XLII – Is It Too Late?

Parking Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Dongwoo arrived at Sunggyu's apartment after 10 minutes and punched in the door code. When he went in, he saw his bestfriend's handphone smashed by the door's hallway. No wonder, he never answered any of their calls earlier. He trudged his way towards Sunggyu's room and saw him covered with duvet, sleeping. As much as he didn't want to wake him up, he didn't have any choices. He could see that he cried the whole night and it was evident on the swelling around his eyes.

 

"Gyu, wake up." He shook his shoulders a little hard. When he found no signs of awakening, he tried shaking him harder.

 

"Gyu Gyu, please wake up." He calmly said and Sunggyu started opening his weary and puffy eyes.

 

"Dongwoo? What are you doing here?" Dongwoo saw him looking at the wall clock. "What are you doing here at this hour Dongwoo? Couldn't it wait for another 5 hours? If this is about Woohyun, please Woo, I don’t want to talk about it now. Go away.” He saw him burry himself again under the quilt.

 

"No, it can't wait Gyu. Please, get off the bed. I'll get you something to wear." He stepped towards Sunggyu's closet and got him jeans and a white shirt. When he returned back, Sunggyu was still lying on the bed, not moving.

 

"Gyu, please listen to me. You would want to get out of that bed now and change your clothes. We might be late which I hoped not. If you don’t move, you might regret it. So, please Gyu listen and get up now." He vaguely told Sunggyu. And he caught his attention with what he said. He needed his bestfriend composed before breaking the news of Woohyun’s accident. He knew that no matter how hurt and angry Sunggyu was, he would breakdown once he knew.

 

Sunggyu resigned and got off the bed. “Woo, what's this all about and where are we going at this hour? And I couldn’t understand anything you said. Could you be any more clearer?” He asked confusedly while following Dongwoo's instruction blindly.

 

Dongwoo kept mummed. He never talked since they went out of the apartment hastily until they arrived at the hospital that Hoya texted him. Luckily, they brought Woohyun at SNUH.

 

*****

 

Being woken up by Dongwoo abruptly made Sunggyu befuddled. His bestfriend wasn't replying to any of his questions and he had been following him mindlessly since they were at his apartment.

 

"Woo, tell me what's going on and why are we heading to my hospital?" Sunggyu saw the road they were traveling which was more perplexing.

 

"I'll tell you later. Please relax and calm down first. I want you composed when I tell you." What his bestfriend said made him more uneasy. Dongwoo’s serious face didn’t help him simmer down.

 

When they arrived at the East Wing of SNUH, Dongwoo parked the car and after he shut off the engine, he turned to his bestfriend and he had a look in his eyes that he couldn’t fathom.

 

"Woo, can you tell me now? Why are we here? Are you sick or is someone sick? Visiting hours will start at 6:00. Why are we here at 4:00 in the morning? Do you want me to operate on someone? Or did someone die? What?" Sunggyu couldn't help but ask too many questions because he was getting more puzzled and nervous.

 

"I want you to breathe and calm down. And remember, it’s no one’s fault, ok?” He nodded. “Gyu, I picked you up because we need to be here. YOU need to be here." He heard the way his bestfriend emphasized his last sentence.

 

"Why do I need to be here?" His brows furrowed. The anxiety was already eating him inside.

 

"It was Woohyun. He was in a car accident." That made him dizzy. He couldn't grasp anything that Dongwoo was saying after that. All he could see was his bestfriend's lips moving and talking but without any sounds. All he heard was the words, Woohyun and accident in one sentence.

 

Sunggyu felt Dongwoo's arms around him and he started bawling on his bestfriend's shoulder.

 

"Sssshhhh... Gyu, Woohyun will be fine. He'll make it like you did. Calm yourself so we could go in."

 

He started wiping away his tears and collected himself.

 

"Where is he Woo?"

 

"At the OR."

 

Immediately, Sunggyu ran towards the building with Dongwoo following him. His tears were still falling earning a baffled look from people he passed by who knew him; but he didn't care anymore. Woohyun was fighting for his life and he didn't care if he was a crying mess. What he looked like at the moment wasn’t important.

 

When they reached the OR floor, everyone was at the waiting lounge. Myungsoo ran to him and hugged him tightly, also crying. Sunggyu cried on his brother's shoulder with his hands clutching his shirt. Dongwoo guided them to sit down on the chairs instead of standing in the hallway.

 

It took a while until Sunggyu soothed down a bit. When he did, he started asking questions on what happened. And Sungyeol who was still in shock and still crying was the one who started telling him everything making him weep more.

 

"I should've talked to him properly and not on the opposite side of my door. I should’ve opened the door earlier and let him in. I shouldn’t have let him go when I saw him turned away." He felt Dongwoo and Myungsoo's arms around him, consoling him as much as they could.

 

"It wasn't your fault Gyu. It's no one's fault. Don't blame yourself. It was an accident just like what happened to you. Stop crying. Woohyun wouldn't want to see you like this." Dongwoo’s heart broke seeing the guilt-stricken face of his bestfriend. If Woohyun wouldn’t make it, Sunggyu would never forgive himself.

 

 

 

A little later, Woohyun's parents and brother arrived. Mrs. Nam who was crying, ran to hug Sunggyu.

 

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry... It was my fault. I’m sorry." Sunggyu kept on repeating over and over to Woohyun's parents.

 

"Gyu, it was an accident. It was not your fault. Why are you blaming yourself? My baby is a fighter. He'll get through this. We will get through this." Mrs. Nam was trying to pacify him even he could feel the fear in her voice.

 

The police came in after to talk about the accident and it was Dongwoo and Hoya who dealt with it and gave a statement. The three kids weren’t in good condition to talk at the moment.

 

Woohyun would be fined for speeding but no one could care less about it. Mr. Nam left with the police to settle everything leaving Woohyun’s older brother to calm his mother.

 

*****

 

Time ticked without any news. Sunggyu, Myungsoo and Sungyeol were sitting on the floor while the others were on the waiting chair. Everyone was calm now and silently praying that Woohyun would come out alive.

 

"Hyung." Myungsoo called his attention.  He was leaning on Myungsoo's shoulder for comfort. His tears already dried up and his eyes were already stinging and tired of crying.

 

"Hmm… why?"

 

"I'm sorry." It made him baffled as to why his brother was apologizing.

 

"Why were you sorry Myung?"

 

"I should've listened to Woohyun hyung to change Hyuna's team for his project. I knew his problem with her." He looked at his brother with more confusion and he saw him looking at Sungyeol and Dongwoo. His brows wrinkled more when the two nodded at Myungsoo.

 

He heard his brother sigh. "Woohyun hyung's project... I was the one handling the account. Our company was involved on it."

 

"Why would you handle an office building renovation? It wasn’t even a house renovation and office renovations weren’t in our company’s list of services." The more Myungsoo talked, the more he couldn't understand.

 

"Hyung... it was not an office renovation." Myungsoo looked at his lap. He gazed at him waiting for whatever he was going to tell him. "He was building your dream house."

 

Upon hearing what Myungsoo said, he was in daze and his tears started b on his eyes again threatening to fall after realizing what Woohyun just did.

 

"What? Why... Why would he do that? He... he... shouldn't do that." He stated in between his sobs. Dongwoo got off his seat, crouched in front of him and enveloped him in his arms, rubbing circles on his back.

 

"Woo, I... I never... told him to do that. I never asked him to do it." His tear ducts open again and the tears wouldn't stop.

 

"I know Gyu. We know. But Woohyun, he loves you so much that he kept it a secret from you. He accepted Hyuna's team even though he knew he would run into a problem if you met her; because he wanted the best for your house. Sungyeol and I were there when he asked Myung if he could change Hyuna but you know your company’s policy. He was building you your dream house because he wanted to give you your childhood dream. He kept it a secret and risked your relationship because he wanted to give you everything, even the world Sunggyu. He would give you the whole world if he could; just to see you smile and happy. That's how much Woohyun loves you Gyu. He would never betray and hurt you. We warned him about everything but he was too persistent and determined no matter what we tell him, he never listened.” Dongwoo's words made him cry more than he cried the whole night.

 

“Woo, I don't need that damn house, I just want him not to be inside the OR fighting to be alive. I don't need that dream if it meant Woohyun will not be with me. I don't care about anything now. I just want Woohyun."

 

His heart hurt more because he let himself doubt Woohyun again when all Woohyun did was make him happy and give him the kind love that he never got from his past relations

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter