24

Kang, Hwang, Kang

The morning was pleasant but the atmosphere in the bus was heavy as they were arranged according to groups. Minhyun marked the attendance of the bus he was in and was met with a scowling Aron and grumpy Jonghyun who had both ended up in the same group as the cheerful Minki along with two other girls. He smiled apologetically since it wasn't like he could have helped them in any way. Baekho and Dongho were seated beside each other after they had both argued about sitting beside Minhyun as well. The student president handled them by forcing them beside one another while he chose the empty seat. Their group had two other classmates, Myungsoo and Woohyun. They weren't the closest of buddies but they knew each other. 

 

Minhyun stared out the window as they made their way to the campsite, already feeling tired despite it only being morning. He yawned and closed his eyes, slowly falling asleep admist the ruckus brewing at the back from the louder active groups. Dongho and Baekho both kept silent, trying to take small peeks at Minhyun who leaned against the window while acting nonchalant. 

 

"Hey, twins," Woohyun said while leaning forward and standing up in the bus. Dongho tilted his head up to acknowledge their classmate. 

 

"What's up?" 

 

"I've been curious but are you two chasing the student council president?" 

 

"Is that what everyone is still asking?" Dongho replied with a little laugh. Baekho scoffed and rolled his eyes, staring out the window instead. 

 

"There's all sorts of rumors going around about you three but nobody really knows what's going on." 

 

"Why don't you guys just mind your own business?" Baekho hissed and Woohyun lifted his arms in a surrender motion while chuckling. 

 

"Slow down there, tiger. Doesn't hurt to ask." 

 

Baekho felt himself feeling embarrassed when he realised he was doing it again. Dongho patted his shoulder. 

 

"Take it slow. Remember what you told me? People don't change that fast." 

 

Baekho sighed and nodded. "I know what I said." 

 

"We are here!!" Minhyun cheered once they reached their camping ground and everyone gathered in the forest opening. He started taking attendance again before rushing off to help everyone settle into their own space. The twins knew this was bound to happen even if they did end up in the same group. Having the same thoughts as they took Minhyun's baggage, they made their way to their own spot and started to unpack with their other two classmates just tagging along. 

 

"It's really hard to differentiate you two with your hair and clothes being the same now," Woohyun said as they put their bags aside. 

 

"It's easy," Dongho said and pulled his brother over by the shoulder before smiling brightly. Baekho scowled and turned away. "See? I'm Dongho and he's Baekho." 

 

Woohyun chuckled. He was known in the class for being the mood maker so he was a pretty friendly guy as well but Baekho didn't think he could get along with people like that. Though that being said, Myungsoo was quieter but was a complete dork as well. He silently took pictures of their surroundings with the camera he brought, not really bothered by his other groupmates. "Ahh. Ah. That's right. So lunch is up first. What are we making?" 

 

"Stew and egg?" Dongho suggested since that was the easiest dishes to make for him. 

 

"Isn't curry much easier?" 

 

"But everyone makes curry."

 

"What about burger? Minhyun brought bread it seems." 

 

"We can make salad or stir fried vegetable to go with it." 

 

"Deal. Oh. Baekho, Myungsoo, why don't the two of you go gather firewood?" 

 

The two exchanged glances before Baekho clicked his tongue and went off followed by the photographer. They quietly wandered around to find for twigs or broken branches. Myungsoo took picture of anything he found fascinating while picking up thin branches. 

 

"Baekho, look." 

 

"Huh?" 

 

"It's a ladybug," he spoke and swung a branch over to Baekho with an actual ladybug on it. Baekho yelled and hopped back, almost stumbling on his own feet as he covered his head. 

 

"Get that away from me!" 

 

"Hmmm? Are you scared of bugs?" 

 

Baekho hissed and crossed his arms. "I'm n-not!" 

 

"Is that so?" Myungsoo took a step closer and Baekho took a step back. 

 

"Oi. Don't play around. We need to hurry back or they can't cook." 

 

"Alright, alright. Off you go, ladybug." Myungsoo put the branch away and Baekho let out a relieved breath. "You're pretty casual." 

 

"What are you saying?" 

 

"I thought you would be meaner or ruder. Maybe even punch me in the face for pranking you like that," Myungsoo replied and smiled gently. "I'm glad you're just normal like us." 

 

"Eh?" Baekho was surprised but he felt warm hearing something like that. He stuffed his hand inside his pocket and tried not to smile. "You think so?" 

 

"Mmm... You don't have to act tough all the time. It just makes you look awkward. Smile," Myungsoo said and raised his camera. Baekho blushed and turned away. 

 

"Don't take pictures of me. I'm not photogenic at all," Baekho muttered shyly. 

 

"Let's go back. I think we collected more than enough." 

 

"A-ah. Yeah." 

 

"Oh? Where's Baekho and Myungsoo?" Minhyun asked once he was free enough to gather back with his own group. 

 

"Off to gather firewood," Woohyun replied and Minhyun nodded. 

 

"Need help with anything?" 

 

"You can wash the vegetables. We are going to make burger and salad."

 

"Sounds good. Ah. They're back." Minhyun froze when he saw Baekho letting out a chuckle and so did Myungsoo. He felt a sharp throb in his chest before the warmth engulfed it. The sight of Baekho warming up to their classmate made him happy for the most part. 

 

"Oh, president. Done with your rounds?" Myungsoo asked while placing the stack of firewood down beside Dongho who was preparing the buns. 

 

"Yep. I'll be able to help for lunch and then I'll be busy again when the games start." 

 

"You sure have a lot to do as student council president, huh? Don't you ever get to rest easy?" Woohyun sighed and Minhyun chuckled. 

 

"I do. I'm just busier during events like this or during school festival." 

 

"So that means there'll only be four of us for the games? Since you're not participating," Dongho asked as Baekho and Myungsoo quietly worked on the patty together. They weren't similar or complete opposites yet somehow Baekho felt at ease with him.

 

"I'm sorry. I really do wish I could be more of a team player but it's what I get for being president. I'm not the only one looking after the trip. There's also the secretary and treasurer and a couple of seniors too. Oh, for tonight's courage test, I'm afraid I won't be able to join you guys either."

 

"It's cool, man. You're making sure everything goes smoothly for us after all," Woohyun chirped and gave him a friendly pat on the arm. Minhyun handed the washed vegetables to him to chop up. Dongho got the fire going and they started to cook together. Minhyun left once in awhile to check on other groups and made sure there were no fire accidents or any missing group members. He came back to join them for lunch and once they were done, he volunteered to wash the dishes. Dongho helped him while the rest set up camp.

 

"You look tired already," Dongho said and Minhyun yawned a little in correspondence.

 

"Perhaps I am," he said softly. "I'm okay. I can still keep it up."

 

"Um... How's Minki's group doing?"

 

"Well, Aron has to help me out with the patrolling so they haven't had a chance to argue yet which I'm thankful for. It's not nice to come all the way out here to such a beautiful forest but make bad memories." 

 

"You're too busy to even make memories," Dongho whispered but Minhyun didn't catch them. They finished up with the cleaning and Minhyun left again while Dongho helped the others. They worked faster than expected although Woohyun kept avoiding Baekho unintentionally. Dongho noticed Baekho actually making an effort to speak with Myungsoo as well. 

 

Even though Minhyun couldn't join them for games since he was the one hosting them, they were still able to grab some prizes which were mostly snacks or miscellaneous stuff. They shared it amongst themselves and even kept a separate stash for the student council president. 

 

"It's your fault that we lost." 

 

Dongho perked his head up when he heard that sentence uttered by a familiar voice. 

 

"How is it my fault? You were the one who's slow." 

 

"Oh no. Here we go," Dongho muttered and Baekho leaned over to see what he was talking about. 

 

"Jonghyun and Aron?" 

 

"Yep." 

 

"Where's Minki?" 

 

"Over there with Jeonghan and Seungkwan." 

 

"Maybe someone should go get him before they break into a fight." 

 

"Can he even stop them?" 

 

Baekho shrugged. "If Minhyun can stop us, can't he stop them?" 

 

Dongho sighed and got up, heading towards Minki to get him to stop the duo who was starting to get on each other's nerves. Minki turned to the two and sighed. 

 

"I can't stop them at all," Minki pouted and Dongho wasn't sure whether to interfere himself or not. 

 

"Do you even like either of them?" Somehow Dongho felt like he was looking at his own situation but from Minhyun's point of view in this case. 

 

"Well... They both have their own good points but I don't like it when they argue with each other. Seriously... I thought this would help them become closer but its just getting worse." 

 

Dongho chuckled and leaned over to whisper something into Minki's ear. Minki gasped and stood up, storming over to the two who didn't get along. 

 

"Jonghyun, Aron, I've decided on how we are going to deal with this problem."

 

Dongho smiled and headed back to Baekho who raised a brow. "And what kind of ploy are you brewing now, oh brother of mine?" 

 

"Oh Baekho, don't worry about it. They'll settle their own problem. We settle ours." 

 

Minhyun let out a long sigh as he shrivelled up between the twins after he was done with calculating all the scores from earlier since the final group with the most points would get free coupons. Baekho scooted aside to give Minhyun space before handing him a chocolate bar. 

 

"Thanks. I'm so tired," Minhyun cried out softly while leaning against Baekho who stiffened. Dongho pouted and pulled Minhyun closer to himself. Minhyun naturally just leaned over to Dongho instead without noticing his jealousy. Baekho frowned but decided not to say anything as their other two classmates watched them. 

 

"You three are awfully close, huh," Woohyun said and smiled. Minhyun smiled and snuggled against Dongho. 

 

"Of course. We have been friends since young. Speaking of whi-" 

 

"Minhyun! We need to start preparing for the courage test." 

 

"Ugh... Can't I take a break?" Minhyun whined softly but slapped his cheeks and stood up anyways. 

 

"Coming..." 

 

"Ah, Minhyun. Take this too, just in case," Baekho said and handed him a snack bar. 

 

"Thank you. I'm so sorry I can't find any time to spend with you all," Minhyun whined and the twins waved as he jogged away. Minhyun felt like he was forgetting something as he started to help with the preparations but decided to just shrug it off. 

 

"Alright. Everyone in pairs of two and three," Seungwoo said as he handed the first pair a single flashlights. Daniel stood beside him and leaned on his shoulder. 

 

"You're not going to take part?" 

 

"Can't you see I have work, sunbae?" Seungwoo scoffed in return. Daniel chuckled and stretched. 

 

"Fine, fine. Ah. Are you two going together?" Daniel asked the twins as he headed back to his own group. Baekho smiled and nodded. Dongho noticed the smile and just nodded along. "How nice. Ah..."

 

"Nice... Are you sure we can make it on our own?" Dongho asked Baekho warily. His twin gulped and nodded. 

 

"For sure! We can't always rely on Minhyun when it comes to things like this."