XXI – Stopping All The Games

Parking Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Woohyun's and Sunggyu's unwritten game became intense. Not only they're playing hide and seek of feelings but, both were now avoiding each other and any forms of communication.

 

It was a week already after Woohyun picked up Sunggyu at the hospital and 4 days after he saw him at the parking lot of Kim Empire. A week that he didn't dare to call or text the elder. He tried his best to be busier than before, tried to continue hiding his feelings, tried to avoid any chats that may lead to hearing Sunggyu's name and tried to convince himself that it's better this way; no communication, no interaction. Maybe the feelings will subside and go away. But who was he kidding? He knew himself that he was already drowning in it; swimming in the ocean of indecisiveness whether he'll do something about it or he'll keep mummed until it dies down. He was certain that Sunggyu isn't ready for anything. The amount of time they have known each other is also the amount of time that the older's relationship with his fiancé ended. He is in a crossroad not knowing if he has to risk their beautiful friendship and ask for a chance or remain friends even it kills him inside not to be able to be someone more important in Sunggyu's life.

 

Sunggyu wasn't any different from Woohyun. He started drowning himself in more and more surgeries. More surgeries and patients mean no time to think about his budding feelings for Woohyun. He never worked to the point that his family will panic because of his too much exhaustion but he worked enough that he will fall asleep instantly when he lay on his bed. It's better that way. The feeling he's having is consuming his heart and he doesn't know if he's ready to feel that way again. It doesn't feel like it's time to give in again to what he's feeling no matter how strong his emotions are.

 

The days that passed turned into weeks and one of them gathered a courage to break the unspoken rule of hide & seek. The game has to stop. The one who broke the unwritten pact is trying to see something for himself; he needed to find out what he really has to do with his feeling.

 

 

One fine day of August 1st week, Saturday, 2 weeks after they both see each other. Woohyun decided to call Sunggyu.

 

"Hello." God, how he missed Sunggyu's voice.

 

"Hyung!"

 

"Hey Hyun, what's up?"

 

"Let's hangout. There's a café near your place just one block away."

 

"Are you asking me or are you telling me?" Sunggyu confirmed.

 

"I'm telling so you don't have any options to say no."

 

"Is this how you get a date when you were a playboy? You're not giving any options to say no? So arrogant Nam Woohyun. Tsk." He heard him joking.

 

"Will you treat it as a date?" Woohyun teased.

 

"Of course, not idiot. Tell me what time, I just woke up."

 

"I'll pick you up in an hour"

 

"Ok. See you."

 

When the call ended, Woohyun tried to calm his heart down again like how he’s been doing for many weeks now. He needed to see Sunggyu not only because he missed him to the point of insanity but also to find out his next move. He needs to know if he can let go of his feelings without even trying or if he wanted to follow what his heart is keep on telling him: to take a risk and take a chance. This meet-up should make up his mind. It's now or never.

 

*****

 

After an hour, Sunggyu heard his doorbell rings. He didn't need to see who is outside, he grabbed his wallet and mobile then went to meet Woohyun outside his door.

 

"You could've waited for me downstairs Hyun." He said to Woohyun while waiting for the elevator

 

"I know but I'll get bored." Sunggyu rolled his eyes to the younger.

 

"So, what's the occassion that I can't say no to your invitation? Do you need something?"

 

"No occasion. I just want to hangout." Woohyun shrugged.

 

"Where are your idiot friends?" It's funny that Sunggyu kept on referring to Woohyun's friends as his 'idiot friends' even though he hasn't met the other 2.

 

"Yeol and I just came from Jeju yesterday so I think he's still sleeping. While the other 2 have always been busy with entertainment life." Woohyun answered as they exited the elevator.

 

"Don't you rest? You should sleep on weekends to recharge."

 

"I'll rest later. Let's go. We're walking."

 

"Wah, Nam Woohyun, you never said anything about walking. I don't want to get sweaty. It's very hot now. Can I remind you that it's summer?"

 

"Hyung, there's no parking space there. Where will I park my car. And walking is good, you know it."

 

"Yes, it's good if you're not working in a hospital. I've spent too much time standing up and walking so I need more time to sit than walk." He complained.

 

"Yeah yeah. Just it up hyung, we'll walk. You can shower later after."

 

Walking under the scorching heat of the sun is one thing Sunggyu hates unless he's on a trip. Summer in Korea is very unpredictable; day will start and the weather is hot and fine then suddenly, it will rain cats and dogs. That's the reason why there are many people coming to the hospital because the unpredictability of the season will make you sick. Stupid Woohyun.

 

And then...

 

There goes the weather, the moment they entered the café, it started to rain.

 

*****

 

Woohyun chose the seat beside the window at the back of the café. It's better to sit somewhere where he can focus his eyes on something other than the man in front of him. He made a mistake of staring the last time because gazing at Sunggyu's face is making him more nervous now.

 

"What do you want hyung?"

 

"Iced americano and you decide on the dessert I don't mind what is it as long as it's chocolate or strawberry."

 

"Ok. Wait here."

 

Woohyun sauntered his way to the counter. He may be acting normal but everything inside him are abnormal: abnormal heartbeats, abnormal breathing, abnormal feeling in his stomach. Why are you torturing yourself Woohyun? He thought. He returned to their table after getting the waiting buzzer.

 

"How's life hyung?" He started to chat.

 

"Busy as always. How about you" Sunggyu answered casually. “Congratulations by the way on the opening of your Jeju branch."

 

"Thank you. We're still busy because of the business expansion but we're nearing the final stage of conceptualization. Are you still going home from work in wee hours of the morning?"

 

"Not anymore but I still finished my job a little later at night."

 

"Is 12 hours wasn't enough hours of work?"

 

"It's enough. I just have my reasons why I have to work beyond 12 hours."

 

"Why?" He asked.

 

"Because..."

 

"Because?"

 

"Just because." The older shrugged.

 

"You're weird hyung and you're different."

 

"I'm not different. I'm still me just tired and unfocused most of the time." Woohyun can't understand why Sunggyu isn't looking straight at him while talking. That's not the usual Sunggyu he knows.

 

"What's stealing your focus?" Before the man in front of him can answer, their buzzer vibrated and he had no choice but to get their orders

 

 

"What's stealing your focus?"

 

You. If only he could answer that but he can't. The feeling that he doesn't want to name is overflowing inside him and he couldn't bring himself to entertain it any further. It's staying too long and he doesn't know if he'll be ready for it. Unless he can admit to himself that it is what it is, he has to keep his mouth shut.

 

"Here's your food hyung." Woohyun put his orders in front of him. He tried his best to be as casual as possible.

 

"Thank you." They ate silently and only the background chatters from other customers are keeping them entertained.

 

Sunggyu was silently observing Woohyun and noticed him playing with his fork while spacing out. There was also something different as well with Woohyun that he couldn't pinpoint. The last time he was with him, he was also lost in his thoughts. The Woohyun he knew was never this quiet.

 

"Hyun." He called his attention.

 

"Huh?"

 

"You're spacing out too much these days. What's the problem?"

 

"Nothing. I was just thinking."

 

"Care to share it?"

 

"It's not important." Sunggyu knew that the man across him is lying. There was something bothering Woohyun and he's just hiding it.

 

"I don't believe you. Tell me, I won't judge you." He coaxed. He then heard Woohyun sighing a little too loud.

 

"Hyung, can I ask you a hypothetical question?" Woohyun voiced out while still playing with his fork and staring at the dessert in front of him.

 

"Sure. What is it?"

 

"..."

 

"Woohyun?"

 

"If one day, you met someone who you knew had a playboy history like me and woo you, would you accept and trust him?" Sunggyu frowned with Woohyun's question. Weird.

 

"Is it really a hypothetical or there's a truth somewhere along the lines of it?" He saw the younger stiffen with his question while abruptly landing his gaze to him. Ok. That's some reaction you have Nam Woohyun. He chuckled. "Look, you can tell me the truth, did you find someone you want to pursue but you're having second thoughts because of your reputation in highschool?"

 

"It's just hypothetical hyung. Everyone around me are getting into a relationship, even one of my idiot friends got one too, so, I was wondering if a philandering history will affect my future relationship."

 

"Did it affect your first serious relationship?"

 

"No. But it's different because I was in a relationship with someone who grew up in US and we knew the culture and acceptance there is quite different here."

 

"Why am I the one you're asking that question?" Sunggyu asked curiously.

 

"Because you're someone who already experienced love two times and got cheated many times." Woohyun said matter-of-factly.

 

"Rub it on my face would you idiot!"

 

"Seriously hyung just answer it. It's just hypothetical."

 

"Ok. Fine. It depends. It depends if I knew the person or not." He can see Woohyun's forehead moving into a frown looking confused.

 

"If I just met him and he immediately wants to date me with little information and the only thing I knew is that he's a playboy previously and he changed, I don't think it will work for me. My past relationships gave me trust issues so if I don't have any proof that he changed then it will be no. But if for example someone like you who I already knew well and had a tangible proof that he changed, then I might trust him and try but with reservation." Sunggyu continued his explanation. Will I b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter