36

Kang, Hwang, Kang

Dongho waited outside the hall for the chess competition, looking down at the number in his hand and sighed.

 

"Worried?" Woozi asked since he had tagged along, wanting to be the first to see his win.

 

"No. Just a bit disappointed that Minhyun can't make it."

 

"Ah. The student president?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"I thought you were keeping it secret from him."

 

"He reads the papers you write so didn't matter... He already knew without me telling him."

 

Woozi nodded and kept quiet for a moment since he felt Dongho's restlessness. 

 

"Then in that case, I'll make a giant article for you. Make the whole school proud and Minhyun too." 

 

"I really don't need that." 

 

Woozi rolled his eyes and nudged Dongho. "Come on, you sap. Since when are you such a downer?" 

 

"Since I figured that I'm the one who is sabotaging my own relationships." 

 

Woozi sighed and slid down the chair slightly. "Sheesh. You're not going to be able to fix them if you act this way either." 

 

"I know bu-" 

 

"Number 20 to 40, please enter the hall now."

 

Dongho looked at his number just to be certain and stood up. "Well, wish me luck." 

 

"You can do it." Woozi flashed him a grin and thumbs up before Dongho disappeared into the hall with the rest of the contestants. It was a quick competition with five rounds, each with the winner of the previous round up the way to the top. Dongho pushed away all other thoughts the moment he sat in the chair in front of his competitor, letting none of his emotions affect him now as he played the game. 

 

"He is... Feeling... Down... Hmmm and send!" Woozi chirped and clicked the send button. 

 

Minhyun flinched when his phone vibrated. He pulled it out and read the message sent to him. 'Dongho is feeling down cause you're not here. Why don't you wish him good luck for the competition?' 

 

"Hwang Minhyun?" 

 

"Yes, coming!" Minhyun hurriedly got up from his seat and entered the dentist office. He felt bad for being unable to be there to cheer Dongho on since he had already had a dentist appointment made prior to the competition but he was determined to make up for it after. He sent a short 'Good luck!' message before sitting down on the chair to have his teeth checked. 

 

+

 

Baekho panted heavily as they had just finished the first round of the game, sipping on his water and trying to catch his breath for the second half of the game. He noticed the opponent team running around frantically and he also realised earlier when they were going against each other, they were lacking a proper striker. He wiped his sweat and told himself to just focus on the game tor now, getting up and heading towards the field as the whistle was blown. 

 

"Same tactic?" he asked Daniel as they went side by side. Daniel nodded and they rushed off to their own spots. 

 

"Let's get to the finals." 

 

The whistle was blown signifying the end of the game and Baekho stopped running. He gasped for air as Daniel rushed up to him and tackled him into a hug. 

 

"We made it, just one more games and we will be the winners!" Daniel cheered and his other teammates all gathered around too. Baekho grinned and nodded. 

 

"Crap. I gotta go to the bathroom," Baekho blurted out and Daniel laughed, shooing him to the bathroom. He headed down the hallway of the stadium, finding for the bathroom but slowed down when he saw a couple of medics carrying away a player on the stretcher. Baekho was confused when he recognised the shirt of the team he had just been playing against but had no recollection of this particular player on the field. He headed off to the bathroom and freshened up before joining his teammates who were already changing into dry clothes at the locker room. 

 

"Why the sullen face?" Daniel asked as Baekho pulled his shirt off. 

 

"I saw them taking a player to the infirmary just now but we were against the school so how did he get hurt before the competition and only found just now?" Baekho asked while wiping his sweat away. 

 

"Are you certain of this?" Daniel's tone became sharp and Baekho flinched. He nodded and Daniel rushed out of the locker room. Baekho was confused and hurriedly threw on his shirt, grabbing his bag and followed Daniel to the infirmary. A couple of students, some laying down and some sitting but a small group crowded around a bed and the two of them joined in. 

 

"You're going to be fine, okay? They already called an ambulance for you," the temporary medic said. Daniel winced when he saw the condition of the player and his worried friends surrounding him. All sweaty and worn out from the game they just had together. One of them caught sight of the two of them and frowned. 

 

"Did you do this?!" the male snapped and both of them flinched. 

 

"No, no. We were on the field with you guys. There's no way we could have done something like this," Daniel defended them. "It has to be from a different school." 

 

"Yeah but you guys took out our striker so you can win the match just now," another hissed accusingly. Daniel shook his head and gasped softly. 

 

"Hey. Quit yelling at us! We did nothing of the sort," Baekho hissed in return. "All of us were together. Nobody could have left to injure your striker earlier." 

 

"How cou-" 

 

"Enough, Jun," the injured player spoke and grabbed his friend. 

 

"Minghao."

 

"It wasn't them."

 

"You saw who did this to you?" Daniel asked. 

 

"They wore masks and stuff but they were much bigger than any of your team's members."

 

"How do you know that for sure?" Jun asked with a frown. "They beat you up."

 

"You don't trust me?" 

 

"I... I do." 

 

"Goddammit," Daniel cursed softly and started heading out. Baekho followed him and grabbed his arm. 

 

"Daniel, wait. Does this have to do with our senior?" 

 

"It has to be. It has to be the same people. The winners of the last nationals was from one of the China teams. It has to be one of them pulling the strings here." 

 

"But we can't go around accusing people without any proof." 

 

"Is that not proof enough?!" Daniel snapped and jabbed his finger towards the infirmary's direction. "Look at his leg! He won't be able to play properly if he doesn't get the treatment he needs soon. This is the same goddamn thing that happened!" 

 

"Calm down! Stop yelling!" 

 

"Daniel? Baekho? What's going on?" 

 

"Guys..." 

 

+

 

Minhyun stood outside the hall, waiting for Dongho and Woozi to come out. He beamed when he saw them and hopped up to them. 

 

"Dongho! Woozi!" Minhyun called out and Dongho gasped when he saw Minhyun followed by a bouquet of flowers waved up to his face. 

 

"W-woah!" Dongho squeaked in surprise. 

 

"How did it go?" Minhyun asked eagerly and Woozi grinned, lifting Dongho's hand that held the trophy. 

 

"Of course our chess club president won't disappoint," Woozi chirped and Minhyun squealed, hugging Dongho after the other had taken the bouquet. 

 

"Minhyun-" 

 

"Congratulations! You won again!" 

 

Dongho smiled and patted his back. "Thanks." 

 

"Well since I have what I need, I'll see you two in school," Woozi said and waved. 

 

"Bye," Minhyun bade him and Dongho waved, leaving the two of them alone. "I'm so sorry I couldn't come earlier." 

 

"No, it's fine. I'm glad you're here and... That you got me flowers," Dongho said while turning the bouquet to see what flowers Minhyun bought. "Thank you. That's all I need." 

 

"So... I want to make it up to you. What do you say, we go out for coffee now?" Minhyun asked and Dongho raised his brows. 

 

"I think I want to go home." 

 

"Oh. Okay." Minhyun was surprised since it was the first time Dongho had rejected his invitation to go out. "Then let's go back together."

 

"Yeah. I'll prefer that." Dongho smiled and curled his arm over Minhyun's since his hands were occupied. Minhyun smiled and led the way back. 

 

"Was it difficult? The matches." 

 

"Only the final ones. I mean... Not everyone participating are geniuses. Some are forced to take part so they don't really bother." 

 

"I see but I'm so happy for you."

 

"Thank you." 

 

Minhyun noticed that Dongho was still rather quiet and his smiles were rather distant. He sighed and pulled Dongho closer. "Alright. Spill it." 

 

"Huh?" 

 

"Either you tell me what's wrong or I'm going to have to force you to say it." 

 

"There's-" 

 

"Don't think about lying to me, Dongho. I'm not your friend for 6 years for no reason." 

 

Dongho let his expression fall as they entered his home. He placed the trophy down on the table and went to find a vase to put the flowers in whilst Minhyun followed him around. After he was done, he sat down with Minhyun. Minhyun frowned at him and poked his cheek. 

 

"I might have said something that hurt Baekho again," he whispered. Minhyun pursed his lips and stared at Dongho. 

 

"What did you say?" 

 

"I told him... That I... I want you for myself."

 

"Oh..." Minhyun rubbed his hands together. "Why would you say that to him?" 

 

"Because... I promised not to hide anything from him and hiding it from you is affecting my mood."

 

"But...aren't I being fair to the both of you?" Minhyun blurted out and Dongho nodded. 

 

"You are but I... I can't stop wanting to be selfish. I'm not like you or Baekho, just accepting this and you told me I could tell you if I can't stand it." 

 

"I-I did..." 

 

"Minhyun, you don't have to feel bad to reject me."

 

"Dongho, I do like you," Minhyun said and held Dongho's hand. "Please... I..." 

 

Dongho stared at Minhyun's hand and then at his frowning features. He lifted his other hand and eased the crease between his brows before climbing onto Minhyun who gasped. 

 

"Dongho?" 

 

"Then why can't I be your favourite twin?" 

 

"What are you talking about? Hey! Stop." Dongho pushed Minhyun down onto the couch and his eyebrows drooped. 

 

"Why do you do things with Baekho but don't do it with me?" 

 

"I... I'm sorry. You just... You make me more nervous than I do around him. I can't describe-" 

 

"Are you scared of me, Minhyun?" 

 

Minhyun paused his slight panic and stared at Dongho. He blinked, coming to realisation that he might be afraid of his best friend. He breathed in deeply, calming himself down before he replied Dongho, "When you act like this.. Yes." 

 

Dongho's brows furrowed and his lips pressed themselves into a thin line. "And what if it was Baekho doing this to you? Would you feel the same?" 

 

"That's not a fair question and you know it. Baekho won't ever do something like to me." 

 

"How would you know? He might be innocent but that doesn't mean he wouldn't have the desire to push you down. He, too.... He... He will do it if I give him a little push. I'll show you." 

 

"No, Dongho, don't. Please." Dongho pulled off Minhyun's belt and the taller male gasped, trying to stop him but unable to do so. He hadn't realised before how strong Dongho was as well. "Dongho, stop it. You're scaring me." 

 

"Bear with it for a while. Just until Baekho comes home." 

 

"What are you doing?" Minhyun cried out softly as Dongho grabbed his wrists and bound them with his belt. "Dongho, stop." 

 

"Just for awhile, Minhyun. I'll prove to you that Baekho is just the same." 

 

"No. You'll be forcing him to do it. It won't be at his own accord." 

 

Dongho just smiled and placed a hand across Minhyun's mouth as he heard keys jingling outside the door. 

 

"Mmmhp!" 

 

He put a finger on his lips and stared at Minhyun who fell silent as the door opened. 

 

"I'm home. Oh, Dongho," Baekho greeted him as he shut the door. He dropped his bag down and took off his shoes. Minhyun squirmed and shook his head but Dongho kept him still as he was heavier than the other. 

 

"Welcome home, Baekho."