Sleep Paralysis (Part 1)

The Great Ones

Kota ran a hand through her short brown hair, her face bare after her makeup was removed. She rubbed her tired eyes while climbing into her bed. It was like heaven to her.

Kota sighed and snuggled in deeper in her covers. She closed her eyes, clapped her hands to turn off her bedroom lights, and pulled her blanket tighter to her. A few minutes later, she was asleep.

A few hours later, Kota awoke. However, she couldn’t move. She knew what was happening, but it still freaked her out. She was known to have regular cases of sleep paralysis. 

In the corner of her bedroom, hiding in the shadows and darkness, a black mist appeared. Suddenly, the mist formed into a humanoid shape. It seemed to be that of a females. Its face peered out from its mist, it was that of a beautiful woman. However, her expression was stoic and emotionless. She just stared at the paralyzed Kota. 

The woman completely stepped out from the mist. Her appearance was that of a young woman, in her late twenties. She stood above Kota. morphed into a wide toothy smile. Her hands reached out and her nails began to take the form of sharp razors. Her nails pierced the forehead of Kota, who began to convulse almost immediately. The woman bent over with wide open, as if she was going to consume Kota.

The next morning Kota’s boyfriend, Shownu, entered her bedroom after a long night shift. He didn’t notice his girlfriend at first, but knew she was there. He climbed into bed and put an arm around her. He moved his hand up to get a little feel for her face he loved to touch. However, something felt wrong. A simple touch turned into a full on fondle of his girlfriend’s face. 

“Babe, what’s with your face?” Shownu asked, propping himself up on his elbows. He turned his girlfriend towards him.

Kota’s mouth was ripped open, her teeth exposed and blood dried around the tears. There was no signs of spilled blood. Her eyes were wide open with shock, dried tears around her eyes. Shownu let out a scream of agony and practically flew backwards, falling off the bed. Shownu looked at Kota once more, tears welling up in his eyes.

”Kota!”

———

Woozi jolted up, sweat covering his forehead. His breathing was rapid and heavy. He wiped his sweat onto his blanket and sighed. He looked at his phone, finding no notifications. He took a deep breath and got out of bed. 

A loud explosion occurred just as he stretched, then a warcry from Yoongi. Woozi groaned then opened his door. Ryujin flew past his room, screaming in the process, hitting the ground with a loud thud. Yoongi came out from his bedroom, wielding a broken broom. He joined Woozi by his door. Woozi looked to what could have thrown Ryujin. A muscular wolf-like creature let out a howl before charging at Woozi. 

“Freeze it!”

Woozi flicked one of his hands at the beast. A barrier formed inside the beast, cleaving it in two. It’s two cleaved sides fell to the ground, now pouring out blue blood.

Yoongi nodded, “or do that.” 

Yoongi helped a dazed Ryujin up. Woozi walked to the cleaved beast and gently kicked it. Ryujin collected herself and walked to Woozi, staring at the beast. 

“Didn’t know you could control that power.” 

“I can’t. I wanted to freeze it.” Woozi said with a slight whimper. He sighed before returning to his bedroom. 

Yoongi walked to Ryujin, “Can we talk about the fact as soon as I returned from the hospital, we are immediately attacked?” 

“You’re the problem.” Ryujin joked.

” off.” 

Woozi walked out of his room, now wearing a pair of ratty shoes. “I’ll clean it up.”

”I’ll help-“ 

“You got work.” Woozi interjected. “I got it.”

Ryujin eyed her friend before shrugging. She gave Yoongi a look before walking off to get ready for work.

Yoongi eyed Woozi, “dude, are you okay?” 

Woozi nodded then walked off to get cleaning supplies. Yoongi knew he was lying, but didn’t feel it was right to probe him with questions. 

———

Woozi took a deep breath before stepping out of the elevator to his office floor. WooHee smiled at him, she knew what happened occurred. 

Woozi ignored her and went to his cubicle. A small basket was on his desk, beside his desktop. He eyed it, seeing several snacks and a card inside. He took the card and opened it. Woozi rolled his eyes as he saw who it was from, he didn’t finish reading it and threw it back in the basket. The thought to cut it through with a barrier passed through his mind, knowing it wasn’t a smart move, instead, Woozi grabbed the basket and tossed it into the nearest trash. 

WooHee walked over, staring at the basket in the trash as she passed it. She leaned against Woozi’s desk. 

“Hey.”

Woozi didn’t look at her, “Hey.” 

“Do you have plans later tonight?” 

Woozi eyed her then looked back at his desk, “no, why?” 

“You know a lot about mythology right? I always heard you talking to you know who about like Greek creatures and stuff.” 

“Yeah.” 

“Well, big boss wants me to do a presentation on mythology for some company he’s trying to get to partner with us.” 

“And you want my help?” Woozi finished. WooHee nodded and smiled. Woozi thought for a moment then shrugged, “sure. I’ll help.” 

WooHee squealed, “yay! Thank you. Meet me here at six-ish? I’ll treat you to a late dinner after.” 

“Okay.” 

WooHee waited a moment for a more enthusiastic reaction, but got nothing. She sighed. “I’m sorry, for what happened.” 

Woozi looked at her, stared for a moment, then nodded. WooHee nodded back before walking back to her desk. She returned to his desk a moment later, holding the snacks from the basket in her hands.

”Don’t throw away free snacks, especially if they are the good .” WooHee said with a slight smile, dumping the pile of snacks on his desk. Woozi couldn’t help but chuckle. “It’s less work to smile than to frown. Remember that.” She said before truly leaving. 

———

Yoongi sat in a comfy chair, leaning on one side of the arm. A man in a ironed black suit sat behind a desk in front of him. 

“Mr. Yoongi, I’m very impressed with you; and to add to the fact, you’ve been hospitalized twice in the last two years, and still kept up with your classes and grades. I’m extremely impressed.”

”Thank you, sir.” 

“But I do have one question.” 

“Yes?”

”Now what?” 

“What?” 

The man rose from his seat, “you are almost finished with your degree, I would say that becoming an intern for your preferred field is a good stepping stone into your future. You have two semesters left, interning would be wise to get some experience prior.” 

“Okay, how exactly do I do that?” 

The man chuckled, “look around to possible locations you’re looking to work, contact them, and see if they are taking on interns.” 

Yoongi nodded. The man sat back down. 

Yoongi rose, “thank you for your time.”

”Well, I am your advisor. It’s my job.” The man joked. Yoongi smiled and nodded. “Now don’t you have class soon? Go.” 

Yoongi said his goodbyes and left. He passed by flailing paper in the wind, taped to the wall, it practically attacked Yoongi as it disconnected from the wall and smacked him in the face. Yoongi snatched it and eyed it. He groaned and crumpled it up. He took out his phone, dialing Ryujin’s number. 

“Hey.” Ryujin answered.

”Want the good news or-“

”Just get to the point.” Ryujin interrupted, knowing the drill. 

“Dead woman, student from my university, killed in a very weird way. Ready?” Yoongi cleared his throat as he read the message typed below a picture of Kota. He made his voice deeper. “My girlfriend was found dead, cut open, fear still in her eyes, dried tears around her eyes. No blood at all, as if it was out of her. Whoever did this, whoever can help, I need answers! The police aren’t doing anything!” 

Ryujin was silent for a moment, “Did you have to say it like that?” 

“Like what?” 

“Are you sure it’s something we need to focus-“

”It literally hit me in the face.” 

Ryujin groaned, “I’m out of work at three.”

”Should we involve Woozi?”

”If it’s just some murderer, no. However, we won’t know until we know. He’s got enough on his mind right now. Let’s just do what we can before we involve him.” 

“Sounds good. I’ll go meet the guy or girl, doesn’t really say.”

”Not important.” 

“Obviously. I’ll go see what I can get from him, or her-“

”Just do it!” Ryujin said before hanging up. 

Yoongi gasped at her hanging up on him. He called her a under his breath before eyeing the paper again. There was a number to call. 

———

Yoongi sat outside on a bench, tapping his foot on the ground. A man sat down beside him a few minutes later. 

Yoongi eyed him. “Are you Shownu?” 

The man eyed him and nodded. He turned to Yoongi and held his hand out. Yoongi shook it. 

“Thank you for taking interest. Are you like a P.I?” Shownu asked. Yoongi didn’t really know what to say without saying too much. Shownu caught on to that. “No?” 

Yoongi sighed, “my friends and I are more like Nancy Drew.” 

“Who?” 

“Nancy Drew.” 

“Whose that?” 

Yoongi gasped, “the best female detective in the world!” Shownu nodded in response. “Anyway, do you mind showing me your bedroom.” 

“How do I know you’re not like some,” Shownu thought of the right word. “Like a thief or just someone playing with my fragile-“ 

“I’m not an .” Yoongi said. 

“I don’t know you though.” 

“But you took time to meet me, so you’re desperate. I’m willing to help you.” 

Shownu rose, “I’m not desperate. I’m just someone’s who trying to find out who killed the love of my life.” 

“I want to help, dude. I really do. My friends and I-“

”Where are your friends?” 

“Both at work.” 

“I see.” Shownu sighed then nodded, “Let’s go. I’ll take you.” 

Yoongi followed Shownu to a house just off campus. After being let in, Yoongi followed Shownu upstairs to a closed door. 

“They took her body out yesterday, I haven’t been in here since it happened.” 

“Did you get questioned?” 

“I didn’t do it, dude. I love her.” Shownu answered, his voice shaky. Yoongi could tell he was about to cry. Shownu grabbed the door handle, but couldn’t turn it. He took a deep breath. 

“Want me to do it?” Yoongi asked. Shownu shook his head. A moment later, he opened the door slowly. 

The two walked into the bedroom. It was dark, due to the curtains being drawn. Yoongi walked over the window to grab the curtains, but something stopped him. He turned around, seeing Shownu standing in the doorway. However, something else was in the room with him. He could feel it. 

“Can you turn on the light?” 

Shownu nodded then reached his hand over to the left side and flipped up a light switch. As soon as the light filled the room, the feeling of being watched was gone.

Yoongi pulled the curtains back to let natural light in. He eyed the room. A stripped bed was in the center of the room, against a wall. Two pillows laid on top. To both sides were oak end tables, a lamp on one. 

“They just removed those orange cones, and any and all possible evidence.” Shownu said. 

“You said that there was no blood.” 

“Correct.” 

“Was there any on your sheets or on the floor?” 

Shownu shook his head. He hadn’t moved from the doorway. Yoongi waved him over. Shownu hesitated for a moment, looking around the room once more, before stepping into the room. Yoongi walked over to the light switch and flipped it off. 

“What are you doing?” Shownu asked.

Yoongi shushed him and looked around. The feeling of being watched return a minute later. Yoongi looked around the room, but didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. He turned the light back on and sighed. 

“What?” 

Yoongi thought for a moment, “Do you mind if I come back with my friends? They are more smart.” 

“Yeah, sure.”

”Awesome, we will be back tonight if that’s okay.” 

“Yeah.” 

Yoongi nodded and left the room. Shownu shut off the light in the room. Before he was able to leave the room, a dark shadow stepped out from the darkness. The door slammed shut in front of him. Shownu let out a yell. He turned around, knowing something was behind him. He came face to face with the beautiful young woman, who didn’t wait long to morph into what she truly was. 

Yoongi was already disintegrating the bedroom door, seeing the woman morph before his eyes. widened and sharp teeth protruded out. Her nails sharpened, slowly reaching for Shownu’s forehead.

Yoongi conjured a fireball, “get down!” He yelled to Shownu. However, Shownu didn’t move. He was paralyzed. Before Yoongi could act, the woman’s nails pierced Shownu’s forehead. He fell to the ground and began to convulse. Yoongi threw the fireball immediately, but the woman had already retreated back into the darkness. Yoongi swore under his breath before turning on the room light and crouching in front of a convulsing Shownu. Yoongi called for an ambulance. 

————

Ryujin and Woozi met each other at the entrance of the hospital. 

“We are here way too much.” Ryujin commented. Woozi simply nodded. The two eventually made their way to a hospital room. 

Yoongi sat down in a chair, staring at a man in a hospital bed; who was unconscious. 

“Hey.” Ryujin said. Yoongi rose and smiled at his two friends slightly. “What happened?” 

“He was attacked by some weird she-demon or something, I saw it attack him. I’m assuming it’s the same demon who killed his girlfriend.” 

“But they think he just convulsed?” 

“Yeah. They said he’ll be fine, they are going to keep him overnight.” 

The three shared a look. Woozi spoke, “So we are going to camp out here, I suppose.”

”Yeah, obviously.” Yoongi answered. 

Woozi nodded. Ryujin ran a hand through her hair, “Great. So what’s our plan if she shows up?” 

“The good old freeze and fire.” Yoongi said with a slight chuckle. 

“And if she doesn’t freeze?” 

“Use your barrier creation thing.” 

Woozi sat down in one of the chairs near Shownu’s bed and curled up into a ball. He wrapped his arms around his legs and blankly stared at the unconscious man. 

“I’ll go get us some coffee and food. Mostly because I’m hungry.” Ryujin said. Yoongi nodded and watched her leave. 

Yoongi looked at Woozi, “So how’ve you been?” Woozi looked at him like he should know. Yoongi did have an idea of how he was feeling. “You’re going to be okay, dude. You fight evil for a living, a cheating-“

”Yoongi, please stop talking.” Woozi interrupted. 

“I’m just trying to-“

”I know, but it isn’t helping. I don’t want to talk about it. Okay?” 

Yoongi sighed, “okay. Sorry.” 

“Yoongi, I’m not mad or anything. I just-I’m not ready to talk about it.” 

“I understand. I’m just-“ 

“Worried.” 

“Stop interrupting me! You’re turning into Ryu!” Yoongi’s comment made Woozi smirk. 

Woozi stretched his limbs then rose, “I’m going to the bathroom; and I have to call off of work.” 

“Why? You don’t work nights.” 

“I promised a coworker I’d help her finish her project.” 

“Go,” Yoongi said.

Woozi shook his head, “it’s fine.” 

“I can handle the demon if she comes, or at least hold it off.” 

“You sure?”

”Yes. Now, go. Just come back after, okay?” 

“I’ll try. You know hospitals don’t let guests in after nine.” 

“Are you going to be that long?” 

“I hope not. I’ll call if I am.” 

Yoongi nodded then watched Woozi leave. He eyed Shownu then sat down in the seat nearest him.