16.

The Broken

Dara, Minzy called out to her in her mind. 

Dara was fairly impressed to feel that Minzy was able to block Beta Seunghyun out of the conversation. What?

I have a favor to ask of you.

Dara's lip twitched as she stared out the window of the car. And why do you think you are in such a place to ask for one?

Just think of it as you returning the favor of me saving your life. "Beta Seunghyun I need you to drive faster please. I can't have them move in any further," Minzy spoke up in hopes that he would not clue in on their private conversation. 

Meanwhile Dara bit the corner of her lip as she shivered at the thought of almost crossing to the other side. Fine.

Whatever you do, do not let Beta Seunghyun or Alpha Jiyong intervene with what is about to happen.

And what exactly is happening? 

Minzy was already out of the car before it came to a full stop. She moved to where two lycans stood posted as they curiously eyed her with Beta Seunghyun and Dara trailing right behind. "What is going on," one of the guards asked until there was a hushed silence at the feel of the ground rumbling. 

Everyone's gaze moved out past the pack lands and watched as an army of lycans came stampeding wildly. They all seemed to follow behind a tall man in full armour ready for battle. Exhaling deeply, Minzy stepped forward and held her hand out as if to tell them to stop. "How may we help you," Minzy spoke with power that echoed across the fields and straight to the man who stopped and held his hand up to stay his wild army. 

The man was intrigued to see that they had a greeting party. They had planned to do a surprise attack, but somehow they had been bested. "We have come for your healer." 

"What do you want with our healer," Minzy asked as she felt the curious gazes fall upon her. 

"Our leader demands the presence of your healer," the man's voice boomed as if he was losing what little patience he had. 

"Is your leader Dongwook," Minzy asked causing the lycans that stood with her to gawk in awe. 

The man chuckled darkly, "Yes healer. Come now and we will leave these packlands untouched and unharmed." 

"Don't," Beta Seunghyun breathed softly. 

"I have to," Minzy softly replied. "It is the only way to keep them from destroying what is left of the packlands." 

Dara felt guilty as she fully understood her role at the moment, "She's right. We are in no condition to face them." 

Beta Seunghyun looked between the two women, as if torn on what to do, "What of Alpha Jiyong?" 

"What of everyone else? Can you honestly risk more lives for me," Minzy said sadly. "Let me do this and promise me that you won't let Alpha Jiyong come after me? The packlands need him here." 

Minzy was right by all accounts as Dara spoke up, "We understand, but if there is any trouble you get the hell out of there you hear me?" 

Minzy nodded with a grin as she turned to walk towards the man leading the army. He towered over her and held a presence about him that demanded respect. "Please, if you will," she nodded. 

Meanwhile the leader was quite fascinated by the beauty that had approached him. She was not what he was expecting. Her hair was long and raven black compared to her light soft looking skin. Her cheeks and lips were a rosey soft pink, but it was her eyes that drew him in. They were the color of lavender. They were breath taking as he found it hard to comprehend how she so easily gave into his demands. Clearing his throat, he nodded as he turned around to have the army race away disappointed in the way that they had come from. 

 

Minzy quietly walked in the hindsight of the leader as she found him doing quick checks on her from time to time. "I'm not going to run away," she spoke up, tired of his cautious eyes always gazing back at her. 

"I know," he simply said. This was the first conversation they were having after hours of quietly walking. 

"Then you don't have to keep a constant eye on me," she huffed. 

"What I can't enjoy the beauty of nature surrounding us," he played off his continual checks. 

Minzy rolled her eyes as she picked up her pace to walk along side him, "You can enjoy whatever you like. I just don't like being looked at like the way you keep glancing at me."

"And how exactly am I looking at you," he questioned her. 

She shrugged, "I don't know, like you don't trust me to do what I'd say I do." 

"Can you blame me? I don't know you, yet our leader strictly requests me to lead a band of rogues to retrieve you without any questions asked. What makes you so special," he curiously asked. 

Minzy sighed as she shook her head and grinned, "Believe me, I'm far from special. I'm actually cursed." 

"Aren't we all," the lycan chuckled referring to the original lycan curse. 

"Yes, but I'm more like a plague. People I'm closest to always somehow end up hurt or dead," she sadly revealed.

The man went quiet as he could hear the sincerity in her voice. She truly believed to be the source of pain to the people she cared about. "Then we are more alike than you know. We both destroy anything we touch." Minzy could feel a brief moment of sadness before he blocked it out. "But once the plague has nothing more to feed off of, it will eventually die with everything else." 

"Death is just another doorway to the next part of our lives. Don't be afraid to embrace it," she replied. She could sense that this great warrior had his doubts and maybe even feared what death would bring. 

"Let me guess, you've embraced it," he mocked her. 

"Many times," she answered. "I have lost count with how many times I had wished death upon myself, but the fates and the Gods would not allow me to do so."

"Why would you want death? Why not run away from it all," he suggested. 

"You can't always out run your problems. They will eventually catch up to you when you least expect or want it to," she grinned. 

"Very wise words Healer. Very," he nodded as he stopped in his tracks to hold his fist up hight in the air to have the army come to a stop. "Then let us rest a while to bettter approach our problems that will come tomorrow morning." 

Minzy spotted a large boulder and was able to take a seat and lean against it. "If you say so." She was grateful to be off of her feet as they had travelled nonstop since she had left the pack lands. Quietly she watched as the man in charge swirled his index finger around, which had the lycans circling around Minzy and the leader before planting themselves in place to face towards the center. Minzy didn't mind as she folded her arms over her chest as let out a sigh of relief. Glancing around her eyes met the leader in charge. 

"Don't worry, they won't hurt you," he nodded. he

She could sense their restlessness, but did not feel threatened. "I know." 

"And just so you know, my name is Teddy," he said trying not to sound impressed by her confidence in the rogues. They were known to be loyal first to themselves which was against everything that the lycans believed. "What is your name?" 

"Healer," Minzy spoke seeing no reason to disclose her name to him. She couldn't understand what that would do if she were only going to be delivered to Dongwook.

Teddy chuckled, "Smart young woman."

"And you would be a smart man to not indulge in small talk with me. There is no point in developing a relationship when you are sentencing me to death," she spoke trying her best to gauge her circumstances. 

"You're useless to us dead. I can assure you that we want you alive and well," Teddy said flatly. "Now get some rest. We leave bright and early," he turned to take a look around camp to busy himself. 

Minzy let out a sigh of relief to be out of Teddy's view as she closed her eyes and hoped to try something. Channeling deep within, she thought of Alpha Jiyong. Searching her memories of him, she called out to him. Alpha Jiyong.

Minzy?! Where are you, Alpha Jiyong nearly leapt out of his skin at the sound of her voice echoing in his mind as clear as day. He had left for the day to deal with the buried emotions that Minzy had somehow brought to the surface. Upon returning home he found both Beta Seunghyun and Dara awaiting his arrival. Beta Seunghyun had been feeling too ashamed to look his Alpha in the eyes as Dara told him of what happened. He was enraged and preparing to leave the packlands to find her when she had called out to him. 

Listen to me. I needed you to know that I'm fine and that you are of better use to me if you stay and care for the packlands.

Alpha Jiyong growled in offense that she thought so little of him. Where are you? I'm coming for you.

Listen to me, the pack needs you and your leadership. You can't abandon them. Doing so would probably cost you both the pack and your life. I couldn't bare the thought of being the cause of such a great loss. Please understand I must take care of this alone. The Gods have chosen me for this very assignment and I must carry it out. 

the Gods! I'm not losing you. 

Minzy knew that it was his wolf that she was currently reasoning with as she went quiet trying to think of what to say. Fine.

Fine what, Alpha Jiyong was becoming frustrated that the conversation was one way as if she was controlling it. 

Once I finish this assignment I will return and we can talk about us. 

Alpha Jiyong pressed his lips tightly together as he debated her offer. We need a serious talk. No bull. And I'll give you three days to accomplish this assignment of yours or I will take matters into my own hands and finish it myself. 

Three days and then I will be back to figure out all the bull, she teased. A grin tugged at her lips as she could feel that he was in too serious of a mood to joke around. Cutting communications with him, she took in her surroundings to see Teddy staring at her intently. "What?" 

"How is the boyfriend," he was amused and slightly impressed that she was able to communicate with whoever she was talking to from such a far range. 

"He's not my boyfriend," she mumbled. 

"Oh? Then why was it so important to contact him," Teddy pressed. 

She shrugged, "I don't need people worrying over me."

"Like the Alpha," he assumed it had to be seeing that she was probably a valuable asset to their pack. "Your pack is far too weak to avenge you from the war you started and ended." 

"You speak as though these rogues will stay loyal to you to the end. They will turn their back on you at a moments notice if they feel like it. So don't be so sure when the time comes that they will stay rallied behind you to fight." Seeing the fire flickering in his eyes, she knew she hit a soft spot, "And just so you know I did contact my Alpha to warn him that my life is of no value compared to the pack. I'm willing to sacrifice my life for theirs." 

"Very honorable," Teddy nodded. He couldn't poke fun at her words. They were a slap in the face to what he built in the wild. "But the only thing they honor in the wild is one code. You keep what you kill and Dongwook will certainly kill you for your words." 

"Teddy spare me your scare tactics. I've told you already. I've been been knocking on deaths doors one too many times. I'm ready for the Gods to take me with open arms," she grinned. 

The way she spoke with such ease of death made him feel a bit uncomfortable. The two things he feared most were Dongwook and death and on both accounts she feared neither. "I'm not trying to scare you in any way. I only feel compelled to warn you of your choice of words. Your words sound like fighting words." 

"Take it how you will. I will not filter my words on yours or Dongwook's account," she breathed as she turned away to lay facing the boulder. 

Teddy quietly studied the woman as he felt all gazes fall upon him to await his reaction. Huffing at her hot headed temper, he blew it off as he in turn laid down to rest.