47

Kang, Hwang, Kang

Minhyun placed a cup of tea down for the twins' mother before joining her with his own. They sat in his home's living room and he felt a little awkward. Sure, he had done this before but that was a long time ago.

 

"Have you heard about Baekho wanting to pursue music?" she started the conversation and he nodded.

 

"Yes I have. He told you?"

 

"Yes, he did. The day before after you left."

 

"I see. I can tell Baekho is being serious about this. He really wants to try music."

 

"I understand. It's just... I've always thought that he would do sports. He never once told me about his interest in music."

 

Minhyun sipped his tea and nodded. He was wondering what brought their mother here today and decided that he should just ask instead of assume anything. "I just recently found out too. But I don't think that's what you came over to talk to me about, right, aunty?"

 

"Sharp as always, aren't you, Minhyun?"

 

Minhyun smiled sheepishly, unsure if he should take that as a compliment. "Not really."

 

"I came to tell you about my brother."

 

"Your brother?"

 

+

 

Dongho had read the letter that Minhyun gave him for his birthday over and over again.

 

'Hello Dongho,

 

It's me, Emperor Hwang again for the sixth year this time. Happy birthday! And as always I wish you a long healthy happy life. Thank you for staying by my side always. This year is a little different for us both and we are trying new things together. I know it's scary and we both have our own fear and insecurities but I really hope we can get through this together! Let's live more years together and celebrate more birthdays together too! Hwang Minhyun will always be here for you <3

 

Signed

Your best friend/boyfriend'

 

He sighed and placed the paper on his chest. He sat up and read it again one more time before he opened his room door just as Baekho did as well. They both looked at each other with a confused look before realising they were both holding onto the letter that Minhyun wrote for them.

 

"You're thinking of telling mum, aren't you?" Dongho asked and Baekho pursed his lips.

 

"I'm sorry, Dongho. I just... If it'll make Minhyun happy, I think it's better to come clean."

 

"Even if we might get send away to boarding schools?"

 

Baekho bit his lower lip and nodded.

 

"Even if we might never get to see Minhyun again?"

 

Baekho gasped and he whimpered softly. "I don't... Want that... But..."

 

"We got this, Baekho. We will do it together."

 

"Eh? You're going to do it too?"

 

"Yes. I don't want to be a coward. If Minhyun can tell his mum, so can we." 

 

The twins headed to their mother's room and knocked before opening it. It was empty which wasn't shocking to them so they went downstairs to find for her. She was there, watching television with a blank expression until she saw the two of them. 

 

"Dongho, Baekho," she said softly and smiled at them. 

 

"Mum." Dongho motioned Baekho to go around the couch as they both sat down. 

 

"Yes, my dears?" 

 

"We want to tell you something," Baekho said nervously and she nodded, looking between the two of them. 

 

"We are dating Minhyun," Dongho confessed and gulped, waiting for a horrified reaction from her but instead she nodded. 

 

"I know." 

 

"Eh?" 

 

"Minhyun told me just now." 

 

"J-just now? When?" The twins were horrified instead but tried to remain calm. 

 

-

 

"I'm dating the both of them." 

 

"I suspected as much. But even after I told you what happened, won't you consider breaking up with my sons?" 

 

"Aunty... I know you worry about them and I know you're telling me this so that I would break up with them but... I really love them. Both. We won't turn out the same as uncle and I promise you I won't hurt either of them." 

 

Tears started falling down the older woman's eyes and Minhyun offered her tissues. "If anything happened to either of them, I won't be able to forgive myself, Minhyun. Please, just break up with them. Let them live like normal people. Fall in love with a girl, have a family." 

 

Minhyun felt utterly guilty but he refused to give this up. He wasn't one who typically went against orders or requests but not this time. "Aunty, people now are different from before. Baekho and Dongho aren't going to get bullied just for their uality and they're both strong. They won't lose to the likes of judgemental opinions. They've been through more than you know. I'm really sorry uncle had to pass away in such a fashion but I plead you too. Don't separate us. They love me just as much as I love them."

 

Minhyun sat there quietly as she cried softly, unsure how else to be of comfort. His mother had been happy to find out that he was dating people who cared about him so this wasn't a reaction he knew how to respond to. He could only wait until she had recollected herself and forced a smile onto her lips.

 

"I can't say I approve of this but I'm sure you will take good care of them. Please don't tell them what I told you. Baekho is a bit more sensitive than Dongho and Dongho is a bit more assertive but they're both wonderful children. I want the both of them to be happy. You'll make sure to keep them happy, right?"

 

Minhyun nodded and squeezed his own hands together. "I will. I'll do my best to keep them happy so please don't worry. I'm sorry for what happened to uncle but the twins are the one thing I really don't want to give up. I hope you understand that I didn't choose to fall in love with them just the same way uncle didn't choose. We love who we love whether they are males or females and we will do all we can to keep them happy. I'm sure uncle had a happy life too..."

 

+

 

"Minhyun! Is it true that you told our mum?" Dongho asked as night had fallen and the three of them poked their heads out from the windows with the twins being in the same room. Minhyun smiled and nodded.

 

"She came over and tried to talk me into breaking up with the two of you. So I guess you were trying to spare me the paranoia of having to know that having is real risky between males. That's why you didn't want your mum to know we were dating, did you?" Minhyun asked and Dongho nodded. Minhyun smiled and leaned against the window sill. "I talked to her about it. She's not going to try to separate us as long as we don't break up or do anything risky." 

 

"We won't. Promise," Baekho squeaked and Minhyun chuckled softly. He sighed and stared at them. 

 

"What's wrong?" Dongho asked and Minhyun shook his head. 

 

"I'm just a little worried about our future but we won't know until we get there, would we?" 

 

The twins exchanged glances and both had a concerned expression on their faces. "You won't leave us, right?" 

 

"What are you saying, Dongho? I'm the one who is afraid you'll both leave me. Then I won't have anyone at all. At least you'll still have each other." 

 

"We won't leave you." 

 

"I know. It's just a thought, Baekho. Anyways, I should go to sleep. I'm a little tired from all these meetings for the school festival. Sorry if I made you guys worried today."

 

"No... You don't have to be sorry." 

 

"Good night, Minhyun." 

 

Minhyun waved and closed the window before the curtains. He stretched his body and laid down, staring at the ceiling as he thought about what their mother had told him. How their uncle actually suicided after being shun and dragged down by the people around him to the point he was utterly depressed. People he trusted, loved and knew. Even their own mother was guilty of such a thing. Minhyun couldn't imagine what that would feel like. Knowing someone for your entire life, only to hate on them just because they liked the same gender and all of a sudden, they're gone just like that too. He understood now why Dongho wanted to hide this relationship from their mother and why their mother wouldn't approve of this. He would never wish for something like that to happen to Dongho or Baekho and he was glad he didn't have to worry too much about it since he knew there were others just like them around him. Seungwoo and Aron being the main two. 

 

+

 

The months passed by and soon the most awaited school festival was around the corner. Their exams completed and preparations began. The twins' class had settled with doing a maid cafe since none of them wanted any trouble and cause chaos. 

 

"Eh... So you guys will be dressing up as maids?" Minhyun asked the twins as they were gathered in the twins' home to look through poster options for the class. Minhyun wasn't taking part since he had his own role to play as student council president. 

 

"Yep. Since the girls voted to dress up as butlers," Dongho sighed and Baekho's cheeks were red. 

 

"I told you I wanted to be a chef," Baekho whined and Dongho frowned. 

 

"Yeah but we are going to be the face of the class since no other classes have twins. We practically weren't given a choice." 

 

Minhyun chuckled softly and looked at the posters. "I'll pay you guys a visit when I'm free." 

 

"If only we could have had our student president as a maid with us, that'll be worth the attraction," Dongho sighed and Minhyun rolled his eyes. 

 

"No way. I'll totally be out of place with my height and everything. Plus you're both cuter than me." 

 

Baekho blushed more furiously and puffed his cheeks. "Not cute." 

 

Dongho chuckled and poked his brother's cheek. "Yeah, yeah. Did you know the girls were talking about him just the other day?" 

 

Minhyun raised a brow and Baekho scoffed. "They were not!" 

 

"They totally were. They were talking about how you seem much softer recently too and more approachable." 

 

"I-I don't think I am!" Baekho argued and got up, rushing to the kitchen to get a glass of water as an excuse to avoid the conversation. 

 

"Is that true?" Minhyun asked. Dongho smiled and shrugged. 

 

"Why? Would you be jealous if it was true?" 

 

Minhyun chuckled nervously and pursed his lips. "Maybe..."

 

"Minhyun, you already know we only have eyes for you." 

 

"Well... I know but Baekho hasn't had much experience with girls either so what if..." 

 

"Since when do you worry about that?" Dongho asked and leaned forward. 

 

"Since... I realised my feelings for my childhood friends are getting stronger too?" Minhyun replied and touched Dongho's hand. Dongho smiled and held it, lifting it up to his lips and gave it a gentle kiss. "I can't bear to lose either of you, Dongho ah." 

 

"Neither can we bear to lose you, Minhyun." 

 

Baekho came out from the kitchen and noticed them holding hands. He puffed his cheeks and squeezed beside Minhyun suddenly, hugging his arm. Dongho shouldn't be that surprised that Baekho was being more open towards his feelings for Minhyun but he still was. He let go of Minhyun's hand and Minhyun chuckled, ruffling his hair. 

 

"Minhyun, I want that too," Dongho said and pouted. Minhyun became confused. 

 

"Want what?" 

 

"A pat! You always do that to Baekho but not me." 

 

"Eh... But..." 

 

Dongho flashed him the puppy eyes and Minhyun gave up. He reached over and patted Dongho's hair. Dongho beamed and Baekho whined. 

 

"No fair. That should be for me only!" Baekho said and shook Minhyun's arm. 

 

"Uh... But shouldn't I treat the two of you the same?" Minhyun asked, confused as to what was right and wrong now. Dongho stuck his tongue out at Baekho and the two started to bicker again. Minhyun chuckled and sighed, smiling at the two idiots be loved so much.