42

Kang, Hwang, Kang

"Comingggg!" Baekho gasped as he rushed down the stairs with the doorbell being spammed. He opened the door and smoothed his hair out one more time before opening the door, smiling brightly as he saw the person standing there. "Morning, Minhyun."

 

"Mor-Why, hello there, handsome fellow," Minhyun chuckled as he saw Baekho dressed in a light pink sweater, his hair a glorious blonde again. "Dyed your hair back to blonde?"

 

"Yep! What do you think?" Baekho asked with a bright smile. Minhyun fixed his bangs a little and chuckled.

 

"Cute. You're really cute with this pink sweater too," Minhyun said in the end, fixing his hoodie too. Baekho blushed slightly but he couldn't hide the smile on his face either nor did he think he had any reason to anymore. 

 

"You look great as always too," Baekho said and gazed down at Minhyun's white shirt and beige coat. "Makes me feel a little underdressed."

 

Minhyun chuckled and shrugged. "I felt underdressed during my first date with Dongho and we wore uniforms for our first date so I thought I should step up my game a little. And also, happy birthday!" Minhyun enveloped him in a hug and Baekho raised his brows in surprise before returning it. He grinned and bounced a little.

 

"Thank you. We should get going now. The penguin show starts at 12 and we don't want to miss it."

 

"Penguin?!" Minhyun gasped in surprise as Baekho started to drag Minhyun towards the train station. 

 

"Yes. I managed to get tickets to the aquarium today and they have a penguin show too." 

 

"I thought Dongho would have more interest in these things."

 

"Well, doesn't mean I won't have any interest," Baekho replied and grinned. He was really happy he got to spend the day with Minhyun even if it meant celebrating his birthday without his brother. Maybe it wasn't so bad after all. "Plus Dongho and I both stayed in a submarine for a month before when my mother had a shift there." 

 

"I remember that. You told me about it." 

 

"Mhmm. The sea is so huge and all the fishes were so pretty. It was amazing even if it did get boring after awhile when all you see is water and the darkness beyond it." 

 

"But Dongho didn't get bored of it." 

 

"No... He always wanted to know more. Deeper. Down the depths. It scares me though so I guess I rather stay up top here." 

 

They reached the aquarium and both of them entered with the tickets Baekho had managed to procure before that. 

 

"We can enter and walk a bit, watch the show and then go for brunch. After that, if you feel like it, we can come back again for the rest of the place," Baekho said and Minhyun nodded, holding onto his hand as they walked to the first area where the otters were. It was feeding time so they watched the caretakers do little tricks with the otter before moving on. Every so often, taking pictures of the animals or with each other to keep moments of the date together. Minhyun made sure Baekho was enjoying himself but it was hard to tell since there was just a constant smile on his face. Minhyun loved to see that. It made his heart warm and fuzzy to see his childhood friend happy. 

 

"Minhyun, look. These fishes look like worms," Baekho chirped excitedly as he tapped at the glass. Minhyun peeked in and laughed softly. 

 

"They do. But they're cute." 

 

"They are." 

 

"Bae-" 

 

"Ah! The show is about to start. Come on!" Baekho dragged Minhyun towards the hall specified on the advertisement and they found a place to sit before it got too crowded. They clapped their hands when the penguins were showed to the stage and the performances started. Both boys watched with twinkling eyes as the penguins listened to their trainers well and performed the tricks swiftly. There was even a section where the audience could feed the penguins and Baekho's hand shot up immediately. Minhyun chuckled and tried to get the trainer's attention. Baekho gasped gleefully when he got called to the front and Minhyun watched him bounce towards the stage area. Minhyun took a video of Baekho feeding the penguin and smiled. He was glad Baekho was enjoying himself. 

 

"It was so cute and fat! It's like this round and it waddled. So cute," Baekho gushed over the penguin once it was over and they headed out of the aquarium to grab some food. Minhyun chuckled and nodded. 

 

"I know. I took a video too." 

 

"You did?! You're the best. Ahhh... I love it. Just look at how cute the pen-" 

 

Minhyun leaned down and kissed Baekho's cheek. Baekho froze and turned to Minhyun with surprised eyes. Minhyun chuckled softly and ruffled his hair. "Come on, penguin. We have to eat something." 

 

"Hey! I'm no penguin." 

 

"Eh but you're short and cute too. Fluffy." 

 

"I-I!" Baekho squeaked and turned red as he punched Minhyun's arm. "Not!" 

 

Minhyun giggled and kissed his lips, startling him. Baekho whined and covered his face. 

 

"Noooo. You're going to erase all my memories of the penguins." 

 

"Then you'll think of me?" 

 

"What do y-" Minhyun kissed Baekho again and he squeaked since they were in public. Baekho managed to detach himself and gasped for air. "M-Minhyun. We are in public!" 

 

"And?" Minhyun laughed and dragged Baekho this time. "Fried chicken?" 

 

"Pizza!" 

 

"Alright. Let's go." 

 

"And... Will you kiss Dongho like that too?" Baekho asked sheepishly after they had ordered and took a seat. 

 

"Huh?" 

 

"In public like what you did earlier to me." 

 

"Oh. Why do you ask?" 

 

"Well, you probably already know he is jealous of the way you treat me... And he thinks you're being more affectionate towards me." 

 

"He's not wrong," Minhyun said honestly and Baekho gasped. 

 

"Why? I thought... You were being fair to us." 

 

"I'm trying but... How do I explain... Dongho's personality makes it a little difficult for me to be the same as I am around you. If I kiss him in public, he might keep doing it and that'll make me embarrassed then. What if he does it in school? I don't want people to make fun of us..."

 

Baekho knew Dongho would most likely want more. He had said it himself after all. He wanted more, if not all of Minhyun. He tapped the table uneasily, reminded of their plan tonight and he gulped. "Minhyun... You don't actually hate my brother, right?" 

 

"Of course not. I would have broken up with him if I did."

 

"Okay."

 

"Why?"

 

"Do you hate the things that he did to you? Pushing you down per say?" 

 

"I... I can't say I hated it. I just wasn't prepared mentally and he wasn't listening to me either. It freaked me out but seeing him get hurt on the day of your competition really pained me. I knew I never wanted to see either of you hurt but to see that it actually happened... I knew I couldn't lose either of you."

 

"But if we... Do do it slowly, you'll be fine right?" 

 

Minhyun pursed his lips and shrugged. "Maybe? Why? Are you planning on doing something?" 

 

"N-no. I just... I just wanted to be sure." 

 

Minhyun tilted his head and squinted a little. He was pretty sure something was up now but since Baekho had clamped up, he decided not to make him uneasy especially on his birthday. Pizza came and it was just that easy for Baekho's smile to resurface. They finished it up and went back to the aquarium to spend the rest of their time together until it was time to go home. 

 

Dongho was already waiting with a simple pink coat and button up. His hair doing its usual neat curve. Minhyun chuckled a little since both twins had chose pink for the day and wondered if it was just coincidence. 

 

"Good evening, Minhyun. It's finally our turn," Dongho sighed and hooked his arm around Minhyun's once Baekho let his hand go. 

 

"Hey. Looking slick." 

 

"Thank you. You look perfect for our outing tonight too. Well, see you when we come hom, Baekho." 

 

"Ah. See you later too," Minhyun said since they had promise that they would at least cut the cake together even if Minhyun would be having dinner with Dongho. Baekho waved and hurried into the house to prepare. 

 

"So did you have fun?" 

 

"I did. I hope Baekho had more fun though since it is his birthday and now it's your turn so... Where are we going?" 

 

Dongho lifted two tickets and smiled. "We are going to go watch the orchestra." 

 

"Eh?" Minhyun was stunned for a moment since Dongho had chose something that he was pretty sure Baekho was more interested in instead. "What's going on?" 

 

"What do you mean?" 

 

"I mean... You're taking me to watch music but Baekho took me to the aquarium... I'm a little confused."

 

"Well..." Dongho sighed and smiled. "I guess we were thinking of each other while planning the dates. After all, we used to spend it together every year. This year is the first time we aren't so I guess our habits slipped in." 

 

"I'm relieved then." 

 

"Why?" 

 

"Because you still thought of him. No matter how much you say you're selfish or that you're cold towards Baekho, you still keep him on your mind. You could have gone to the extremes to tear both of us apart but here you are, still trying." 

 

Dongho stared at Minhyun and chuckled. "Thank you, Minhyun. Now let's enjoy ourselves tonight, shall we?" 

 

They got down the taxi after Dongho paid since he won at rock, paper, scissors to avoid arguing. Minhyun was stunned to see the music hall upclose for the first time. 

 

"Wow. It's like some Palace," he blurted out and Dongho nodded. 

 

"Can you imagine coming to this kind of place to see Baekho's performance in the future?" Dongho asked since they both knew that he wanted to pursue music. Minhyun gasped and grinned. 

 

"That would be mind blowing." Minhyun couldn't even imagine being here if Dongho didn't bring him but if Baekho performed at such a place, he would be determined to come and watch. "You would come with me, right?" 

 

"Of course. I wouldn't want to miss his performance." 

 

"Do you think he can make it?" 

 

"Do you think he can't?" 

 

"Of course I'm sure he can," Minhyun chuckled and they hooked arms as they entered the hall with other lavish looking people. "Aren't we too young for this?" 

 

"Nobody knows," Dongho whispered and giggled as they took their seat. 

 

"How did you even get the tickets?" 

 

"Bumzu hyung, of course. His uncle is part of the orchestra's planning team and the tickets were for me and Baekho originally but Baekho said I could use them for the date instead." 

 

"He didn't want them?" 

 

"He had the aquarium tickets ready but he never had the guts to ask you out." 

 

Minhyun raised his brows and giggled softly. "And he didn't ask you to go instead?" 

 

"Well, he did but after I told him it's fine for him to be a bit more selfish, he decided that he would ask you out instead." 

 

Minhyun nodded and leaned his head on Dongho's shoulder while they waited for the performance to start. Minhyun pulled out his phone and took a picture of them together before sending it to Dongho. "And now, you get your own pictures too."

 

Dongho smiled and shook his head. "Thank you, Minhyun. Let's take one more then." 

 

"Silly faces?" 

 

"Okay." 

 

They took another and the lights dimmed. Minhyun put his phone away and relaxed on the seat. He glanced at Dongho whose eyes brimmed with excitement as their fingers curled around one another's hand. Minhyun smiled and lifted it to his lips, placing a gentle kiss on it. Dongho blushed but the dark made it hard for Minhyun to notice it but he caught the smile on his face just as the lights flashed brightly for the opening of the performance.