Skinwalker (Part 2)

The Great Ones

Yoongi fell onto the motel bed with a grunt. Woozi rubbed his bruised side as he sat in a chair near the bed. Ryujin carried in the last of the bags.

The room had two beds, with an end table in-between. On top of the end table was a lamp, with several outlets in the base. The bathroom was in the far left corner of the room, the vent was running and the door was ajar. The scent of bathroom cleaner radiated around the room. There was a TV across from the beds, connected to the wall. It was a 50 inch. 

”Well,” Yoongi said as he stared at the ceiling. “So much for a vacation.”

Ryujin kicked her luggage towards the second bed and sighed. “Any idea who she was?”

Woozi shrugged, “no idea.”

”So she has no face and is like a crazy acrobat.”

”Maybe the employee saw something.” Woozi added.

”She ran away screaming, and considering the cops are now here investigating, it would take a little to talk to her about this alone.”

”And we are only here for two days.”

Yoongi sat up, he wore a guilty smile “we could just forget this and have fun then continue our road trip.”

Ryujin and Woozi looked at him then looked away. Woozi got an idea.

”Can you control the officers to leave the area, just for a few minutes, so I can talk with her?”

”I can try.”

The three left their motel room and eyed the scene below them. They were on the second floor, looking out at the parking lot. Several cop cars were littered throughout the lot, a couple officers scanned the premises while a few interviewed the employees.

Ryujin took a deep breath. Woozi patted her on the back and the two walked down to the first level. Ryujin focused in on several of the officers surrounding the attacked employee. 

Let the girl go to the bathroom. She probably hasn’t gone for awhile. Let her take a moment to breathe. 

Suddenly, the officers walked away. Woozi nodded and went towards the employee. Woozi noticed the name Jinsoul on her name tag on her shirt. Jinsoul began to turn away. 

“Excuse me, Jinsoul?” Woozi called. 

Jinsoul jumped slightly at Woozi’s voice then turned. “Yes?”

”Do you mind if I ask you one question?” Jinsoul looked at where the officers went then shrugged. “Thanks.” Woozi led Jinsoul to one of the empty cop cars to chat. 

“Aren’t you one of the people who-“

”Yes.”

”You should talk to the cops about what happened.” 

“I will,” He was lying. “However, I need to ask you one question. Did you get a good look at the woman’s face?” 

Jinsoul looked down for a moment then shook her head, “you wouldn’t believe me.” 

“Try me.”

Jinsoul looked up at him and into his eyes, “she looked just like me.”

”She did?” 

“Then when she lunges at me, her face kind of-“

”She didn’t have a face, like it was just skin, right?”

”Exactly!” 

Woozi nodded, “great.”

”You should really talk to the cops-“

Woozi looked to Ryujin, who was watching the two. Ryujin walked over as she focused on Jinsoul. 

You have to pee really bad. You need to go so bad that’s all you care about. 

Jinsoul stopped speaking then apologized for running off towards a bathroom. Ryujin and Woozi returned to the second floor where Yoongi leaned against the railing looking out to the lot. 

“They asked me if I saw anything.” Yoongi said, gesturing his head to the cop just a few doors down talking to another resident. 

“So what did she say?” Ryujin asked Woozi. 

Woozi sighed and thought for a moment. Yoongi continued to stare at the scene below. Ryujin watched the cop talking to the resident. 

Woozi ran a hand through his hair then touched his face. He took out his phone and began searching the internet. 

“I can’t believe we are now consulting the internet.” Yoongi muttered.

”Shut up.”

Woozi nodded and put his phone away, “okay. I have a few theories.” 

“Well?”

”Doppelgänger was my intial thought, but they don’t have no face. So that’s not it. Maybe, as work with me here, this girl has the ability to create a copy of herself, but the fact it attacked her cancels out that theory. So when I went on the internet, I looked up local myths around the area.”

”And?@

“It is most likely a Skinwalker, who is able to take the form of anything it sees.” 

“Great.”

”It lives in areas like those around us. The canyon we passed a little while ago is a good start.” Woozi added. 

“Let’s go.” Ryujin said. The boys nodded.

Ryujin and the boys got into the rental car and drove to the canyon they passed before arriving at the motel. Ryujin parked the car in one of the few parking spots. The group exited the car and scanned the area. 

“This looks not at all creepy.” Yoongi said.

The sun was beginning to set, darkening the canyon. No tourists were in the area, there was little sound. The canyon shot down several hundred feet, darkness filled the bottom. 

“Hear anything?” Woozi asked Ryujin. Ryujin shook her head. Woozi turned to Yoongi, and that’s when terror set in. Behind Yoongi stood Yoongi, however there was no face. It began to enter a pouncing stance. Woozi pulled the real Yoongi by the arm behind him. 

Ryujin and Yoongi faced what Woozi was seeing. Yoongi quickly conjured a flame in his palm. The other Yoongi hissed, it’s face looking the same as Yoongi’s now. It backed up before sprinting off the opposite way. The three chased after it. Yoongi extinguished his flame just in case a car passed by. 

“So it’s definitely a Skinwalker!” Woozi yelled.

”Can you freeze it?” 

“It’s too strong, it won’t last long or at all!” 

The Skinwalker suddenly its heels and lunged at the three, aiming more towards Ryujin. It’s face now was blank again, before forming into Woozi’s. 

Ryujin yelped as it lunged, barely cutting her arm in the process as it passed by. The attack was enough to bring Ryujin to the ground. 

Woozi attempted to freeze the Skinwalker, but nothing happened. Yoongi conjured fire and set a ball of fire sailing at the creature. It dodged the fireball then lunged at Woozi, tackling him to the ground. Yoongi conjured fire once more and fashioned it into a dagger, surprising himself at the attempt. Yoongi urged it to fly at the creature, the dagger left Yoongi’s hand and sailed at the monster. 

The Skinwalker was able to avoid a full-on stab, but Yoongi assumed that. Yoongi smirked as he snapped his finger. The dagger, just as it passed by the creature, exploded. The explosion sent the Skinwalker flying towards Yoongi, who held his open hand out at it. 

Yoongi focused his energy on his hand and as soon as the creature touched his hand, it disintegrated into ash. Woozi and Ryujin rose to their feet. 

Yoongi let out a loud sigh then kicked the ashes away, a passing wind carrying them with it. Ryujin patted Yoongi on the back. Woozi smiled at Yoongi. 

“Can we get a drink now?” Yoongi asked, wiping his wet forehead. 

Ryujin and Woozi rolled their eyes with a smile. 

The next morning, Ryujin and Yoongi stood outside their motel room. The parking lot, now slightly more full of cars due to the news of the attack, was bustling and several tourists walked around. Woozi was still asleep. 

“What is she thinking?” Yoongi asked, pointing to a woman with her boyfriend. 

“Woman problems.” 

“Like what?”

Ryujin looked at Yoongi, “blood flowing out of her-“

”Say no more” 

Ryujin chuckled. Eventually, Woozi awoke. He found a few missed calls from Seongchul. 

Woozi put his phone to his ear as he dialed Seongchul. 

“Hello?” Seongchul greeted, his voice groggy.

”Hey.” Woozi said with a smile. 

There was some shifting coming through the phone, “Hey.” Seongchul said, now sounding wide awake. 

“Sorry I didn’t call you. Got caught up with magic stuff.”

”Are you safe?”

”Yeah,” Woozi smiled. “Just a Skinwalker.” 

“A what?”

”Look it up,” Woozi said with a chuckle. 

Ryujin entered the motel room, nodding at Woozi before going into the bathroom. Yoongi walked in a moment later with a sigh. 

“Well, we are going to explore this place a bit. Probably kill some more monsters and spirits and demons and stuff.” Woozi said as he fidgeted with the blankets. 

“I don’t need to know that part.” 

“I know.” Woozi said with a sly smile. 

“Well, I’ll let you do that. Call me later?”

”Of course.” Woozi and Seongchul said their goodbyes then hung up. Yoongi eyed Woozi. Woozi eyed him back. “What?”

”Do you guys have phone ?”

”What?!” 

“Just curious.”

”Yoongi,” Woozi sighed then shook his head “shut up.”