38

Kang, Hwang, Kang

Minhyun stepped out to the railing and tried to spot Baekho from above. As mad as he said he was at the other, he really didn't want to miss this. It would probably be the last huge match Baekho took part in after all and he had already made it to the finals too. He beamed when he saw the dark haired male walking out along with the rest of his teammates, waving his arms in hopes Baekho would spot him. Baekho did and waved back, smiling a little since Minhyun wasn't ignoring him.

 

"Looks like your boyfriend is here to cheer for you," Daniel teased and Baekho blushed.

 

"Ugh. Don't say it in such a tone. Where's Seungwoo anyways?"

 

Daniel cleared his throat and shrugged. "Probably still mad at me for accidentally yelling at him the other day."

 

"Oh. Why did you yell at him?"

 

"He was trying to tell me that I was just overthinking things and that our senior getting injured wasn't planned. I got upset and yelled at him..."

 

"I see."

 

"And after seeing that other student getting hurt yesterday, I'm even more paranoid today."

 

"I know. Its the fifth time you did a head count today."

 

"It's our final match. I don't want to lose any of you." 

 

"We will be careful." 

 

Dongho dried his hair with the extra towel and hummed softly to himself as he put on Baekho's jersey. He shut the locker and headed out with the bag over his shoulder. He rolled up the long sleeves and pulled out his phone to text Minhyun that he was heading up now. He stopped when he realised there were people standing in front of him. He blinked and tried to side step away but they blocked his path again. Annoyed, he unintentionally glared at them since they were stopping him from going back to Minhyun's side. 

 

"Excuse me?" 

 

The three males started to talk to each other in a language Dongho could barely pick up on. He turned around and they surrounded him. 

 

"Hey. Move it," Dongho hissed and tried to push his way through but they grabbed his wrists and pushed him against the wall. Dongho gasped and gritted his teeth, bringing his leg up and kicking the one in front of him away. Yes, they were bigger than him but Dongho wasn't in the mood for games right now. He wasn't about to miss his brother's match especially when their parents were already not around for them. The male stumbled back but the other two started to beat him up. Delivering blows to his exposed torso. Dongho gasped in shock as he felt air being forcefully expelled from his chest but he refused to topple over. The fallen male got up and the three of them started to drag Dongho away from the hallway as he started to scream, "HELP! SOMEBODY!" 

 

One of them yelled something and the other covered his mouth. He bit down on the hand harshly and a punch went across his face. He felt a wave of nausea and a stinging ache on his cheek as he fell onto the ground. He coughed and realised he was trapped in some storage room. The three weren't done with him though as they started stomping down on him. Dongho tried to block himself but realised they were after his legs. One crushing step after another. Dongho gasped and coughed in pain. He tried to get up but they only shoved him back down. Three against one was an unfair fight after all. He tried to swing the bag at them but they caught it and toss it aside. They started yelling words to one another and Dongho became startled when his neck was grabbed. The other two holding him down. He choked on his saliva and tried to kick them away but he could barely breathe, feeling his lungs tighten and his mind faint. He felt his consciousness slipping and wheezed, struggling as much as he could before everything turned pitch black.

 

"Yo!"

 

"Woozi. You're here too?" Minhyun gasped when the short male approached him.

 

"Yep. It is the nationals' final after all and it'll definitely make headlines if we won. Second place is good enough too."

 

"I agree. I just hope they have a fair game."

 

"Speaking of which, the game is starting soon but I don't see Dongho. Did he not come?"

 

"He did. Some guy spilt his drink on him so he went to get some spare clothes from Baekho."

 

"But Baekho is on the field. And the game is about to start so he should be back by now."

 

Minhyun pursed his lips and looked at the field where the players had finished warming up. He checked his phone to find a message sent by Dongho about 15 minutes ago, stating he was on the way. "I'll go find him. He's probably in the toilet or something."

 

"What if you miss the match?"

 

"You're the one with the camera." Minhyun hurried down and started rushing to the toilet first to find for Dongho. He walked pass a group of laughing males and pouted slightly as he entered the toilet. "Dongho? Are you in here?" 

 

He checked all the stalls but they were empty so he headed to the locker rooms but the door was locked so he couldn't check. He tried to find for a janitor or someone who had the keys to it before he stumbled upon a random bag outside a door. He recognised the bag since he had seen Baekho bringing it around to school almost every day. He picked it up and frowned. What was it doing on the ground randomly? He looked at the door beside it and realised it was the storage room. He tried the knob but it was locked too. He leaned his ear against the door and knocked. 

 

"Dongho? Are you in there?" Minhyun was just trying his luck at this point and groaned when he was responded with silence again. He pulled out his phone and dialled the twin's number. He was about to walk away when he heard a familiar ringtone. He paused and looked around, trying to figure out where the sound was coming from. He looked inside the bag but it wasn't inside. He looked at the door and placed his ear against it again. It was faint but Minhyun could somewhat guess it was coming from inside which made him confused. Why would Dongho's phone be in the storage room? He knocked and tried the knob again. "Dongho! If you're in there, answer me!" 

 

He ended the call and the ringtone died out as well. He started feeling nervous and rushed to find a janitor or maybe even a teacher. 

 

Baekho was antsy and he felt uncomfortable as he stared at the enemy team getting ready and eyeing them. He turned to the bleachers and raised his brows, standing up and trying to find for the two most important person in his life. He was about to leave when Daniel held his arm.

 

"Where are you going?"

 

"Minhyun and Dongho aren't up there," he said. Daniel gazed upwards and shook his head. 

 

"The match is about to start, Baekho. Surely they will come back soon."

 

"But...something feels weird. Those guys have been staring at me for awhile now and Minhyun promised that they would both be there."

 

"Baekho, focus. We are in our final match now. You can care about them later. I'm sure they won't disappoint you." 

 

But Baekho still felt uneasy. He sat down and nervously rubbed his hands, hoping it'll calm him down somehow. 

 

"Okay. Everyone, gather around," Daniel said as he was the captain. "We can do this, alright? It's the final match. We are going to beat this out of the field." 

 

The others cheered as they all circled around. "One, two, fighting!" They broke apart and headed to the field. Baekho spared the bleachers one last glance before following the rest. He entered the field, taking his spot while stretching his feet. A member of the China team came up to him and Baekho recognised him. The one he met at the hallway and that had spoke to him. He had this look of anger on his face and Baekho turned away. 

 

"How are you still so spry?" the male asked with a little laugh. Baekho was confused and frowned. 

 

"What are you talking about?" 

 

The male's laugh slacked and he looked down at Baekho's legs. "Oh. I see what's going on." 

 

"What?" 

 

The referee blew the whistle and Baekho had no choice but to put his focus into the game albeit constantly getting distracted with his loud thoughts. First Dongho is gone, then so is Minhyun and now this? He started running across the field and almost tripped when a midfielder suddenly showed up, bumping into him. He slowed down and gasped. It couldn't be. He looked at his legs. That's why the other looked at them. He needed to find Dongho. 

 

"Baekho, heads up," Daniel's voice yelled for him and he turned. Fear and worry gripped his chest but he couldn't lose the match now. They were in their final match and giving up would mean disappointing Daniel and the entire soccer team who practiced so hard to get here. 

 

"Excuse me," Minhyun called out to the janitor who he finally was able to find. "Excuse me." 

 

"Yes?" 

 

"I'm sorry to disturb you but uh... Do you have the key to the storage room? I think someone might be trapped in there and if it's really not a bother, could you help me open it?" 

 

"What are you talking about? The storage room isn't locked. Not when the game is ongoing." 

 

"Uh... No, it is locked. I checked just now." 

 

The janitor frowned and they both made their way back to the door. He tried the door and raised a brow in confusion. He went through the keys, flipping through them until he found the right one. He unlocked the door and swung it open. They both gasped when there was indeed someone laying on the ground. 

 

"Dongho!" Minhyun shouted and rushed to his side, pulling the skipping rope around his arms off. Dongho groaned softly as Minhyun lifted him up in his arms to see if he was okay. There were bruises around his neck and his clothes were dirtied where he had been hit or stomped on. His eyes flickered open and he smiled slowly. 

 

"Minhyun.... You... Found me." 

 

"We gotta get him to the infirmary," the janitor said and Minhyun tried to lift Dongho up but his arms were shaking a little from seeing Dongho's state. The janitor helped him and they brought him to the infirmary. The medic gasped and started taking off the jersey to see the damage done while Minhyun stood aside. Dongho blinked his teary eyes open again and looked at Minhyun. 

 

"You should... Go... Go back. Baekho... Baekho is waiting." 

 

Minhyun shook his head and pursed his lips. "How can I?" 

 

"Don't disappoint him." 

 

Minhyun held his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. "I'll call a teacher and come back the moment its over, okay? Just take it easy. 

 

Dongho smiled and nodded. "Don't worry... I'm strong. I can handle some pain." 

 

Minhyun didn't trust that but it was also hard for him to pick between the two. He slowly let Dongho's hand go and headed back to the bleachers to inform the teacher of what happened and watch Baekho's match. 

 

Dongho sobbed and hissed in pain as the medic helped him clean his bruises and bandaged the worst of it.

 

"You should go to a clinic and get a proper check up."

 

"I'll go... Once the match is over."

 

"Are you sure? You're in a lot of pain. We should check if there's any actual breakage or-"

 

"Please? My brother is in the match. If he finds out, he would be too worried to focus."

 

"Okay. Just... Rest and stay still then. I'll talk to your teacher."

 

"Thank you."