27.

The Broken

Minzy was grateful to have the day to herself to figure the lay of the land. She had solely trusted Beta Teddy to guide her in the right path, but being able to learn things hands on gave her more of a perspective on things. Thanking the last lycan that had requested to be seen, she made her way back to her room to flop onto her bed. She was exhausted, but it was a good exhaustion. One where she felt like she had accomplished a lot today. Feeling proud of herself, she subconsciously readied herself to call out to Alpha Jiyong. But the doubt and confusion that followed prevented her from following through. Rolling in her covers she ignored her wolf who wanted to reach out to him, she sighed hoping that sleep would over come her. 

 

Who was she kidding, she thought as she picked up her speed. Sleep wasn't on her side tonight as she found herself in her lycan form circling laps around the forbidden city and around the dessert planes. Rushing up to the rocky dessert cliffs that over looked the city, she found herself standing and looking in the direction of the Crimson Crawler packlands. Resisting the urges to call out to him, she turned away and raced herself back into the forbidden city. Slowing her pace as she neared the mansion, the feeling of restlessness began to fade. Nodding to the few maids who seemed to have waited up for her, she made her way to her bathroom where a nice bath was drawn for her. Grateful for such a pleasant surprise, she shifted back into her human form and slipped right into the lovely waters of Nivea. 

 

Minzy awoke to the sun light that peeked through the windows. Slowly coming to she found herself still lying in her bath. Figuring she was just exhausted, she hopped out of the tub and flung on a robe. Exiting the bathroom, she was greeted with her maids who bowed and had brought her a cart full of breakfast. "You all must want to join me for breakfast for I fear that you've made me too much again," she frowned. 

"You deserve the best of what we have," one maid spoke up.

"Then give me your best in quality not quantity. We don't have room to waste when there are more and more lycans who have been coming to our city. We must perserve for our people's sake," Minzy looked at the maids who bowed their heads in respect and understanding. "Now after breakfast I need to look over some agendas that were sent here so that I may plan my next trip." 

 

Minzy had chosen the agenda that appeared to be most urgent and had her maids send out a response to the Moon Howler pack that she would accept their invitation in a few days time in recieving the letter she was writing them back. Finishing through the various agendas, she asked a few of her maids to come and take a turn about the city with her. She wanted to see for herself the strain the city was facing with the influx of people coming in. 

Nodding to the people that bowed to her in respect, she grinned seeing the various children running around. The thought of being care free from life responsibilities was something to envy. One child was bold enough to walk into her path and stare up at her, "You're pretty." 

The little girl blushed as she swung her hands behind her back and gazed to the ground, "Thank you. I think you're very pretty too." 

"I know you must be very busy, but can I ask you something," the little child smiled up at her as the maids looked as if their patience was wearing thin. Minzy nodded as the girl became aware of the maids who stared at her intensly. "My brother dared me to come and speak to you because he doesn't believe that I could get your attention."

Minzy chuckled as she knelt down by the little girl, "Well you have my attention right now. What can I help you with?" 

"My father is sick...ever since my mommy died he's never been the same. Can you help him," the girl asked. 

"Your father has been like that since you guys came to the city," a maid spoke up. 

"And," Minzy gave the maid a sharp look as a warning. Softening her gaze back to the little girl who now gazed at the ground, she tilted the little girl's gaze back into her eyes. "Let's go see your father shall we?" 

The little girl grinned as she nodded vigorously and took hold of Minzy's hand to guide her to her home. It was a small and simple home as Minzy paused before they entered. She looked at her maids and asked them to stay outside before entering. "Jinwoo look who I brought home," the young girl called out as she still held onto Minzy's hand. 

"Don't tell me you brought home another one of your brat friends," he mumbled as he shuffled towards the front to gawk at Minzy holding his sister's hand. "Queen..." he squeaked in shock as he deeply bowed. "It's a pleasant surprise to meet you in person." 

"My little friend here says you didn't think she could meet me? Why would you say such a thing to her," Minzy asked as she raised an eyebrow at him. 

He coughed a laugh in embarassment, "I apologize, seeing as we come from nothing. I just thought..."

"I came from nothing," Minzy eyed him as if it was not an excuse. "Where is your father?" 

"He's...he's resting," Jinwoo looked worried. 

"I would like to see him," Minzy demanded reading right through his lie. 

"I'll take you to him," the young girl said as she moved past her worried older brother. Escorting Minzy to a door, the little girl knocked before opening the door to reveal their father sitting by the window staring out at with a blank stare. "Father, the Queen is here to see you," the little girl said as she walked over to her father to not recieve a response. She turned to look up at Minzy, "It's been so long since I've heard my father's voice." 

Minzy understood as she came around to block his view. Kneeling down before the older gentleman, she looked at his glazed over eyes. They appeared lost in some kind of time loop. A time loop that she was all too familiar with. "Your father can't seem to see past his grief," she said as she took his hand in hers. Transporting herself in to his mind as she moved past his vacant his and into his mind she stumbled upon a weeping man who knelt by the bed side of a woman who had just passed on to the other side. Kneeling down by the man, she gazed upon the woman he wept over. She was a beauty even as she passed. "I know you miss her, but your children need you," she softly spoke up to announce her presence. "You have a piece of her not only in your memories, but your children are the beautiful gifts she left in your charge. You both created beautiful souls that need you so be strong." 

He sniffled as he tried to calm himself enough to talk, "I'm not strong without her." 

"Then it's time to learn how to be, because your way of missing her is hurting your family. You've been mourning her loss for years..."

"For years? It feels like she just left," he gazed over to her with deep sadness in his eyes. 

She sighed softly as she looked at the woman he grieved over, "You know a very special girl came to seek me out. She looks just like the beautiful woman you weep over." 

"Are you speaking of my baby girl Suhyun? How could she seek you out? She's just a baby," he asked her confused.

Minzy placed a hand upon his shoulder, "Be strong and see the similarities of your growing children to your beautiful wife." Standing on her feet, she stood extending her hand out to him expectedly, "It's time." 

"But..." he was unsure if he could really leave his wife's side. 

"I demand you as the Queen of the dessert lands to stand along side with me and see what you've missed these past few years," Minzy's voice spoke with authority. The authority that he could not deny as he hesitantly took hold of her hand and walked away and into the light of reality. Opening her eyes, she grinned seeing that his eyes were filled with confusion. Standing to her feet she nodded for the girl to make her way over, "Come Suhyun and show your father how much you've grown." 

Suhyun rushed over to her father's side as he mumbled her name. This made the girl cry as she flung herself into her father's arms, "Father! Thank you for coming back to me!" 

Allowing the two privacy, Minzy made her way towards the door to find Jinwoo. Grinning at him, he bowed his head in respect, "You've been so strong for them. Now I need you to be even stronger in helping your father get reacquainted with reality." 

"Jinwoo..." his father called out. 

But Jinwoo stood at the doorway trembling as he shook his head, "I don't know if I can be strong." 

"You already are," Minzy grinned as she walked past him and back out into the streets where she was met with her maids. 

 

Minzy awoke while it was still dark out. It had been three days now since she had last reached out to Alpha Jiyong and she would soon be taking her leave to the Moon Howler pack soon. Since being on the dessert lands she was grateful to be consumed with taking care of those within the Forbidden City and making her own way around with Beta Teddy away. But even though she was keeping herself busy, her wolf and her conscious continue to weigh heavy on her mind. Reach out! Don't break your promise! Shifting into her wolf form, she took long strides out to the dessert planes. This was the only time she would allow herself to deal with the dilemma she was currently facing. Rushing up to the dessert cliffs, she gazed towards the direction of where her problems lay. 

"Can't sleep," Beta Teddy spoke up as he came to stand along side her. 

Trying not to be startled by his sudden appearance, she stared out a moment longer before turning, "Welcome back. Are you well enough to take the lead again?" 

"As well as can be expected," he sadly grinned. "Thank you for allowing me time to grieve." 

"I'm sorry that I couldn't give you more time. I should be getting ready to leave soon. I must meet the Moon Howlers at the Crimson Crawler borders by tomorrow night," she said with a small smile. 

"Your strength and powers amaze me," he grinned proudly. "You're the only lycan I know that can make that journey in such a short amount of time." 

"It's a curse that I'm trying to use as a blessing towards others," she shrugged. "After my morning run, we can discuss what has been happening during your absence and then I will take my leave." 

"Understood," he bowed before she went racing off. 

 

Minzy ran with her bag thrown over herself thanks to the maids who had secured it against her before she dashed out of the city. She was running at a steady speed and now with the moon high in the sky, she felt as though it was giving her strength to take longer strides. Her speed made her feel like she was flying as the winds brushed against her thick fur. Surprisingly she felt one with nature, her wolf, and herself. It had been so long since she had felt that way. Could it have been before Youngbae? Amazed that it had been that long, she ran to the music of her heart beat. Racing herself and getting to the Crimson Crawler borders sooner than she expected. Slowing her pace to a trott to the guards, she nodded as they nodded to recognize a fellow pack member. 

"I would like to shift. Is there a place I can change," she asked. 

"There's a restroom in the check point a few minutes in," the guard pointed to the building that wasn't too far away. 

Thanking the guards, she rushed off towards the check point asking the guard there if she could utilize the restroom. Without question the guard allowed her into the small building and guided her to the restroom area. Closing the door, she shifted and began to put on her clothes. Slipping on her light blue jeans and black sheer top, she was slipping on her tennis shoes as the door was jammed open. There standing in the door way was Alpha Jiyong with his eyes pitch black in rage, something she had never seen before. It was fascinating to see, but anyone could sense just how furious he was by his dark demeanor. Alpha Jiyong slammed the door shut, nearly breaking it before he turned his hard gaze upon her. Taking slow and calculated steps towards her, she could tell he was trying his best to reign in his frustration. Stopping to where he was now face to face with her, his towering height only made him seem much more intimidating. She stood quietly awaiting what he would do, to him yanking her wrist roughly up in the air and with the other hand ripping open his shirt to place her palm against his mark. Minzy would be lying if she didn't admit that touching the mark put her a little more at ease. But it seemed to affect Alpha Jiyong more as he whimpered and crumbled to his knees. Gazing up at her, his eyes faded back to the tantalizing brown starry eyes she knew and admired as his eyes.

"Do you intent to make me suffer," he asked her with pain in his voice. 

"No," she softly breathed as she looked away ashamed at what pain she was causing him. 

"Are you punishing me for unscenting you," he followed his question with another. "I honestly didn't know that was possible. But having you here and smelling you...you just smell familiar to me. And I promise you that wasn't my intention. Are you mad at me for that?" 

"No," she shook her head, as she kept her gaze fixated on anywhere but him. 

"Then what? Why haven't I heard your voice for four days and a half," he asked confused by it all. 

Forcing her hand away from its comfortable position against his chest, she balled her hand up and took courage to gaze back into his eyes. "The mark won't fade if I keep in contact with you. Like I've said before, you're not thinking straight..." 

"I'm not thinking straight?! My thinking is as clear as day! This is the most clear I've ever been in my life," he snapped as he stood back up to face off with her. 

Minzy stood her ground as she gave him a stern look, "I'm not convinced until your mark is gone. When it's gone then you can speak for yourself." 

"You're a cruel woman," he growled.

"I'm an experienced one," she said firmly. "It's going to be a rude awakening when the mark is gone," she said as she pushed past him. Folding her arms over her chest, she quickly walked to the border to see Beta Seunghyun and Commander Dara standing there as if they had not heard the entire conversation. "Are they here yet," she mumbled as she looked out as if seeking the answer to their question. 

"Yes they should be arriving shortly," Beta Seunghyun nodded. 

"Good to see you too," Commander Dara scoffed. 

"Are you sure it's good to see me? I just keep causing so many issues for the pack," she said sadly.      

"You've never been an issue. Your circumstances just have been pretty ty," Commander Dara shrugged to which Beta Seunghyun nodded. "But not as ty as you are being towards Alpha Jiyong," she added and Beta Seunghyun stood shell shocked at Dara's bold words. "Alpha Jiyong doesn't want to admit it but..." 

"Dara," Beta Seunghyun growled with warning. "Keep out of their business!"

"No please, enlighten us Dara," Alpha Jiyong said as he walked up to the group. "Please try and tell Minzy what I haven't been telling her!" 

"Don't get loud with her, she's only trying to help your case," Minzy turned to scold Alpha Jiyong. "Just be mad at me." 

He coughed a laugh as he shook his head, "You would like that wouldn't you? Be mad at you. Push you away. Let your mark fade. Yeah?" She stayed quiet knowing that was exactly what she wanted to happen. "Fine, I'll play your game and when the mark fades you'll see nothing will change." 

As much as she wished it were true, she didn't argue. He was saying exactly what she wanted to hear and the Moon Howlers were close by. Maybe it was better this way to have him upset with her. It was part of the process of letting her go, she convinced herself as she smiled at the Moon Howlers that approached them.