Rivalry (Part 2)

The Great Ones

Woozi entered the gas station, his pace quick. He smiled at the cashier who was checking out a customer. Woozi looked out the large window to see Xiumin drive off. Only a few cars were around, some filling gas into their vehicles, some inside the store getting snacks. Standing near one of the empty gas dispensers, the three strangers stood. The woman with the fiery stare held out her hand at the gas dispenser. A blue flame appeared in her palm. Woozi gasped and immediately ran out of the gas station.

The woman stopped her action, the blue flame still in her hand. The other woman instead flicked her hand at the gas dispenser. An static-like growl occured from within and a moment later, the dispenser’s gas handle shot out; it leaked gasoline. It didn’t reach far, just a few feet from where the strangers were standing.  

The next action the woman took was, she waved her hand over the flailing gas handle, severing it from its hose. The handle flew at Woozi, who side stepped to avoid it. It crashed through the window, shattering the glass, which gained the attention of everyone near the gas station. Woozi raised his hands to freeze the strangers, but in the blink of an eye; they were gone. 

Woozi lowered his hands and eyed the aftermath. Screaming from inside the store was heard. Woozi climbed through the broken window. The animated gas handle soared through the air, mindlessly attacking a customer and an employee. Woozi groaned then stretched his arms before running after the gas handle. 

—————

Yoongi and Ryujin pulled into the driveway of the address Woozi gave them. Woozi sat defeated on the porch stairs. 

The two exited Ryujin’s car and went over to him. They sat down beside him. 

“So what’s up?” Yoongi asked.

”Oh,” Woozi said, picking at the chipped wood porch beneath him, “you know. Doppelgängers.”

”So the man I saw was me? I’m a girl.” 

“And my doppelgänger is a girl, as is Yoongi’s. And they have similar powers like ours. However, different. My doppelgänger animates inanimate ‘things,’ yours can enter the minds of others, and the other girl controls blue flames.” 

“Oh. That’s it?” 

“So how do we defeat ‘us?’” 

“I don’t know.” Woozi said with a sigh. 

“Are they immune to our powers?”

”They can’t be, if I can freeze you two if I choose-“ 

“Then they can do the same.” 

“But my doppelgänger doesn’t freeze, she animates. So maybe that’s our plan of attack. Freeze then burn. Same as usual.” 

“What if they’re expecting that?” 

“Do we have any other options?” Woozi asked. He eyed his friends then nodded. “Then let’s do it.”  

————

Woozi, Ryujin and Yoongi stood in an empty room in an abandoned building.

Yoongi leaned against a wall and sighed. “So are we just supposed to assume they’ll find us?” 

“Pretty much.” Woozi answered. However, someone else had said the same thing. 

Entering from the doorway, the three doppelgängers walked in. They all held confident smiles. 

“Hello.” Yoongi’s doppelgänger said, nodding her head at the three. Suddenly, a wall of blue flame appeared in front of Woozi, Ryujin and Yoongi. The heat was intense. 

“What a greeting!” Ryujin said, shielding her face from the heat. 

“Can you put it out, Yoongi?!” Woozi asked. 

Yoongi tried to control the flames, but found his concentration broken as soon as he tried. Suddenly, two knifes shot through the flames, the blades heating up from the fire. Woozi froze them just in time, the blades meer inches away Yoongi. Yoongi stepped back. The flames subsided and the three doppelgängers walked forward. The blue flames around them tornadoed into Yoongi’s doppelgänger’s hand, forming a ball. 

Ryujin and Yoongi stood on each side of Woozi. 

“What do we do?” Ryujin asked.

”I don’t know.” 

“What do you mean you don’t know? You never not know!” Yoongi added.

Woozi ignored Yoongi’s remark and flexed his fingers. His thoughts ran wild. 

“Woozi!” 

Woozi let out a gruff then flicked his hands at the three doppelgängers. They froze, but immediately began to resist. 

“Now what?”

”We run.” Woozi said. 

“What?!” 

“Now. Go!” 

Woozi grabbed onto Ryujin and Yoongi’s hands and led them past the slowly resisting doppelgängers and out of the building. The three entered their car parked on the side of the road, then fled. Ryujin looked back at the building, seeing the three doppelgängers walking out of the building. They looked annoyed. 

—————

The three walked into the living room of their home. Ryujin threw her purse into the couch and sighed. She ran a hand through her hair. Yoongi stretched his neck. Woozi closed the front door behind him, he locked it and turned to his friends. 

“So we can expect them soon.” 

“Now what? Do we just accept defeat and let us kill us?” Yoongi said as he sat down in a chair. 

“They’re not us. They are just like us.” Woozi answered. 

“Seemingly stronger. Did you see those flames?” Ryujin added. She motioned to Yoongi, “can you do that?” 

“Probably. I don’t know! It wasn’t that amazing.” Yoongi said. He knew he couldn’t. He began to fidget with his fingers. Ryujin twirled a strand of her hair. Woozi was deep in thought. 

A knock on the front door made the three stop doing what they were doing. Ryujin and Yoongi eyed Woozi. 

“Just because I’m the closest.” Woozi exclaimed. “Rude.” 

Woozi took a deep breath before opening the door. Before he could react, a blue flame erupted in front of him. The impact sent him flying backwards. Yoongi and Ryujin immediately went to his side. Standing at the doorway, Yoongi’s doppelgänger juggled blue strands of flames. Appearing from the kitchen, Ryujin’s doppelgänger stepped out with an evil smirk on his face. Woozi’s doppelgänger came from the hall of their bedrooms. 

Woozi shook his head, just slightly dazed from the combustion. 

“You’re lucky to be alive.” Yoongi said to Woozi, helping him up. “And unscathed.” 

“You’re welcome!” Yoongi’s doppelgänger added, smiling at the three with glee. “I want to watch you burn in slow searing flames.”

Yoongi stood in front of his friends, fire conjured in his hands. “Let’s see you fight me, .” 

“You just called yourself a .” Ryujin commented, taking the dazed Woozi from Yoongi. 

“Not helping.” Yoongi muttered before throwing the fire at his double. She easily blocked the flames, using the strands of fire around her hands as a shield. 

“Much to popular belief, fire doesn’t really fight fire!” Woozi said. 

Ryujin turned to her doppelgänger, finding him slowly walking towards her and Woozi. Woozi had already begun staring down his double. Ryujin released Woozi, who stumbled to stay balanced. Ryujin’s doppelgänger chuckled at her.

”You already know you can’t enter my mind.” Her double said. 

Woozi’s doppelgänger waved her hand over the wood beneath her, it sprang to life and shot out at Woozi. Woozi threw himself to the right to evade the attack. The wood crashed into the couch and shattered. He tried to freeze her, but she simply laughed at the attempt. 

Yoongi continued hurling fireballs at his double, but she had easily blocked each one. She used her free hand to weave a ball of blue fire. 

“Nothing we do does anything!” Yoongi yelled, throwing more balls of fire at his double. 

“Woozi, what do we do?” Ryujin asked, stepping back from her double who stepped closer. 

Woozi eyed the three doppelgängers, who grew closer to the three. He eyed his two friends. Woozi eyed Yoongi’s double then flicked his hand at her. A barrier erected in front of her, resulting in her walking right into it. Her face smushing in the process, and her fireball extinguishing itself. Yoongi caught on and turned to Ryujin’s double, he conjured a fireball and threw it at him. The double didn’t see it coming and was sent flying back as the ball combusted as it hit him. Ryujin turned to Woozi’s double and lunged at her, dodging an animated plank of wood in the process. She kicked at the woman’s stomach, stunning her. 

Yoongi continued hurling fireballs at the man, one eventually connecting and burning his skin. Before the double could react, another fireball hit his face. He screamed in pain and held his hands near his burned face. Yoongi walked up to him and focused power into his hands before tapping a finger to the doubles arm. He immediately turned to ash.

Woozi flicked his hand at Yoongi’s doppelgänger, freezing her. She immediately began to resist, but it was enough. Woozi flicked both of his hands with gusto at her, creating a barrier inside her. Her body split in two before turning to dust. 

Ryujin dodged another flying plank, then sent a flurry of punches and kicks at Woozi’s doppelgänger. The moment she saw an opening she focused her energy into the woman’s mind. 

You know what to do. Bury yourself.

Suddenly, Woozi’s double animated several planks and covered herself in them. Yoongi and Woozi joined her side. After her entire body was covered, they began to cave in on themself. All that was left was dust and broken wood. 

Woozi, Ryujin and Yoongi all let out a sigh then trudged to the living room couch. They all sat down. 

Ryujin grabbed the tv remote and the tv, “So, what are we watching?” 

“How to get away with murdering yourself.” 

“Crime shows it is.” 

—————

Woozi stared at a frozen Seongchul. He stared up at his boss from his desk. He sighed then waved his hand, unfreezing his boss. 

“Why won’t you give me a chan-“ Seongchul paused then sighed. “Did you-“ Woozi rose his hand at Seongchul. “Okay okay. Fine. I’ll leave.” Woozi watched him retreat to his office. 

WooHee walked over a minute later, “again?” Woozi nodded. “Did you,” she leaned in so no one could hear her, “freeze him?” 

“I sure did.” 

“Good.” WooHee said with a smile. “So want to get dinner after work? I’m totally craving Thai.” 

“Sure.” 

“Cool. I’ll see you later then, got to finish this assignment.” WooHee said before returning to her desk. 

Woozi rose from his chair and stretched. He grabbed a file he just finished writing. He looked out a window to the bright day. 

A strange figure with black wings flew through the sky. It landed on a distant building’s rooftop. Woozi groaned and set his file back on his desk. He turned to one of his coworkers. 

“I’m taking my lunch early.”