A Spiritual Experience Part 2

The Great Ones

The headlights of Ryujin’s car was the only source of light on the desolate road. 

Woozi scanned the dark woodland area to his right for a dirt road. He looks at his phone, its gps displayed on the screen.

”Again, why are we doing this?” Woozi asked.

”Because it just seems to crazy for it not to be something for us to investigate.”

”We aren’t freaking superhero’s, Ryujin. We are twenty-ish millennials who can’t even figure out how to turn off the water in the house.”

Ryujin ignored his snarky comment and continued slowly down the road. Woozi looked down at his phone, there was a road to the left coming up.

”There’s a dead-end road to the left coming up.”

”Let’s try that one.”

”Fifth one in the last twenty minutes.”

”Shut up.”

Woozi turned his body to Ryujin, “I have a really important question.”

”Okay,” Ryujin turned into the road to her left, the pavement turned into dirt.

”So if we happen to find, what, some sort of evil thing, a creature or monster or whatever; how do we stop it? If you forgot, you can only read minds and I can freeze people.”

Ryujin her brights, the road ahead stretched a long distance. 

“I don’t know if I can freeze a ghost or a monster. Plus, as soon as I look away, or blink, it unfreezes.”

Ryujin was about to answer when the radio suddenly came to life, no music playing. Ryujin stepped on the brake pedal. The two stared at the radio, hearing nothing.

”I don’t think I can freeze a radio either,” Woozi added.

Suddenly, there was a slight ringing coming from the radio. The two leaned closer, hearing a faint voice speaking.

”What is it saying?”

”Come closer.”

”Um, no.”

Ryujin stepped off the gas and continued down the road. Woozi looked at her like she was crazy. The two were silent as the two ventured.

”Look.” Ryujin said.

Ahead, now bright from the car’s lights, was a familiar car. In front of the car was a clinic, about the size of a small grocery store, big enough to take up a good portion of the land. It’s walls covered in dying vines, dead tree branches scraping against the building. However, something seemed off.

”Ryujin,” Woozi pointed to the tree branches. “Do you see that?”

Only a couple feet away from the building, the trees branches were covered in beautiful fauna. However, the few feet nearing the building were decayed. 

Ryujin exited her car after turning it off. She shone a flashlight on the building, surprised to see dead grass and bushes surrounding it. However, a couple feet away the grass was a lovely shade of green. 

Ryujin picked up a dandelion. She walked to the edge of the alive grass, and tossed the dandelion inside the dead area. Seconds later, the dandelion began to wither.

”And you want to go in that building?” Woozi replied, appearing beside her.

”There are two guys in there.”

”And?”

”I’m getting a bad feeling from this place, Woozi. It doesn’t feel good, it feels evil.”

”Then let’s go home.”

”I’m not leaving two helpless people in there. It’s clearly magical, who knows what they are experiencing in there.”

”We got our powers not even a week ago, and you want to go play superhero?”

”I’ll go by myself.”

Ryujin starts towards the front door, passing over the threshold. She turns her head slightly, to see if Woozi will follow, but find him gone. In fact, the cars are gone, darkness taking over.

”Woozi?!” Ryujin called.

How do we get out of here?!

I knew I shouldn’t have followed this !

Ryujin turned back to the clinic. She took a deep breath and reached for the door.

”Oh my god, there you are!” Ryujin turned, finding a shaken Woozi running up to her. “You disappeared into the dark, it was so bizarre!”

Ryujin pointed behind him. Woozi turned and his jaw dropped, seeing the darkness.

”I hate this so much.” Woozi said while turning back to Ryujin.

Ryujin grabbed Woozi’s wrist and the two entered the clinic. Woozi clung to Ryujin, scanning his surroundings.

”So what are we going to do if we run into an evil spirit.”

”Try to freeze it.”

”Okay. I can try, trying is good.”

As if by fate familiar faces ran up to the two friends, coming from the darkness around them.

”Other people-“ A soft voice began to say.

Woozi let out a feminine shriek and gestured his hands towards the two men. They froze immediately.

”It’s them.” Ryujin responded. She turned to her scared friend, “unfreeze them.”

Woozi blinked, and the two boys unfroze. In front of the freezer stood two deshelved young men, Jiyoung and Daesung. 

“It’s her, the girl from the store.” Daesung said, nudging his quiet friend.

”I know, .”

Ryujin eyes the twos appearance, “what happened to you guys.”

”Doesn’t matter, do you know the way out?”

Ryujin motioned behind her, “straight that way.”

”Thank god, we have been trying to get out of here for hours,” Daesung looked behind him. “There is something here.”

Ryujin turned to Woozi, who stared straight ahead, eyes wide. Ryujin looked to where he was, and saw it.

It’s lanky arms swayed in the air, hanging low to the ground from its torso. It’s entire body a gray tint. The most unsettling feature was its large face, the mouth reaching the chest of the torso, wide open. It’s eyes were a bright red, black pupils dilated to the size of peas. It’s legs were short and stocky, shuffling across the floor. Shining from Jiyoung’s flashlights were its razor sharp fingernails, measured to exactly six inches.

Ryujin swatted at Woozi, “freeze it.”

”We need to go!” Daesung said, grabbing Ryujin and Woozi. Jiyoung picked up a rock and chucked it at the creature, it going right through its body. 

The creature stopped, looking down to where the rock passed through it. Its head shot up, rage taking over its facial expression. It let out a ear-splitting shriek and charged at the four.

”Woozi freeze it!” Ryujin screamed out.

Woozi rose his hands and gestured then towards the charging ghoul. It froze. 

“We should go now. Like right now.” Woozi said, never taking his eyes off the frozen creature. The two boys were shocked but willingly followed the unfazed friends back where they came.

Woozi finally turned away, the creature unfroze and continued its attack. 

Back home, Yoongi woke up, disoriented from the sudden awakening. 

The firebender looked around his room, his eyes stoping on solid red eyes staring at him. 

“Oh .” Yoongi sat up in his bed. The eyes following his movement. 

Yoongi slowly reached for the lighter on his desk, which he practiced with before going to bed. He started the flame, and willed it to illuminate the area. It was a failed attempt, the flame simply left the lighter and floated to the eyes, showing a dark red body attached the eyes. 

“Oh balls.”

The entity lunges at Yoongi, who rolls out of his bed. He retreats to the stationary flame floating in the air.

”You can’t get bigger?!”

Yoongi stared back at the red eyes, which were slowly advancing on him. Yoongi looked at the flame, willing it to grow larger. 

“Please!” He called. Yoongi placed his hand under the flame, “Grow!”

As if by luck the flame burst, showering Yoongi’s room in light. The creature let out a soft groan and covered its eyes.

”You don’t like fire, don’t ya?” Yoongi shot his hand towards the entity, the flame shooting in the same direction. “Consume that motherer!”

The fire draped over the entity, who cried in pain. Moments later, the fire had taken over the creature, leaving only a small scorch mark on the wood floor. 

“Awesome.” Yoongi said. The fire immediately dissipated.

Yoongi turned and opened his door. He called out to his friends, but got no answer. 

“Woozi I killed a ghost!” Yoongi walked to his friends room, finding it empty. “Ryujin?!”

Yoongi went to the living room, finding it empty. He entered the kitchen, empty as well. However, a piece of paper laid on the table. Yoongi picked it up and read it.

Woozi gestured towards the creature again, freezing it for the tenth time. 

“The door was right here.” Ryujin said, motioning towards a dark hallway. “This painting was at the entrance.”

”We’ve seen this painting ten times now.” Jiyoung replied, disappointed.

”I have to blink!” Woozi stated.

 The group started to run down the hall, which unfroze the creature.

 A few hallways later, Woozi gestured towards the creature again. However, the creature didn’t freeze. It lunged at the boy and slashed his chest, leaving a huge gash wound and ripped clothing. 

Woozi let out a cry of pain, which sprung Ryujin into action. With all her might, she kicked the creature in the stomach area. Daesung chucked his flashlight, startling the creature. Jiyoung picked up the wounded Woozi and the four fled. The creature right behind them. 

The four turned down another hallway. Woozi tried to freeze the creature again but nothing happened again.

”Is it immune now?” Woozi weakly asked.

”Probably.” Ryujin answered, leading the four down another hallway. 

Daesung turned to find no creature chasing them. The group stopped and took a second to breathe.

”We need to get him to a hospital,” Jiyoung said as he put Woozi down.

”We need to get out of here first.” Ryujin said.

The creature suddenly striked, slashing Jiyoung in the throat. The man grasped his throat, blood rushing out of the wound. 

“Jiyoung!” Daesung cried out. The creature wrapped its arm around Jiyoung and dragged him into the darkness. 

The remaining three huddled together, Ryujin cradling Woozi. 

Ryujin suddenly perked up.

Where the am I?

A smile appeared across her face. Woozi looked up at her, “you would smile at a time like this.”

Ryujin closed her eyes, trying to focus in the familiar voice. She wanted to speak to it, call for help. She had  to, for everyone’s sake.

“Can you hear me?”

What the hell was that?!

”Yoongi can you hear me?”

”Ryujin, Yoongi isn’t here.” Woozi replied. Ryujin hushed him. 

Ryujin can you-what the-

“Don’t ask how, you need to find us.”

Where are you?

”I don’t know.”

That helps.

”Focus-“  Ryujin gestured to her head. 

Wait! I hear you, like in the real world or whatever! I hear you. Whatever you just did, do it again! 

“I don’t know what I did.”

Figure it out!

Ryujin placed her fingers on both sides of her head, just above the temple area. “How about-“

I hear you! 

“Okay! Follow my voice.”

Guys?!” Yoongi called out. 

“Over here!” Ryujin screamed. 

Loud footsteps were heard before Yoongi ran up, almost tripping over the three huddled near the wall. 

Yoongi crouched down beside the wounded Woozi, reaching out to him. Woozi gave him a thumbs up.

”We are dealing with an evil entity thing.” Ryujin stated.

Yoongi rolled his eyes, “been there done that.”

”What?”

”You can say I told you so when we get you to a hospital.” Yoongi finally noticed Daesung, who was quiet and tearing up at the same time. “Hi.”

Daesung nodded his head.

The creature suddenly lunged from the darkness. Woozi instinctively motioned his hands, the creature froze. 

“It froze this time!” Ryujin said.

Yoongi took out his lighter and flicked it to create a flame. He smirked, “Burn .”

Yoongi raised his hand, the flame leaving the lighter and resting near his palm, then flicked it towards the creature. The flame floated towards the creature, then quickly grew in size, towering the ghoul.

”Well burn it!” Yoongi said to the flame, as if its alive.

The flame suddenly, and slowly, formed around the creature. Woozi’s froze broke, causing the ghoul to let out a shriek of agony as the flame consumes it. 

A moment later all that was left was a scorch mark, a foul smell lingering in the air as well. 

The darkness surrounding the four disappeared, revealing the entrance of the clinic just down the hall. Jiyoung’s body slumped against the wall near them. Daesung refused to look.

The next day, Seongchul entered Woozi’s hospital room. Woozi looked up from his book, his eyes widened.

”What’s with that look?” Seongchul asked.

Woozi blinked to adjust his eyes. Seongchul smiled and sat down at a chair positioned facing Woozi’s bed. 

“How’s the wound?”

”Same as yesterday, stitched and itchy.”

Seongchul nodded and rose. He opened his coat and reached into it to reveal a card. Woozi took it when it’s was handed to him.

”It’s from our department.”

Woozi opened the card and read it. He smiled.  “Thank you, S.Coups.”

Seongchul chuckled, “You can only say that now, because I feel bad for you.”

Woozi nodded, “Thank you.” Seongchul nodded.

”I should go. Get back to the office. Need anything, just call.” 

“I will.”

Seongchul nodded and left. A few hours later, Ryujin and Yoongi entered. 

“How’s it going?”

”How is the war wound?”

”Stitchy and itchy.”

Ryujin sat down beside Woozi and rubbed his exposed arm comfortingly. Yoongi fidgeted with the curtain beside Woozi’s bed. 

Woozi turned to Yoongi, “I told you so.”