The Haunting Part 1

The Great Ones

A woman flipped the light switch up, illuminating a clean living room. She walked passed a picture of an old man staring stoically ahead, like he was watching everything in the room. The woman was about to leave the room when she heard a faint whisper behind her.

”Sana.” 

Sana turned and found no source of the voice. She continued on her path, her speed picking up. 

Sana walked into the kitchen, the island full of groceries. Mostly soda, alcohol and snacks. 

“Sana,” the voice called again. It was coming from the living room. Sana jumped when she heard it. She swore she heard footsteps and a cane hitting the floor for a good minute, all coming from the living room. 

“Hello?” Sana called out. There was no response. Sana took out her phone and dialed a number, a man picked up. “Are you almost here?”

”Pulling into the long drive way now. Calm down.”

”Okay.” Sans hung up and exited out the back door to meet the man. As she passed by the living room, out of the corner of her eye she saw the old man from the picture staring at her, pressing against the window. Sana turned to get a complete look to find nothing. 

Woozi sighed as he stood outside in a hallway. He checked his phone for the time then started to pace. There were loud voices coming from a room to his left, one being Seongchul. 

Woozi leaned against the wall adjacent to the room, “how much longer is this going to take?”

As if by luck, the voices stopped. Woozi stood up straight and watched as multiple suited men exited the room, one being Seongchul. His boss walked up to him and smiled.

”Well?”

Seongchul chuckled “I owe you coffee.”

Woozi let out a “woo.” Seongchul rolled his eyes and started to walk off. Woozi followed behind him. 

As the two turned a corner in the hall, a woman bumped into Woozi. The boy stumbled back, and the woman fell to the ground. There phones fell to the ground. Seongchul turned immediately. Woozi reached out his hand to the girl when he realized what happened. 

The girl looked up at him and smiled, her cheeks turning a light shade of pink. She took his hand and let him pull her up, “thanks.” The two grabbed the phones. 

Woozi nodded “of course. Sorry for bumping into you-“

”Sana.”

”Sana. I’m sorry, again, but I got to go.” Woozi walked past her then turned his head and called out to her, “Sorry!” 

Sana smiles wide and continued on her way. 

Seongchul lessened his pace to walk beside Woozi, he nudged him. Woozi nudged him back.

”She was so smitten.”

”Who says smitten anymore?”

”Shut up.”

”And we both know I don’t lean that way.” Woozi added.

The two stopped at the elevator. Woozi reached into his pocket for his phone, and pulled out a red phone instead. 

“That isn’t your phone.” 

Woozi sighed, “it’s probably the girls. I’ll meet you down there, sorry.”

Seongchul poked Woozi’s forehead “I’ll forgive you this time.”

Woozi nervously chuckled then ran off. Seongchul smiled at him. 

Woozi went back to where he bumped into Sana. He looked around and found an open meeting room. He peeked his head in to find Sana and another man talking to one another. 

Woozi was about to walk in when another man, older and with a cane, suddenly materialized behind Sana. Woozi blinked a few times to process what he saw. The old man leaned in close to Sana’s ear and whispered. 

Sana shuddered and turned, but didn’t notice the old man standing right behind her. Woozi’s presence was finally known when the man looked at the door. 

“Can we help you?” He asked Woozi. Sana turned and smiled.

Woozi dug into his pocket and held out Sana’s phone. “I think we mixed up our phones.”

Sana produced his phone from her pocket then walked over to him. The old man glided over, Woozi immediately pulled her towards him; receiving a shriek from the girl. The old man was shocked that he was being seen. 

Woozi realized what he did and let go of Sana. Sana’s friend was already by her side. Woozi chuckled and pointed up at the ceiling, “though I saw a spider falling from the ceiling.”

Sana looked to her friend then to Woozi. Woozi switched phones then walked off. Sana followed immediately after him. 

“Wait!” She called. Woozi couldn’t pretend to not hear her, as they were the only two in the hall. He stopped and turned.

Sana ran up to him. Woozi watched as the old man appeared by her side. Sana looked to where he was looking, seeing nothing. 

“Something wrong?” Sana asked.

Woozi looked back to her and shook his head, “no. Sorry. Just have to get back to my boss. Okay, bye!” 

“Wait!” Sana grabbed his arm. Woozi swore under his breath then turned to face her. 

The old man suddenly leaned in to whisper something again to Sana. The girl shuddered again and seemed visually disturbed.

”Will you stop that?!” Woozi snapped.

Sana looked at him with confusion. “What?”

The old man smiled and disappeared. Woozi chuckled again then froze her.  Woozi looked around then sighed. 

“Okay. I know you’re still here.” Woozi called out. A moment later, the old man returned beside Sana. “Hello.” The old man nodded his head. “I know you can speak.” The old man shook his head then turned to Sana. “What?” The old man reached out with his cane, but frowned when it went right through her. “Stop that!” The old man looked at him then lowered his cane. “Now speak before I find a way to vanquish you.” The old man shook his head and motioned his cane at Sana. “What?” He tapped his cane near her then eyes Woozi. “Unfreeze her?” The old man nodded. Woozi motioned his hands at Sana and she unfroze, completely unfazed. Woozi looked at the man and he leaned in to her. Sana shuddered again and immediately turned to face him. However, she couldn’t see him. 

The old man turned to look at Woozi, who was shocked at the interaction. Sana looked back at Woozi “Is something wrong?” She asked. 

“No.” Woozi replied, his eyes still on the old man. Suddenly, the old man hobbled over to Woozi. Woozi had to stop himself from staring. 

“You just left so abruptly, just wanted to make sure-“

The old man leaned into Woozi and tried to whisper into his ear, but Woozi couldn’t hear anything. Woozi turned his head to him. “I can’t hear-“ then it hit him. 

Woozi froze Sana again. He turned to the old man, taking a step back in the process. “Is she a spirit whisperer? Or maybe it’s a power,” Woozi looked puzzled. The old man smiled. “I don’t know.” 

Woozi unfroze Sana, who noticed Woozi had moved from where she last saw him. She looked at him with confusion. Woozi had a huge smile on his face. The man from before walked up, wrapping his arm around her waist. Sana wiggled out and gave him a look. 

“We need to go.” The man said to Sana. He gave Woozi a glare before whisking Sana away. 

The old man turned to Woozi, waved goodbye then began to disappear. 

“Wait!” Woozi said. The old man stopped disappearing and eyed him. “Who are you?” The old man thought for a moment before pointing at a plant hanging on the wall. “Plant?” The old man shook his head. “Green?” The old man nodded before disappearing. Woozi was going to call out to Sana, but didn’t think it’d be a good idea at the moment. 

When Woozi got home, he called out to his friends. Ryujin was the only one home. She walked in and greeted him. 

“We got a spirit to find.” Woozi said, grabbing his laptop that was charging on the table. He sat down in front of it. 

“Well it has been a good solid week of no magical . About time something happened.” Ryujin joined him at the table. 

“Ran into a ghost.”

”That’s it?”

”No. I think, not entirely sure, that he was trying to tell me to look up a name. Green.”

”There are a lot of Greens. Woozi-“

”Found him!” 

“How?!”

Woozi pointed at the screen. He typed in “green” in obituaries on the local funeral site, and the site displayed his obituary. 

“Of course you’d find him. Geek.”

”Shut up.”

Woozi read over his obituary. He pointed at a familiar name, Sana. 

“Whose’ that?” 

“I ran into her today. Flirted with me like a desperate housewife.”

”Awesome. What about her?”

”She’s his granddaughter.” Woozi closed out of the obituary and opened social media. He typed in her name and found her almost immediately. 

“You are good at stalking people.”

Woozi scanned through her profile then smiled “and she works at the office I was at.”

”Okay. So what now?”

”Let’s go tomorrow, I have off.”

”I’ll call off.”

”Okay. Yoongi has summer finals, so let’s not involve him. I don’t think the ghost is evil.”

”So what is so special about this Sana girl?”

Woozi shrugged “I have a few theories.”

”And those would be.”

”She’s a medium and doesn’t know it. Her grandfather is trying to tell her something, so maybe he can move on; or she has the ability to hear spirits.”

”Which one makes more sense?”

”All of them. I don’t know.”

”Well we will go tomorrow. I need to get to work. See you later tonight.” Ryujin patted Woozi on his head before leaving.