6

Kang, Hwang, Kang

The student council president sat alone in the council room. It was weird. It felt weird. He was usually... Never alone. The last time he had been alone was... When he was 9. Before he met the twins. After they had come into his life, he was always with one of them or with other people no matter what the situation was so it felt weird when he finally has time to himself. Not that he didn't spend time alone at home but when he was outside. He stared at his lunchbox, wondering what was that unsettling feeling that started growing in his chest. He didn't think it was a big deal to be alone. No, he was Minhyun. He grew up as a single child. He shouldn't feel lonely. 

 

He flinched when the door opened and Seungwoo paused, surprised to see the president there himself.

 

"Minhyun? What are you doing here?" Seungwoo asked and Minhyun quirked a brow at him.

 

"I could ask you the same," Minhyun replied. 

 

"I left my lunchbox here." Seungwoo made his way to the desk he always sat at and pulled out his lunchbox. 

 

"O-oh." 

 

"I don't think you left yours here. Where are the twins?" 

 

"Ah... They're with friends," Minhyun replied while lowering his gaze. Seungwoo rubbed his neck and sat down. 

 

"I see. Well... Uh..." 

 

"You can go if you have lunch plans with friends. I'll be fine," Minhyun said quickly, not wanting Seungwoo to force himself to spend time with him. 

 

"You sure? You seem rather upset." 

 

"I do?" 

 

"Yeah. Or maybe I'm just imagining things. Well, I bett-" 

 

"So this is the student council room," Minki's voice said loud and clear. Minhyun jolted and he slowly peered up. Baekho was there with Minki, still attached by the arm. Seungwoo's eyes widened slightly at the sight of it since it was easy to misunderstand the situation. He turned to Minhyun who just stared. 

 

"Yeah. We shouldn't distu- Minhyun?" Baekho said, clearly surprised to find him inside. Minhyun just smiled thinly. "Where's Dongho?" 

 

"Oh. He's... With the new student." 

 

"You're alone for lunch? Why didn't you tell me?" 

 

"He's not alone," Minki chirped in and pointed at Seungwoo. "There's someone here with him." 

 

Baekho looked at Seungwoo but judging from his closed lunchbox, he knew something was wrong. Minhyun's was open but left untouched as well. "No, I thi-" 

 

"Come on, Baekho. Let's not disturb the student council members, right?" Minki chuckled and dragged Baekho away. Baekho wanted to resist but boy, was the other strong. Minhyun gulped nervously as he felt the uneasy feeling just grow larger within him. Seungwoo didn't quite know what to say either. 

 

"They're not-" 

 

"No!" he cut in and gasped. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..."

 

"Ah. Okay. I'm guessing Minki is just clinging to him then," Seungwoo said and picked up his lunchbox. "You should eat soon. Your food is going to get cold." 

 

"Uh... Yeah... Sure. Sorry for raising my voice." 

 

"It's fine but if you feel something for Baekho or even Dongho, maybe you should talk it out with them too," Seungwoo said before he waved and left the room. Minhyun sighed and rubbed his neck. Feel something? What was he supposed to feel? He didn't really get it. Weren't they just friends? Why should he have to feel anything other than that? 

 

He really didn't understand. 

 

~~~

 

So he chose not to. 

 

He fixed his hair and smiled in the mirror, ready to leave for the day. It was the weekend Dongho had invited him out on and Minhyun was determined to just act as usual. There was no reason for him to be different after all. 

 

That couldn't be said the same for the twins though. Dongho came out from his home, excited and ready to have this rare day alone with Minhyun but when he was outside the gate, he froze. Baekho stood there, hands stuffed in his jacket pocket with his hair tousled upwards. 

 

"Baekho," Dongho said coolly, trying to sound like he had it together when he was just rather upset. Yes, Minhyun forced them to apologise but that didn't mean they had to keep that act up without him. 

 

"Dongho," Baekho responded. 

 

"What are you doing here?" 

 

"Stopping you, of course." 

 

Dongho clicked his tongue and crossed his arm. "You're unbelievable. You're trying to sabotage my date?" 

 

"It's not a date with the three of us," Baekho chuckled and Dongho was going to snap at him when the gate next door opened. 

 

"Oh. Baekho?" Minhyun said in a bright tone that made Dongho step down. "Hey. You going out somewhere?" 

 

"Yeah. With you guys. You won't mind, right?" Baekho asked and Minhyun chuckled, shaking his head. 

 

"Of course not. I'm glad that you're coming together," Minhyun said honestly. Baekho smirked at Dongho who frowned but immediately changed to his cheerful demeanor when Minhyun approached him. "It's fine, right, Dongho?" 

 

"Aah... If that's what you want, of course its fine," He said with clenched fists. Minhyun smiled and nodded. Of course it was what he wanted. Spending time with both of them was always time worth spending after all. 

 

"Great. Let's go then." 

 

Baekho acted as usual, silent and stayed at the back slightly while Dongho was just a tad more irritable although he tried to keep a smile on his face as Minhyun chatted with him. Baekho just liked being there beside Minhyun. While he did want to chat with the other, he wasn't great socially so he just accepted it while listening to Minhyun talk instead. 

 

"Dongho? Dongho!" 

 

"Huh? W-what?" 

 

"Are you okay?" Minhyun asked worriedly when the twin had fallen completely silent as they rode the train to the cafe Dongho wanted to introduce to Minhyun. Dongho smiled and nodded. 

 

"Y-yeah. I'm fine." 

 

"Okay. If you're not feeling well, we can still head back," Minhyun said and Dongho hurriedly shook his head. 

 

"I'm fine! I just feel a little motion sick. That's all." 

 

Baekho jeered at his twin. Yeah, right, like he had that. Dongho shot a glare at Baekho to warn him not to say anything and Baekho just shrugged. Minhyun looked between the two and sighed. "If you say so. Are you two still fighting?" 

 

"What? No. Definitely not," Dongho answered Minhyun who was suspicious but decided not to pursue the topic as they arrived at their stop. Dongho kept as close as he could to Minhyun as usual but he wasn't as upbeat. He was just really disappointed that it wasn't the two of them alone. 

 

"May I take your orders?" 

 

"Americano," both the twins said at the same time. Minhyun chuckled softly and was about to order his drink when they both cut in with, "Grapefruit ade."

 

The waiter smiled and Minhyun took charge instead, "2 Americanos and one grapefruit ade, please." 

 

"Any food?" 

 

"What do you guys think about sharing and we order three different food?" Minhyun suggested. Baekho and Dongho gripped their menus, determined not to go for the same thing again or even say the same words but it didn't seem to work as they both pointed to the same lunch set. Minhyun breathed in and shut the menus. "Some things just don't change so I'll order." 

 

Baekho and Dongho were both frustrated at themselves but was thankful that Minhyun ordered for them. He thanked the waiter and turned his attention back to the twins who were both similarly sulking. He beamed and placed his hands on theirs, making them both flinch. 

 

"I'm so happy," Minhyun said and grinned, making them both blush but Baekho looked away and Dongho smiled widely. 

 

"I'm glad you are. Sorry for making such a mess just from ordering food," Dongho apologised. 

 

"It's okay. I'm glad that not everything about you guys have changed. It almost made me...," Minhyun said but let his voice trail off. He pulled his hands away but Dongho held on. Baekho glared at his twin but Minhyun had already hid his hand. 

 

"What's wrong, Minhyun?" Dongho asked and Minhyun shook his head. He tried to pull his hand away but Dongho held on. "There's something bothering you. You can tell...us, you know." 

 

Baekho sat up and swatted his brother's hand away. Minhyun's hand immediately retracted. "Yeah. You're bothering him now by being so pushy." 

 

"I'm just worried. You look like you're forcing yourself to be with us." 

 

"I'm not. It's just that recently... I've been... Well," Minhyun started nervously. He didn't want to simply put it out there that someone might have gave him the idea that the two like him in a way more than just being friends should be. He might be wrong and they might end up becoming distant from him. Minhyun didn't want that so he thought just keeping it to himself will be fine but looking at the both of them now, one with a concerned expression and the other with a questioning one, he still couldn't tell. "Hey. We are friends, right?" 

 

"Yeah, of course we are," Dongho said immediately. "Where did that come from?" 

 

Minhyun shook his head and smiled. "That's all I need to hear." 

 

Baekho tapped his finger on the table before shaking his head. "What if we want to be more than friends, Minhyun?" 

 

Dongho gasped and kicked Baekho under the table but the other held it in. Minhyun's eyes widened as he looked at Baekho. "What... You mean like... Best friends?" 

 

"No, you idiot, I-I mean-" 

 

"Baekho!" 

 

"Excuse me, sirs," the waiter interrupted with their food before they could go into a full blown panic. All three of them leaned back against their seats as the food was served along with their drinks. "Please enjoy your meal." 

 

Once the waiter was gone, they settled into an awkward silence as they started to eat. Minhyun still wanted to try the other food that he had ordered though so he started staring at their plates. The twins already knew Minhyun well enough and they started to share the food without much questions. They also knew he wouldn't be able to finish that much so it was up to them to finish the rest of the meals.

 

"Do you two have space for dessert?" Minhyun beamed at the two who had just finished the last of the pasta. They exchanged glances and nodded. Of course, if that's what Minhyun wanted. "Yay! Strawberry ice cream waffles or maybe soufflés?" 

 

"You can pick," Dongho said and smiled since he didn't want a repeat of what happened earlier. Minhyun had no qualms with that as he raised his arm to order dessert. Dongho looked at Baekho whose eyes just stared at Minhyun dreamily. He knew his brother loved Minhyun just as much but he didn't want to give him up. He looked at Minhyun himself and felt his heart skip a beat. He wanted to be the one who makes Minhyun happy but if Minhyun was happy with both of them... "Baekho." 

 

"Heh?" 

 

Dongho pointed to the toilet and Baekho groaned, getting up from his seat. Minhyun raised his brows in confusion as both twins headed to the toilet. He blinked and stared at them entering the toilet. 

 

"What?" Baekho asked with crossed arms and an annoyed look. 

 

"I'm sorry."

 

Baekho quirked a brow at Dongho and glanced away. "You couldn't have picked a more appropriate time to apologise, could you?" 

 

"This is appropriate enough. You and I both want to make Minhyun happy so I take back what I say about calling dibs. That's just...unfair to your feelings," Dongho apologised. "But I'm not going to let you try to steal him from me too. So let's have a fair and square fight. Even if he doesn't choose either of us, I... I don't want to make him upset because of us." 

 

Baekho stared at his brother for a moment before he laughed. "Great. You better keep your words. Because I'm not backing down this time. I know I'm not the best with words but I sure as hell will show Minhyun that I like him just as much as you do. So we cool?" 

 

Baekho lifted his hand and Dongho sighed, nodding and taking his hand. 

 

"Yep. We cool."