Chapter 12: 12 Steps

From Livid to Loyal

 

“Well it’s a fine idea since it represents most of what they’ll have to be dealing with in the school. And I assume there isn’t much of a choice if its standard protocol. My issues with the whole idea are that this area hasn’t had much werewolf activity in well over two decades rights? Most of the vampires here probably have never seen a werewolf before. As your father has told me, this isn’t your original home. Your clan was chased up north by some sort of creature that specifically kills your kind, so most of the vampires are young.”

Jaejoong nodded to Jinki. “Yes that’s right. But the people of our town knew ahead of time that there would be wolves among us. And even though the need to act against them will always be deep inside the mind of the adults, and the need to flee will always be in the minds of the fledglings, as a result from the previous relationship between the two kinds over a century ago, they know that these wolves are the ones who willingly came to aid us and will not attack them purposely, lest they and their packs face the consequences for their actions.”

“Yes, but moving to a bit of a personal thing. Yoochun here…Yoochun is very unpredictable around strangers. If you haven’t noticed it took him a lot longer than the others to warm up and get comfortable during the one on one time you and the wolves had. That’s because as a pup he was kidnapped and passed around by all sorts of people in some sort of illegal trade. Eventually he was sold off to the actual ‘customer’, a witch doctor, who would eventually use his organs and body parts for all sorts of concoctions. During the three months that he was missing, he watched a few slaughters, sacrifices and rituals and was traumatized for quite some time. He was found eventually, by his mother. Did I happen to mention his mother is the alpha female of our entire pack? As in, she is the top female above all other family groups that have their own hierarchy. Needless to say once Yoochun went missing all hell broke loose and when she found the witchdoctor there was no sign he had ever existed afterwards. He was a bit malnourished but otherwise okay in terms of his physical condition, but mentally and emotionally the damage was already done, and he grew very wary of people he didn’t know.” He paused to look down at the werewolf he was talking about who was staring back up at him with his ears against his skull as if a bit embarrassed by his tale before speaking again. “I know it seems a little odd for a predatory creature as big and menacing as a werewolf to still have the fear of easily being kidnapped, but it’s been an issue that we have witnessed and had to deal with for quite a few years by now, and although it’s not as severe anymore, there will still be the occasional growling or snapping when he is approached by someone he doesn’t know. It’s less likely if he is surrounded by those he is familiar with, but on his own it can be a problem, that is why, Junsu, you need to help keep him as calm as possible and try to make him as comfortable as you can if you are just going to have them walk through your town on your own.”

Junsu gave Yoochun a sympathetic look and pat his head. “I don’t think any less of you for it. At least your reaction is to protect yourself rather than run away scared.” The vampire reassured him. Yoochun’s tail wagged for a moment before a low rumbling came from Minho who chastised the beta for his fears and trauma. Yoochun growled back and the two of them had a growling match that was immediately stopped by Yunho.

“What just happened Jinki?” Taemin asked having moved away from the two irritable males.

“Nothing important. They’re acting like pups and teasing one another for silly reasons. But where is Kibum?” Jinki asked suddenly realizing he and Jonghyun were absent.

“Oh… they’re upstairs still. I figured we would come to you first before talking to Key, since he told us yesterday to do so when we were ready to leave.” Jaejoong answered trying to stop himself from blushing at the thought of what he and Taemin nearly walked in on. “I’ll go get him. Yunho, you stay here with the others in case they start acting up, I’ll be right back.”

Yunho tilted his head curiously ‘Okay then I guess.’ He responded just for the sake of doing so.

Jaejoong’s idea of being right back was taking his sweet time getting to Kibum’s room. He didn’t want to walk in and see them still going out it, whoever Key’s latest conquest was this time. He contemplated knocking, but if he did that his friend would have already known he had seen or heard something; they had this type of closeness that allowed them to knock without entering. Taking a deep breath, Jaejoong opened the door to find Kibum grooming Jonghyun’s fur, complaining about the loose hairs he was letting out and being alerted by the sigh Jaejoong released.

“Oh what’s up Jae? Are you guys ready?” He spoke normally, a little too nonchalant for the information Jaejoong knew. It made the situation a bit one-sidedly awkward.

“Oh, just about…” He paused, biting his lip and looking at the ground before looking back up at Kibum and continuing. “Key, you need to be a bit more careful next time. Taemin almost saw you and…whoever it was you were with. And how could you do that with Jonghyun in the room? Wasn’t that uncomfortable?” Key continued to brush the werewolf’s fur, discarding the hair that collected in the comb into the wastebasket near him, clearly unfazed by his friends words.

“No. It wasn’t and I’m glad he didn’t have to be exposed to that. However doesn’t he already know?” He tilted his head at Jaejoong, looking at the raven haired vampire curiously.

Jaejoong shook his head. “No. He hasn’t been told yet. Junsu was easy to tell. He’s pretty adaptable and actually seemed to be… aware regardless. Taemin is just… I think the idea would utterly freak him out.”

Kibum sighed heavily in understanding. “I know what you mean; he’s like our little baby you know? I feel like I need to protect him from everything that’s out to get him. Speaking of which, did the four legged devil in disguise pass the test? Oh never mind, the fact that Taemin didn’t bust through my door in tears already tells me he did.” He sighed and grumbled incoherently to himself.

Jaejoong nodded in affirmation. “Yes but out of curiosity… who was that this time Kibum?”

Kibum smirked, for a reason that Jaejoong couldn’t see, or actually feel. “You know I never kiss and tell Jae.” He teased, chuckling at the expression the werewolf had. Even if it was limited and not as expressive as it would be on a human face, he felt as though he could practically read it and it made him laugh inwardly.

“Oh please. You normally don’t keep anything like that from me.”

“Well this time is different.”

“What are you ashamed?”

“I guess you could say that…” He paused and chuckled to himself again.

“What?-”

“My self-control was non-existent this time, and you know I like to be in control. That’s why I rather not talk about this particular escapade.”

Jaejoong snickered and sighed leaning against the door way. “You know there is a twelve-step program for people like you right?”

“And you know there is book and ‘self-help’ guide for people like you right?” Kibum teased, winking at Jaejoong, making the vampire blush.

“W-whatever Key. But stop primping Jonghyun already, we are going to head outside, it’s all for nothing. Come on.”

Kibum sighed. “I wouldn’t expect you to understand that sometimes things take time to look presentable, given the fact that you are eerily attractive naturally and don’t need to put effort in to look good, but in the case of these beasts, it’s hard to find anything about them attractive. Jonghyun growled at Kibum who laughed. “Calm down tiger, you’re the wolf of Kim Kibum. You won’t ever be outside looking ragged and worse for wear. Let’s go.” He said, placing the comb his vanity and shutting the door behind him as they went to join the rest of the group.

“While I can’t tell you who he is, I can tell you that the was fantastic and I can’t wait to introduce you to his friend soon.”

Jaejoong was taken aback. “His friend? What on earth makes you think his friend would be a good in bed? Does he know from experience?”

“I guess you could say that, but from what I’ve been told the people he hangs around are all…animals in bed.” Kibum laughed and the action made Jaejoong a little wary.

“The fact that you find this entire conversation amusing scares me.”

“And the fact that you don’t is even more hilarious to me.”

“Whatever Kibum. Do you know where exactly we are going to go for the field test?”

“Of course I do. The busiest place we have. The plaza.”

 

-------------------

Posted: 5/28/2012

OH MY GOODNESS! IN ONE HOUR I WILL OFFICIALLY BE 20 YEARS OLD X_X. It honestly scares me to think that this will be the last update I do as a teenager =___=. But even if tomorrow IS my birthday, I will try to do an update regardless <3 It would be a great birthday gift to get 60 subscribers XD but thats only a wish~ anyways SEE YOU ALL NEXT TIME~