40

Kang, Hwang, Kang

Dongho and Minhyun were both stunned as the table was suddenly filled with mostly junk food and fast food and the room had people cheering and yelling. Daniel walked over to them, about to say something with a smile but stopped.

 

"Are you crying?" he asked in surprise. Baekho was by his side instantly.

 

"Dongho, are you okay? Does it hurt a lot?" he asked, worry clear on his face and tone. Dongho chuckled softly and nodded.

 

"I'm okay. It doesn't hurt that much. I took a painkiller just now." Dongho managed to stop his tears and put on a smile, feeling warmth in his chest. Minhyun grabbed paper plates and also the trash can so they wouldn't trash the house too much. He grabbed a slice of pizza and handed it to Dongho before taking another for himself. "Thank you."

 

"Guys! Guys, listen up!" Daniel yelled to get their attention. "Tonight, we shall cheer for Dongho! He might not be part of the soccer team but he took one for us all. So cheers, Dongho!"

 

The rest echoed along with their cheers and Dongho became sheepish. He didn't know the soccer team was such a hyper bunch. Baekho cheered as well, smiling brightly.

 

"Why are you guys here anyways?" Minhyun asked and Daniel nudged Baekho.

 

"This guy couldn't sit still at all. He almost ran out by himself so we made the decision to come over instead," Daniel replied and Baekho blushed.

 

"Yah. Don't tell them that." 

 

"Thank you, Baekho," Dongho said with a smile. Baekho nodded and huddled up next to his twin. 

 

"Aigoo. You're so protective," Daniel teased Baekho before heading off to hang out with the others. Minhyun scooted closer as well, snuggling up to Dongho who chuckled softly. 

 

"Are you two trying to pamper me now? Shouldn't you be hating me?"

 

"Idiot. We wouldn't hate you. We could never hate you," Minhyun said and finished up the pizza. "You should eat up before it gets too cold."

 

-

 

Baekho helped him into bed, tucking him in before proceeding to lay down on the other side since Dongho had asked him to room with him and promised to try not to say anything upsetting again. Baekho scooted close to his twin and stared at him. Dongho chuckled softly as he glanced at him.

 

"No one is going to come get me now, Baekho. You don't have to watch over me so intensely," Dongho said and Baekho pouted.

 

"It doesn't change the fact that... You got hurt because of me." 

 

"Think about this way. Now, we are even."

 

"Huh?" Baekho frowned in confusion as Dongho relaxed on his bed.

 

"You got hurt because of me too back then and maybe even more times I can count so you don't have to blame yourself for me getting hurt because of you."

 

"But I never ended up with wheelchairs or crutches."

 

"Still, it would have hurt you."

 

Baekho pursed his lips and placed his head on Dongho's shoulder. "I guess we are even then." 

 

Dongho chuckled and ruffled Baekho's hair. "S-" 

 

Both the twins jolted when they heard a loud crashing noise from outside. 

 

"What was that?" Dongho asked worriedly. 

 

"I'll go check." Baekho got up and opened the window, peeking out but he saw nothing. Not even a cat but then another sound made him jolt as he realised it was coming from Minhyun's slightly opened window. "Minhyun? Are you okay?" 

 

"Is it Minhyun?" Dongho asked while sitting up slightly. Baekho shrugged and it took awhile before Minhyun poked his head out from the window. 

 

"Baekho," he gasped before squinting. "What are you doing in Dongho's room?" 

 

"We are sleeping together tonight. Are you okay? We heard noises from your room." 

 

"I... I was being... Upset at myself. Don't mind me," Minhyun chuckled nervously. 

 

"You didn't hurt yourself, did you?" 

 

"No. Not really." Minhyun stared at Baekho for a while before sighing. "Can I come over?" 

 

"Huh? Sure. We will always welcome you." 

 

Minhyun left his room immediately and Baekho shut the window. 

 

"What's going on?" Dongho asked. 

 

"Minhyun is coming over. He said he was upset so... I'm not sure. He probably broke something in his room." 

 

"Is he okay?" 

 

"He said he is." Baekho was about to sit down but jolted up again when Minhyun opened Dongho's room door, panting slightly as though he had ran all the way there despite just living next door. "Minhyun."

 

"Dongho, I'm really sorry," Minhyun apologised at once, making his way to the injured male and sniffled. Dongho blinked in confusion. 

 

"Are you crying?" 

 

"No but I'm close. I couldn't stop thinking about how if I had just went with you, it might not have happened." 

 

"No, Minhyun. If you were there, you might have gotten hurt too. I'm glad you weren't there." 

 

"But I could have done something..."

 

"Or nothing, Minhyun. Those guys were strong, stronger than I expected too. They were really trying to hurt me. I didn't even stand a chance against a single one." 

 

"I just... If I hadn't been mad at you... I wasn't even mad anymore, I was just being petty." 

 

"No, it was my fault for pushing you too much yesterday." 

 

"So it's even then?" Baekho interrupted and both of them stared at each other before nodding in agreement. 

 

"So um... I guess I should go back then." 

 

"Do you want to... Stay the night? There's plenty of space on the bed," Dongho said, trying his luck. Baekho blinked and scooted aside, patting the space in between them. "Promise I won't try anything cause I really can't right now." 

 

Minhyun chuckled and nodded. "Alright. I'll sleep here for the night." Minhyun crawled into the space between the twins and snuggled close to Dongho while Baekho came closer as well, leaning his head on Minhyun's arm shyly. Minhyun relaxed between them and smiled. He felt like they made up somehow. They fell asleep without much trouble since Dongho didn't have the energy to even stay awake and Baekho was pleased that he could sleep beside Minhyun. 

 

+

 

It was a bit of a struggle for Dongho to move around without help for awhile but he was stubborn as he was independent. He didn't want to rely on Baekho too much even though his twin stuck by his side the entire time as if he was afraid something might happen once he looked away.

 

"You're quiting soccer?" Dongho asked when he saw Baekho fill up the form to quit the club. The other had dragged him to the office with him, unwilling to be apart even just a minute long. Baekho nodded and handed in his application, bowing and thanking the staff before turning back to Dongho and helping him up to his feet. "Since when?"

 

"I had already planned on it at the beginning of the year but I stayed since Daniel wanted to win the nationals and our best bet was to go full out on it."

 

"You didn't mention it to me..."

 

"I also didn't mention to you that I'm actually part of the music club," Baekho said sheepishly and Dongho's eyes widened as they headed back home. Minhyun had a meeting so it was just the two of them.

 

"Since when?"

 

"Since I met Bumzu by accident in the music room. He caught me playing the piano or at least trying and decided to enrol me as a secret member."

 

"Wait. Does that mean the thing you mention you wanted to try was music?"

 

Baekho smiled nervously and nodded.

 

"But we don't even have a piano at home."

 

"I know but that doesn't mean I don't like music."

 

"No, no," Dongho muttered and stopped walking. Baekho looked at him in confusion. "We should go get one."

 

"Huh?"

 

"If you're serious about this, we should go get a piano then."

 

"But it's expensive."

 

"But it's necessary if you want to convince mum and dad."

 

"Are you sure? I'm afraid they might think music is just a waste of time."

 

"Baekho... You're saying as if sports wouldn't have been a waste of time either. We are all going to die! Everything is going to be a waste of time," Dongho chuckled and Baekho echoed his laughter.

 

"Right."

 

"Come on. Let's go view some pianos while waiting for Minhyun to come over."

 

Baekho beamed and nodded. He was glad Dongho didn't make it a huge deal even though getting a piano was probably one. 

 

Minhyun entered the twins' home and found them laying on the couch together, both looking at Dongho's phone. He grinned and took a quick picture of them before approaching them. 

 

"Oh, you're here," Dongho said and smiled as he put his phone aside. Minhyun helped them both up and they gathered around the table to study. 

 

"What were you two looking at?" Minhyun asked curiously as he flipped his homework open. 

 

"A potential birthday gift for Baekho," Dongho replied and Baekho gasped. 

 

"I told you we can't afford that now." 

 

Minhyun raised his brows and hummed. "What is it?" 

 

"It's nothing!" Baekho squeaked and Dongho chuckled. 

 

"Not going to tell me?" Minhyun whined and Baekho puffed his cheeks. 

 

"It's just something... Expensive. We can't possibly get one." 

 

"I'll chip in." 

 

"No! I'll work hard and get it myself." 

 

Minhyun frowned and pulled out two pieces of papers. "Let's do this." 

 

"Eh?" 

 

Minhyun waved the papers before sliding it to them. "Remember how we used to write down our birthday gift wishes and hand it to each other?" 

 

"But you're always so demanding with yours," Dongho said fondly as he chuckled. Minhyun blushed a little. 

 

"I'm sorry I'm an expensive person," Minhyun scoffed playfully. The two laughed before realising Baekho was staring intently at the paper. "Hey. It's not something so serious." 

 

"Ah. I know. I just... I know what I want for my birthday this year." 

 

"This, right?" Dongho teased while waving his phone with the picture of the piano Baekho had fallen in love with earlier. Baekho gasped and pouted. 

 

"N-no! We can't afford that." 

 

"Just write it down," Minhyun said and ushered them to write what they wanted. Dongho and Baekho both scribbled down their wish before folding it up and handing it to Minhyun. 

 

"You do it too," Dongho said and Minhyun nodded, writing down on a separate piece and handing it to them. Dongho beamed when he had it in his hands. 

 

"Let's study, shall we?" 

 

+

 

Minhyun sat on his bed with the two pieces of paper and gulped slightly as he flipped Dongho's open. 

 

'A date with Minhyun' 

 

He chuckled softly and shook his head. 

 

"This kid," he chuckled and knew that Dongho was definitely going for something that he could do. He opened Baekho's, expecting an item but was pleasantly surprised instead. 

 

'Minhyun's smile.' 

 

He laid down and blushed furiously at the two's birthday wishes. "This make it seem like it's my birthday instead. Aigoo... What should I do?" 

 

Minhyun had always prepared for them a letter every year, telling them how much they meant to him and how much he appreciated them and this year wasn't any different since they couldn't possibly afford luxurious items yet. He had kept all their previous wishes too, hoping that he would one day be able to afford for them. They stopped making wishes about the same time Dongho and Baekho started drifting apart. His eyes unintentionally caught himself in the mirror and he gulped softly. There was one thing he could offer. He breathed in and shut his eyes. 

 

Don't think of it as a big deal. You like them, right? Minhyun breathed out and nodded to himself. 

 

"I can do this. I'm Hwang Minhyun! I can do it as long as I put my mind to it," he squeaked and took out his phone to research more before attempting anything. After all, doesn't show everything and Minhyun always thought it would be better to be safe than sorry which meant he needed to go and buy some things in preparation too. Now, how would he buy those?