Chapter 2: Two is a Crowd

From Livid to Loyal

 

‘I think now he is just doing it on purpose.’ Yoochun said after they were all loaded into the truck after a bathroom break.

‘He’s stubborn. I guarantee if we weren’t also in the truck, they would let him lay in his own filth.’ Yunho scoffed.

‘I’m just glad this is going to be over soon.’ Changmin whined. ‘My legs are feeling seriously stiff.’

‘Yeah well all I know is that there are going to be major self-control issues once we get inside. From what I was told, the urge to rip everyone’s throats out is going to be strong. But that’s just natural and that’s also why Jinki’s here with us though. To keep everyone levelheaded. What can you tell us about the vampires Jinki? Since you’ve had the most amount of exposure to them.’ Yunho asked and everyone even the stranger turned their attention to him, waiting for his response.

‘Well. They’re like humans. Except they have this odd odor. It’s not bad, but it’s very…offensive and makes you angry. It’s like the feeling you would get if an outsider stepped into your territory like it’s okay. But just like us, they’re all a mixed bag of personalities, temperaments and backgrounds. The younger ones, fledglings  they’re called. They’re usually very…submissive and frightened when they see our kind. It’s usually the first time they’ve seen us and because they’re still young and lack any threatening abilities and they don’t know how to handle our kind.’ He looked at the black faced wolf.

‘And you. I bet you’re thinking that makes them easy to kill right? Well you’d be wrong and stupid. What most fledglings don’t realize is that they’re very powerful physically during this stage. Usually they only realize this when they’re put in a desperate situation, and they can easily snap your spine in half like a toothpick.’ This made the wolf shift uncomfortably at the thought before he continued. ‘They have it hard. Not only are other fledglings trying to kill anyone from other clans so their clan has dominant power and control within the school, but they also have territorial and…temperamental wolves, some of which have no real control over themselves, trying to wipe them from existence. It’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation for them. And as you all should remember, Bullheaded wolf excluded… the vampires spare and provide for our families in exchange for a small handful of us serving and protecting their young from danger, since it was something we were born to do and seeing as though most of our population looks for any reason to start a fight with strangers. A bit of a double-edged sword, but the systems been in the works for almost a century now and almost everyone, bullheaded wolf excluded… seems to be fine with the arrangement.’

‘Speaking of arrangement.’ Jonghyun interjected. ‘What is Changmin doing here with us anyways? He isn’t even old enough to be assigned yet.’

‘Changmin, as you can already tell is big for his age. But he’s one of the odd wolves we have that can be whatever he wants. Some are born Alphas, betas, or Omegas and then there are those who are born with the ability to become one of the three if they study and learn the ways long enough. The reason he is here with us is because we have the three types, and he’s from our pack.’ Yunho said.

 ‘And then we have the wild card with the attitude. He’s a good example of what not to be. Basically Changmin is here as an understudy to figure out what pack position best fits him. Maker of the rules and the one who has to make the tough big decisions as well as putting themselves in danger for those in the pack, enforcer of the rules who have to maintain order without resorting to getting physical unless it’s absolutely necessary or peacekeeper, who needs to diffuse the situations with their overall presence and aura, as well quick mind and wise words and have to get used to only defending themselves when their life is absolutely threatened. They cannot use violence by any other means, and have to deal with the mistreatment that comes with the territory of being the submissive one ninety-nine percent of the time. The choices are all very difficult, since the pros and cons are on a bit of the extreme side.’

Yunho’s description and explanation made the younger  wolf whine and press his ear back. The way he worded things made him nervous.

‘And you forgot to mention that if he picks the path of the Alpha, there will always be a dominance battle and a need to fight if he comes across another with the same calling. To be a good Alpha, one must exhibit control over their urges to lash out. That’s why there is usually never more than one alpha in assigned groups. Two is a crowd. And a very violent crowd indeed.’ Jinki added, all while looking at the bound wolf.

He had a very odd vibe about him, and part of him wondered if he was the main reason they had him come along. With the exception of Yoochun, who was fine in a pack he knew, but terrible around strangers, there was no real need for him to be around. Yunho had very good control over himself and would easily be able to keep the others in check. Jonghyun may have been a Beta, but his personality was very… laidback and submissive most of the time so he wouldn’t be much of an issue either. As for Changmin, His personality was still neutral for the most part, and he was young. He wouldn’t be able to rebel against Yunho, although once they actually came in contact with the vampires themselves, it would be a battle of will and instinct. But if the Alpha said to stand down and to control themselves, they would have no choice but to listen.

 This one however, was definitely going to be a problem. Jinki knew if he wasn’t bound up, he would probably rebel against Yunho and raise hell. The issue was that no one knew if he was the way he was because he wasn’t from the pack, and was just pissed at the humans and the whole ordeal itself, which was common, or if Yunho was setting him off. Of course, no one would be able to tell because he was forced to stay quiet with the exception of a constant low growl and was forced to stay in a laying position due to his binds. He couldn’t pose opposition or a real threat to Yunho or anyone else for that matter because he physically couldn’t. Yunho on the other hand could do so, because he was free to move and speak. 

For the sake of your safety Bullhead… I just hope you are irritated because you haven’t been able to eat or drink and because you’re bound up and doing this against your will… because if you are indeed what I think you are, then this is going to be a rough and stressful experience for you.

Jinki sighed at his thoughts, and noted how although Yunho paid no mind to him, the other wolf kept growling lowly, a sound that became like background noise over the past three days, and stared at the pack’s designated alpha. The reason wasn’t all too clear, but Jinki had a feeling it was out of irritation. Soon enough, the truck stopped and everyone was alert to the sound of silence. They were finally here and the air went to a tense and nervous consistency at the realization. Soon clicks from the locks could be heard and light flooded the inside making the six pairs of eyes shut for a moment, before opening up. One by one they were taken on the harness restraints and connected to a chain-link lead, similar to one used in sled dog races, but instead of two rows, it was one long row, and they were arranged according to rank and temperament.

Yunho was in the front, Jonghyun was behind him, the stranger was behind him, followed by Yoochun and then Changmin. The reason for this was so the newcomer couldn’t have complete control in one direction in case he decided to be rebellious. He was still muzzled, for the safety of everyone around him, and himself, but still growled, stubbornly digging his claws into the snow blanketed ground as if making his refusal to move willingly obvious to everyone. The only one who wasn’t leashed up was Jinki; it was his job to keep everyone calm as they were led through the gates and into the compound where they would be surrounded by nothing but their ancient enemy. Instincts would take over and there was bound to be some snapping, growling and urges, but they needed to learn how to control themselves, so with the exception for the outsider there would be no muzzling. If they failed to keep everything under control, those who acted out extremely would be immediately injected with silver. No questions or second chances.

Yunho started moving first, following the human that led the way, even if having someone ahead of him made him irritated, but was met with a restraint against the lead. He turned around to see and hear a viciously growling and stubborn wolf, whose name they still didn’t know.

 He growled back, baring teeth and standing his tail up, asserting his dominance. ‘Move your . Now.’ He snarled.

 Before the outsider could even defy or listen, he was met with a powerful shove by Yoochun, sending him forward a few steps. ‘Boss said move. So I suggest you listen or you will be dragged over there whether you like it or not.’

He challenged Yoochun by plopping down on the snow. Yunho was getting ready to make him move by force, but Jinki, doing his job was there before he could, showing just how good of an omega he was. He nudged the defiant wolf gently with his nose against his shoulder and whined softly, showing he meant no threat. ‘I’m sure you have a family somewhere. Best believe the vampires have them under their watch if they have you, if you keep acting out like this, they will deem you useless, kill you and your family will suffer. I know the situation is stressful but please, don’t give them the satisfaction of killing you so easily, especially when you can’t defend yourself. That is the most disgraceful way for a wolf to die and you know it. So please. Get up. Live to fight another day.’

The wolf made a sound, and stood up, almost begrudgingly, and began to move. Jinki thanked him and began to flank the others, moving in a constant circle around them as they walked, trying to keep the peace, and making sure to stay behind Yunho for as long as possible before crossing over to the other side.

‘That was amazing Jinki. You got through to him so easily.’ Changmin nearly yipped once the omega was walking next to him.

He wagged his tail. ‘You would think so right? But what if I told you that this was the easiest part. Watch what happens when we cross the gates threshold. The minute the scent hits them, hits even you, you will experience inner animosity that you have never experienced before, and the worst part is that you have to control yourself from acting out against your instincts. That’s when my job gets hard and that’s where my worth is tested on keeping everyone calm, and in turn is where Yunho is tested by forcing himself to keep the others in check, regardless if he has the same mindset to kill everything in sight.’

‘Wow…’ The younger wolf pressed his ears back in concern. ‘Well how much further until we reach the gates?’

‘Actually, it’s right in front of you. We’re already here.’

 

-------------------

Posted: 5/22/2012

Hello everyone~ well then uh. I really REALLY hope this isn't boring the living crap out of you. Really. But the vampires will be brought in very very soon~ Like next chapter soon. maybe.  Also. If you didn't noticed, I changed Jaejoongs Image. It really didn't fit the story, so he's back to black. Although Him with his hair like that was my favorite. BUT yeah. I ramble. I would love to know your opinions so far, your questions and comments are very much welcomed and encouraged. If you enjoy the story, please subscribe if you haven't and leave a comment below. It motivates me to write more~ Anywho~ see you in the next update :3