39

Kang, Hwang, Kang

Minhyun was fidgety the entire time. He couldn't focus on the match, constantly worrying about Dongho and itching to go back to his side but he didn't want to miss this either and he didn't want Baekho to be sad if neither of them were there to watch him play since he had also been silently excited that he got to play at the nationals.

 

Baekho passed the ball to Daniel and rushed ahead to secure the goal if Daniel couldn't kick it in. Daniel signalled Baekho and shot the ball. The enemy goalkeeper tried to block it and just as Baekho was about to kick it, someone hurled themselves onto him. Baekho stumbled and fell, causing the referee to blow his whistle and a yellow card was flashed. Daniel rushed up to him and helped him up.

 

"You alright?"

 

"Yeah. That just knocked right into me."

 

"We gotta be more careful. They're out to destroy us."

 

Baekho glared at them and brushed the dirt off his pants. He unconsciously looked at the bleachers. He saw Minhyun there but still no sign of Dongho. He peeled his focus away as the referee whistled again.

 

Keep your head in the game.

 

The game continued and Baekho was more on guard. He dodged the players as skillfully and as much as he could, not wanting to get injured now. They were almost halfway there. 

 

"Aghh-" 

 

Baekho stopped running when he heard the yell and glanced back, seeing one of their other teammates on the ground and clutching his feet. Another yellow card was flashed and the game reached its half way point. They hurriedly gathered back at the bench and checked on their teammate. As expected, Daniel was fuming. Baekho glanced over to the enemy team and caught them snickering and nudging one another. Daniel stood up and was about to cross the field but Baekho and a few others held him back. 

 

"Let me go! These heads need to learn!" Daniel raged and they held on tighter.

 

"Calm down, Daniel. Don't let your anger get ahead of you." 

 

"They hurt Joon! You expect me to just stand here and let this happen?" 

 

"Daniel. I'm fine. He just stepped on me for a bit." 

 

Daniel tried to calm down and they made him walk to one side to breathe. Baekho patted his back. "Why can't they just play fair?" 

 

"I don't know, Daniel. I guess they're just... Desperate." 

 

"To hurt others? It's just crazy, Baekho!" 

 

"I... I don't know, Daniel. But we almost there. The scores are even now so we have to focus." 

 

Daniel breathed out and nodded. "Yeah. I know." 

 

"Okay. Let's get back in there then." 

 

+

 

"And game!" 

 

The crowd cheered and their cheer echoed around the stadium. Baekho panted and turned to Daniel who looked at him. Huge grins broke out on their faces as they all screamed in victory and rushed to hug one another. 

 

"We did it!!" 

 

"We won!" 

 

They started to lift Daniel up in the air and tossing him in celebration for their win. Baekho laughed at the rest before his attention was taken away again, expecting Minhyun and Dongho to be there but to his disappointment, neither of them were there in the crowd cheering. He felt dread but he couldn't understand why. He was about to leave the group when Daniel saw him. 

 

"Hey, Baek. Where are you going?" 

 

"Sorry, Daniel. I have to check on my brother. Something just doesn't feel right after all." 

 

Baekho hurried out to the hallway and he bumped into Minhyun coincidentally. Minhyun gasped and stepped back in surprise. 

 

"Baekho? Aren't you celebrating with the rest?" 

 

"I... Where's Dongho? He wasn't in the bleachers the entire time. I just saw him this morning." 

 

Baekho noticed how sullen Minhyun's expression was and he knew something was definitely wrong. He shook his head.

 

"No... There's no way he got hurt, right?" Baekho broke off into a sprint towards the infirmary and Minhyun ran after him. 

 

"Wait, Baekho!" Baekho burst into the infirmary and scanned all the beds. He recognised his brother immediately and ran over. "Dongho!" 

 

"Baekho, stop. He's hurt," Minhyun said, entering the infirmary just in time to stop Baekho from grabbing his twin. 

 

"Why? Who did this?!" Baekho snapped, seeing the bandages and bruises on his twin. His anger flared and Minhyun had to hold him to stop him from hitting anything. "Let me go, Minhyun! I'm going to kill whoever did this!" 

 

"You can't. Calm down." 

 

"They hurt Dongho! How can I stay calm?" Baekho started to shake and anger tears flowed down his cheeks as he curled his fists. Minhyun turned him around and enveloped him in a hug. Baekho sobbed and gripped Minhyun's shirt. ". ! Why him?" 

 

"Baekho?" a small hoarse voice spoke and Baekho turned to Dongho who had opened his eyes. 

 

"Dongho... Hey..." 

 

"Did you guys win? If you're crying like that, you'll make me think you lost," Dongho said with a teasing tone. Baekho rubbed his tears away and cried out. He shook his head and tried to calm down, grabbing hold of Dongho's hand that raised a little. 

 

"We won. We won but you got hurt."

 

"I guess I did. Hey, congratulations. Its a big win." 

 

Baekho shook his head again and sniffled. "It doesn't feel like I won when you're here laying in the sick bed." 

 

"You make it sound like I'm dying," Dongho chuckled and slowly pushed himself up while grunting painfully. Minhyun helped him sit up and Dongho smiled thankfully. "I'm alright. Just bruises here and there." 

 

"Who did this? I'm going to beat them up. I swear." 

 

"Baekho?" Daniel's voice interrupted them as the soccer team entered the infirmary. They gasped, seeing as how Dongho was on the bed. "What happened?" 

 

"Someone beat my brother up and I need to know who and why!" Baekho growled and Daniel patted his back. 

 

"Baekho... I think I know why," Daniel blurted out to all their surprise. 

 

"You mean this isn't just a random bullying incident?" Dongho asked with raised brows. Daniel shook his head and pointed to his shirt. 

 

"You're... Wearing Baekho's jersey." 

 

Silence fell in the infirmary as it clicked for the soccer team and Baekho. Both Dongho and Minhyun were still confused since they didn't know about the incidents that had been happening to the soccer players. 

 

"What about the jersey?" Minhyun asked and Baekho gasped. 

 

"It's my fault..." 

 

"No. No, it's not your fault, Baekho," Dongho squeaked and squeezed his twin's hand. 

 

"Strikers have been getting attacked every time during nationals. Just yesterday, the previous team playing had their striker taken out in a same fashion too. They might have...mistaken you for Baekho." 

 

"I gave you the jersey to wear. We were being so careful with our own players that I forgot... Oh god...," Baekho spoke in a shaky voice before he started to burst into tears again. Dongho groaned and lifted his hands up to hug Baekho. "It's my fault you got hurt." 

 

"Have any of you complained to the coaches or teachers yet?" Minhyun asked with a frown. 

 

"We tried doing that the last time. The victims wouldn't tell us who it was. They were afraid of something."

 

"Who wouldn't be afraid of big buff guys beating them up?" Dongho said. "But I'm not part of your soccer teams. I can tell you who did this to me. I even remember their faces." 

 

"Then let's go now before everyone leaves," Baekho hissed and Dongho held him.

 

"But you have to promise me you won't do anything. You just won the game, Baekho. If you lay your hands on them, they might take it away."

 

"I don't care! They deserve to get hurt for what they did to you!"

 

"You're not listening! If they take away your championship, that means your entire team is affected too. Do you want Daniel and the others to get dragged down too? I am enough."

 

Baekho flinched from the sharp tone Dongho was using and sniffled. He nodded slowly and Dongho patted his back.

 

"I'll go get the China team's coaches. You two bring Dongho out," Daniel said before ushering the rest of the students out as well.

 

"Can you stand?" Baekho asked softly and Dongho nodded.

 

"I can try."

 

"There's a wheelchair here," the medic said.

 

"Thank you."

 

They brought Dongho out of the infirmary to the outside of the stadium where the students were all gathering to leave. Daniel was there, talking to both countries' coaches and teachers before motioning to Dongho who showed up on the wheelchair. Baekho caught the look of surprise on their opponent team's faces. He knew it. They didn't know he had a twin since they had probably never seen the two of them together before. Daniel came over with the teachers and coaches who started fusing over Dongho who started telling them what had happened.

 

"So you can tell us who did this to you?"

 

"Yes. Before I tell you. Minhyun."

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Could you hold onto Baekho?"

 

"Sure." Baekho puffed his cheeks as Minhyun held his arm to prevent him from running off the moment Dongho exposed his attackers. Dongho scanned the students and started to pick out the three males who had attacked him in the hallway. The teachers took note of the students and thanked Dongho for stepping up. 

 

"Not even one punch?" Baekho asked as if that'll make them change their mind. 

 

"No," Minhyun said firmly. Baekho grumbled. 

 

"They'll get their punishment once they go back," Daniel said once everything had been settled. "In the meantime, we should still celebrate our win and you two should join us too." 

 

Dongho shook his head. "I want to go home and rest." 

 

"I'll go home too," Baekho squeaked but Dongho held his hand. 

 

"No, you should go celebrate, okay? You won the nationals. Its not a small thing. You should hang out with Daniel and your soccer teammates." 

 

Baekho frowned and wanted to argue but Minhyun cut in first. "I'll stay with him. That way you won't have to worry." 

 

Dongho was surprised that Minhyun would even offer that after what he had pulled yesterday. Baekho stared at them with puppy eyes before giving up. "Fine. But I'm coming home as soon as we are done." 

 

"Enjoy yourself, okay?" Dongho said and smiled. Baekho wasn't sure how he was going to do that but if Dongho wanted him to, he would try. "Come on, Minhyun. Let's see if the teachers would be kind enough to let us hitch a ride in their car." 

 

They even got a ride to the clinic, getting Dongho checked up properly before they reached home. Minhyun helped him onto the couch as they had to return the wheelchair earlier. 

 

"I'll go get you some water," Minhyun said as he went to the kitchen. He sighed to himself and recomposed himself before heading out again. He noticed Dongho just blankly staring at his hand but once he was close enough, he noticed the tears flowing down his cheeks as well. He froze before rushing to Dongho's side. "Dongho? Why are you crying?" 

 

Dongho flinched and gasped, rubbing away his tears. "Oh... I didn't even notice." 

 

"It must've had been scary, huh..." 

 

"It... I guess." Dongho rubbed his temples and groaned. "I can only imagine how much Baekho is blaming himself for this now. I don't know what to do." 

 

"We already did what we can do. Even I'm blaming myself... If I had just followed you..." 

 

Dongho held Minhyun's arm and shook his head. "No... Don't blame yourself too. I deserved it after what I did to you." 

 

"You don't! Nobody deserves to get hurt." 

 

Dongho cried softly and tried to stop his tears from flowing. He was just as much of a crybaby as Baekho was after all. Minhyun rubbed his shoulder, hoping he was of some comfort. Dongho leaned on his shoulder and sobbed. Just as he was about to fall asleep, the door opened and without warning, the entire soccer team flooded their home. 

 

"Dongho! We came here to celebrate since you can't come with us so we brought the party to you!"