Burn

The Great Ones

Yoongi parked his car in a student parking spot, oblivious to the frozen community around him, grabbed his belongings and started towards the university.

Yoongi ran through the halls of the campus, dodging slow students who were more focused on their phones. 

A girl exited her classroom just as Yoongi passed, causing her to flinch and spill her iced coffee all over her.

”Hey!” The girl called, waving her coffee-covered hand to Yoongi.

Yoongi ignored her and continued down the hall. The girl ran after him, the scene witnessed by many students in the area.

Yoongi finally stopped running and ducked into his three o’clock class. He sat down next to his lab partner, Jungkook, and turned to him. “When did it become three? I swear it was ten like five minutes ago.”

Jungkook shrugged, “How would I know?”

The girl covered in her coffee stormed in and slammed her hands on Yoongi’s table, causing him to jump slightly.

Yoongi eyed the girl, finding her pretty despite dropping coffee “Hello.”

The girl glared at him “Do you not know how to say sorry?”

”What?”

The girl gestures towards her stained clothes and dripping hair. Yoongi shrugged, not knowing what her point was.

”Your speeding through the hallway, running into me, you don’t remember hitting my coffee?”

Yoongi narrowed his eyes “I think I would remember that.”

”Clearly not.”

The professor stepped into the classroom, his lab coat swaying in the breeze behind him. He eyed the girl, who got the message and left, still glaring at the boy.

The professor disregarded the incident and started his lecture. Yoongi fired up the burner, the flame stationary, moving ever so slightly when the two boys breathed near it.

When the professor called for the students to begin their lab assignment, Yoongi turned his body to his friend. The room already loud from partners chatting about the project and random conversations. 

”What was with that girl? Yoongi asked, adjusting the heat on the flame.

Jungkook shrugged and started the assignment. However, Yoongi was still livid about the interaction.

Yoongi gestured his hand wildly, “She probably dropped her coffee and wanted to blame it on me, who was coincidentally passing by. The wanted free coffee, or money.” 

Jungkook agreed with him, and continued with the project. Yoongi slammed his hand on the table, causing Jungkook to flinch.

”Like who does she think she is?” Yoongi added, anger rising up from inside. “I can’t believe people like that actually exist.”

”You’re hot-headed.” Jungkook replied, adjusting the flame’s heat again.

Yoongi motioned towards the door, his anger reaching a burning point, “Like what gives!” 

As soon as Yoongi finished the sentence, the entire flame curled itself into a dense ball of fire and shot towards the direction Yoongi’s hand was in. 

The flame connected with a brick wall, exploding. The students outside the classroom screamed, ducking low to avoid more possible fireballs. 

Yoongi turned to Jungkook, whose face was covered by his arms. The rest of the class didn’t seem to catch on, almost not realizing anything going on. 

Another professor, who happened to be passing through the halls, ran into the classroom. His deep voice startling everyone except Yoongi.

”What’s going on in here?!” He asked. Yoongi’s professor looked up from the student he was assisting.

”Oh my god.” Yoongi said under his breath.

”What’s wrong, Professor Giyeok?”

”A ball of fire just shot out from this classroom!”

Yoongi’s professor scanned the room, then shrugged. Yoongi quickly lit his burned, and turned to Jungkook.

”What did you do?” Jungkook asked, hushing his voice as the professor from outside passed.

”How do I know?” Yoongi responded just as quieter.

The professor circled the room then stared out into the hallway, pointing at the scorch mark on the wall. “No one saw what happened out there?”

The entire class, including Yoongi and Jungkook, shook their head. The professor sighed and left the room, closing the door behind him.

”Back to work, everyone.” Yoongi’s professor stated.