Chapter 13: Lucky Number 13

From Livid to Loyal

 

Everyone was walking together in the snow with idle chatter among the vampires and their wolves. Changmin followed along, deciding it would probably be more beneficial to stick with Junsu and Yoochun for the day to not only get a lesson on what Beta’s do, but to help keep him from doing something unintentionally malicious and dangerous. It took fifteen minutes, but they did manage to reach the plaza, which was bustling with the noise of pedestrians, and shop keepers advertising their sales and wares. Yoochun was nervous, the noise made him a little skittish, and it wasn’t because of the actual activity itself, it was the looming fact that soon they would split up into their little groups and he would essentially be alone. Junsu spoke to him calmly and reassuringly, quite nervous himself about the whole thing. They had a list of things they needed to get and although a majority of the stores were located in the plaza, some of the other ones were further off the main roads into the more quiet areas.

“Okay Taemin you need to wander off to the butcher, Jaejoong is going to going to go get the books that we had sent to us from the academy, I’m going to get the uniforms that we need to wear for the first day and Junsu is going to get the blood rations for the week. Is everyone clear on that?” Kibum asked as they stood around the plaza surrounded by vampires of all ages, an invisible spotlight on the group. Stares, murmurs and faces were directed to the young vampires, two of the four did not enjoy the attention on them while Taemin and Jaejoong felt the urge to slink away.

‘I thought vampires couldn’t go out in the daylight.’ Jonghyun said a bit confused.

Changmin, excited that he knew a bit of information that was useful spoke with a wag of his bushy tail. ‘That’s true, but I was told that it needs to be direct sunlight. The area that they live in is usually overcast all year with thick cloud cover. It’s very rare that the sun itself actually shines through. That’s why its snows often and rarely ever gets warm. And they can be out in the sunlight for small periods of times if they’re young. The older the vampire, the better the tolerance to the sun.’

‘Actually Changmin that’s where you are a bit wrong. Over the centuries their genetic makeup has in fact changed a bit. Before it used to be that they had to reach a certain age before their bodies actually took on the change and that their main diet was blood. But as I said things changed. The sudden decline in their population, along with the massive issues they had with the werewolves made it so they received some vampiric abilities way before their body officially went through the change. That includes their speed and agility, their tough skin and the ability to help their wounds heal with their saliva. At the school there is going to be a sort of seminar about it for the werewolves, so you can better understand it. At least that was what I was told.” Minho said suddenly garnering stares of shock and surprise at his sudden flow of knowledge.

‘How… how do you know all of that?’ Changmin asked a little defeated by the older wolf’s correction, but in awe nonetheless.

‘I overheard the older vamps talking while I was undergoing their stupid temperament test which involved me being trampled and tugged at by their parasitic spawn like some stuffed toy. I had to do that for ten minutes and I couldn’t growl, snap or even give any of them the evil eye. All while they sat there and talked. Taemin had this expression on his face that showed he had no belief that I was capable of passing, so to prove him wrong I took it like a champ and passed.’ He said with a slight shake of his fur. ‘They didn’t think I would be able to hear them over the screaming and shrieking of the kids, or maybe they were just unaware of the fact that I could understand every word that they were saying, but either way I heard quite a few interesting things. Apparently fledglings need to reach the age of twenty before they actually become legitimate vampires. So the young themselves can wander about in the sunlight as… well I guess the only good way to describe it is that they’re essentially humans with abilities and super tough skin until after they turn twenty and need blood every day rather than once at least once a month.’

The discussion continued for a little bit longer; looks were given to Minho by the wolves that could only be translated as confused not only at his willingness to converse with the other wolves, but also at his willingness to educate them without any snark in his tone. It abruptly ended when Kibum spoke.

“Oh, that’s right, before we go off on our own. Remember our order numbers are thirteen. Not three not eleven, not twelve. None of that. Lucky number thirteen. Anything else will not be taken. Got that? Come on Jonghyun.” Kibum said before Jonghyun came to him, hopping away from the other wolves almost immediately. Once they were just figures mixed in the crowd of people Yunho spoke curiously.

‘Did anyone else smell this scent of strawberries coming off of Jonghyun? Or is it just me imagining things?’

‘I noticed it too. But his coat was obviously groomed, so that could be the reason why. Kibum looks like the type to be a bit of a clean freak. He’s a bit of a diva actually.’ Yoochun said flatly.

The other three wolves snickered at his comment and soon they all dispersed, Minho and Taemin to get the food for the wolves from the butcher, Yunho and Jaejoong to get the order of books from the post office, and Junsu, Yoochun and Changmin to get the blood rations.

 

-------------------

Posted: 5/29/2012

Hello everyone! I told you I would be doing a post on my birthday and here it is, my first post as a 20 year old XD~ I don't know if I'll do the 'adventures' of the wolves and vampires in one long chapter, or if I should do them in four seperate chapters. STILL DEBATING. Oh and as for the cameo appearance that i've mentioned before. I already have 3 werewolves. and only one vampire. so I won't be accepting any more werewolf applications. Just need two vampire ones now and I'll be set. ANYWAYS see you all next update ~