Eight

The Broken

Minzy cupped his face in disbelief, "Youngbae?" 

"Youngbae," the man's eyes lit with familiarity as he placed a hand onto hers. 

Gazing into his eyes, the hazel color reminded her of the truth of her situation. Her ex-mate had crystal blue eyes, compared to his. Youngbae had died in her arms months ago, that memory will forever be etched into the depths of her shattered soul. She had witnessed first hand, Youngbae taking his last breath as his spirit was released to the other side. She had let him go and knew this had to be some kind of punishment she had to suffer for what she had put Youngbae through. Reluctantly moving her hand away, she shook her head, "I...I'm sorry. Youngbae died in my arms. You can't be him." 

"I'm sorry to hear," he said offering her a crooked grin that was identical to Youngbae's. It made her shiver as she stood to her feet to which this familiar stranger did the same still facing her. 

"I better get going," she shrugged wanting to leave the man who reminded her of what she was currently repenting for. 

"Wait," the man said as he placed a coat over her shoulders. Placing a comforting arm around her, he smiled down apologetically, "I'm sorry for almost drowning you." 

Inwardly she felt like she was talking to Youngbae, "I'm sorry for causing you an inconvenience." 

"You are no inconvenience," he smiled as he still held a strong arm over her shoulders. 

It was so odd and yet comforting to feel the warmth of a man that was identical to her ex-mate. It was as if her ex-mate was granted a second chance at living and she knew he deserved it. He deserved better than the sad hand that he was dealt. Being forced to be with someone because it was part of nature when his heart yearned for someone else.

Caught up in her thoughts, she was brought back to reality as he asked for her name. Biting the corner of her lip she was unsure if she wanted to tell him. Not for the fear of him knowing, but for the fear of hearing her name fall from his lips. She feared it would trigger the emptiness to over take her once more. But decided it was only polite to give him her name. "It's Minzy," she softly spoke in hopes that he didn't hear it. 

"Minzy what a beautiful name," the stranger said making her shiver as he sounded like Youngbae when she had first met him. "My name is Taeyang." 

"Taeyang nice to meet you," she grinned as she slipped from his grasp. She had heard that name before, but she could not remember why it sounded so familiar. Shrugging the thought, she tried to convince herself that Taeyang was not Youngbae and vice versa. Peeling the coat away, she stopped as he tried to reach out and stop her. 

"Please, it is the least I can do," his gentleman like gesture being just like Youngbae. 

All the comparisons were becoming overwhelming as she stepped back, "Okay, well thank you Taeyang. Have a good night." Turning to take her leave, she was shaken as he called after her to have a good night. Telling herself that he wasn't Youngbae, she folded her arms over her chest and kept her gaze to the ground. Following the dirt path, she was surprised as the coat was ripped off of her. 

"Whose is this," Alpha Jiyong growled furious by the scent of another male wolf all over her. 

"I..." she was at a loss for words. Seeing the fury in Alpha Jiyong's eyes over a coat was a little much, "Someone gave it to me?" She said in a question, unsure how to gauge the furious Alpha. 

Alpha Jiyong gripped the material tightly as his wolf raged at the thought of another male wolf attempting to stake claim on her, "Why would they give this to you?!" His wolf could not bare the thought of someone tainting her beauty. Eyeing her barely there mark on her neck had him feeling conflicted as well. 

Beta Seunghyun came rushing out sensing the distress of the Alpha, "What is going on?" 

Minzy shrugged, "I...don't know?" 

"What do you mean you don't know?!" Lifting the shredded material up as proof of her error, he glared down at her, "You accepted a coat from a stranger!" 

Minzy thought the Alpha's reaction and conclusion was ridiculous, "You've got to be kidding me, that stranger danger bull is for children." 

Beta Seunghyun couldn't agree more with Minzy, but the fury in the Alpha's eyes told him to take caution, "Please excuse us Alpha. I will explain to her the meaning of your frustration." 

"I don't need you to explain my actions," Alpha Jiyong growled.

"Actually he does, I have no idea why you are upset. I'm sorry that I accepted a coat from someone, but I figured since I'm going to be a pack member I might as well start making friends," though her response wasn't completely true it had crossed her mind as she tried to convince herself of Taeyang not being her ex-mate. 

Even though Minzy's explanation made perfect sense, it still did not please him either, "So your way of making friends is throwing yourself at them?" Alpha Jiyong knew he had crossed the line as soon as the words left his lips. 

"Excuse me," she scoffed in disbelief. "Did you just insinuate that I'm some kind of ," she growled. 

Beta Seunghyun could sense that Alpha Jiyong was regretting his words as he reached out to take Minzy's wrist, "How about we call it a night..."

But Minzy was not having it as she yanked her hand free and marched right up to the Alpha, "You may be the leader, but your assumptions of me are far from true. I may have loved someone who was in love with someone else, but I didn't know. So don't peg me as a when you don't know the full story." Touching her mark, she held her head high, "I've always stayed true to him." 

Seeing how her eyes glowed a bright lavender, he stood in awe at its sparkle. Alpha Jiyong's wolf did flips as her energy was solely focused on him. He couldn't understand why he was delighted that her attention was focused on him, even though she was grilling him for his harsh words. Seeing her pivot and leave him in the dust, it was then that he was able to breathe normally. Noticing Beta Seunghyun fixated on him, Alpha Jiyong sighed as he nodded for him to follow. Beta Seunghyun nodded as Alpha Jiyong looked down at the ripped material in his hands. He had never been one to act so rash. He was calm and calculated he tried to convince himself as he stood staring in the direction of the person who had contridicted the facade he put on. 

Minzy marched into her room and slammed the door shut. Locking the door, she plopped onto the bed with her arms over her chest. She certainly felt like a little child now. It was like she was being placed on time out for something he assumed she had done. Shaking her head angrily, she could take his rude actions of ripping the coat, but his words were too much. She was not a , she gritted her teeth. Hearing a soft knock on the door she didn't want to hear Beta Seunghyun try to explain Alpha Jiyong's actions. "Go away!" 

"Minzy please open the door," Beta Seunghyun called softly. 

"No," she huffed knowing very well he could unlock it or even break it down if he really wanted to. 

"Minzy please, Alpha Jiyong's actions and words were uncalled for," he said through the door surprising her. 

She was up on her feet, flinging the door open to see Beta Seunghyun frowning, "What did you just say?" 

"I'm saying, I'm sorry that Alpha Jiyong spoke to you that way. You didn't deserve such a reaction from him," he sighed. "I can't speak for him, but I know that he means well." 

"Calling me a does not mean well," Minzy shook her head as she turned to make her way into the closet. Gazing through the various dresses, she frowned, "Well if he doesn't want me to be a , he should provide me with other clothing." 

"Minzy you're not a . I don't know what Alpha Jiyong is getting at. I just know that he is confused and hurting. The last woman that he cared for died..."

"That's him showing that he cares for me," she coughed a laugh as she made her way to the bathroom. "It seems to be a trend for Alpha's to not know how to speak to people," she shook her head.

Beta Seunghyun pressed his lips tightly together. He was trying to hint at his suspicions of the Alpha caring for Minzy unknowingly in a different manner, but knew it would only make matters worse. "I'll talk to him." 

"Please do," she huffed as she flipped on the water.

Nodding Beta Seunghyun tried to deflect her anger elsewhere, "In the mean time, please try to get some rest for your big day tomorrow."

Minzy had totally forgotten about the initation and the Lunar Ball, "Oh..." 

"Your initiation will open the Lunar Ball," he instructed. "I have your gowns picked out."

"Gowns," she looked at him concerned.

"Yes, one for your initiation and one for the Lunar Ball," he said. 

Rolling her eyes, she felt it unnecessary, "One gown will do just fine."

"It's too late. The team will be here early in the afternoon to get you ready..."

"Wait," Minzy held her hands up trying to wrap her head around the information beta Seunghyun was throwing her way. "Team? No, Beta Seunghyun that is completely unnecessary." 

"The Alpha insisted and we of course made sure it was accomplished," the Beta said. 

"He is just as unnecessary as the team," she grumbled, still frustrated by Alpha Jiyong. 

If it were anyone else, Beta Seunghyun would have been down their throat. But Minzy was a special case, he found it difficult to admonish her when she spoke poorly towards the Alpha. It didn't help that she spoke with good reason, seeing as he was the one cleaning up after the Alpha when it came to her. "Please try to relax and get some rest tonight. You have a big day tomorrow," he grinned before taking his leave. Sighing deeply, she stripped from her clothing and descended down in her hot bath. Relaxing into the tub, she grew nervous about tomorrow. 

 

Sleep.

Huffing as she sat up in bed, it was the last thing she could do as she pulled the covers off of herself. Letting her bare feet hit the cool ground, she looked over to the window and looked to see the moon. It was almost full, signifying what was to come that night. Frowning at the events that would take place later on today, she was uncertain if she should follow through. Obviously it was the only logical thing to do if she ever sought to feel safe outside of the mansion walls. She posed a threat to the packlands if she did not take the oath. Pushing her lazy body up onto her feet, she shuffled to the window and opened it. The gust of wind blowing in sent a slight shiver down her spine. Grinning at the fresh air that entered the room, she climbed onto the window seal and let her feet dangle out the window. Gazing up to the moon and twinkling stars, she yelped as she felt arms swooping at her midsection and pulling her back inside with ease. 

"Where are you going," Alpha Jiyong breathed concerned to find her half way out of the window. He held her against him hoping that she would understand that her leaving concerned him as well as his wolf.

Scoffing in disbelief, she pushed out of the Alpha's arms, "I'm escaping to go and around of course." 

His wolf growled at the thought of any man putting his hands on her, "That's not funny."

"Isn't that what you think I do," she asked as she shrugged and made her way back onto her bed. Plopping down, she folded her arms over her chest, "What? Please tell me why you're here so I can get back to around." She couldn't understand why she was huffing like a child, but he seemed to bring that side out of her. 

Alpha Jiyong was furious already that his wolf had nagged him to be there, he didn't need her to add to it as he turned away to look at the opened window. Walking up to it, he closed it as he stared out trying to grasp his thoughts, "I don't think you're a . I know you are far from that, which is why I hope my fellow pack male wolves will treat you with the dignity and respect you deserve." She stayed quiet as she thought on his words. "We keep to our own and if we show affection to guests on our pack lands we are going against our way of life. When we choose to do so we are saying that we are willing to betray our own for our own selfish resons. So I apologize that I said those false and hurtful things to you. It was not you. I'm just sorely disappointed in the wolf who made those intentions towards you is all." Though his explantion was reasonable and true, it was not his truth and his wolf was frustrated by it. 

Reflecting on the severity of the situation, she now understood why he reacted the way he did, "I see...but I can tell you that no intentions of a pursuit for me was made. It is all a misunderstanding. I'm just a clumpsy mermaid." 

Her choice of words amused him as he grinned to himself as he called over his shoulder, "And I'm a hot headed aqua man." 

Grinning at his teasing manner, she figured this was his way of apologizing, "Since you seem like a level headed aqua man at the moment, maybe you can reconsider changing my initiation date for another time?"

"What," he huffed as he turned to look at her offended that she was wanting to suddenly back out. "It's happening."

She held her hands up hoping he would understand, "Look, it's Lunar Ball and I don't want to ruin it for anyone. My initiation is not that special." 

Infuriated by her words, he thought an initiation was far more important, "You are a special case. It's happening and that's final!" Shaking his head, he gazed over to the window and pointed at it before looking over at her, "And if you think on escaping I will bolt that window shut!" 

"Why am I so special? That doesn't make sense," she growled hating how he was living up to the name of hot tempered.

Avoiding her question he shook his head, "It's happening whether you like it or not!" Taking the final say, he stormed off leaving her amazed that he was so hot and cold with her. 

 

Minzy had refused to eat breakfast, telling the maids that she was refusing to eat lunch as well. She had no appetite as she slipped into a rosey dress that did not match her mood and walked out into the garden. Rolling her hair up in a bun, she grinned and waved at Yura. "Good morning," Minzy smiled.

"Dear what are you doing out here? Aren't you supposed to be preparing for your big day today," Yura said surprised as she sat her bucket down. 

Minzy shrugged it off, knowing that she had some time seeing as the team would be there in the afternoon, "I got time." 

Yura shrugged as she gave Minzy a pair of large sharp scissors, "Okay then today I want you to be my flower girl." 

"Flower girl? Are you getting married," Minzy chuckled.

Yura laughed as she shook her head, "My dear that time has come and gone long ago. No, I want you to put together a bouquet for the dining table and for the Alpha's bedroom." 

The smile faded as she stared at Yura in disbelief, "Huh?" 

Yura nodded, "I want you to put together two lovely bouquets. I usually do it, but I am far too exhausted to do so today. Will you do it for me?" 

"And what are you going to do," she asked suspiciously.

"I'm going to take a turn about the garden to inspect all the flowers. I bought two vases," Yura reached into her bucket to retreive the vases. Handing them to Minzy she smiled warmly, "I know you'll make me proud. After you do that, you're free to get ready for tonight." 

Minzy huffed as she shook her head and looked at the garden. There were a vast amount of choices, but she didn't know where to start. Thinking about yesterday, she remembered being instructed to sing to the flowers and that they listened. She figured she would sing to herself and hopefully flowers would speak out to her that they were the one. Walking around the flower garden, she hummed a tune as she thought to pick the dining room flowers first. As she hummed, her attention was quickly caught by the lovely white roses that appeared to dance to the cool breeze that brushed by as if they were hoping to be picked. Nodding to herself, she placed the vase onto the ground and began to clip white roses to fill the vase. Impressed by the overflowing bouquet. She walked to place the onto the ledge of the fountain as she found herself looking for flowers for the alpha's room. Rolling her eyes at the fact that she was doing something that would be considered a nice gesture, she found it difficult to pick. Walking around, she grew annoyed that she had yet to find a perfect type of flower to fit into the alpha's room. Confused by her thinking, she stopped in her tracks and frowned. Why would the flowers need to be perfect? Besides his looks, he seemed far from it. Sighing at her indecisiveness, she tried to clear her mind of any bias thoughts and tried to hum a tune. Thinking of her father's song, she let the music carry her to a lovely bunch of white lillies. Shrugging at her urge to pick white flowers, she shook the thought as she clipped away and filled the vase. When it was completely full, she made her way to the fountain to see Yura looking at the vase of white roses. 

"I'm impressed with your choices," Yura turned to see the white lillies. She felt a small tug at her heart seeing the flowers, "Which vase will go where?" 

"The roses are for the dining room and the lillies for the Alpha," Minzy shrugged.

"Interesting choices," Yura smiled. "Alright take some water from the foutain to add into the vases and then take them in so that you can prepare for tonight." 

Minzy sighed deeply as she sat onto the fountain, "Do I have to?" 

Yura tilted her chin to look up at her, "Yes dear tonight is very important for you." Minzy felt a bit ashamed that she was questioning her responsiblities as she gave Yura a quick nod and began to scoop water into the vases. Filling them, she waved to Yura who called after her as she took her leave.

Taking the white roses into the mansion, she asked the maid to show her to the dining room. High ceilings and modern was the best way to describe it as she walked into the dining room where a long table sat. Placing the bouquet onto the center of it, she grinned seeing how timeless the roses made the room feel. Thanking the maid, she walked back to the garden to retrieve the second vase and frowned. She didn't want to see Alpha Jiyong, he was such a hot head and in turn made her react the same way. Looking down at the lillies they gave her some courage to consider maybe that they would help even his temper since it seemed to work on her. Entering back into the mansion, she asked to be led to the Alpha's quarters. Without question, the maid led her to his room. Leading her to two tall double doors that went from the floor to ceiling, the doors were opened and she was surprised at how it looked. She thought that maybe he would have a flashy modern room like the dining room or even something extravagant and royal holding the title of Alpha. But instead it was simple and elegant. She considered placing it onto the coffee table, but noticed the papers on a desk. It looked like it was the place that he spent most of his time and figured what better place to put it. Placing the vase on the corner of the desk, she grinned knowing the natural light that would shine through the windows would only have him appreciating the flowers more. 

Turning to take her leave, she was caught off guard coming face to face with Alpha Jiyong. "Minzy," he breathed as if confused but happy to see her. His sudden appearance had her almost losing her footing as he caught her and held her in place. "Is everything okay," he asked with concern. 

His hold was strong yet gentle as she slowly pulled away, "Yeah, I'm sorry." She couldn't understand why she was always finding herself apologizing to him but yet here she was doing it all over again.

"Have you been in the garden," he asked as he noticed a petal sticking out of her bun. Reaching up to pull the flower petal out, he had also pulled on her hair tie. This had her hair cascading down and the next thing he knew a soft breeze came whisking into the room. It was then that he noticed the lovely bouquet of white lillies. His heart was heavy as he looked from the flowers to the beautiful woman with lavender eyes standing before him. "How did you know?" 

Minzy didn't understand his question, "What did I know?" 

Reaching past her, she could smell his heavenly rain musk scent as he pulled a lilly from the vase, "These were her favorite." 

Looking at the flower that he twirled in between his fingers, she grinned as she thought about Yura's words, "That's wonderful." Gazing up at the hot headed man, his eyes glistened as the last rays of sunlight streaked in revealing the pain of missing his loved one. She had never seen such vulnerablility from him as she reached out to place her hands upon his. Watching as those starry eyes gazed upon her, she wanted nothing more than to make them twinkle. "Maybe it's a sign that she wants you to be happy." 

Minzy's words struck a cord in him as he looked deep into those lavender eyes and something happened. A gust of wind came swirling in, brushing past Minzy and hitting him fully with her scent. She smelt exactly like her eyes of beautiful lavender. It was intoxicating and oh so tempting as his wolf howled. Quickly pulling away, he couldn't understand what was happening to his senses as his mouth began to water, his heart started to pound, and his palms began to sweat. His body was going haywire and he couldn't think straight. It didn't help that at the same time her mark was always visible as if reminding him that she was the forbidden fruit. He was falling apart right in front of a soon to be pack member. Not wanting to show any sign of weakness he went bolting for the door. Though his intentions were to be strong, instead it left Minzy feeling horrible.

Did she read him wrong? Was her words too painful for him to accept? Shaking her head, she scolded herself for trying to comfort an Alpha who doesn't want to be comforted by the likes of her. 

 

Author's Notes: 

Welp now ya know that it wasn't her ex-mate just someone that looks like him. And the tension continues to build between Minzy and Jiyong with poor Beta Seunghyun in the middle of it all haha. Hope you enjoyed the update! Have a blessed day/night! Until the next update...