A Mere Moment - Do Kyungsoo

Challenging Words [Ongoing Series]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Prompt: “One day, I shall covet you.”

Pairing: Do Kyungsoo x female reader

Genre: regency au / drama/ fluff

Warnings: insinuation of murder

Word count: 892

 

Your cheeks were beginning to hurt. The smile that you were forcing upon your lips was growing tired, your head thumping along with the beat of your heart. He had held your hand now for too long, leaned in too close for your liking and primed you as if he was about to gobble you up.

You disliked the mere concept that as a lady you could do nothing but stand here and listen to the complete drivel coming out of the Lord Barlow’s mouth. You had no interest in marrying just for status.

And yet, that was such of the society you lived within. Your parents, modest as they be, had every intention of marrying you off this summer. You wondered if someone could fall in love in a matter of seconds with how the scent of autumn lingered around the corner.

It wasn’t without a lack of trying. You had gone to every social event on the calendar, and you had danced with many eligible men too. You were just a little too plain. You were capable, kind and gentle enough to become someone’s wife, and yet nothing further enticed anyone to marry you, let alone fall in love.

Perhaps you simply didn’t open up your heart enough, knowing full well you wished for a marriage that didn’t come from convenience.

Much as it would be if you married the man before you.

“You would make a fine third wife,” Lord Barlow breathed, the alcohol on his breath itching your nose up in disgust. You smoothed it down once he pulled back enough to look at you again. “One day, I shall covet you, Y/N. One day very soon.”

“Ownership, my Lord?” you questioned suddenly, surprising the man since you had been rather quiet all this time, aside from timely hums giving no answer in either direction. “Is that how you view marriage?”

“Well, you will become mine once we wed, yes.”

“And that of my freedom?”

He scratched at his head, confused by your question. “You are

Please log in to read the full chapter