19

Kang, Hwang, Kang

Baekho hummed to himself as he entered his house. He couldn't stop smiling even as he saw Dongho cooking dinner.

 

"I'm home," he said cheerfully which startled Dongho.

 

"Oh. You look... Cherry," Dongho said and smiled. "Did you enjoy your date?"

 

"Yes," Baekho replied and started to set the pictures Minhyun took as his lock screen and home screen. A cheek kiss. He couldn't believe how lucky he was to even have the moment captured. "I'm going to go... Shower."

 

"Okay. Have you eaten dinner yet? It almost night."

 

"No, I haven't. We just ate a bunch of street food so I'm still good. Uh..." Baekho couldn't help thinking about the open relationship that Minhyun mentioned now that he was looking at his twin but he couldn't bring himself to suggest it alone. Dongho sensed his unease and looked at him.

 

"Something wrong?"

 

"Huh? Oh. No... Just... I'm gonna head up."

 

"Okay."

 

Baekho rushed up the stairs and breathed out, unsure when he even held his breath. He definitely needed Minhyun to be the one to suggest it.

 

Dongho tapped the counter as he watched Baekho disappear up the stairs before pulling out his phone to message Minhyun.

 

'Hey. Baekho's home so I believe you're home too. How did the date go? Did you have fun?' He wasn't trying to pry but he just knew he wouldn't be able to get anything out of Baekho who would clamp up from embarrassment and shyness.

 

'Hey. It was fun. I didn't know Baekho could be such a smooth talker.'

 

'Oh? Good to hear you had fun too. He was smiling a whole lot earlier so that's good.' 

 

':)' 

 

Dongho sighed and put his phone down. He hated the feeling of jealousy yet it was something that also set Baekho and him apart. Sure, he could put a smile on his face and say everything was fine but the dark gnawing feeling was always there. He couldn't tell if this meant a draw for both of them for now but he did hope their feelings were getting across to Minhyun. 

 

'Have a good night, Minhyun.' 

 

'You too.' 

 

"Oh." Dongho rushed up the stairs and knocked on Baekho's room door. His twin opened it, pulling down his pyjamas. 

 

"Yeah?" 

 

"Mum and dad are coming back tomorrow. They called so... Yeah. Just wanted to tell you that." 

 

"Cool," Baekho said with a little shrug. Dongho pursed his lips as Baekho moved away from the door to pick up his dirty clothes. "Got something else to say?" 

 

"Huh?" 

 

"Well, you're just standing there..." 

 

"Oh. Uh... Your date... It went well, right?" 

 

"I guess so? It's my first time so I don't know what would be considered well," Baekho replied and tossed his clothes into the laundry basket. "You worried?" 

 

"Hmm?" 

 

"That I'm going to steal Minhyun from you," Baekho teased. It wasn't often that he did that so Dongho turned red in his cheeks. 

 

"N-no. I-I am confident he will pick me," Dongho blurted out and Baekho chuckled. 

 

"Sure, sure. Are we going to eat out tomorrow?" 

 

"I don't know yet. You know how our parents are like. They might even have plans without us knowing."

 

"Correction. Its without me knowing. They tell you everything, Dongho." 

 

"Baekho." 

 

"Yeah, I know. Don't act bitter in front of them. Be a good kid," Baekho grumbled as he sat on the bed. "I get it. We can't fight in front of them. Don't say anything burdensome. They're working hard for us. I know what you're going to say by heart, okay?" 

 

Dongho sighed and nodded. "As long as you remember." 

 

+

 

"We are home! Finally. Did you miss us?" their mother chirped as she entered the house with her abundance of luggages that held her research materials and clothes. Dongho smiled and welcomed her with a hug.

 

"Welcome home, mum. We missed you a lot," he replied while helping her with her luggages. Baekho moved to the luggages without a word as he slid them in.

 

"That's nice to hear. How have you two been?" she asked when she noticed Baekho. 

 

"Fine," Baekho responded coolly. Dongho glanced at him and raised his brows. Baekho sighed and looked away. 

 

"Okay. Is your dad home yet?" 

 

"No. His bus got delayed," Dongho said. Baekho didn't know that so he kept quiet as he brought his mother's clothes upstairs. 

 

"I see. Why don't the four of us eat out tonight?" 

 

"I can cook if you want. Baekho and I have really honed our cooking skills," Dongho suggested and she smiled, patting his head like a child. 

 

"You two grow up so fast. It feels like I've missed your childhood completely."

 

Dongho forced a smile out from that sentence. Maybe you did, he wanted to say but didn't want to be rude. "You must be tired, mum. Why don't you go freshen up?" 

 

"I will. Let's just eat out, okay?" 

 

"Okay." 

 

The family became complete once their father came home that night. It was already late so they left in a hurry to get a bite. Baekho knew he should at least try to pretend he was happy that the four of them were together and he should be but he couldn't. Everytime he saw his parents laughing away together as if they weren't apart for years had made him bitter towards them. Dongho always put up a cheerful front even though he knew both him and Dongho just wanted to have a normal family where their parents were there to care for them. It had always been the two of them and with recent years and them growing apart, Baekho felt like he was breaking apart too. This happy family facade really wasn't working too well for him. Dongho nudged him when he realised his brother was sulking. 

 

"Baekho, you promised," he whispered and Baekho sighed. He pressed his lips together and tried to smile. His parents didn't mention it even if they saw it. They just acted as if everything was okay. 

 

Not to him, it wasn't. 

 

"So, have you decided where you want to go for college?" their father asked aloud although Baekho could tell he was looking at Dongho when they were almost home. 

 

"Yes. I plan to take up science but I'm just unsure which area yet," Dongho replied. 

 

"I see. Don't fret. We will support your decision no matter what you wish to take. And you'll be going for a sports college, I assume, Baekho?" 

 

Baekho twitched and he looked at his dad from the back mirror. "N-no. I have something else in mind." 

 

"Oh. But aren't you great at soccer?" his mother cut in and Baekho gulped. 

 

"I... There's something else I want," Baekho said again. Dongho could sense his struggling and was about to interrupt when they reached home. His parents got down the car and so did Dongho. He turned back and poked Baekho. 

 

"Hey. Lets go in," Dongho said and Baekho clenched his fists. 

 

"I'm sorry, Dongho. I can't do this," Baekho said and opened the car door. Dongho was confused at first but then he gasped when Baekho left the house. 

 

"Baekho!" 

 

"What's wrong, Dongho?" his mother asked when he suddenly burst out. 

 

"Baekho ran off." 

 

"He will come back sooner or later. He's always such a crybaby," his father said jokingly as they entered the house. Dongho gripped the car door before slamming it shut. 

 

"Baekho?" 

 

Baekho flinched as he hadn't noticed Minhyun tossing the rubbish. He hurried away from the one person he didn't want to see him shedding tears but Minhyun went after him. 

 

"Hey. Where are you going at this hour?" Minhyun asked worriedly since they hadn't talked the entire day. 

 

"Leave me alone!" Baekho hissed and Minhyun frowned. 

 

"You stop right there now, Kang Baekho," Minhyun snapped, grabbing Baekho's arm to stop him. Baekho slapped his hand away. "Ow. You-" 

 

"Baekho!" Dongho called out as he had chased after him. "Minhyun. You're here." 

 

Baekho broke into a sprint and the two were startled but gave chase as well. "Crap. Why is he so goddamn fast?" 

 

"Cause he's in the soccer team?" Dongho panted since he wasn't athletic like his twin. They slowed down once their stamina reached its limits, watching the speedy male disappear. "Goddamit..." 

 

"What happened?" 

 

"It's just... The usual. My parents..." Dongho had to take a long deep breath before he could continue talking. "They're trying to... Push him to take up sports."

 

"That's it?" Minhyun blurted out, feeling irritated that Baekho had throw his temper at him just for a reason like that. 

 

"Well... He wants to do something else but they weren't giving him the chance to tell them either." 

 

Minhyun scowled slightly, unsure who he was getting more irritated with now. He sighed and tried to let himself calm down before walking to find Baekho. 

 

"He will come back eventually," Dongho said as he followed Minhyun. 

 

"Maybe but its late and its dangerous to be out alone." 

 

"Baekho can take care of himself." 

 

"Dongho," Minhyun hissed and stopped, causing the bespectacled male to flinch. "You care about him that's why you came after him too, right?" 

 

"I... I did." 

 

"So why are you being hesitant to search for him now? Is it because of me?" 

 

"No... I just... I don't know what to say. When I saw Baekho, I couldn't think of any words of comfort so even if I find him now, I don't know what I'll be able to tell him or what I should say." 

 

Minhyun sighed and shook his head. "Just be honest like you always do."

 

They both made their way to a playground and found the crying male on the swing, wiping away his tears furiously. Minhyun rushed up to Baekho who looked up from the sound of their footsteps. His eyes and nose were red from crying. He gasped and got up, trying to run again but Dongho caught him in a tackle before he could. Both of them falling back onto the ground. 

 

"G-get off me," Baekho growled and rolled Dongho off. 

 

"No. You're coming home with me," Dongho said as they struggled against one another. Baekho shoved Dongho away successfully as Minhyun caught him before he fell. 

 

"I'm not going back. Nobody needs me! Everyone just needs you. It's always you! Even you think it'll be better if I'm just gone! That way you'll be able to have Minhyun all to yourself!" Baekho yelled and they all gasped. Dongho felt himself trembling at that moment. He didn't think Baekho's words would ever hurt him this much but it did. 

 

"Take that back!" Minhyun snapped and Baekho flinched, knowing he said something wrong. Again. Always. He was always in the wrong. He could never do anything right. Always. 

 

"No! It's the truth. I'm not... I... I wish I wasn't born at all!" He yelled and ran off again. Minhyun wanted to chase him again but heard a sob. He turned around to find Dongho crying this time. 

 

"Dongho... Dongho, don't cry," Minhyun said and rubbed away his tears, pulling him into a hug. 

 

"It hurts... It hurts so much," Dongho wept and clung onto Minhyun. His heart felt all wrenched up and he couldn't breathe. 

 

"It's okay. He will come to his senses like you said. Breathe, Dongho." 

 

"I'm the worst..."

 

"Dongho, no. Don't you dare start this with me too," Minhyun said and squeezed him. He didn't need both of them to spiral down into self loathing. He helped Dongho to his feet and held him close. "I'll bring you home." 

 

"No... You should find Baekho." 

 

"Dongho, just listen to me," Minhyun sighed and Dongho didn't have the energy to fight back. He just wanted to curl up and cry but he held the tears in as Minhyun walked him home. They went straight to his bedroom, fortunately avoiding his parents who were probably in their own room. Minhyun placed the blanket over him as he cried softly under it. Minhyun didn't know how things suddenly took a turn but this was obviously worse than before and there was nothing he could do about it now.