3

Kang, Hwang, Kang

"I like Minhyun."

 

"Eh?"

 

"There, I said it! So I'm calling dibs on chasing him!"

 

"What? That's--that is not fair!"

 

That was the conversation that started to push them apart as Dongho had confessed to Baekho one day when they were 14 years old. Baekho still remembered it clear as day as he sipped the milk he had just taken from the fridge. They had always been sort of competitive with each other but Baekho didn't think it would go to such an extent that they would even fight over the same person. But looking at his brother enjoying the ice cream that Minhyun treated him, he knew he was willing to step down if its for Dongho's happiness. Yet he didn't want to either. He liked Minhyun just as much or at least he felt that way. He was just less sociably adept compared to Dongho.

 

"How was soccer?" Dongho asked as he continued doing his homework in the living room.

 

"Fine."

 

"Huh."

 

Then they were silent again. Baekho gripped the glass and put it into the basin before rushing upstairs. There the dark gnawing feeling was again.

 

Dongho glanced in the direction he was previously in before sighing. Wanting to return back to the time they were friendly again seemed like a difficult task.

 

~~~

 

Minhyun collapsed on his bed after taking a good long shower. He was tired out from using his brains the entire day for student council work but now wasn't the time to take a nap either. He still had to study so he didn't fall back on his studies. He went to his desk and caught sight of the rooms opposite his. He wondered what happened to the twins honestly. Ever since they turned 14, Dongho had requested to have his own room and now the twins slept in different rooms. Both still facing his though. He shook his head and told himself he shouldn't think about unnecessary stuff. As long as they were still talking to each other on friendly terms, Minhyun didn't have to worry. He had known them for 6 years after all and he knew it wouldn't be that easy to break brotherly bonds. 

 

Maybe. 

 

He had witnessed fights between them but they always made up in the end. Although he did have a hand to play in them before. He guessed he also started growing apart from them unknowingly when he became caught up with studies and student council work. Things just weren't the same anymore as they grew older. 

 

"Which one of the twins are you sleeping with?" 

 

Minhyun yelped as the thought attacked his mind again. What kind of question is that?! He did not see his childhood friends that way. He realised he almost threw his pencil but placed it down. He rubbed his eyes and groaned. Things were definitely not the same. Minhyun looked at the bedroom windows that were both covered with curtains and pursed his lips. Yeah, there's definitely no way Minhyun would think about them like that. He was too busy handling his own life. He shut the curtain and sat down angrily. He opened his books and tried to drown his thoughts with words and numbers instead of fruitless thoughts. Stupid Seungwoo. 

 

"Aghh. Ong Seungwoo!" 

 

"Wah!" The secretary jumped when Minhyun burst into the student council room the next morning. "What? What did I do this time?" 

 

"It's all your fault I can't stop thinking. Get that stupid thought out of my head." 

 

"What thought?" 

 

"That-t-that thing you said!" 

 

"Um, Minhyun?" 

 

Minhyun flinched when he realised Dongho was still there. "Ah, shoot. Dongho, I'll see you in class." 

 

Dongho smiled and nodded. "See you." 

 

Minhyun shut the door and spun around, glaring at Seungwoo who rubbed his neck. "What now?"

 

"Why did you have to say something stupid like that yesterday? Now I can't look at them without thinking about it."

 

"Ooh. Is our pres having some realisation?" Seungwoo teased Minhyun who shook his head and smacked Seungwoo's head. "Owie." 

 

"I definitely do not think about sleeping with them," Minhyun said as he settled on his chair. 

 

"But you were yesterday?" 

 

"No! I do not. Plus it's not like they like me that way either." 

 

Seungwoo gaped at Minhyun. Aron knocked and entered the room, noticing Seungwoo's stunned expression. "Did I come at the wrong time? Why does Woo look like the pres just said something stupid?" 

 

"Aron, listen to this. Minhyun doesn't believe the twins like him." 

 

"You mean, romantically? Only a blind person wouldn't be able to see that," Aron said nonchalantly, pulling his chair in as he sat. He noticed the room became quiet and slowly looked up. "Oh." 

 

Minhyun had gone stiff and stared at his paper with fierce eyes while Seungwoo looked nervous. 

 

"I probably shouldn't have said that?" 

 

Minhyun breathed in and shook his head. "You're both w-wrong. Baekho and Dongho don't like me romantically. We have been friends since young. There's just n-n..." 

 

Aron and Seungwoo watched as Minhyun struggled to continue denying the fact that his friends might feel something more for him as he unconsciously recall one of the twins being very forthcoming with his feelings. 

 

"They just don't, okay?!" 

 

"Denial," Aron said. 

 

"Anger." 

 

"Bargaining." 

 

"Depression." 

 

"Last but not least, acceptance," Aron completed the five stages of grief with Seungwoo, leaving their student council president fuming. 

 

"You two..." 

 

"If you don't trust us, just ask around, pres. Almost whole school knows," Aron said in the end, not wanting to see Minhyun struggling like this. 

 

"What?! But we are guys. Why..."

 

"Because you, sir, have no interest in girls. How many have you rejected too?" Seungwoo said. 

 

"That's cause I don't like them? And I'm not interested in dating anyone right now."

 

"Yeah, yeah. That's why everyone sh-" Aron stopped himself and Minhyun raised a brow at him. 

 

"What was that?" 

 

"N-nothing. Uh- we should start our meeting. Morning assembly is about to start!" Aron quickly changed the topic. Minhyun wanted to drill him on it but decided that they should definitely put priorities first. 

 

But that conversation was the beginning of everything else that ensued after. 

 

"-subtract from this equation-get the answer-"

 

Minhyun couldn't focus.

 

He tried to listen to what the teacher was saying but it was going in one ear and out the other. Sitting in front of him was Baekho and beside him was Dongho as he sat at the back of the class due to his height growth spurt. He originally wanted the front seat but had to give it up for the shorter students. Minhyun stared at Baekho's back, silently thinking about what Seungwoo and Aron both said. He glanced at Dongho who was concentrating really hard too. There's just no way, is there? He turned back to the teacher and patted his cheeks. Concentrate, Minhyun. You need to keep your grades up. 

 

He sighed and realised Dongho was looking at him. He gave him a thin smile and Dongho beamed, lifting up a piece of paper.

 

'U okay?'

 

Minhyun raised his brows and nodded. He scribbled on the back of his notebook and flashed it at Dongho.

 

'Just tired. Was up all night studying.'

 

Dongho chuckled and wrote back, 'That's so like you.'

 

Minhyun smiled and felt a little better. He turned his attention back to class since he didn't want to make a bad example out of being the student council president. Class ended and the teenager stretched his tired body. Dongho leaned over and tapped his table to get his attention.

 

"Thanks for the ice cream yesterday," He said.

 

"No problem. It didn't seem fair if only your brother and I had it," Minhyun replied. Baekho's head lifted up and he glanced back at the two. He gave Dongho a small jeer before turning away. Dongho laughed and shook his head.

 

"Hey, Minhyun. Want to go to a new cafe that just opened up this weekend?" Dongho asked.

 

"This weekend, huh. I should be able to make it. What about you?" His hand reached to the front and he rattled Baekho's seat. Dongho pursed his lips and said nothing as his twin turned around.

 

"Huh? You're inviting me too?" Baekho responded.

 

"Who else am I talking to, idiot?" Minhyun replied and Baekho scowled. He looked at Dongho who lowered his sharp gaze.

 

"Eh... Hah. I think you should just go with Dongho alone. Not like you'll have any fun with me there," Baekho replied and turned away. Minhyun pouted and pulled Baekho's chair backwards, tilting his seat. "Wah!"

 

"Idiot," Minhyun said and let him go. His chair bounced back and Baekho growled, turning around to grab Minhyun but stopped when he realised people were looking at them. He turned red and immediately shrunk back into his seat. Minhyun stifled his laughter and turned back to Dongho whose eyes just stared blankly at him. "So it's just us?"

 

"Ah. I guess if Baekho doesn't want to go," Dongho replied and smiled. Minhyun nodded. It's not like he never went out with them one to one before but somehow he felt awkward every time that happens, as if he was choosing one twin over the other but that wasn't the case! Minhyun wanted to treat them equally but recently he didn't even know how to treat either of them.

 

"I'm going to go on a toilet break," Minhyun said and Dongho nodded. The president got up and headed to the toilet. He did his business and washed his hands, a little surprised to find someone he knew inside. Third year Daniel, school soccer ace. The only reason why Baekho wasn't the ace was because of him and also Seungwoo's ultimate crush. He had talked with the male several times but never really connected much as their interests were different. Daniel smiled and bowed, Minhyun did the same.

 

"Ask anyone. Almost the whole school knows."

 

"Uh... Sunbae."

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Uh... Does Baekho..." Minhyun paused. He could just ask the twins. Why did he have to go to such a roundabout way to ask people close to them?

 

"What about Baekho?" Daniel asked with a bright smile that definitely has caught a lot of girls' attention and Seungwoo's limitless jealousy. 

 

"Does he... Have a chance to take your spot once you graduate?" Minhyun immediately changed his question, unable to ask the question he wanted to. Daniel blinked before he laughed and shrugged.

 

"I don't see why not. Baekho is very skilled and maybe even better than me. Just a little clumsy at times," Daniel answered him. Minhyun sighed in relief.

 

"Think he has a future for it?"

 

"Well, isn't that dependent on Baekho? Whether he wants to pursue football or not."

 

"Or not?" Minhyun didn't know Baekho had something else he might have more interest in. Or maybe he never told him.

 

"You sure you should be asking about Baekho behind his back? I'm pretty sure he will answer any questions you have."

 

Minhyun perked up in confusion. It almost sounded to him like Daniel was saying Baekho liked him enough that he would tell him everything. No, no. Minhyun was pretty sure the words Seungwoo and Aron said were still resonating in his brain and making him think such stuff. "Ah. I'll ask him. I just... Haven't been able to talk to him much lately."

 

"He's working hard, Minhyun ah. Don't worry too much about him," Daniel said and grinned, giving him a pat on the back before leaving the toilet. Minhyun sighed and went back to class. He noticed Dongho wasn't there. Baekho turned around and stared at him for awhile before turning back.

 

"What the--You got something to say, huh?" Minhyun asked and poked his back. Baekho flinched and hissed.

 

"No! I just-" Baekho seemed conflicted for a moment but the door opened and Dongho entered the class with worksheets for their next class along with the teacher. He turned back and didn't say anything, leaving Minhyun confused again.

 

How is this even telling him everything? If anything, Baekho was even more shut off than he had ever been.