22

Kang, Hwang, Kang

"So now they seek refuge here?" Seungwoo questioned as the twins were both in the student council room KO-ed after an eventful week.

 

"Give them a break. You have no idea how hectic things have been recently," Minhyun chuckled. Seungwoo caught the change in Minhyun's eyes, of course. He was looking at them adoringly.

 

"Minki has been really busy too," Aron spoke up as he stacked the papers together and clipped them. Dongho perked his head up at the mention of Minki. He had gotten closer to Jonghyun who have also taken a liking to the drama club president so the mention of Minki intrigued him.

 

"He has to make sure his club performs well for the festival after all and with him gone, the juniors are bound to slack off," Seungwoo added. "Daniel is always complaining that he never shows up for soccer."

 

This time, Baekho peeked up at the student council members. Minhyun noticed them and giggled, making the other two turn to him suspiciously. Minhyun coughed and cleared his throat, pretending he didn't just do that. Seungwoo and Aron exchanged glances and smirked.

 

"So, Dongho, which one of you are dating Minhyun?" Seungwoo asked on purpose and all three gasped, looking uneasy immediately except for Dongho who smiled.

 

"Of course I am," he said without hesitation. Baekho frowned and wanted to say that he was too but how would that make Minhyun look? Dongho straightened up and leaned against the seat. Minhyun blushed furiously and Seungwoo gasped.

 

"Really?"

 

"A-actually," Minhyun interrupted but paused. He didn't know how to rectify this or if it even needed rectifying.

 

"Will you look at that?" Seungwoo chuckled. Baekho looked away and pursed his lips. "Always knew you would go with Dongho."

 

"Don't say that," Minhyun snapped and huffed. "I'm..." He looked at Dongho who just showed a blank expression and sighed. "I'm trying your suggestion."

 

Seungwoo stiffened and turned to Baekho who had hid his face long ago. "W-wait. You're serious?"

 

"What suggestion?" Aron asked curiously. 

 

"To date both of them," Seungwoo answered him. Aron gaped at Minhyun and then the twins who had opposite reactions. One looked like he just wanted to curl up and hide while the other was smiling sparkingly bright. 

 

"I mean... We have been together since young s-so... Its not wrong, is it?" Minhyun squeaked, turning embarrassed himself as well. 

 

"I didn't know you're into that kind of stuff," Aron said and Minhyun jumped. 

 

"What does that mean? I'm not into anything!" 

 

"Aron sshi, you have a rival yourself, right?" Dongho asked and Aron turned red but it was frustration instead of embarrassment. 

 

"That new student... Ah. Sorry. You guys don't need to bother about it." 

 

"Jonghyun?" Minhyun said and Aron frowned. 

 

"Yeah. He's your classmate, isn't he?" 

 

"Mhmm. Seems like a nice guy." 

 

"That's the problem," Aron huffed and crossed his arms. "The moment I look away, he's all over Minki." Aron didn't typically talk about his emotions or much at all whenever he was with them so both Minhyun and Seungwoo were instantly focused. 

 

"Maybe you should try what Minhyun is trying too," Seungwoo said jokingly and Aron scowled. 

 

"No way. I'll never be in a three way relationship with that guy."

 

"Why not?" Minhyun asked curiously. "Have you asked Minki about what he thinks?" 

 

"Minki.... Minki isn't interested in dating either of us. I think." 

 

"We didn't think Minhyun would suggest something like that either," Dongho said and Aron pouted. 

 

"No way," Aron said again, still against the idea. The rest just shrugged and didn't push it any further. 

 

"Don't you have soccer practice?" Seungwoo asked Baekho since it was after school hours anyways. Baekho looked up and shook his head, cheeks still red. "Oh. You don't?" 

 

"Not today. Daniel cancelled it. Said to take a break now since the competition is around the corner after our second exams."

 

Minhyun noticed Seungwoo's hands clenching up and wondered if Daniel had lied to him or something but decided he shouldn't in. He rubbed his temples and wondered why do all their relationships feel so messy. In fact, they shouldn't even be this concentrated on relationships. He clapped his hands to get their attention. "Alright. Enough chit chat. We need to get the list for the camping trip ready. Have you decided your own groups?" 

 

"I've asked Minki and he agreed to be in the same group as me. We are still finding for another 3," Aron replied. 

 

"And you?" 

 

"I... Was going to ask Daniel," Seungwoo mumbled. "But now I don't think I will. I'll probably go with Jaehwan and the rest. My friends." 

 

"Okay. What about you two?" Minhyun asked while looking at the twins. 

 

"I want to be in a group with you," Dongho said and Baekho pursed his lip. 

 

"Baekho?" 

 

"I... Me too," he mumbled. 

 

"You just can't tear the three of you apart, huh. But Minhyun will be super busy handling the events during the trip," Seungwoo chuckled. 

 

"That's okay," Dongho replied quickly. "As long as I get to be in the same group as him." 

 

"Okay. We need to find another two then." 

 

"Want to join us then?" Aron asked since him and Minki made up two people. 

 

"You can ask Minki about it or else we can always find other people. No rush," Minhyun replied and Aron agreed. 

 

-

 

"Daniel." 

 

"Yeah, Seungwoo?" 

 

"Was what you told me today a lie?" 

 

"Eh?" Daniel turned to Seungwoo who was fiddling with the remote control as the two sat in the living room. "What lie?" 

 

"You said you had soccer practice today but Baekho said there wasn't any." 

 

"A-ah." Daniel froze and bit his lower lip before sitting up on the couch beside Seungwoo. "You found out..." 

 

"What were you doing then?" 

 

Daniel grabbed his bag and dug through it before pulling out an envelope. He handed it to Seungwoo who wasn't sure whether to be mad or just understanding. He opened the envelope so he could decide. He pulled out the slip and gasped softly as he read through it. "The teacher brought me to a sports college today and I got a recommendation." 

 

"And you couldn't just tell me?" Seungwoo asked with a raised brow. 

 

"Well... I wasn't sure if I was going to get it and I didn't want to come back just to give you disappointing news if that happened."

 

"But you got in so-" Daniel cut Seungwoo off with a kiss. Seungwoo blushed and straightened his arm to stop the soccer ace from doing it again. 

 

"So... Seungwoo... Do you want to go on a date with me?" 

 

"Eh?" 

 

"You confessed to me the other time and I couldn't give you a proper answer back then because I wasn't sure where I was going to go in life but now that I have this, I have a path to follow and uh... What I'm saying is I like you too." 

 

Seungwoo stiffened and blinked his eyes. "You... You do?" 

 

"Yeah. I wouldn't have with you if I didn't." 

 

"Eh?? But that-" The secretary flailed a little in confusion. He completely misinterpreted Daniel's advances and now he felt embarrassed. Daniel caught his arms and grinned. 

 

"It's fine. Seungwoo, will you be my boyfriend officially?" 

 

"A-ah. Yes."

 

Daniel cheered and pulled Seungwoo into a tight hug. "Great! Oh. I'm not the only one getting the recommendation, by the way."

 

Seungwoo was stunned and could only stare as Daniel pulled out another recommendation letter behind his. 

 

"Baekho got one too!" 

 

"Kang Baekho?" 

 

"Yep."

 

"Oh."

 

+

 

"Dongho, you... You take competitions?" Baekho asked when they were in the comforts of their home after dinner. Dongho raised his brows at Baekho in surprise.

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

"Eh... A schoolmate mentioned something about... A competition and that he left an open spot for an article for you."

 

Dongho froze and rolled his lips in as he squeezed his thumb. "Was it Woozi?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Baekho, you don't have to care about it."

 

"Why not?" Baekho asked while staring at Dongho in confusion. "If you're going for competitions, obviously I want to cheer you on!"

 

"That... Is unnecessary."

 

Baekho flinched and he frowned. "Dongho. You promised to be better." 

 

Dongho gritted his teeth and sighed. "I'm the president of chess club... But I bet you didn't know that."

 

Baekho didn't and so he nodded. "I didn't. I've been too caught up with soccer and we haven't really spoken about a lot of things but we should try... After all, without you... There wouldn't be me."

 

Dongho let out a dry chuckle. "And without you, there wouldn't be me either... Maybe we should have just left ourselves as one person from the very beginning. You have all the things I lack... Empathy, softness... Warmth. Ah... Sorry, we weren't talking about that, were we. Every year, I join a chess competition. I usually send in my application around this time of the year."

 

"Ah... So... How many years has it been?" 

 

"3 years," Dongho mumbled. Baekho's eyes widened in surprise. 

 

"Wait. You kept this from me for 3 years?? How?" 

 

"I hid all my trophies and I didn't tell anyone except Woozi." 

 

"W-but... Why?" Baekho was flabbergasted. He knew Dongho probably had tons of secrets but to have kept one from him for 3 years? "And if Woozi writes an article all these while... And... I don't get it. How did I not know?" 

 

"Because they're not held in school or organized by it so there's no big announcement about it. Woozi does write me a small column every time I win but its probably overlooked a lot since I told him I don't need the extra attention." 

 

"But... Why hide it? Does Minhyun know?" 

 

"He doesn't...."

 

That shocked Baekho. A secret even from Minhyun? What was so important about the chess championships that he didn't even tell either of them? 

 

"I... I just..." Dongho rubbed his lap nervously. "I knew my behavior regarding Minhyun was becoming borderline obsessive and unhealthy so I needed an outlet. A way to stop myself from going over the edge. I got into chess club and it helped me to stay calm and collected. I just happened to be good at it too so when Woozi first got me a spot in the competition, I went for it but I didn't want you to try it so I didn't tell you or Minhyun."

 

"You were afraid I would take it from you?"

 

"Why wouldn't I? You've already taken the heart of my most beloved person. Minhyun means everything to me. You're normal... Baekho. You love normally. You get shy and embarrassed around him. You get nervous and tongue tied but I'm not like you. I'm constantly insecure because Minhyun wouldn't even look at me. His eyes... They're always on you."

 

"Isn't that because he sits behind me?" 

 

Dongho chuckled and shook his head. "If it was that simple, I would have asked to switch places with you. You're just too dense to notice."

 

"But...you're always the one talking to him and making him laugh."

 

"You don't even have to talk to make him laugh." Dongho breathed in sharply. "Everything I do... Is just to try to get his attention. You don't even have to do anything. Sometimes I wonder why can't we just be two different people. That way, I won't have to feel so bitter every time I see him treating you nicer." 

 

"But... He treats you nicely too." 

 

"Because he treats everyone nicely. Not once has he ever asked me if I wanted to have ice cream with him and I'm always the one having to initiate while he just whisks you away naturally," Dongho blurted out and Baekho flinched. 

 

"That's... I thought... I didn't know. I'm sorry." 

 

"No. You shouldn't be sorry. You should be happy that he loves you more." 

 

"But... That makes you sad." 

 

"I... I'm just a jerk. I can't even let my own brother be happy." 

 

"Dongho..."

 

"I'm trying but I don't know how to be better, Baekho. What can I do so Minhyun will finally look at me?"