Nine

The Broken

Minzy couldn't understand why Alpha Jiyong was always storming away from her. Honestly she just wanted to help him, but he had rejected her offer by leaving her confused by his abrupt leave. Confused and feeling horrible about herself seemed to be the way he left her and she didn't like it. She didn't like it one bit as she turned to retreat back to her room to find it full of the team that had awaited her arrival. Before she could say a word, she was being pulled into her bathroom.

Amazed to see the tub was set up with rose petals floating in the made bubble bath, she also took notice of the candles and soft spa like music playing. Squeaking as her clothing was being stripped away from her, she held her hands out to stop them. She waved for them to look away and took off her clothing before getting into the soothing water. A glass of wine was placed into her hand before cucumber slices were placed onto her eyes and she was told to sit back and relax. Trying to be as compliant as possible she leaned her back further into the tub as some sort of cream was lathered onto her face, down her neck to her arms and hands then down to her toes and up to her calves. She let out a soft sigh of relief as she felt the knots in her neck and shoulders were being massaged out. Downing the delicious wine, she was given another full glass which she gladly accepted as she tried to ignore the impeding thoughts of Alpha Jiyong. 

 

Minzy ran her hands through her loose curls as she stared at herself in the mirror. She had cleaned up well with her navy sleeveless gown. The upper half sparkled and appeared to fit her curves and loosely fell to the ground allowing comfort for her to move. Pinning some of her hair up and out of her face, she found it comical that she looked so put together when deep down she didn't feel it. She thought it unnecessary for the team, but Beta Seunghyun insisted. Impressed by how she glowed like she was ready for the red carpet, she moved to slip on her high heels and made her way out of her room. 

Walking down the stairs, she grinned as she looked over to Beta Seunghyun. But it soon faded as Alpha Jiyong came to stand next to him. She felt her chest tighten as she came to the bottom of the stairs. "Alright Beta Seunghyun I'm ready to go," she purposely stayed looking only at Beta Seunghyun.

"Minzy...you'll be..." Beta Seunghyun didn't know what to say as he could feel the anger boiling from Alpha Jiyong.

"I'm still a guest until my initiation. We wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea if I ride with anyone else," she purposely phrased it so not to say Alpha Jiyong's name. 

"And what would these ideas be," Alpha Jiyong spoke up not standing for such pettiness. 

Minzy turned as she stared intensely at Alpha Jiyong, "I don't know your ideas of me seem to say that I am repulsive." 

Alpha Jiyong hated that she was constantly testing him, "I never said I was repulsed by you." 

"Then why do you keep running away from me?! Am I that disgusting to you? Am I not good enough to be in your presence?!" Alpha Jiyong felt horribly that his actions seemed to have her thinking that he had thought poorly of her. But it wasn't true, she was doing something to him that he could not put to words just yet. Meanwhile Minzy took his hesitation as the answers to her questions. He is speechless because he is in fact repulsed by me, she thought. She hated how she had thought to comfort him earlier, when he obviously didn't want comfort from the likes of her. Turning her attention back towards Beta Seunghyun she gave him a small grin, "Can we leave already? I want to go before I change my mind." Not waiting for an answer she walked past the pair and exited the front door. Flinching at the sound of loud growls followed by crashing sounds from back in the mansion, she kept her gaze forward. Glad to see a car waiting, she walked down and let the driver open the door for her before stepping in. Taking a seat, she leaned against the door and waited. 

Listening as the other door opened and closed, she was relieved to see it was Beta Seunghyun. "Minzy you must really want me dead. Why are you being this way," he huffed as they took off. 

She shrugged as she stayed staring out the window, "Then don't force me to do things I don't wanna do." She said those words as a cover up when really, she just couldn't handle being humiliated by the fact that not even the Alpha of this new pack wanted her there. 

"I've never seen Alpha Jiyong loose his cool so quickly," Beta Seunghyun frowned as he gazed at the stubborn young woman who gave him a run for his money. As much as he wanted to tell her that her thought process was way off, so was Alpha Jiyong's. It was like he was baby sitting children. Sighing deeply, he knew it was probably for the best that Alpha Jiyong take a nice long sprint into the city to help blow off some steam. 

 

Minzy was fairly impressed by their pack lands city though she had ran through it to escape from who knows where, she didn't really get a good look at it. Unlike her old pack that prided themselves in small town living, this pack appeared to live like humans. It had a couple of a sky scrapers as well as business buildings on every corner. As they entered the city she felt her nerves getting to her as she saw various people walking towards the heart of the city. Some stopped and watched their car drive by and she knew that they sensed her foreign presence. 

"Are you excited," Beta Seunghyun chimed in. 

She shrugged trying to be indifferent when she was feeling an overwhelming feeling of anxiety. "How long do we have to be here?" 

He chuckled as he shook his head, "After your initiation Alpha Jiyong has to open the Lunar Ball. When he makes his rounds at the Lunar Ball we may take our leave." 

Rolling her eyes at the mention of his name, she tried not to let out a sigh of annoyance, "Fine." 

"As Alpha Jiyong makes his rounds we will too. I will be introducing you to prominent members within our community. I would advise that you take notes on who they are and trying to get to know them. They could very well be your allies," beta Seunghyun instructed.

"Or my enemies," she mumbled as they pulled up to a large glass dome building that throngs of people were flooding into. Her mood was ruined for the day no thanks to Alpha Jiyong. She had hoped that she would come to her initiation with a little positivity, but Alpha Jiyong made sure to crush that. Rolling her eyes as her negative vibes pulsed right through her, she braced herself as the car came to a stop.

"Could you be anymore negative," Beta Seunghyun said amused by her enthusiasm. 

She nodded knowing that it had become second nature to react in a such a way, "Maybe I'll just wait in the car." 

Beta Seunghyun was now the one rolling his eyes, as he reached over and yanked on her arm. She yelped as she nearly tumbled out of the car, but was able to plant her feet firmly on the ground. Glaring over at Beta Seunghyun, she was unaware of everyone who had stopped to see the newcomer. The many onlookers had her shrinking back, she wanted to retreat back into the car but Beta Seunghyun had other plans in mind as he smiled warmly down at her. "Let's go have some fun." Frowning as the car sped off, she kept her gaze to the ground as she followed behind Beta Seunghyun. "You don't wanna walk next to me," he gave her a questioning look. 

"I'm still just a guest here. Walking along side you would signify disrespect to the pack," she said through gritted teeth. Grateful that she had an excuse to cower behind him as they entered the building she was relieved that he didn't question her. 

The sound of chatter and loud music filling the air made her chest tighten. Feeling her hands become clammy as she realized the close proximity to everyone, she wasn't so sure she could do this. "Minzy," she heard her name being called. 

Lifting her gaze, she looked to see the familiar face. "Yura," Minzy moved to embrace the old woman who looked so elegant compared to the homely clothing she had grown accustomed to seeing her in. "You look more like lady Yura," she smiled brightly. 

Yura laughed it off as she shook her head, "Nonsense child. Will you accompany me to get a drink?" 

"Gladly," Minzy said forgetting the plan to tag along with Beta Seunghyun. Linking arms with Yura, she was able to gain the courage to walk past all the curious gazes shot her way. "I'm surprised you're here Yura." 

"Why? This is a societal party isn't it, even the old fogies like me are allowed to attend," Yura chuckled.

Minzy smiled as she laughed along with her, "I didn't mean that. I'm just relieved that you're here. I don't think I can do this without you." 

Yura sighed as she patted the young woman's hand on her forearm, "Well that makes the two off us, I'm grateful that you're here too. I haven't been to one of these things in years." 

Minzy was grateful to find the rows of catered tables it looked like a feast prepared to feed a nation. Heading down to the tables that was dedicated to drinks, she was able to pour a drink for Yura and herself. Turning to hand the drink to Yura, she was met by more curious eyes as they all stood looking at her. It wasn't until she felt Yura take the drink out of her hand that she gazed to the older woman with a smile, "Sorry." 

Yura waved it off as she led them away from the crowds, "How about we go and get some fresh air?" 

"I'd like that," Minzy nodded as they walked further into the crowds and towards the apparent exits. It was like everyone knew she wasn't apart of the pack as they cleared the way, keeping a clear distance from them. But Yura was not affected by it as they made their way outside. 

The soft white lights that hung from the pillars made Minzy feel more at ease. Letting out a sigh of relief, they moved away from the loud music and further into the night air. Finding an empty bench, the pair took a seat. Yura raised her glass and smiled brightly over at Minzy, "Here's to us being so brave to come out to this shin dig but finding comfort on the outskirts of the party."

Minzy giggled as she raised her glass and clinked it against Yura's, "Cheers!" Taking a sip from her glass, she liked how Yura threw her arm over her shoulders to pull her in for a comforting side hug. Leaning into her embrace, she stayed looking out at the night sky, "Yura you make me brave." 

Yura sipped at her drink before gazing down at the young woman. She knew she was probably hurting, from what she didn't know, but she wanted to be there for her. "You were already brave before I met you." 

"I wished that were true," Minzy sadly smiled. 

"Minzy I work in the gardens to help heal my mind and soul. Maybe tomorrow as we work we can try to focus on doing that," Yura suggested before she finished her drink. "As for now I hope you enjoy the rest of the party. My old age is getting to me and I feel like it is time for me to start heading home." 

"Yura," Minzy panicked. "You're leaving already," she pouted. "You're not going to stay for the initiation?"

Yura nodded with a smile, "No my dear I must go. I don't need to see the initiation to consider you my family." 

"Yura," Minzy breathed grateful to have such a mother figure like Yura in her life as she embraced her. Waving goodbye before turning her gaze back towards the night sky, she quietly reflected on Yura's words and didn't realize the person that was approaching her.

"Hello Minzy," Taeyang smiled. 

Startled by his sudden appearance, she shattered the glass in her hands. Hissing at the sting of the glass cutting her palm, she shook the remnants from her hand. "You scared me." 

"Here let me help," he smiled as he pulled a handkerchief from his suit pocket and wrapped it around her palm. 

She quickly moved from his grasp as she balled her hand up in a fist, "Thank you." She remembered Alpha Jiyong's actions and words from the other day and didn't want to cause any problems for this guy who only offered to help when she seemed to be finding herself in a clumpsy situation before him.

"What are you doing out here? The party is inside," he smiled. 

She shrugged as she looked over to the building to see Beta Seunghyun staring in her direction. "I..I gotta go." Picking up her dress, she rushed back towards the building to see the fury burning in beta Seunghyun's eyes. "Where is the restrooms," she asked as she showed him her hand that was bleeding. 

"What happened," he growled as he took hold of her wrist to assess her injury. Yanking her hand away, she huffed as she moved into the building gazing around. "Come," beta Seunghyun instructed as he took hold of her grasp again. Charging into the men's room, he growled and every male in there rushed out without a word. Sticking her hand underneath the faucet, he flipped it on before turning his attention back on her, "Who did this?!"

Minzy rolled her eyes as she turned her gaze toward her hand, pulling out a thin piece of glass she sighed, "I did it." 

"Minzy Alpha..." Beta Seunghyun's words were cut off as the door was busted open. 

Gazing back, she was surprised to see Alpha Jiyong. He looked full blown enraged as he was by her side in an instant. Looking down at her hand, he took it out of the water and took a close look at her hand. Seeing that it was clear from any objects, he tossed the bloodied handkerchief and replaced it with a clean one that he gently wrapped around her hand. Tucking it, his gaze softened as he looked into her eyes, "What happened?" 

The concern in his voice made her feel a tinge of guilt for how they had parted ways earlier, "It was an accident." 

Alpha Jiyong did his best to calm his nerves when he had sensed the panic from Beta Seunghyun over Minzy. He had just arrived to the celebration and had no time at all to get situated. Seeing and hearing that she was okay made him settle down just a little as he turned to Beta Seunghyun to find a first aid kit. As Beta Seunghyun exited the restroom, Alpha Jiyong turned his attention back on her. Her wound, though small still pained him as he moved her hand back under the facet. Rubbing soothing circles onto the back side of her hand, he frowned, "Minzy I want you to know that I can never be repulsed by you. I care for you..." 

Amazed to see his compassion, she didn't know how to react, "Then why do you keep running away from me?"

"It's because...," he tried to say, as his heart started to pound but Beta Seunghyun had come in rushing with the first aid kit in hand. 

Slipping out of Alpha Jiyong's grasp, she turned to look at Beta Seunghyun, "I'm sorry for wandering off. I should probably get ready for my initiation." Nodding towards Alpha Jiyong, she asked Beta Seunghyun to show her the dressing room she'd be using. Beta Seunghyun felt conflicted as he gazed from Minzy and to Alpha Jiyong. He had interupted a moment for Alpha Jiyong to explain himself to Minzy. Shaking his head at the immecable timing, he led her to the room she would utilize after her initiation.

Taking a seat in front of her mirror, she frowned being left alone. She feared for the worst of not being accepted and being turned away. Though she had been on an all time low to have considered that, the words of the Alpha instructing her to get better rang in her head. She couldn't give up even if she wanted to.

 

Hearing a soft tap on the door, it startled her out of her seat. It was time for her to take upon this pack name and vow to stay forever loyal. Being loyal to an alpha who was hot tempered, rude and made her feel horrible about herself. All these negative feelings resonated with her as she thought of what would happen if she was rejected by both the pack and the alpha. Opening her dressing room door, she grinned to see Beta Seunghyun match her grin and pivot to guide her to her fate.  

Walking out into the sea of people, she found herself kneeling at the feet of Alpha Jiyong. "Oh great Alpha I have come to seek refuge." 

"Why hast thou chosen our great pack," Alpha Jiyong asked as if part amused and part bored. 

It wasn't a choice, but rather a sacrifice for Youngbae she thought as she looked out in the crowd to spot his look alike. "I haven't chosen thy pack. It is the pack that hast chosen me." 

"And why doest thou thinkest that thou wast chosen," he asked formally. 

"I have little to nothing to offer to such a glorious pack, but myself to stay true and loyal to this pack," she responded the oath weighing heavily on her mind. She had no time to prepare a showcase and hoped that her words would suffice. "If thou wilt have me I will pledge my life to thee and thy pack." 

Alpha Jiyong nodded as he stood, "Are there any objectors to such plea? Please step forward and make your sentiments known." 

"I do your great and noble esteemed Alpha," Dara spoke up as she stepped forward. "She is not of our own and we strictly keep to our own. This is our way, our traditional way of life! We all know what we must do, keep to tradition," she growled as she glared at Minzy. 

"Even by tradition she still can take claim to being a member of our pack," Taeyang spoke up as he too stepped forward. 

"And how might this stranger have the right to take such claim Commander Taeyang," Dara countered. 

Taeyang looked to Alpha Jiyong and then to Minzy who stared at him curiously. She didn't know what he meant either and was curious to find out. Taeyang huffed hating how this was the way things were going to come to light. "She may take such a claim because she is my sister." 

"Sister," people gasped and whispered among each other. Minzy being one to gasp as well, being an only child or at least that was what she had believed.

 

Author's Notes: 

Dang it's interesting going back and reading what I wrote a hot minute ago. As you can see I divided up the Lunar Ball experience in two chapters. Hope you all enjoyed this chapter. Thanks for reading!