Fourteen

The Broken

Minzy had awoken extra early and left a note for Commander Taeyang that she would be walking to the mansion and walking back. Venturing out while it was still dark, she shifted into her wolf form and slipped a bag of clothing around her neck. Taking long strides out of the city and over the rolling hills, her wolf lept in excitement to be out and about. Running into the woods, she shifted back into her human form and put on her clothing before making her way into the gardens. Grateful to see Yura's bucket of tools, she pulled the clippers and began to clip away. 

 

Snipping away, she grinned at herself for being able to trim about two-thirds of the garden as the sun rose up. Wiping the sweat from her brow, she began to rake up the clippings. "Wow someone got an early start," Alpha Jiyong said walking into the garden. 

Minzy nodded as she pointed in the direction she had not touched, "I left that side for you." 

"So you're not going to help me with it," he asked her as she gathered up the pile and tossed it into a bucket. 

"You need my help? Aren't you a strong and independant man," she teased as she went to pick up the bucket.

But instead Alpha Jiyong had picked it up, "Yes and apparently you're a strong and independant woman. Together we will conquer this garden." 

Minzy scoffed as she shook her head, "Just go dump the bucket and I'll get started on your side." 

"Hey this is a shared responsibility remember," he called over his shoulder. 

Shaking her head, she went about clipping the other bushes when Alpha Jiyong came along side her, "Have you decided on whether you'll be going with Commander Taeyang to visit the grave or not?"

"Less talking and more working," she grumbled when she noticed Alpha Jiyong just standing there. 

"Alright sorry garden master chef," Alpha Jiyong sighed as he picked up the clippers and began to clip the bushes. 

 

Before they knew it there was a comfortable quiet between them as they would sometimes compliment and encourage each other from time to time until finishing up. The two worked to pick up the clippings before alpha Jiyong disposed of the trash. "Good work," Minzy stood gazing about the garden. She knew Yura would be proud of their first day and even more proud that it was all done by the afternoon. 

"Great work," Beta Seunghyun said as he walked out with the servants setting up a picnic table and presenting them with a nicely tossed salad that Beta Seunghyun had prepared for them. 

"Thank you Beta Seunghyun," Minzy clapped her hands delighted as she took a seat. "This looks good." 

"She's being modest, did you know she actually cooks," Alpha Jiyong said suspiciously eyeing Minzy. "She cooks for Commander Taeyang, but not once has she thought to cook for us." 

"Minzy I didn't know you cooked," Beta Seunghyun smiled. "But remember it was hard enough to get her to eat anything in the first place," he suggested to Alpha Jiyong who in turn nodded. 

"I had lost a lot of things, my appetite being one of them," she shrugged at the memories. 

"Well I hope you found your appetite for lunch today," Beta Seunghyun chimed as he made her a plate followed by Alpha Jiyong.

 

Minzy chuckled at the small talk that insued between the three of them. She enjoyed their company, but knew it would probably be best if she didn't indulge in their presence for too long. She still had the curse of putting people's lives in danger when they were near her and she wanted to keep that curse from spreading. Standing to her feet, she eyed Alpha Jiyong who followed her lead in standing, "Are you ready to head out?" 

She nodded as she looked to Beta Seunghyun, "Thank you so much for lunch." 

"Thank you for letting me induldge in a hobby," he politely smiled. "I can't wait for you to try an old recipe tomorrow." 

"I can't wait either," Minzy waved goodbye as Alpha Jiyong followed her out. "What," she looked at him confused. 

"I'm taking you home," he said as if it was obvious.

"Why," she huffed. 

"I told you why, I don't like repeating myself," he waved off her frustration as he made his way to a black mercedes. Groaning as she plopped down into the passenger side, she clicked her seat belt close as she stayed staring out the window. "Good job, now was that so hard," he teased sarcastically as she fumed quietly. 

"Why do you even care what others think of you, you're the Alpha," she mumbled with a sigh. 

"True I don't really care what anyone thinks of me with one exception being you," he said coolly. 

She felt her chest tighten as she gripped onto her seat belt, "Alpha Jiyong..."

"Tell me this Minzy... have you felt it," he asked knowing very well he had to ask before she shut down the conversation. "Have you seen for yourself if I am your mate?" 

She knew the answer instantly, "No, I haven't." 

As much as it pained him finding out that he had a mate that wasn't his Luna, it pained him even more that his mate had yet to recognize him as her mate. "Do you intend to find out?" 

Her gaze dropped to her hands as she thought about, "How can I find a mate when I have yet to find myself? You've seen me at my lowest of lows. Did you see me as your mate then?" Deflecting his difficult question, she hoped he wouldn't pressure her to answer it.

"No," he admitted feeling upset at himself for not knowing instantly. "I will admit that when I first saw you I was drawn to you because I thought it was because I have a soft spot for those who are suffering. But that does not make my realization of who you are to me any less. You're my mate now."

"And what of your deceased Luna? Are you able to really move onto another relationship that is more intense? Becoming mates is literally becoming one, body and soul. Can you really say that you're ready for it," she asked. She already knew the outcome of their relationship if they ever were to pursue one. They would be mates now but he would most definitely regret it later finding a way out and leaving her even more broken than she was now.  

"Do you think I had not considered what you've said," he said slightly offended. "Though I still yearn for my Luna, I feel like being with you is a whole new experience. I loved my Luna but she was not my mate, you are."

"The yearning will never stop and eventually it will become our undoing," she let out a heavy sigh. "So let's just fast forward past all the fights and heartbreak and move on to the part where we pick up the pieces and move on with our lives."

Alpha Jiyong pulled the car over and parked it as he huffed, "Minzy...Minzy look at me." She shook her head as her now tear filled eyes stayed focused out the window. But Alpha Jiyong being the stubborn man that he was, reached over and gently turned her face towards him. When his eyes met those lovely lavender eyes they were a misty lavender as the tears fell from her eyes and she stared up at him. "Who am I?" 

"Alpha Jiyong," she sniffled softly. 

"That's right, I am Alpha Jiyong not your ex-mate. We are two different people and it will do you and me good if you keep that in mind. He chose his own path and I have chosen mine." Sighing as he used the pads of his thumbs to wipe away her stray tears he slightly frowned, "Maybe we're unlucky souls or maybe we lived the lives we did to get to where we are now. I would like to think the later of the two." Pulling her into an embrace he held her against him and felt a little lighter. "Either way something in me tells me that I can't just let you slip through my fingers that easily." 

Leaning into his embrace, she inhaled his fresh fallen rain scent and cried harder. Trembling in his embrace she felt safe and wanted so desperately to believe every word he was saying. But her past taught her other wise as she was at a loss for words. Allowing her to compose herself, he held her hand as they quietly drove the rest of the way back to the Commander's home. Pulling up to the house, Alpha Jiyong shut off his car as he looked over at Minzy who was still sniffling and trying hard to stop crying. Alpha Jiyong reached over to embrace her once again, but she pulled away. 

"Please don't, I'm already hurting enough. Your touch is confusing me even more than I already feel," she mumbled through her crying. Reaching to her mark that was ever so present, she felt like she was dishonoring her memory of Youngbae. It was what she was telling herself as she remembered how being marked was something for life. Youngbae had marked her yet Alpha Jiyong was also wanting to mark her and claim her as a mate. Having two marks was unheard of and down right distasteful in her eyes. "I know you've lost your Luna but I lost my mate. You don't get it. He was my body and soul, then he left." Looking down at her trembling hands she shook her head, "I'm nothing but an empty shell. I have nothing to give. I am nothing to give and it is hard enough for me to accept it without your delusions of me."

Her words hurt him more than an out right rejection. Though her body was recovering her soul had yet to find its way back to her, "The only delusional one is you. Whether you want to believe it or not I am your mate and the more I say it the more I know it is true." 

Minzy started to have a throbbing headache with all the crying, insecurities and especially all the feelings Alpha Jiyong was pouring on her. It felt like she was falling down an endless pit of darkness. "The truth is that I can't right now. Please understand," she weakly begged. Grateful that he had gone quiet, she took the opportunity to exit the car. Folding her arms over her chest, she made her way into the house and quietly made her way to her room hoping that Commander Taeyang had not noticed.

But the knock at her door had her stiffen as she found it hard to stop crying. She felt so weak and so helpless as her eyes continue to leak. "Minzy, can I come in?" She sat upon the bed as she stayed quiet hoping he would leave. "I'm going to come in okay," he breathed through the door as he slowly opened the door to see her sitting upon her bed crying her eyes out as she stared down at her hands. His chest tightened with fury as he thought of Alpha Jiyong and knew he had to be the cause of this. Slowly making his way over to her, he cautiously sat down next to her and stayed quiet as she continue to cry. His gaze fell to her hands that were catching the tear drops from her eyes. They were pooling in the palm of her hands and it was just too hard for him to sit by and do nothing Turning to her, he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her against him. Holding her tightly to him, he felt her tremble as she cried hard against him. Rubbing soothing circles onto her back he held back his rage to seek out Alpha Jiyong for causing her so much pain.

 

Minzy awoke to see the image of Youngbae sitting next to her bed holding her hand. She thought back to the first of many restless nights when they had moved into the human city life. It was hard parting from everyone, but especially her parents. She had missed them and to help sooth her yearning for them, Youngbae would bring his work by the bed side and sit next to her reminding her that she still had him and would always have him by her side. Grinning at the memories, she lightly squeezed his hand to feel him hold her hand tighter as Youngbae shifted in his sitting position asleep.

Though she knew he wasn't really Youngbae, she had a hard time separating the two as she lay still. The fact that she had felt instantly connected to him and found comfort in his presence only proved just how strong her connection was to Youngbae. Though their bond was broken and they were now separate beings, she still couldn't separate from the memories and feelings they had built that was deeper than romantic feelings. They were feelings of trust and compassion, somethinng that Taeyang had been so kind to do for her as he stay with her without any question. He stayed and supported her without any question even after she had fallen asleep. Staying by her side like the family she had missed would do. 

Slipping her hand out of his grasp, she watched as he slowly opened his eyes to see the hazel eyes that confirmed the physical difference of her ex-mate and Taeyang. Tucking her hand under her head, she grinned over at him as he yon. "How did you sleep?" 

"Well enough," she breathed before pushing herself to sit up. "Thanks for staying with me." 

"That's what family is for," he grinned. "Should I make us some breakfast?"

"No thank you, I have to get to the gardens sooner than later," she shook her head.

"You're going to the gardens after the day you had yesterday? Maybe you should call in or something," he suggested. 

"Maybe you can drop me off? This way I can get there and have the energy to work," she hoped he would understand. 

He groaned feeling pretty exhausted from the lack of sleep, "Fine let me get ready." 

"Alright thank you, I'll get ready too," she said as she patted his shoulder when she had walked past him to hear him groan with a plea to change her mind. Closing her eyes as the hot water steamed against her body, she mentally tried to prepare for the day. "Just don't cry again," she breathed to herself. Running her hands through her hair she kept telling herself over and over again. "Don't cry," she said already exhausted from all the crying she had done last night.  

 

Minzy was confused as Commander Taeyang had parked his car and had hopped out. Coming around to open the door for her, she eyed him suspiciously, "What are you doing?" 

"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm coming to help out for a little bit," he shrugged knowing alpha Jiyong could sense his presence. 

When they had walked into the garden Minzy was impressed to see Alpha Jiyong already hard at work at pulling weeds. Gazing up at the two, alpha Jiyong moved to stand as he nodded over to the bucket. "I've already pulled most of the weeds." Turning his gaze to Commander Taeyang he knew why he was there, "Let's talk Commander." 

"Let's," Commander Taeyang huffed as he clenched his fists. 

Alpha Jiyong walked past the pair and Minzy took hold of Commander Taeyang, "You don't have to talk to him."

"Minzy it's my responsibility to make sure he treats my sister right," Commander Taeyang said sternly as he followed suit. Minzy frowned as she shook her head and reached for gloves as she went about pulling weeds. 

 

Minzy had long forgotten the two as she filled her bucket. Reaching the filled bucket she moved to take it to the bin. Holding onto the heavy bucket, she tossed the remnants into the garbage. Grinning as Beta Seunghyun came to her side and asked if she would come for a walk with him. Nodding, she had finished the work in the garden and didn't have any plans. "Sure." 

"Minzy you know that I consider you as a friend right," he grinned over at her as they walked down the dirt path into the forest. 

"I'm glad because I see you as one too," she grinned feeling comfortable with walking along side him. 

"As a friend I want you to know that I only want what's in your best interest," he started as she stayed quiet for him to continue. "It is none of my business of what is going on between you and Alpha Jiyong, but I want you to know if you ever need to talk about it I am here." 

She scoffed, "Are you trying to be his spy or something?" 

"No," he chuckled. "He actually doesn't like me around you. He doesn't say it, but I can feel it. It's almost like he's jealous of our relationship," he shrugged. "But that is beside the point. I wanted you to know that you can talk to me and most importantly," he stopped in his tracks and turned to face her. Taking her by the shoulders he looked her square in the eyes, "Don't you ever say you have nothing to give. Do you hear me? You may feel like nothing, but you're someone to me. You're my friend and I intend to make sure you know that I am here for you."

The look in his eyes told her that he meant every word. She had grown to value her time with Beta Seunghyun and even had considered him as her friend. Though she thought it was one sided, he had let her know that it actually went both ways. He cared for her as much as she had cared for him as she leapt into his arms. She was touched as she clung onto him tightly. Breathing a soft thank you, she heard the waters of Nivea as she pulled away to notice where they were. "Minzy I would encourage you to let these waters not only heal you physically but let it heal your soul." Gazing over to him, she was met with a soft smile and nod, "Don't worry I'll prepare clothing for you. Now go, you need this." Turning, Beta Seunghyun waved as he left her alone at the waters. 

Biting the corner of her lip, she seemed to find herself needing the healing powers of Nivea. "The Gods find favor in you Minzy," a woman's voice filled the air as she looked to see the angelic blonde woman from days ago standing on the other side of the waters. 

"What is so valuable about my life," Minzy shrugged at her insecurities as she folded her arms over her chest. 

"It is not my place to say, seeing as you still have the ability to choose how your life turns out," the young woman said vaguely hinting to some possibility that she had yet to foresee in her future. 

She sighed as she looked down at the waters, "So what is it that I should choose?" 

The woman in white moved towards her and smiled, "You know the answer to that question." 

Rolling her eyes, her thoughts led to Alpha Jiyong, "The Gods want me to choose to be with Alpha Jiyong?"

"Minzy this has nothing to do with Alpha Jiyong, though I would say that he would help you reach your full potential in this life. I am talking about you."

"You want me to choose me," Minzy asked as if not understanding.

The woman's smile spread wider as she wiggled her eyebrows and extended her palms out to the waters as a source of energy bolted out and struck the waters to make them glow. In awe, Minzy looked from the waters back at the mystical woman. "Either you can choose to enter these waters like Beta Seunghyun had encouraged or you can turn and walk away from it all."

"What would I be walking away from," she asked as the soft glow beckoned her to come and try.

"Choose Minzy, this gift comes with great responsibility," the woman spoke as if there was an urgency to it. "Your window is closing, you need to choose now." Minzy nervously panicked until she thought of the words of her friend. Let it heal your soul...you need this. Unsure exactly what to do, she hesitantly started to move towards the waters, watching as it started to glow even brighter. "Minzy," the woman called after her, having her turn back to look at her. "Don't be afraid to embrace the gift as well as the man that will help you develop it." Those were the words the woman said as she gave Minzy a soft shove and letting her fall back into the water.

Being fully submerged by the waters, she began to sink further and further into the water but she didn't fear it. Instead she embraced the endless sinking as her gaze became fixated on the man that floated towards her. Her heart was ready to burst as Youngbae's crystal blue eyes shinned with recognition. Reaching out to feel his face, he was really there. 

"Minzy I found her," His voice echoed in her mind. 

"I knew you would," her voice cracked with emotion even in her mind. 

"Will you do me a favor," he looked at her with pleading eyes.

"Anything..."

"Let me go. Let me be a distant memory so that you too can find what I have, he almost begged as if he knew she had been punishing herself. Brushing his hand over her mark his heart ached for her. As he swam towards her, he embraced her and allowed his lips to brush against her mark that began to throb at the feel of the person who had given it to her. I will always be by your side and when your time comes I will be one of the first people along with your parents to greet you with open arms on the other side. The tears and emotions were pouring out of her as if the dam had broken as she clung onto him for dear life. I wanted to return something to you. He reluctantly pulled away so that she could see what he was giving her. Her gaze looked to the light radiating from the palm of his hand and he held it up before her to see. Let your light back in and be the light for others. Guiding the light towards her chest, she gasped as she felt the electricity surge through her body and the light was absorbed into herself. She was pulsing with some source of energy and could've sworn as was glowing. Until we see each other again..." he gave her a knowing smile as she felt like a current had pulled her away and she went spiraling further and further down into the darkness as she looked to see the the surface getting further and further away. 

Spinning in circles she couldn't understand how she was not drowning or needing air to breathe. Sinking further into the darkness, she felt and heard the water all around her but didn't fear it. Suddenly a little light flickered and her attention was drawn to the light. Curious as it grew brighter and moved towards her, it had intrigued her as it floated before her now a large orb like a miniature sun she thought. Without a thought she reached out and touched it and suddenly it began to crack and then it bursted into millions of little star like lights that showered all around her. She was amazed at how she felt every little spark dance across her skin, igniting a flame within. The little stars swirled all around her and she grinned as she let it consume her whole until all that she saw and felt was light. 

 

 

Minzy arose out of the light and back into reality. Opening her eyes she took in the room. Odd to find herself laying in the room she was assigned to from the Night Walkers, she wondered what was happening. Had she dreamt it all? She felt different. She felt new as she reached up to let her fingers trail her mark to find that it was no longer there. That confused her even more as she made her way into the bathroom to flip on the light and see that in fact the scar and her mark were completely gone without a trace. Bracing herself against the sink she couldn't understand what was happening until she heard a scream of bloody murder echoing in the mansion followed by explosions and loud rumbling. "What the ," she breathed as she turned to find out what was going on. Opening her door, she was confused by all the guards lined up around her door dressed as if they were ready for war. They all looked at her wide eyed as if they were looking at a ghost. 

"She's awake," one breathed before another loud explosion sounded with more screams of bloody murder rang through the halls. 

Looking at the soldiers, she took hold of one of them and felt the fear, the pain of being shot all from protecting her door but why? Shaking her head, she went to rip off his armour, ignoring the growls from the man to see the bloody dressing on his chest. Pulling the useless thing off, she winced at the gaping wound and moved her hand out to touch it. But the man's hand caught hers out of fear as he begged her not to touch it. "Trust me," she pulled her hand away as she moved it to the wound. She let her finger tips press into his wound and she felt his pain on her chest. Pressing the palm of her hand against his open wound, she closed her eyes and absorbed it. Flinching as she relived him being shot and gazing down at her chest. The pain lasted for a few moments before it was gone. Exhaling deeply, she removed her hand and the wound was gone and so was the pain. Everyone that saw including the man she had just healed stared at her in disbelief as she then took in what she had just done. Trembling at the fact that she didn't know she could do such a thing, another man pointed to her shirt to see blood had seeped through. Moving the shirt she watched as the gun shot wound healed right before everyone's eyes. 

"What the happened to you Minzy," one of them mumbled in fear. As amazing as it was to see her work such a miracle it was still scary to see it done right before their eyes. 

"What do you mean," Minzy looked to the man. He was a past schoolmate but she couldn't remember his name for the life of her. "What is going on? Why are you all dressed this way and trying to protect my door?" 

"We're at war with the Crimson Crawlers," another spoke up. "We've been at war for months now!"

"We've been at war for months? Why," she looked at all of them.

They all looked at each other unsure if they should say when the man she had healed moved up to her, "You are the reason for this war." 

Minzy had drowned out their pleas to get back to her room and stay sheltered. The only thing she heard was the quiet of the waters as she made her way through the mess of baracades and rubble. Everyone she passed all appeared to have a look of disbelief like the men who guarded her room. Entering the grand hall, she noticed the various leaders of the Night Walkers arguing over different strategies on how to push the war back onto the Crimson Crawler's territory. Quietly making her way in, she bit the corner of her lip as she noticed the face of the man that stared off in deep thought. 

Alpha Daesung she called out to him. 

His eyes snapped into her direction as he quickly came to his feet silencing the crowd as everyone followed his gaze. "Out," Alpha Daesung simply said to which everyone was quickly shuffling past her in awe. Is this a dream?

It feels like it, she shrugged as she moved towards him. Coming to the man before her, she grinned and was startled as she was gathered in his arms, "You're awake." Holding her in his arms he felt the weight of the stress of the war being lifted off of him. Meanwhile Minzy held onto him and felt all the stress and pressure he had been under. But it was the stress of the guilt he felt of not taking matters into his own hands sooner than later when it came to her. 

"Don't worry yourself over me. You were doing what was best," she softly spoke as she pulled away. 

"Did I," he frowned as he stared at the woman who he seemed forever indebted to. Holding his hands in hers, she sent him a comforting energy that made him jolt in surprise, "Minzy?" 

"He came to me in my dreams and told me that he was always by my side," she paused as she thought of Youngbae. "He told me to let go and now I have," she softly said as she released his hands. 

Turning to leave she was grateful she was able to see Alpha Daesung again. "Where are you going," he called after her. 

"To end the war," she called over her shoulder as she moved past all the leaders who stumbled back in amazement by her powerful aura. 

 

 

Author's Notes:

Hey hey, this chapter is where things begin to shift for Minzy and Alpha Jiyong. Hope you enjoyed the update. I will try and get the next update up soon. Thanks for reading!