Great Lengths - Bang Chan

Challenging Words [Ongoing Series]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Prompt: “What I did? What about you?!”

Pairing: Bang Chan x female reader

Genre: regency au / fluff

Warnings: none

Word count: 1318

 

You dragged Chan to the corner of the ballroom, attempting to keep all attention away from you and remaining on the dance in the middle of the floor with your sister and Lord Booth.

You would not allow tonight to end like this.

Still, no matter how much you had tried, the young man before you refused to follow instructions. Your hands took purchase within the layers of the extravagant fabric of your dress, not even quite making it to your hips from the sheer density.

“What are you doing?!”

“Standing behind a rather peculiar sculpture with you,” Chan responded, staring up at your father’s promiscuous art with some intrigue.

You hastened a hand in front of his eyes, trying to keep him on the matter at hand. “Chan!”

“Yes, Y/N?”

“You are meant to be the one swinging my sister around the floor right now, not Lord Booth!”

“Am I?” he asked, causing your mouth to fall ajar with the impertinence he was expressing. You could tell he was now amused and trying ever so hard to keep his lips straight. “Oh dear. I am not there, however.”

“When the song changes, you must-”

“Do we really need to strive to such lengths?” Chan questioned tersely, and you gaped at him again.

“You and I have gone through this plan how many times now?”

“On so many occasions I feel it is engrained in my mind word for word.”

You nodded impatiently. “So then the issue is?”

“I simply do not wish to dance with her or swing her around anywhere.”

“You’ll allow her to be betrothed to Lord Booth?!”

“What is that of any burden to me?” Chan wondered and you felt the desire to slap your friend.

However, that would certainly cause a scene, and given the last time you had done such a thing made him cry so loudly that the maids came running to his aid thinking a tragedy had occurred. You thought better of it, gripping at your skirt tightly.

Though a catastrophe might occur now if he did not follow with what you had asked of him.

Your sister was your best friend in this entire world and you were scared of losing her. After hearing of her concerns about being married off to some faraway county, you had asked your longest friend, Chan, to help. His family made twelve pounds more than yours in a year and would easily provide prestige of marrying into a good estate and name. Your parents were fond of his and you could not see a better situation for all.

However, Chan was ruining your chances of success.

Huffing with annoyance, you tilted your head to the side. “Burden? Shall I become one to you?!”

“Are you not already?” he grumbled, rolling his eyes in distaste. “I will not do it, Y/N. Not for anything!”

“Why ever not?! You have no maiden you wish to marry and I do not mind having a brother in you.”

“How generous of your heart to care so deeply for me,

Please log in to read the full chapter