22.

The Broken

The weight of Chaerin's words carried her back to the forbidden city to see Beta Teddy rushing to her side. He had been worried sick and ready to give her a scolding, but her demeanor had him stepping back to take a better look at her, "Is everything okay?" 

"They will be," she said hoping to believe in her words. 

"I have to go back to the packlands," she sighed as she wiped at her eyes as they walked into the mansion. 

"Why? What's wrong," Beta Teddy could sense there was something she wasn't telling him. 

Walking into her room, she tossed on a cloak as she asked a maid to prepare her a pouche of Nivea waters. When the room was cleared for the two to continue their conversation, she turned to look him right in the eyes. "I'm handing you the throne. You are now the leader of the dessert lycans..." 

"What?! It doesn't work like that," he snapped. "The only way one can take lead is if the head dies of old age or is bested in combat to the death. You are too young and I refuse to combat you to the death," he growled in frustration. 

Minzy sighed heavily with understanding, "Well then...I guess I will leave you in charge while I'm gone." 

"How long will you be gone? Dongwook was only gone for the longest a few weeks before returning to establish his place," Beta Teddy warned. "I would recommend the same amount of time for you." 

Minzy nodded in understanding, "I will be back in a few weeks then. But if I'm needed sooner than later please send for me and I will come." 

Beta Teddy felt a little uneasy as she was hinting to leaving alone, "Can I send a few lycans with you on your journey?" 

But that was where she drew the line, "No, there is no need. I would rather have the loyal lycans stay by your side to keep you safe." Thanking the maid that brought her the pouch as requested, she turned and wrapped her arms around Beta Teddy. Hugging him tightly she hoped his strength would rub off on her. "Take care." 

Beta Teddy on the other hand stiffened at the sudden affection, "Uh...yes. Safe travels." Escorting her out past the forbidden city walls, he pressed his lips tighty together as he watched his leader walk out towards the packlands. 

 

Minzy's wolf whined and complained about wanting to be let out. It'll be faster to get to our mate! Let us out! 

"We'll get there soon enough," she waved off her wolf as she continue to walk through the dessert planes. Clutching the sling of her pouch, she thought of her conversation with the blond angel named Chaerin. She was such a beauty and held an aura of strength about her. She couldn't fully understand how she was chosen out of many other lycans to hold such high regaurds in the eyes of the Gods. Her life was pitiful yes, but what more? What qualities did she possess that made the Gods like her? Shaking the thoughts, she noticed a crowd of lycans migrating in her direction. Maybe the group had not caught wind that the fight for consideration was discontinued. Or maybe they were just wanting to join the ranks of the dessert lycans. Whichever the case, she was going to keep her head down and quietly move past them. 

Trying to stick to her plan, she flung the hood of her cloak over her head and kept her head down. But the group appeared to all come to a stop when they had crossed paths. Gazing up at the crowd that had come face to face with her, she felt a familiarity with them. "Princess," a little girl pranced forward as she peeked up through the hood. "Princess is that you," little Jennie smiled brightly as she instantly recognized Minzy's face. "It is you! We've found you," Jennie clapped her hands together in delight. 

"We," Minzy asked suspiciously as she uncloaked her face to look up at everyone and noticed that it was a group of Crimson Crawlers. 

"Yes, we've come in search for you," Bom said as she stepped foward to stand next to her daughter. "We've heard rumors of your special powers and hoped that you would consider us." 

"We are of the same pack, there is nothing to consider," Minzy smiled warmly as she extended a hand out to Bom. 

It was then that Minzy noticed the obvious limp as Bom gritted her teeth to move and take Minzy's hand. Instantaneously flashes of Bom's memories came swirling in her mind. 

Bom had lost hope in her humble home as she stood guard over her daughter who hid behind her. The Night Walkers had invaded their packlands and were currently ruining her home. One lycan in particular took notice of the young Jennie and wanted to get a taste of such innocence. But Bom quickly shifted and growled at the male lycan to warn him off which only made him want little Jennie more as he tried to advance. Bom quickly pounced on the lycan as she clawed and fought him with all her might. Howling as the lycan slashed through her hind leg and then tore a chunk out, she still continue to fight. Clawing at his throat and sinking her fangs into his neck and slicing right through. The other lycans rummaging through her house were now leaping in to fight her. Tearing chunk after chunk from her gushing wound. The loss of blood had her light headed but she stayd vailantly fighting with every fiber in her bone. Knocking a lycan to the ground and the other charging to ram into the wall. Gratefully Crimson Crawler warriors came to aid her in chasing them away. Heaving as she made her way back to her weeping daughter, she fell at little Jennie's feet telling her not to cry and that everything would be okay. 

Eventually everything was okay, but she had never healed properly as each step felt like her bones were colliding and scraping against one another. Though Alpha Jiyong had advised her other wise, she hoped that maybe Minzy could help her. 

Gripping Bom's hand tighter, Minzy felt every claw and tare through her body that Bom had felt. Trembling as the bone crushing movements of her deformed leg, it was like her body was self correcting as it began to crackle and pop as if reseting. Bom gasped as the pain in her leg was no longer there. Releasing Minzy's hand, she turned to her daughter and miraculously walked with ease to pick up her daughter. Swinging the now giggling little Jennie in her arms, the tears of joy sprung from her eyes. "Thank you so much," Bom breathed as she gazed over at Minzy with a heart full of gratitude. 

 

It was dark by the time Minzy had fully healed everyone in the group that had sought her help. She had gone none stop helping each one and in doing so she had felt the strain of all the healing take it's toll on her. Though she had the powers of the Gods, her body was still mortal. It was stronger than a regular human, but still not immune to not being affected by all the healing she did. "I must apologize, but I would like to take a rest for a little while. It has been a long day," she grinned to the now healthy and full of energy bunch. 

Jennie walked over and took hold of Minzy's hand, "Great my turn!" Jennie led Minzy through the crowd and towards a small tent. Leading her inside, she revealed a small cot with a pillow. "We worked hard to put this together. I know you must be tired so I made sure you had a nice pillow to lay your pretty princess head on." 

Minzy was touched by such a sweet notion, "You guys really didn't have to. I can sleep on the ground." 

"You are a princess and princesses don't sleep on the ground," Jennie said sternly as she walked Minzy over to the cot and nodded for her to get on. Giving Minzy a motherly warning look, Minzy finally gave in as she sat down. "Drink some water and get some rest. We will keep watch over you as you sleep princess," Jennie fluffed up the pillow and waited for Minzy to follow her instructions. 

Chuckling at the stubborn little girl, she took a large gulp of the refreshing water and laid down, "Thank you." 

The flap of the tent opened as Bom peeked her head in, "Rest well princess." Winking at Minzy as she allowed her daughter space to exit, Minzy chuckled as she let her heavy eye lids close. 

 

Minzy sat on her front porch steps staring up at the countless stars that dotted the night skies. She couldn't help to think they were all shinining down on her as her mother handed her an ice tea and moving her chair to sit behind Minzy. Gripping the cool cup, she leaned her back onto her mother's legs as she grinned at the feel of her mother's fingers running through her hair. The gentle massage of her scalp was pure bliss as she stayed fixated on the scene above. Such a simple moment of peace was soon filled with longing. Longing that was felt deep within her as her mother kept running her fingers through Minzy's hair. The tears that fell shamelessly from her eyes as the stars twinkled, she grinned as her mother's arms wrapped securely around her. "Wake up Minzy. Wake up..." 

Minzy's eyes slowly opened as her mother's voice turned to a little girl's, Jennie's to be exact. As the sleep washed from her eyes, she noticed Jennie crouched near her wide eyed as she held her index finger to her lips. Nodding in understanding, Minzy slowly sat up and sensed danger outside of her tent. Closing her eyes, it felt as though there was a group twice as large surrounding the group of Crimson Crawlers that stood around her tent with Bom being the spokesperson. "Please leave," Bom tried to be as polite as possible. 

"We demand to see this healer that everyone is talking about," a young man said with spite. 

MInzy knew that if she waited any longer there would be a fight. Turning to Jennie she grinned, "Stay here okay?" The little girl nodded as Minzy turned to exit the tent. Revealing herself to the angry mob, she felt familarity to this group as well. They were most likely lycans of the Night Walker pack, she figured as she walked out to stand along side Bom. "Why have you sought me out," Minzy looked out at the crowd. 

"Murderer!" 

"Evil!"

"Selfish," people shouted out from different directions. 

As the spiteful names were tossed at her, the young man who so boldly took the lead of this group stepped forward. "I heard that the Gods blessed you with the ability to heal, but you refused to heal my brother and let him die. He was the only family I had left and you took that from me," he growled as the crowd growled to add to the building tension. 

"Show me who your brother is," Minzy said as she extended her hand out to him.

Gripping her hand tightly, he allowed flashes of his memories fill her mind. Closing her eyes to focus on the young man's brother's face, she remembered exactly who he was talking about and in turn filled his mind with what had happened. His brother was bleeding out and wanting to die as a war hero rather than be good for nothing drunk of a brother. This was the most honorable thing he could do to be a better example to his brother Bobby. He hoped that Bobby would one day understand that this was the best way he could make it up to him. Bobby released Minzy's hand as his eyes filled with tears and he bowed his head and turned to leave. This left the angry mob now confused and bewildered by the sudden shift of their supposed leader. But that didn't deter the angry woman who took hold of Minzy's shoulder to glare in her eyes, "You killed my son!" Flashes of the woman crying over her lifeless son filled Minzy's mind before she was yanked another way.

"You let my husband die a slow and painful death," another woman growled. 

Minzy was being pulled and yanked around like a rag doll as various memories and feelings filled her mind. It was becoming overwhelming as she could not stop seeing everything that filling her mind with everyone touching her. She was drowning in their memories as she let out a loud roar that echoed and blasted them to fall down on their knees. Gasping as she tried to catch a breath, she noticed the dessert lycans who stood with Beta Teddy at the head. He howled and barked ferociously as the lycans came sprinting in. But Minzy held her hand out to stay them to which they all came to a halt but still glaring with the fangs out and ready to attack. Looking back at the angry mob who all sat in amazement and fear, she sighed, "I may be a healer but it is up to the individual to chose whether or not to accept."

"Why wouldn't someone want to be healed," the first one who had grabbed her snapped in disgust. 

Bobby stood on his feet to face the woman, "It is none of our business but the individual in question. Leave it in the past and move on!"

The woman gazed at Bobby in disbelief, "I can't!" Pointing at Minzy she growled, "This is all your fault." 

The dessert lycans growled and snapped their jaws at the woman who dared to disrespect Minzy in front of them. "Unintentionally yes it may be. But your life is your own. You choose your own way. But I must warn you. I am the leader of the dessert lands and I do not take kindly to your rudeness on my lands. Unless you want to challenge me I suggest you all make your way back to your packlands." 

Bobby sighed as he reached his hand out to help the angry woman up on her feet, "Let us go, she is right. There is nothing we can do about the past." 

"Send my best reguards to your Alpha Daesung, he is my brother after all," Minzy did well to remind them of their place compared to her. 

This made Bobby stiffen as he sadly looked in her direction, "I will take full responsibility of the actions today. Please understand it was not out of disrespect but out of pain and loss." 

"I understand, now go," Minzy said firmly causing the ground to tremble. 

The lycans quickly shifted and raced off as Minzy walked over to meet Beta Teddy who stared at her curiously, "Are you ready to come back?" 

"My journey has just begun," she shook her head.

"Minzy be careful, you may have more than just healing powers. The way you were able to handle that group all alone has struck some fear in the dessert lycan eyes. I can sense it," he said concerned. 

"Alright," she nodded. She too was a little concerned by what she had just done without even trying. "The next few weeks start now because I've seen you as well as some of the dessert lycans," she quickly changed the subject before she gazed over at the dessert lycans. "Thank you all for your assistance. I will be taking a short leave and Beta Teddy will be in charge while I'm away. Take heed to his words for I will back him up one hundered perect," she warned. "Now go about your way and live like a free dessert lycan should," she dismissed them to which most of them took off while a handful stayed with Beta Teddy. "See you in a few weeks," she winked at Beta Teddy before she turned to see little Jennie peeking out from the tent. Grinning, she waved for her to come out.

Little Jennie ran up to Minzy and took her hand as they walked towards the pack lands, "Wow I was wrong. You're not a princess."

"I told you I wasn't a princess," Minzy chuckled as they kept walking.

Little Jennie glanced back at Beta Teddy who stood watching with the other lycans fixated on Minzy, "You're a queen, not a princess!"

Minzy bursted out in laughter as she shook her head, "You have such a wild imagination." 

"It's not my imagination, it's the truth," little Jennie said as she began to skip alongside Minzy. 

 

Minzy enjoyed the presence of her fellow Crimson Crawlers, especially Bom and Jennie. They seemed to treat her somewhat normal engaging in the conversation of Jennie's dream of owning her own restaurant to make such delicious food for all to eat. "After we rebuild our home of course," Bom reminded her daughter as if they had a conversation about this dream already. 

"I know," little Jennie huffed. 

"You know, Commander Taeyang's home is now my home since he is no longer with the pack. Maybe you guys can stay with me for the time being. It's a big home and even Jennie could have her own room..."

"I've always wanted my own room," Jennie gawked in disbelief as she turned to her mother. "Please mom! Let's stay with queen Minzy," Jennie begged.

Minzy laughed, "I'm not a queen." 

Jennie brushed off Minzy's comment as she continue to hassle her mother while everyone started to set up camp for the night, "Please mom let's do it."

Bom chuckled at her insistant daughter, "I'll think about it. Minzy and I will talk more about it later as for now let's get some rest for our travels tomorrow." 

"I hope you know I'm not going to sleep in the tent. I am just fine sleeping outside with everyone else," Minzy warned the group as they continue to set up camp. 

"Are you afraid to sleep alone," little Jennie asked with a small smile. "Mommy says that whenever I feel afraid of being alone I should place my hand over my heart. Try it," Jennie said as she placed her hand over her heart. "You feel that," Jennie smiled brightly as Minzy nodded at the feel of her heart beating. "That's your heart telling you that it's there for you, working hard to keep you alive." Minzy hummed in understanding. "Be as strong as every beat of your heart." 

"I will try," Minzy mumbled as she felt the way her heart thumped softly under the palm of her hand. 

"Don't try, just do okay," little Jennie smiled as she ushered Minzy into the tent. 

"Easier said than done little one," Minzy grinned as she helped Jennie set up the cot. "You know, maybe you should try out the cot. It's a little uncomfortable for me. Try resting on it for a little while and you'll see what I mean." 

"Really," Jennie scrunched her face as she hopped on and laid on the cot. "This feels uncomfortable to you?" 

Minzy shrugged, "Test it out for a while and you'll see what I mean." Gazing down at the young girl, she smiled, "You have to close your eyes and actually try to rest to see what I mean." 

Little Jennie eyed the woman as she cautiously closed her eyes, "Okay..." 

It didn't take long before Jennie was fast asleep, allowing Minzy her victorious exit. Gazing at the lycans that sat around a fire, Bom smirked, "Smart woman." 

"Jennie must be exhausted from all her hard work," Minzy shrugged. 

"My little Jennie is such a hard worker and a believer as well. She was the one who convinced us to seek you out," Bom said as she made room for Minzy to take a seat next to her in front of the fire. "I don't think I would've believed in your powers without experiencing what I did," others nodded to agree. 

"I'm grateful to share such intimate experiences with all of you," Minzy said as she looked around seeing and feeling different emotions that she had felt from them. 

Bom placed a hand upon Minzy's and gave it a comforting squeeze, "I can't speak for everyone, but I'm grateful that there is someone that has walked along side me through a pivotal moment in my life that should have changed me forever. And it is a blessing I can never repay." 

Taking Bom's hand in hers, Minzy smiled, "The blessing is not meant to be repaid but meant to be as a gift. You get a taste of the bitter cup of what life may throw at you, without fully embracing the consequences of them. Use this gift to make the best of what life has to offer you." The lycans nodded as Minzy sighed. "I thank you all for allowing me to sit and converse with you all, but I would like to turn in for the night." 

"Will you be resting in the tent," Bom asked ready to go and retrieve her daughter. 

But Minzy raised her hand to stop her, "No, I would like to sleep under the stars tonight." 

"Then allow us to at least circle about you as you rest," Bom said as everyone were up and on their feet awaiting where Minzy would position herself. 

"No need to move on my account. I will just sleep right outside the tent since it is already at the center of the camp," Minzy said politely as she excused herself. Wrapping her cloak around herself as a make shift bed and blanket, she lay next to the tent as she stared up at the countless stars staring back at her. Grinning at such a beautiful sight, she was easily carried off into the dream world. 

 

As the group neared the packlands, they noticed lycans aligning the borders. The odd part of it all was that it was groups from different packs that proudly had their banners and lycans flocking to their different groups. Some of the packs, Minzy had only heard of through textbooks in her lycan education seeing as some of the packs lived on the other side of the world. But even if it was a sight to behold, Minzy's protective instincts took over as she tugged the young girl who had been skipped along side her behind herself like a shield. Mindlinking the group to stay aware of their surroundings, she continue to trek forward with the others tightly hugging in to keep eyes fully aware of every direction around them. It was like a hushed silence fell upon the hords of lycans as if their focus was on them. Soon smaller groups from each section broke off and moved to meet Minzy and the Crimson Crawlers. 

"Hello you must be the Queen of the dessert lycans, Healer like the Godess Nivea, first sworn unborn Crimson Crawler, and sacrifical lamb of the Night Walker pack," a woman with shiny gold armor spoke up as she stared right at Minzy. 

"Minzy will do just fine," Minzy offered with a small smile. 

"Minzy, my name is Amber Beta to Alpha Siwon of the Eclipse pack and I like many other lycans have trevelled a great distance to speak with you."

"Let my pack members pass peacefully and we can discuss whater you like..."

Suddenly a horn and drums beat the sound of the Crimson Crawlers. Beta Seunghyun stood at the head of the group of warriors leading the group towards the current discussion taking place. "Alpha Jiyong has graciously opened up the borders for leaders of each pack to come and discuss your concerns." 

The various groups appeared to quietly discuss the proposal before the Amber lycan spoke up, "We come in peace and accept such a gracious offer." The other lycans soon followed suit in agreeing to the arrangement. 

"The meeting will take place tomorrow early afternoon," some people began to grumble that Beta Seunghyun was giving terms after everyone had just agreed. "Minzy and our other pack members have travelled a great deal to return home and deserve at least the night to recollect themselves." No one could argue such a request knowing just how hard the journey was to reach the dessert lands. 

"Tomorrow it is," Amber gazed towards Minzy and bowed deeply as a sign of respect. It caused a ripple affect with all lycans following suit as they bowed their heads in respect as Minzy along with the group she had travelled with followed Beta Seunghyun and his warriors back on Crimson Crawler land.