II - Wallow in Pain but Continue Living When Monday Comes

Parking Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The weekend passed like a blur to Sunggyu. He didn't go out nor contact anyone else. His phone was beeping non-stop because his ex-fiancé was calling and sending him messages over and over. But he left everything unanswered. His ex even had the audacity to show himself outside his door but he never opened it for him. He wasn't doing really well but he is trying his best.

 

On Saturday night, he drowned himself on alcohol to forget everything. The pain was more than he could bear. He knew drinking will never be the answer but he needed it to mask the feeling of being crushed inside. More than 2 years of life wasted and he had to pick himself up. He knew he can do it but he needed time for himself to cry over it, to let all out and to bring back the shattered pieces of his heart. He’s done this before. The only difference now was, he’s still alive and well and not confined in four corners of a hospital room.

 

Monday came and another start of the week for Sunggyu. He arrived early at work and did his rounds on the pediatric surgical floor. He typically starts working at 6:00am. Doing rounds first and then after, he has to work in the OR. At 10:00am to 2:00pm, he has his clinic hours. He works 8-12 hours per day depending on the # of patients for consultation and scheduled surgeries. Usually, his surgeries were scheduled in the morning after rounds and in the afternoon after clinic hours.

 

Working and seeing the little angels distracted him from everything. He loves children that's why he aimed to be a Pediatric Surgeon. He didn't want to settle to being a Pediatrician, he wanted the more challenging part of being a doctor. There are only few Pediatric Surgeons in South Korea and he found his niche with his profession. He’s happy with his job and won’t exchange it with anything else.

 

It was around 7:00am when he arrived at the OR theater. His nurse/secretary, Lee Sungjong, had already arrived and prepared the instruments he needed.

 

Lee Sungjong was hired by the hospital a year ago. He met him at the OR and he grew fond of him. He saw his potential as an OR nurse because Sungjong is very organized and efficient at work. He decided to train him under his wing because he wanted a nurse who can anticipate his needs. He even spoke with their Medical Director who happens to be his uncle so he can have Sungjong in most of his OR cases. He also talked to Sungjong about being his secretary during his clinic hours and the said nurse gladly accepted it. With this, Sungjong is getting his salary for 8hr duty in the OR from 6:00am to 10:00am and from 2:00pm to 6:00 to complete his 8hr shift. Sungjong's time in the clinic is paid for by Sunggyu himself since it's his personal request and he arranged everything with the HR.

 

"Good Morning Dr. Kim." Sungjong greeted him and he returned his greetings with a smile. He saw Sungjong frowned while looking at him, he then quickly turned his back because he knew his nurse will ask questions, questions he’s not ready to respond.

 

Sunggyu entered the scrubbing area and Sungjong followed him to prepare as well.

 

"Hyung." He looked at him without saying anything. Sungjong only addressed him as hyung when they were alone. "Gyu hyung, are you ok?"

 

"Yes. I am. Don’t worry about me." And he gave Sungjong a small smile which Sungjong knew was fake. Working with the nurse for more than a year, he knew that Sungjong knows better. The nurse just sighed and not pry on it and he was thankful for it.

 

The whole OR has been very quiet. No one dared to start any simple conversation because the surgeon running the OR was definitely not in the mood for some chit-chats. Clock ticked and Sunggyu finished his surgery which was remarkably done faster than it used to be; because everyone got too focused. He went to the station to prepare the doctor's note while his nurse needs to work with his nurse's notes as well. They still have 30 minutes before the clinic hour starts.

 

"Dr. Kim, can I go first? I will open the clinic after taking my break."

 

"Sure. I'll be right behind you." He replied.

 

------

 

Sungjong looked at his hyung before walking away. He gets his phone and immediately sends a message to Sunggyu's bestfriend.

 

To: Woo hyung

Hyung, something's wrong with Gyu hyung. If you have time, can you visit him before 11:00am. Our first patient in the clinic is scheduled at 11. We're still free from 10:00am until then.

 

He waited for his reply. He really doesn't need to eat; he just used the break as a reason to get out and send message to Sunggyu’s best friend.

 

To: Jjongie

I'll be there in 5 minutes. Can you watch him for me? Thanks.

 

He sighed. He was worried about Sunggyu. It might have only been more than a year when he met him but they bonded really well. He knew something was wrong the moment he walked inside the OR floor. Sunggyu treated him as his own brother than a colleague and he's also a close friend of Sunggyu's younger brother, Myungsoo, who he knew from the university.

 

After 5minutes, Dongwoo came. He let him inside the clinic and started telling him about Sunggyu.

 

"Hyung, I think Gyu hyung has a big problem. The moment he entered the OR, I noticed his eyebags and red eyes. He was quiet than usual and only nodded & smiled a little when greeted. He didn’t even talk the whole surgery and was too focused. It’s not like him." He started.

 

"Are you sure? He hasn't told me anything but I haven't really seen him in a week."

 

"I'm sure hyung. I'm with him everyday so I can pinpoint that something's not right." Sungjong answered and sighed for more than he can count in a span of 2hrs. "Hyung, talk to him before our patient comes. He is very professional but I don't think he should neglect whatever he's going through."

 

"Don't worry. I will. But, where is he? I told you to watch him for me." Dongwoo inquired.

 

"He's still doing his MD notes when I left him and probably he'll be here in a few."

 

The door opened instantly and Sunggyu comes in.

 

 

It's already 10:10am when Sunggyu arrived in the clinic. He noticed his bestfriend after closing the door.

 

"Woo! What are you doing here?"

 

"I'm just visiting you Gyu. What happened to you why do you look like you haven't sleep for days?" Dongwoo answered.

 

Jang Dongwoo, his bestfriend since middle school. They were classmates and inseparable until they had to attend university. He went to medical school while Dongwoo went to business school. His bestfriend is a successful CEO and owned an entertainment training management. No, he doesn't train idols. His business revolves around employing choreographers and vocal trainers for those entertainment agencies to train their idols. He rented dance studios, vocal studios and recording studios for the idols to practice and record. He also ventured in training and giving dance, vocal, instrument playing lessons for those who don't really want to be an artist but want to learn music.

 

He sighed. He knew he cannot hide anything from Dongwoo. If Sungjong can see through him, then Dongwoo has can read him more than anyone. "Jjong, what time is our first appointment?"

 

"At 11:00am hyung."

 

"Ok. I'll be back before 11:00. Woo, let's go." He went out of his office followed by Dongwoo. Instead of going out, he chose an empty office to talk with Dongwoo. He sat on the floor and Dongwoo followed his suit.

 

“So, what is it? Don’t try lying because I would know.’

 

"Woo, I broke-up with him. There will be no wedding anymore." He started telling his bestfriend.

 

"What?! Why?! What happened?"

 

"I caught him cheating and lying Dongwoo." He continued with his story not leaving any details hidden and he star

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter