XLIII - Stable, Alive and Asleep

Parking Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Please, feel free to correct me about medical concepts if something wasn't right. It had been a long time since I practiced and worked as a nurse and I am only relying in my stocked knowledge which I know some were outdated.

 

Five days had passed and Woohyun remained unconscious. His cuts and bruises started to heal. The casts and chest tubes were still in place and he was still hooked on mechanical ventilator.

 

Everyday, Sunggyu would check Woohyun's chart for all the radiologic reports and laboratory reports. He wanted to know everything that was happening with Woohyun. He didn't want to miss out on anything. His presence in the surgical ICU caused discomfort to some nurses and it pushed them to give extra care to Woohyun because they were afraid to be reported.

 

The news about him being the nephew of the owner of the hospital spread like a wild fire and became a hot topic because no one knew about it. Sunggyu couldn't care at all on what people were talking about him behind his back about the privileges he had just because he is the nephew of the owner. He never asked for those to be given to him. And he didn't care if even the head of pediatric surgery department was now being nice to him because of his connections to the management. He never cared at all. All he cared was for Woohyun to wake up. All he wanted was Woohyun not to be on the hospital bed trying to stay alive.

 

If only he could, Sunggyu would never leave Woohyun's side. But he had an oath to heal sick people; and his little angels needed him. Thus, he never took any leave of absence. He worked like he usually did. With the medical pager given to him temporarily, he felt a little bit at ease that he wouldn't miss any of Woohyun's progress. But not everyday his pager beeped, a good message popped up; because on Woohyun's third day in the ICU, he received a message that he was dreading. On top of that, his name was paged on the hospital's public paging system.

 

 

Flashback

 

 

Sunggyu was currently doing his final stitch on his patient when his medical pager beeped.

 

Beep... Beep... Beep...

 

Sunggyu looked at his pager and asked the circulating nurse to check the message. He cut the suture and asked Sungjong for the dressing to cover the incision.

 

"Dr. Kim, from ICU. Code Blue."

 

Sunggyu left the dressing of the operative site to the surgical resident after promising to go back for the MD notes. He then bolted out of the door after removing his gloves in the scrub room. He ran 2 floors up because the surgical ICU was located two levels above the OR floor.

 

"Dr. Sunggyu Kim to Surgical ICU stat (immediately)."

 

"Dr. Sunggyu Kim to Surgical ICU stat."

 

He was paged publicly and he thought his heart was going to explode because it was beating so fast.

 

When he reached Woohyun's private cubicle, Woohyun was already crashing. The rhythm on his heart monitor was unreadable. Fear crept in his heart until he felt a comforting hug behind him. He looked back and his brother was there. He weeped on Myungsoo's chest silently. When he looked back, the code team were still defibrillating him. He gathered all his strength and went inside the room that was crowded with nurses.

 

"Another 1 milligram of Epinephrine." The doctor on the response team ordered. One nurse was doing the compression, another one carrying out the doctor’s order, one nurse was operating the defibrillator and another member was on monitoring and time keeping. There was also a respiratory therapist for airway management.

 

"Charge to 250"

 

"Clear!"

 

All hands left Woohyun's body and the defibrillator paddle was placed on middle of Woohyun's chest and below the heart. He watched Woohyun's body jerk a little.

 

Sunggyu checked again the monitor, the rhythms were still shockable. The chest compression started again. And he felt like he needed to do something.

 

"Dr. Baek, can I do the compressions? Please?" He pleaded.

 

"Nurse Soohyun, let Dr. Kim replace you." He immediate placed his two hands in the middle of Woohyun’s chest; doing compressions while crying."

 

Push one more milligram of Epi."

 

"Charge to 300"

 

"Clear!" Sunggyu removed his hands and watched the heart monitor that was now showing asystole after the shock.

 

"No no no... Woohyun stay with me." He continued his compression. He could still hear the monitor's flatline sound.

 

His uncle came in while he was doing CPR to Woohyun.

 

"One more Epinephrine. Soohyun, take over CPR. Dr. Kim, give way to Soohyun." The nurse took over again until the monitor showed that there was a heart rhythm where they could to use the defibrillator again.

 

"Doc, V-Tach (Ventricular Tachycardia - fast abnormal heart rate).

 

"Charge to 360"

 

"Clear!"

 

The cycle of defibrillating and resuscitating Woohyun restarted again while he was in his uncle's arms.

 

"Gyu, go over Woohyun's head. Talk to him. He can hear you. Talk to him and tell him whatever you need to tell him. Go!"

 

Sunggyu followed his uncle. On normal circumstances, he would not be allowed to do it, he shouldn't even be allowed inside as well; but his uncle instructed everyone to let him do what he needed. He was given all the privileges and he would accept everything as long as he could watch over Woohyun.

 

He went towards Woohyun's ears and started whispering to him. He was careful to not touch Woohyun so he won’t get in the way of reviving him.

 

"Hyun, please you can't do this to me. You cannot go. You can't leave me. Don't do this please. Stay with me. Stay please." He said softly while sobbing. "I love you Woohyun, stay with me. Come back."

 

He could only hear faint sound of voices around him. He countinued whispering repeatedly to Woohyun's ears to stay with him while the code team continuously did what they have to.

 

"Charge to 360"

 

"Clear!"

 

And finally,… "Sinus Brady (Sinus bradycardia-normal heart rhythm but with slow pulse) doc."

 

After hearing the nurse, Sunggyu immediately but carefully hugged Woohyun's unconscious body. “Hyu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter