XLVIII - Bliss

Parking Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Woohyun had been discharged a week after he woke up from coma. As agreed upon, he would be staying at their family house until his fractured healed and casts were removed; which would take another three months of limited mobility. There was nothing he could do about it. And there was also nothing Woohyun could do to see Sunggyu who he never saw since he left the hospital. His voice returned and they hadn't had any decent talk yet.

 

He couldn't understand how Sunggyu could do it; be caring, clingy, loving when he was admitted in the hospital only to shut him out after he went home. Woohyun hadn't seen or heard from Sunggyu for two weeks. He never picked him up on weekends which he had been looking forward to. He was beyond worried. He was mad; mad of the situation because he couldn't do anything. Mad at Sunggyu for giving him so much negative things to think of. He didn't want to end up more emotionally broken on top of being physically disabled. So, he just waited because maybe Sunggyu just needed time.

 

 

Sometimes, he hated himself for being so weak when it comes to Sunggyu. Because the moment he saw him after another week of excruciating pain of waiting, he welcomed him with open arms. He couldn't get mad at him nor ignore him because he knew that Sunggyu always had his reasons for doing things; may it be rational or irrational.

 

"Are you mad at me because I only showed up now?" Sunggyu asked him. It was already night time and they were sitting at the patio that was connected to the side of their house.

 

"I was. You never visited, called or picked me up for three weeks and I had been waiting. But I knew, you have your own explanations which you have to tell me. Because, if you're not going to tell me anything, I might need to show you the door and make you leave. Gyu, you couldn't be so damn sweet and clingy for days then shut me out for weeks. So better make me understand why." He said without even looking at the man beside him.

 

"I will tell you that's why I'm here." He waited for him to speak.

 

"When you left the hospital, I wasn't really planning to take this long to see you or talk to you. With so much things that happened for a month, I decided to give you space to think about everything; to think about what you really wanted to do, to think about yourself and to think about us. I realized that I couldn't just impose that we'll get back together after the things I put you through. Those moments when I was being clingy at you in the hospital, I often felt like I was swaying you to be with me when you shouldn't be but, I couldn't help myself but stick with you. The memory of you dying in the OR and in the ICU, I couldn't get it out of my mind. I was too terrified. I was too scared that if I didn't cling on you, I'm going to lose you again. I was afraid that when you sleep again, you're never going to wake up. So, I stuck by your side even if I didn’t know if I have a right to. I know we love each other but I need you to think if being together is what you really still want."

 

Woohyun look at Sunggyu who was staring straight down the path going to the garden while talking.

 

"I feel so lost after you left. It felt like I was worse than I was when you were lying unconscious. After a week of giving you time, I was supposed to show up here and pick you up but things happened. I never wanted to tell you because you will get worried too much when all you needed to think about was how to recuperate."

 

"What happened?"

 

 

Flashback

 

It's been 3 days since Woohyun had been discharged from the hospital and Sunggyu hadn't been calling him or visiting him for that same amount of days. It was agonizing for him but he decided to do it so Woohyun would have time to think about what he wanted for their relationship without him influencing him by his presence. On that week after he woke up he felt that he was manipulating him to take him back. Thus, he wanted Woohyun to think without him hovering around.

 

But it didn't mean that he was doing well. It felt like he was dying not seeing Woohyun and not knowing if he was ok or if he was feeling well. There was always a fear inside him that he will lose him on his sleep.

 

His health wasn't also in a good condition and he knew it. He had no appetite but he ate a little for the sake of working. He had been sleepless for the past days and having nightmares and insomnia yet he still worked too much so as not to think about Woohyun for a while. Ever since he went back to his apartment, he wasn't even allowed to drive. It was either he commutes to and from work or their family driver would be picking him up. He was tired and weak but he still did what he had to.

 

 

"Clamp... Suction... Please hook one pack of red blood cells, he's bleeding too much."

 

Suddenly, Sunggyu's vision became blurry and hazy. Dizziness was overcoming him. He started dropping some surgical instruments on the floor which startled all the people inside the OR.

 

"Jjong, hold all the clamps ple..." Everything went dark and he collapsed.

 

"Dr. Kim! // Hyung!" The nurses inside shouted in shock. No one could move fast since they were on a sterile area and they had to be careful not to contaminate it.

 

In the end, Sunggyu was carried and wheeled out on a stretcher by the surgical interns to the emergency room.

 

*****

 

Sunggyu opened his eyes with his head still pounding and spinning. Then he recalled the surgery. He sat down snappily startling Sungjong.

 

"Hyung, lie back down." Sungjong pushed him back.

 

"What happened with the surgery?"

 

"It went well hyung. Dr. Hwang took over for you. Hyung, you scared me there. Your uncle will be here soon. He wanted to talk about your health."

 

Sunggyu closed his eyes because he knew he will be chastised. The door of his room opened and his mother ran towards him followed by his uncle and Myungsoo.

 

"Baby, are you ok? Are you hurt?"

 

"I'm fine mom. I just need rest."

 

"Gyu, did you know why you collapse?" His uncle asked.

 

"I know. Don't scold your favorite nephew uncle. I know what you're going to say." Dr. Kim sighed.

 

"You have a low immune system Gyu and you are working in a hospital that are full of sick people. If you don't take care of your health, you might get sick. Have you been eating? I had a full laboratory work-up on you and the results were not good." Sunggyu couldn't look at his mother and uncle because they knew that he had been neglecting his health.

 

"You also looked like you never slept. I thought when Woohyun woke up, you've been sleeping well. If you’re having insomnia, you knew what to do. You’re a doctor for goodness sake! And you're working too much. You know that one could die from exhaustion Gyu. I'll be keeping you here for a week until we got all your lab results back to normal. You will be referred to nutritionist and psychiatrist."  He just nodded. There was no point arguing with them. He himself knew that he needed help.

 

"I'm sorry for making you all worry." Mrs. Kim hugged his eldest son telling him that it's ok.

 

*****

 

For a week, Sunggyu stayed at the hospital without telling Woohyun. He told everyone including Woohyun's parents about his condition. And he made everyone promise not to tell Woohyun because he wanted him not to worry about him more than he was worried about his recovery.

 

Sunggyu w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter