Hatred (Part 1)

The Great Ones

Ryujin and Woozi walked together in the local grocery store. Ryujin pushed along a full cart of groceries.

Woozi looked around, “remember the empusa?”

”Of course I do.” Ryujin responded as she pulled the cart into a checkout aisle.

”Do you ever think of our past,” Woozi leaned in closer to whisper “vanquishes?”

”Sometimes.”

”Like, remember the first one. That ghost spirit thing that almost killed me.” 

“Yeah, that was so creepy.” 

Ryujin started to take items out of her cart and onto the conveyor belt. The conversation didn’t continue until the two left the cashier aisle with a cart of bagged groceries. 

“How about that Wendigo last month?” 

Ryujin nodded then remembered something, “how’s your new power coming? Getting the hang of it?”

Woozi sighed, “no.”

”You’ll get it eventually.”

”I hope. I’m sick of apologizing to Seongchul for erecting the barrier thing when I mean to freeze him.”

”You’re still doing that?”

Woozi smiled at Ryujin, wearing complete guilt on his face. Ryujin eyed him then shook her head. 

“He keeps trying to be all y and stuff, flexing and giving me eyes and stuff. You’d freeze him too if you could.”

The two exited the store and pushed the cart to Ryujin’s car. They began loading the trunk with groceries.

”The best part is,” Woozi added as he transfered groceries. “I erect the barrier right in front of him so half the time, he runs into it and he like smushes his entire body, half the time , into it and it looks so funny.” 

Ryujin chuckled, “nice.”

Just a few cars down, a woman and a man could be seen arguing.

”I thought I said to stop buying chips.” The woman said, holding two bags of chips in the man’s face. 

“They are low fat-“

”Do you think I care? I don’t want them in my house, I’ll eat them all.”

”I live there too, Dana.” The man said, crossing his arms over his chest. 

“Are you even listening to me? Take them back.”  

”No.”

”Then I’ll do it.” The woman named Dana said, beginning to walk towards the store. 

“Dana!” The man called.

Woozi and Ryujin had watched the entire event. The two looked at each other afterwards and sighed. 

“If you act like that woman. I’ll slap you to Timbuktu.” Woozi said.

Ryujin chuckled. The two turned back to the man, finding a cloaked figure standing beside him. The man didn’t seem to see him. 

“Where did-“ before Woozi could finish, the cloaked figure raised his hand and a red aura began to radiate around the man. 

“Hey!” Ryujin yelled, dropping the bag in her hand to rush at the cloaked figure. Woozi followed.

Ryujin smacked Woozi on the arm, “do something!” 

Woozi hesitated a moment, unsure his freezing power would work, but his hands raised. However, this gave the figure enough time to fade away. The red aura surrounding the man disappeared. The man seemed to be visually angered, more than before. Before Dana could even say another word when she returned, the man grabbed her by .

The man lifted her off the ground, squeezing as tight as he could. Dana thrashed in his grasp, trying to gasp for air. 

Ryujin lunged at the man, but her attack was useless. He was too strong and too sturdy to stun. The man didn’t take his eyes off of Dana, pure hatred in his eyes. Dana began to turn a light shade of purple. 

“Woozi!” Ryujin said, trying to pry apart the two. 

Woozi, hands raised at the man, looked around to make sure no one saw then flicked his hands. Suddenly, the transparent wall appeared behind the man. 

“!” 

Woozi flicked his hands again. This time, another wall appeared in front of him. Woozi began to panic. Dana’s stopped struggling. Ryujin was beginning to tire from her attempt at pulling them apart. 

Woozi flicked his hands as hard as he could. The man and Dana froze. Woozi sighed with relief. Ryujin stopped what she was doing then looked back at Woozi. 

Ryujin used all of her strength to pry the man’s fingers away from Dana’s throat. Eventually she was able to release his fingers from . Woozi saw a family appear from the store, walking to their car. Woozi flicked his hands again, unfreezing the man and Dana. 

Dana couldn’t believe what had happened. She just stared at the man with wide eyes. The man glared at her, his hands balled into fists, veins protruding from his neck. His eyes were completely black. Woozi went to Dana and led her back to their car. Ryujin stayed near the man, who just stared at Dana. Woozi returned beside Ryujin. 

“He hasn’t taken his eyes off of her.” Ryujin stated. Woozi nodded. 

Suddenly, sirens could be heard in the distance. The two looked back to see Dana holding her phone to her ear.

”They’re coming for you, !” Dana screamed.

The man tilted his head before charging at her, knocking Woozi and Ryujin aside. Before either of them could respond, the man grabbed Dana by her neck and placed his other hand around her head. Dana screamed and tried to escape his attack. Her hits to the mans face didn’t even faze him. He twisted her head until a loud snap could be heard. Dana stopped struggling, stopped screaming. The man released Dana, her body falling to the ground with a thud. He continued to stare at her with hatred. 

Woozi and Ryujin couldn’t believe what they just saw. They couldn’t believe they couldn’t save her in time. The cops appeared moments later, shouting at the man to get on the ground. Woozi and Ryujin hid behind their car. Suddenly, a loud growl echoed before a series of gunshots went off. 

Woozi and Ryujin peeked their heads out, finding the man dead on the ground. They looked at one another, completely shocked and mortified. 

After being interviewed by the police, they were able to get home. Yoongi sat on the living room couch, watching TV. He looked up when the two walked in.

”Did you get my ice cream?” Yoongi asked.

Woozi tossed a small tub of ice cream, which was beginning to melt, to Yoongi. “Here.”

”Thanks!” Yoongi opened it up, finding the ice cream melting. “Hey! It’s melting already.” 

“We watched someone die, Yoongi.” Ryujin answered, falling onto the couch. She covered her face with her hands. 

“What? What happened?” 

Woozi and Ryujin relayed what happened earlier to Yoongi. Yoongi set the ice cream down. 

“So we need to find this cloaked figure, otherwise this won’t be the last time this happens.”

”So what do you think he did anyway, Woozi?” Ryujin asked.

Woozi thought for a moment, “Well.” He sighed. “Maybe he did some sort of mind control, of he’s able to play on an existing emotion. The guy was already pretty upset. Maybe the figure made that a million times worse.”

”Which leads to murder? That’s pretty intense.”

”Whoever that cloaked thing was, we need to kill it. Soon.”