25

Kang, Hwang, Kang

"Your turns now. Good luck," Seungwoo chirped while handing Dongho the flashlight since Baekho was already clawing his twin's shirt despite trying to act tough.

 

"Come on, Baek."

 

The two boys headed down the dark eerie forest path. Dongho shone the torchlight around, trying to find for the three papers they were meant to find as well as the way out. Baekho had shrunk close to him while taking small steps, twitching involuntarily at every little noise.

 

"It's not that bad," Dongho said albeit the slight tremble in his voice.

 

"Hnnn-"

 

"Y-you said we can do t-this without Minhyun," Dongho squeaked, getting increasingly talkative as he got more afraid.

 

"It's too dark!" Baekho whined and bit his lower lip.

 

"We can do this. We can do this!" Dongho tried to convince himself. A sudden exploding noise cause Baekho to scream and Dongho to jump as they both stumbled back on their feet and fell onto one another.

 

"Uwaaa... I don't want to do this!" Baekho complained and Dongho hurriedly got onto his feet, pulling his twin up with him as they both crossed arms and shuffled forward slowly. "Let's go back, Dongho ahhhh."

 

"Aigoo. It's just a balloon popping! C-concentrate, Baekho." Dongho felt nervous despite knowing the people doing the jumpscares were just their schoolmates. He hated it just as much as Baekho did. They were both never good with scary stuff after all. "Look. The first paper."

 

Dongho grabbed it from the tree and a bloody arm fell down. Both of them yelped and clung onto one another, shutting their eyes tightly. Dongho accidentally dropped the flashlight as well.

 

"Scary!" Baekho yelled, throwing a small fit and Dongho let out a whimper as well. They both opened their eyes when it was quiet again and Dongho quickly snatched up the flashlight.

 

"We can do this, we can do this," he repeated over and over again like a broken record as the two now sped up their pace while hugging one another. "Nobody is going to get us. This is nothing. We can do this."

 

"Yah. That's scary. Stop it," Baekho hissed, about to bail at any moment now if not for his twin holding onto him. The flashlight started to flicker and both of them froze. "T-that is b-because you dropped it, r-right?" 

 

"Maybe?" Dongho cried and just as he shifted the flashlight a little, before them stood a long haired person with their face covered and bloody sheets worn over their body. It twitched and Baekho lost it. He screamed and shoved Dongho instinctively, bolting off by himself. Dongho gasped but the fear from the ghost didn't seize him. The fear of Baekho who suddenly strayed off the path did. "Baekho, stop! We aren't supposed to stray- Baekho!" 

 

+

 

Minhyun raised his head and looked at the forest path as he spotted Woohyun and Myungsoo rushing out from the forest. He blinked and waved at them since he was at the exit.

 

"Hey. You two made it," he said and they nodded.

 

"Sure did. Where's the twins?" Woohyun asked and Minhyun froze with a smile on his face that slowly faltered.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"They went before us. Haven't they come out?" Myungsoo asked and Minhyun gasped.

 

"They went just the two of them?" 

 

"Yeah since Seungwoo told us to go in pairs."

 

"Oh crap. Oh ," Minhyun blurted as he finally remembered what it was that had been bugging him since earlier. He snatched the flashlight from Myungsoo as he rushed into the forest path himself. 

 

"Minhyun?!"

 

Minhyun made it to the final checkpoint and panted softly. "Sunbae! Have you seen the twins?"

 

"Oh, Minhyun. No. The twins haven't pass by here yet."

 

"... Where..." Minhyun rushed off to the next checkpoint and gasped for air, feeling his fatigue from the day pulling him down. "Thank god... Have you two seen the twins?" 

 

"You mean Baekho and Dongho? They went back." 

 

"Huh? Okay. Thanks." Minhyun was confused at this point but since he was already at the halfway point, he decided to go all the way to the front to make sure the twins were there. Seungwoo gave Minhyun a surprised look when the student council president showed up with a worried and concerned look. 

 

"Hey. What's going you all worked up? Or is that everyone allowed to participate?" Seungwoo asked since there were still a couple pairs left. 

 

"No, no. I'm uh... Have you seen the twins?" Minhyun asked, worry clear in his tone by now. Seungwoo shook his head. 

 

"They already went in earlier. What's wrong?" 

 

"Myungsoo and Woohyun came out and they asked me where the twins were but they haven't come out yet." 

 

"But Myungsoo and Woohyun went in later than them. What about the others?" 

 

Minhyun shook his head and gulepd down his saliva painfully. "I went to all the checkpoints. The first one said they went by but the second said they went back. Third didn't see them." 

 

Seungwoo gasped and gritted his teeth. "They couldn't have..." 

 

"Dammit. If only I remembered earlier... I'm going back in to find them." 

 

"I'll come along." 

 

"No. You take care of the other students. Once everyone goes through and I'm not back yet, tell the teacher!" 

 

"Minhyun! Wait!" 

 

-

 

Baekho panted as he finally slowed down from his sudden sprint. He breathed in deeply and stiffened as he finally realised he had no freaking clue as to where he was now.

 

"D-Dongho?" he whimpered when he noticed his brother wasn't with him and looked around his surroundings that seemed similar everywhere he turned. Trees after trees with only the dim moonlight shining through the leaves. "Oh . No, no, no... C-calm down... Dongho?!"

 

Baekho couldn't believe he freaked out and made such a fatal mistake of running into the forest all alone at this hour. He hated how much of a scaredy cat he was when it came to horrifying stuff even if it was just a smidge. He couldn't handle it. He started to shake where he stood, unsure where he should go now. Back the way he came? But he might get lost even more. Or maybe just stay put? Someone is sure to notice him missing, right? Right? He wasn't going to die here, right? His thoughts started to tear him down as he dropped to his knees and his eyes teared up. He shouldn't have tried to act tough earlier. There's no way the two of them could have done it by themselves. He was a coward! He couldn't even watch horror movies without covering himself with a pillow every so often. He shouldn't ha-

 

"Baekho!"

 

He gasped when he saw his twin brother burst through the trees with a dying flashlight just as they reunited. He immediately hugged Dongho who patted his back as he sobbed a little.

 

"Oh... Thank god you're okay," Dongho said and made sure Baekho wasn't injured before looking around. ". How are we going to find our way back?" Dongho moved but realised he was rooted to the spot as Baekho buried himself against his chest. "Baekho? We have to move."

 

"I'm scared... I don't wanna go," Baekho cried out as he prevented Dongho from moving. 

 

"Baekho... Don't be childish now. We have to go back or the others will worry about us," Dongho said, trying to convince his twin to move. Baekho shook his head and gripped him harder. "Ahhh. Okay, okay. We will take a rest, okay? Don't hug me so tightly. I can't breathe." 

 

Baekho sniffled and his legs buckled. Dongho caught him and patted his head. "What if we get lost forever?" 

 

"Idiot. The others will come and find us. Minhyun will find us, okay? Don't cry." 

 

Dongho lifted Baekho's face and started to wipe his tears away. He stared at his twin and for a split second, a scary thought crossed his mind.

 

There wouldn't be a need to share Minhyun if Baekho gets lost in the forest and there's only Dongho left. 

 

He jolted when he realised what he was thinking and quickly shoved it out of his head, pulling Baekho into a warm embrace. No, he was not going to leave Baekho here all alone. Definitely not! He couldn't believe himself as he squeezed Baekho. 

 

"Dongho... You're... Choking me now." 

 

"Ack. I'm sorry." Baekho calmed down a little as he still held onto his twin for comfort. Dongho patted his back soothingly. "This reminds me of when we got lost in the haunted house." 

 

"Huh?"

 

"You ran backwards and pulled me along back then. Minhyun found us after that by himself and brought us out even though he should have gotten the adults first." 

 

Baekho smiled a little as he thought about that moment. He was relieved that Minhyun found them but also glad that there was someone who was always by his side no matter how scared he was. Someone he could depend on. His brother. That's why as long as Dongho was happy, he wouldn't and needn't ask for more. He had forgotten that and his mind had twisted his thoughts but right now, he remembered the kind and caring Dongho. The one person who held his hand no matter where they went. The one person who was by his side since birth. "Dongho..." 

 

"Yeah?" 

 

"Thank you for being in this relationship with us. I was so scared that I would lose you. Losing Minhyun might make me feel horrible but losing you would be much much worse. I don't ever want to go through that," Baekho said honestly. 

 

"Silly. What are you being all sappy for?" Dongho sighed. "Losing Minhyun... Or you would make me feel like the world is about to end. You're both just as important to me, Baekho." 

 

Baekho nodded and rubbed away his tears as he finally calmed down enough to let his twin go. 

 

"You feeling better now?" 

 

Baekho nodded and smiled a little more. "Yeah! I can't always be this weak. I need to be stronger. For your sake and Minhyun's." 

 

Dongho chuckled and ruffled Baekho's hair. "You will. You already are. We just aren't good with scary stuff." 

 

"Dongho! Baekho!" 

 

"Ah. Minhyun?" Dongho gasped as he helped Baekho up again. "He must've had rushed in to find us. Come on, Baekho." 

 

"Dongho, this time, is it really okay for me to show Minhyun how much I love him?" 

 

Dongho flinched and gulped. He smiled and nodded. "Of course. He's also your boyfriend now, isn't he? Plus it won't be fair if I'm the only one who gets to kiss him." 

 

Baekho blinked and blushed. 

 

"Minhyun! We are over here!" 

 

"Dongho? Dongho! Keep talking! I'll come your way." 

 

"Over here. Baekho and I are both here!" 

 

Minhyun's flashlight made an appearance before he walked out, panting and gasping as if he had just ran a marathon. He walked up to the twins and collapsed in their arms. Relief washed over him. "Oh... I found you two. Thank goodness. You're not hurt, right? Both of you." 

 

"No. We are fine. Just a little spooked," Dongho replied, hugging Minhyun in return. 

 

"That's good. And you, Baekho?" 

 

Baekho jumped and clung onto Minhyun as well. "I'm... Good." 

 

"Good. Goo....." 

 

Both the twins felt the weight shift and exchanged glances. "M-Minhyun?" 

 

A soft snore escaped from the student council president and they both stifled a laughter. "No, wait. This is really bad, isn't it?" 

 

"Ah... Minhyun really fell asleep on us," Dongho chuckled as they both froze on the spot. 

 

"What do we do now?" 

 

"Well... We can just wait until morning for help or we can walk the way he came from. His flashlight is working after all."

 

"I'll carry him then." 

 

Dongho nodded and tilted Minhyun over to Baekho who lifted the sleeping male in his arms. He turned red when Minhyun leaned against him. Their faces were quite close since Minhyun was lengthy. His breath tickled Baekho's neck, distracting him from the eerie pitch black. Dongho picked up the flashlight and chuckled, unable to hold in his laughter. 

 

"Ahhh... He found us." 

 

"Mmm. He sure did."