One

The Broken

The night was a little too quiet for her liking as she paced back and forth. Where is he, Minzy thought as she looked at the time. He was late, like really late and he had never been this late before. The moon was high in the sky and her mark burned on the right crook of her neck. Her wolf whimpered in annoyance that something was wrong and she couldn't help to feel the same way. "I know Amethyst. Just be patient," she said more so to herself. Shaking her head out of frustration, she made a mental note to talk to him about his late work hours. Talking. Scoffing at the thought, she corrected herself knowing it wasn't going to be talking but rather an arguement. Playing out their arguements as of late it would start with the excuse that work was getting overwhelmingly harder and in turn she would try to talk things out with him. But instead he would brush off her help and tell her that she was part of the problem. A problem that increased over the last few months that made her worry.

Mindlessly letting her fingers play with the cool metal band that was on her finger, she gazed down at the promise that had her bound. It was a symbol, a materialistic reminder of the promise she made to him. It was a human tradition that she thought was really endearing when he explained it to her. It was basically the human version of marking someone. Through the good times and bad, she repeated his words, even though the bad times just seemed to keep getting worse with each passing day. Trying to grasp on to any happy moment and reasons of holding true to the promise all seemed to be in vain as she thought of her arguement with him last night. He had told her that she was too much and that he didn't need to argue all day at work to come home and argue all night. It was something she could actually agree with him about as she sighed as looked to see the streets were empty and still no sign of him. 

The quiet night of anticipation had her itching to be out, especially her wolf. She wanted to search out this man she was waiting for. Tell him that she wholeheartedly agreed and hoped that maybe tonight would be different. Maybe she could convince him to stay and find out what was really bothering him. Nodding to herself as her wolf wholeheartedly agreed, she stood at the window and continue to wait. Wait. Wait...and wait, yet still there was nothing. Coming to a stand still, she clenched her fists as her wolf begged to be let out. Let us go find him, her wolf barked.

"We can't risk that," she breathed as kept her eyes trained down the street. "Remeber we are living among the humans." The thought still irked her as she gazed around at the four walls that she had yet to call home. Alone and isolated in the human world she waited for the one she had left her whole world for to see that he still was not coming. Growling at what had become the sad routine of her now pathetic life, she doubted herself as her fingers ghosted along her mark. Her wolf howled feeling neglected as well. It was all becoming too much for her as she made her way to the front door. Throwing on a sweater she made her way out of the house and decided to walk out her frustrations. Letting out a sigh of relief as she smelt the crisp fresh air, she made her way to find him. Shivering with excitement to be out late at night, it had been so long since she had a night stroll. The last one she could remember was with the man in question. Rolling her eyes at another thing to add to the list of things to talk to him about, she picked up her pace. 

 

Before she knew it she was standing at the large office building, thinking of how a few years ago she had been standing there with him excited for his new career and new adventure they would embark on. Pushing the thoughts aside, she walked in and was greeted by the front desk receptionist Lee Hayi. She had fiery red hair and a pale complexion, she always seemed to be a little on edge like meeting people gave her anxiety. But that didn't stop her from doing such a great job. "Hi Lee Hayi, is my husband in?"

"Uh...he...he's busy right now," Lee Hayi said anxiously as she rose to her feet. "Maybe try again later," she offered nervously.

"Lee Hayi it's after midnight, why are you still here," she eyed her suspiciously. "You should go home and rest. I can lock up." 

"I...I..." she was completely tongue tied. 

Shaking her head at this poor over worked girl, she helped usher her out the doors before locking it and waving to her to go. Seeing her hesitation, she waved letting Lee Hayi know it was fine before turning to head for the elevators. Pressing the button to the top floor, she wondered why her husband would make Lee Hayi work such long and late hours. Exiting as the doors opened, she made her way towards the large double doors. Nearing the door, her thoughts were silenced and her movements became slow. All her senses heightened as she touched the metal handle of the door. 

The man in question sat with a woman straddling his lap. She had her arms draped over his shoulders as she pressed her chest into his opened dress shirt. To which he was all too happy to oblige as he held her by her hips and worked his lips so effortless against hers. Traitor, she found herself calling out to him in her mind. 

Turning to take her leave, she heard the wrestling of him throwing that woman off of him as if trying to chase after her to explain. But she wasn't going to give him a chance as she raced down the stair cases. Busting through the doors she had locked minutes ago, she didn't care that she had shattered the glass as she broke out into a dead sprint. Her heart was pounding so loud that she could hear nothing else. But she didn't mind, she didn't want to hear anything as she pushed herself to run harder. Her wolf wanted to take over as she ran alongside her, I'm a much better sprinter! 

"But you'll make a scene," Minzy growled as she pushed herself even more. It was a given fact that in the wolf form a lycan's senses as well as strength was strongest. Racing past the house that was never a home, she kept running into the nearby woods. Narrowing her gaze, she was ready to give into her wolf until she felt a sudden force come upon her.

Minzy went tumbling into the cool dirt as she was pinned with either of her arms to her sides as her so called cheating husband stared down at her with a hard look. "Minzy," he growled as she struggled to fight him. 

"Let me go," she screamed up at him, hating how his touch held her bound more than his strength. "I should've never let you move me here with these ing humans!"

"Minzy listen to me," he hissed as he struggled to keep her in place. 

Shaking her head, she hated how he called out her name as if he deserved to be listened to. Summing up what hate she could throw at him, she sent him an intense glare, "Say my name one more time and I promise you that will be the last thing you'll ever say!"

"Then let me say this, I no longer want to be mates. Release me of this bond and we can be free of speaking each other's names forever," he growled. 

His words hit her like a freight train, it hurt more than his actions from earlier. How could he ask such a question, she thought. She no longer fought him as she became limp and suddenly paralyzed by such a hard request. She lay still as he attempted to reason as to why it would benefit the both of them. But to her all that was coming out of his mouth was white noise as it felt as though he was carving out her heart from her chest with his bare hands.

The pain was unbearable as the sharp claws of his pathetic excuses impaled her. Digging to rip at the tendons and arteries that held her heart in place, it was ripped out of her chest as he confessed that he had been seeing that woman and was currently in love with her. It wasn't just the words, but in his tone that she could feel that he sincerely meant every word about loving someone else. Feeling like she was bleeding out in the open for the world to see, she trembled being exposed and tortured by the man who was supposed to do the opposite. Curling up into a ball as she held herself, she attempted to shield the now gaping hole where her heart used to be. Closing her eyes as she felt the tears well up, she couldn't, no she wouldn't let him see her cry. 

Hearing how he let out a sigh of relief, it was like he expected this to happen. He expected her to react this way. He expected her to bleed out and drown in her sorrows right before him. She knew he could be a hard man, but a cruel one? No that wasn't him or at least that was what she had thought. This was a side she had never seen, at least a side that maybe her bond to him had blinded her from the truth. She could feel him trying to mind link her his emotions, but she blocked them out. She couldn't sympathize with a man who asked her to basically commit suicide. He knows that mating is something that happens for life. He knows what severing a bond will do. Having a mate is more than physical, it is soul binding. It was unheared of to rip one's soul in half and those who've tried apparently wished death upon themselves with open arms. He knows and yet he still asks. "So what do you say?"

The sound of clicking heels coming towards their direction had her springing to life as she rushed towards the sound. Gripping the young woman by the neck, she glared at the selfish man who held his hands up pleading. Digging her nails into the woman's delicate human flesh, she smirked as her wolf howled to be let out. It was empowering to say the least seeing his attention completely focused on her. She had tried to get him to do that for the past few months and now she had him where she wanted him. Groveling at her feet, begging for her to stop as she punctured the delicate skin of the woman that was gasping for air. Pulling her attention away from her husband, she looked at the human woman. She was pettite and beautiful yes, but what made her so special? What did she have that she didn't? What was so important about her that he was willing to risk it all, even herself? Turning off all reasoning, she drove her free hand into the woman's chest. Clutching the human's heart in the palm of her hand, and ripped it out of her fragile body. Holding the bloody thing that still pulsed with blood spouting out of it, she tossed it to the man who sat in disbelief and shock. Releasing the body of the now lifeless woman, it hit the ground with a loud thud. "I say that you'll never be free of me. Our curse can never be undone." 

Feeling the moisture in her hand, she subconsciously looked down to see it drenched in blood. It was the blood of the woman who lay at her feet. Hissing in disbelief as the rage boiled in her blood, this was the first person she had ever killed. She had become a ruthless killer. A killer who now stood full of grief and guilt as she stumbled away. Finding herself bolting into the house that was never a home, she began to panic. She needed it off. Smearing the blood onto the door, the walls, and anything she could get her hands on. But even though she had tried to wipe it off it seemed to just spread all over her. The blood painting her body deep red as she cried out in fear. She didn't realize the sounds of sobbing came from her own throat as she gazed all around her feeling the house start to spin. Crying hysterically at the blood drying on her skin, she knew she could never get rid of the blood she split. This would be with her forever.

Becoming delirious, she didn't notice the fire she had started as the house went up in flames. Unaware of her situation, she heard a loud howl and her neck snapped back as she saw her husband cradling the lifeless human. "Crying won't bring her back," she hissed as parts of the ceiling caved in front of her.

Instead of panicking or attempting to flee the scene, she embraced it. How fitting for their situation as she stood in the middle of their burning home as he stayed coddling the human woman. The hot tears stinging her cheeks as she made her way towards the kitchen and pulled out a knife from the stainless steel set her parents had given them as a parting gift. Raising the blade up towards the crook of her neck she pressed the point of the blade deep into her skin and dragged it through her mark. Hissing as the new wound inflicted let her blood spill down her neck she wondered if he cared. But she knew better as she turned away. She knew he didn't care for her. Letting go of the knife, she extended out her arms as she closed her eyes hoping that the flames would engulf her with the rest of the house. 

 

FIVE YEARS LATER

Minzy lay with her body splayed out onto the boulder. Her now long wavy raven colored hair flung over the side as her bronze skin bathed in the sun. Closing her eyes and basking in its warmth was the closest thing she got to feeling good. It was one of the few guilty pleasures she indulged in from time to time, especially on a day like today. Today marked five years she thought as she closed her eyes and shivered at the thought of her past. Mindlessly reaching up to the side of her neck, she pulled away the makeshift bandage to let her freshly made wound breathe. She had to cut her scar open every couple of weeks due to the lycan's quick ability to physically heal. It was an unhealthy habit she had stuck to as a physical reminder as to why she was all alone in isolation. 

She didn't mind one bit being alone or isolated. It was something she had grown accustomed to since her life was turned upside down. To think of it, she convinced herself that it was better off to not have someone bother her or burden her with concerns that were meaningless to her. Feeling the negative thoughts of what others would think of her she wondered why she even thought that. Why would she care if no one really cared for her? Having such feelings start to trickle in, she became somewhat annoyed. It was her time to enjoy a guilty pleasure, yet her mind wasn't letting her. Turning her neck to the side, she hoped the sun would burn the thoughts out along with the stupid mark. Focusing her attention on the warmth that beamed down her neck, she thought of what she had been mentally preparing for in the last few months. It is time, she kept convincing herself. Repeating the words to herself again, she hoped it was time. But the hope was made all in vain at the presence of someone approaching and hovering over her as to block the warmth she so desperately wanted to focus on.

"He requests your presence," the stern voice called for her attention.

"Sure, when I'm done," she waved the nuisance away.

"Now Minzy," Beta Seungri barked. Opening her eyes, she looked up at the emerald eyes that bore down at her. The flashes of the past came flooding into her mind instanteously. Those were the same eyes that had held her gaze when she was ready to release her spirit to the Other Side. Weaving in and out of consciousness, she had sent him a look of grief hoping he would take pity on her and just let her die. But he didn't, he lifted her body with ease and pulled her out of the fire. Since that day he was the one they always seemed to send to fetch her.

Now after a few years of getting acquainted with him, she knew very well than to question him. Rolling her eyes, she tossed her silk robe on and pushed herself up onto her feet. Gazing over at Beta Seungri who stood watch, she glared over at him. "Can a woman put on some damn clothes first?!"

"You're testing my patience," he said through gritted teeth.

"You first need patience to test it," she smugly said as she slipped on a pair of fitted dark jeans and shear off white blouse. Slipping on a pair of sandals, she gestured that she was ready to go. Watching as his hard gaze was ripped away to turn and take their leave, she grinned finding joy in his annoyance, which was what their interactions and relationship had developed into. Quietly slipping in the back of the black range rover, she closed the door and leaned her head upon the cool glass as she watched Beta Seungri enter the driver's seat. "What does he want now?" Beta Seungri being the stubborn man that he was, ignored her question as he drove. "At least play a little music," she scoffed as she folded her arms over her chest. He let out a soft huff of frustration as he denied her request and kept driving. Shaking her head at his stubbornness, she rolled down the window and let the breeze enter the car.

 

Before she knew it they were back, feeling her chest tighten as the mansion came into view she didn't know why she still felt anxious every time she was called back home. The Victorian model mansion expanded across acres of green plush land. Of course it was gated, with tall brick walls to protect it or at least give off the look. It didn't need to be protected, if anything the world would be grateful that it was there to contain the beasts that lie within. Watching as the car slowed to allow the gates to open, her anxiety had her up and out of the car before it came to a full stop.

Trudging up the stairs, the door was opened for her by one of the guards from within. There were throngs of people all around as if there was some kind of gathering she was being forced to attend. Thinking on what the occasion was, everyone seemed to stop what they were doing as their eyes fell upon her. She felt her chest tighten as she stood at the doorway making her reconsider entering. These people weren't supposed to be complete strangers eyeing her, in fact they were members of her pack. She was raised in the heart of the Night Walker pack lands. They were her classmates, her friends, her neighbors at one point in her life. But those were things of the past. She had abandoned and neglected those ties when she so foolishly followed someone who wanted to live among the human race. Someone who was supposed to be her everything, but instead left her with nothing as she stood with the curious and judging eyes suffocating her. Feeling the warmth of a hand pressed to her back, she looked to see Beta Seungri nod as he led her further into the mansion.

Minzy was eternally grateful towards Beta Seungri as he kept his hand pressed to her back. It felt like a security blanket, granting her the courage to pass through all the judging gazes shot her way. Finding her way into the main hall, the crowd quietly parted the seas to allow them to pass. When she had made her way towards the man that sat upon the throne, she let her gaze fall to the ground. Dropping down to her knee, she moved to bow foreward as she pressed her forehead onto the ground in complete submission. "Into the night we walk and shall rise. It is a great honor to be summoned by thee great leader and Alpha Daesung. How may I serve thee?"

"Rise my child and let me look upon your face," his voice boomed. Slowly rising to her feet, she kept her gaze down and her head slightly bowed out of respect. "Look at me child," he demanded and she nervously shifted her gaze up to meet the strong gaze of their fierce leader. Though his hair was peppered, his face still had a strikingly handsome glow to it with his strong jawline and dark brows that furrowed when he was deep in thought like he was as he looked up her. His pitch black eyes bore into hers as if trying to look into the depths of her soul. But she did not have one or at least that was what she had come to believe as she watched his lips press firmly together into a thin line. "Time has not been kind to you," he softly spoke and she flinched at his tender words knowing tender was not one of his strong suits.

Not wanting the pity party, she sighed as she tired her best to stay calm, "What can I do for you Alpha?"

He nodded, understanding that she wanted to leave. "This would be a little easier if you had not turned off your mind link. I understand that you are in pain, but there are some things I must speak to you about. Will you turn it on?"

Trembling at the thought, she didn't know if she was strong enough as she shifted her gaze from side to side to gauge the room. "I..."

"Turn it on," Alpha Daesung instructed.

Closing her eyes, she let out a deep sigh as she searched in the back of her mind.

Minzy stood in front of the wooden door. She had locked it and mentally put a blockade to reinforce it close. She stood hesitant to open it when the words of the Alpha echoed in her mind to unlock it. Dodging the plank of wood that flew off the door, she bit the corner of her lip as she watched the door knob twist feeling it had been locked. Soon the knob began to shake vigorously along with the door that sounded first with a few knocks before there came pounding as if whatever was being locked away was needing out. Suddenly the door knob busted off and the door flung up. A tsunami of emotions, memories, and thoughts came swarming in and sweeping her off her feet. They were not only those of her own, but of the various people that were surrounding her. Drowning in the endless waves of pity, sadness, pain, anger, and disgust had her falling to her knees. Placing her palms to the ground, the weight of it all was too much. She was too wrapped up in it all to realize she had stopped breathing and started to become light headed. Digging her nails into the ground she wanted it all to stop, as she watched the tsunami pulling her further away from the door.   

Consumed in her mental state, she didn't notice the tears that started to well in her eyes. Crying as the Alpha moved down towards her, he lifted her chin to have her look into his eyes. Tossing and turning in the endless abyss, it was his gaze that had sent her a life line to pull her out. Locking their gaze, she was transported into his mind.

Standing in a field of tall green grass, the sun was high as if noon day and the birds were chirping the songs of happiness. It was all inviting, but she knew better to embrace such a sight as she folded her arms across her chest. Relieved to be out of the torment, she knew she would have to return to it after they were done speaking. Staring over to alpha Daesung who had his back towards her, she walked towards him and saw that he was staring at two pups who were chasing each other without a care in the world. It was cute seeing the innocence of the two playing with each other, but why would he show her this? She had no children and neither did he. So who were they?

"This is your future," he revealed. "If you so allow it. You could be happy."

The scene was far from the truth as she turned away, "I'm not destined for happiness. The fates don't want me to feel happiness and neither do you."

"I know you still blame me for saving you, but..."

"Let's not forget that you also saved your brother. You let him live after what he did to me! You let him go as a rogue and now he is out there in the world living how he wants," she hissed as the tears of betrayal fell from her eyes.

Alpha Daesung knew he was forever indebted to her, after the stunt he pulled. He knew the laws of the lycan world, but he over looked them for the sake of his own flesh and blood. But he was still the leader none the less, "And you? Have I not let you live out your life as you so please?"

"If you call living with no purpose in isolation then yes I guess so," she shrugged. She was straddling the line of being disrespectful, but she couldn't help it. Why was she back? Why did he summon her? "If you have called me back to release your brother from our bond, then you are wasting your time. I will never let him escape me." Her words were filled with so much hate and rage. It was all that she seemed to cling to if the Alpha refused to let her die.

"I would never question your devotion to my brother," he countered.

His response made her falter, "Devotion? The only devotion I have is to make him suffer and wallow in pain until my very last breath."

"I would expect nothing less," he said with gratitude which confused her even more. "I feel as though I can make use of all your pent up anger. Beta Seungri is in need of an assistant and I feel that you can fulfill that role," Alpha Daesung said. "Your duties will be, but not limited to part of border patrol and aiding him in meet ups with other packs." Growing up she never really took to developing her physical strength, when she had a brilliant mind. She was top of her class for strategies as well as communications, qualities that she was currently lacking after her world fell apart.

"I don't think I'm worthy of such a calling," she nervously said. "Honestly Alpha Daesung I am a woman with little to offer."

"No, you're the exact woman I need for the job. You start your training tomorrow," he reassured her as he placed a hand upon her shoulder to have her look up at him. "Something tells me that you'll be a great leader some day." 

 

Author's Notes:

I wanted to post this fic when it was completed but after writing this for so damn long I just want to release it. Yeah I know, me posting unfinished work how original when I already have how many unfinished work already up lol. But hear me out, this fic has been in the makings for a good two or so years and I can at the very least promise you there will be weekly updates for a few months seeing as I'm forty chapters deep in this. Yes I said it, I'm forty chapters deep and still not done with this fic. Why do I torture myself so? Even so, I hope you all enjoyed the first chapter. FYI it's mainly second generation kpop peeps in this fic. 2021 and I still be using peeps from that kpop generation and I don't care lol.