actually were. Things like that would also contribute to the deaths.”

‘Tell him they can shape shift, which explains why no one ever really knows what they look like.’

“Minho says the reason no one knows what they look like is because they are capable of shape shifting.”

There was hushed chatter amongst the vampires at this new knowledge and the air changed to a slightly panicked one.

‘I think it would be wise if a majority of the vampires stayed below ground just in case they do show up. At least a majority would have a head start during the escape. Jinki. Would you be opposed to coming with me to search for the others? You’re the only one capable of shifting into your human form. They’re more than likely trapped behind closed doors, and bringing vampires would be useless if they have no effect against the Therians. Plus, they’re vulnerable to werewolf fangs. I tore off a nice chunk of one of them. Let them know that.’

Jinki told the vampires what Minho had said and shifted into his wolf form.

“Be careful you two.” Jaejoong’s father said as he opened the door, letting them out and locking the door once they set foot down the snow and blood covered stairs.

‘We need to be quick Jinki. I know you can’t fight-’

‘Correction, I’m not supposedto fight. I am very capable of defending myself. This would actually be the one situation where I am allowed to strike because my lifewill be in danger once we set foot down those steps.’

Minho laughed at the Omega’s words.

‘Either way. If we run into trouble, I need you to run ahead and look for the other two no matter what. Got that?’

The omega nodded in understanding.

‘Let’s go then.’ Minho said as they took off in search of the werewolves that were missing, snow falling down to the ground lightly.

 It took some time and the snowfall was a lot harder by this point, but they eventually found Changmin, trapped beneath a large Shipping crate that essentially prevented him from really being able to move around much. After instructing the understudy to lay down and curl himself into a tight small ball; something a bit impossible for the larger than average youngster, Minho placed his paws on the edge of the crate, digging his claws into the wood as he pulled it down towards the ground, tilting it completely off the younger male. Once he realized he was free, he sprang towards the two older wolves, yipping and prancing around in joy, obviously happy to be free.

‘Let me guess, someone trapped you in that crate right?’ Minho asked.

‘Actually no… I was hungry and I smelled food, I  nudged around those crates too hard and the one on top of that pile right there fell on me.’ He whines, pressing his ears back in embarrassment. Jinki sighed.

‘Leave it to our Changmin to be the one who traps himself in the event of a crisis.’

‘Crisis? what’s going o-’ He stopped, the scents of blood suddenly catching his attention. He looked around at all the red scattered about the wall, snow and everything. ‘What happened?’ He asked awestruck, taking a seat in the snow.

‘Did you not hear anything?’ Minho asked with a growl.

The younger shook his head. ‘No. I’ve been asleep for… a while I think.’

Jinki sighed again. ‘Of course. You are one of the heaviest sleepers we know…wait a minute.’ Jinki said, suddenly serious as something caught his attention. The wolf moved over to a small puddle of blood and sniffed it for a while, seemingly trying to filter out the scents. After a while his head shot up and looked back at the other two.

‘What is it Jinki?’ Minho asked, turning towards the Omega.

‘This is Yunho’s blood.’

 

------------

Posted:6/2/2012

Hokay here is the update you guys and as you can see I even included another teaser image. The reason there is a version without snow, is so you can kind of appreciate all the blood splatters. Notice anything specific? What do you guys think of this one? I hope you like it, but I also hope you like the chapter :3 I don't think i'll be doing another image for a while... maybe once they get to the school. Would you believe that we are actually still in the BEGINNING of the story? @_@ As always thanks for reading and subscribing =D and be sure to comment with your feelings thus far. See you all again soon <3