When in Wendigo (Part 2)

The Great Ones

Woozi awoke from what seemed to be a deep sleep, a sharp pain in his neck. He rubbed where the pain seemed to be. 

His surroundings were covered in complete darkness, save for a faint light that creeped out from the bottom of a door. Woozi went towards the light. He felt the door, feeling cold steel. When he went for the door handle, he found it locked.

”Cuz’ that would be too easy.” Woozi said to himself. 

A huff occurred behind him. Woozi turned immediately, back to the door. He peered into the darkness, but couldn’t see anything. 

“Hello?” Woozi called out, his voice trembling.

Yoongi and Ryujin pulled back into the driveway. They immediately noticed the open front door, finding it surprising Woozi left it open for the entire time they were gone. The two exited their car and entered to the living room. 

“Woozi?!” Yoongi called out, there was no response. “Did he walk get breakfast?”

”We would have seen him.” Ryujin walked into her bedroom and found her window shattered, and broken glass scattered throughout. “Yoongi!” 

Yoongi ran in and saw the broken window and glass. “That doesn’t look good.” 

“Try calling him.” 

Yoongi took out his phone, but found no signal. He went back into the living room.

”Any ideas?” Yoongi called out.

Ryujin exited her room and sighed, “not one.” 

“Fantastic.”

The two sat down and began to think of what could have happened. Ryujin was the first to speak. “Let’s go ask the cabin down the road. Maybe they’ve seen him.”

”That’s a long shot.”

”It’s all we got.”

Ryujin and Yoongi closed the front door behind them as they left. They got into their car and drove to the next cabin. Ryujin got out to knock, but there was no need. An elderly woman sat on the steps to the front door, reading a book. 

“Excuse me?” Ryujin said. The woman didn’t look up. “Ma’am?” Still no response. “Grandma?” At this point, Yoongi has joined Ryujin. 

“Maybe she’s deaf or hard of hearing?”

Ryujin nodded and went up to the woman. She waved her hand in her direction, trying to get her attention. It worked. The woman seemed shocked, seeing two strangers standing before her. She turned a small dial on her hearing aid. 

“Yes?” She said, eyeing the two. 

“I’m sorry for bothering you. Have you seen our friend by chance, short, fair skin, messy dirty blonde hair?”

The woman shook her head, “no, sorry.” Ryujin nodded before turning around. The woman watched her saddened state, “honey?”

Ryujin turned, “Yes?”

”The only thing that’s happened around here is the same old red sedan coming up and down this here dirt road for the past hour. There was another man in the backseat this time, instead of the two in the front seat. But when they came back through, he was gone. I don’t know if that could help-“

”Do you know if this car has a cabin here?!” Yoongi asked.

The woman shrugged. Ryujin elbowed him then spoke, “Do you know which way you last saw the car go?” The woman pointed back where their cabin was. “Thank you so much.” 

Ryujin and Yoongi got back into their car and drove. Yoongi sighed, “are we sure about this?” 

“What else do we have to go on? It sounded suspicious, and that’s all we have to go on right now.”

”Have you tried to hear for Woozi’s thoughts?” 

“Yeah. Nothing.” 

After arriving back at their cabin, the two began to search the nearby area. 

Yoongi walked through the woods near the cabin, looking for any kind of sign. Ryujin went around the cabin, to the back area. 

Ryujin stepped over a fallen tree. As she continued, a faint voice echoed in her mind. 

Two left. Two left, then we can relax. 

Ryujin stopped in her track and examined the area. There was just a dirt path leading into another woodsy area. Yoongi joined her a moment later.

”I heard something.”

”Yeah? What?” 

“It was faint, but I think it has to do with us.” 

“Us? Why us?” Ryujin shrugged. Yoongi sighed, “great.” 

Ryujin pointed to the path, “that way most likely.” 

Yoongi nodded, “alright. You ready?” 

Ryujin shrugged again, “I guess.” Yoongi patted her on the back and the two started down the dirt path. 

It was a good ten minutes until something of interest caught the two’s attention. A red flag was bolted to a tree. 

“Who bolts a flag to a tree?” Ryujin asked.

”Who knows, well let’s continue.” 

Yoongi led the way, Ryujin not far behind. Another voice appeared in her mind, it was louder.

We will hit tonight, try to take them both. Okay, sounds good. I hope the boss likes the idea. I just want to get home. 

Ryujin grabbed Yoongi by the arm, “I hear them again.” 

“And?”

”Let’s go back to the cabin.” 

“What, why?” 

“So we can meet our soon-to-be kidnappers.” 

That night, Ryujin and Yoongi hid in the darkness of the cabin. Yoongi was in his bedroom, behind a door. Ryujin stood in the shower. The cabin was quiet for a good while until a noise caught the two’s attention. It sounded like the front door handle jiggling. 

Remember the plan. Yoongi said in his mind, knowing Ryujin was listening. 

Two dark figures entered the cabin, after lock picking the front door. Each held an assault rifle in their hands. They took gentle steps until reaching the living room. One entered Ryujin’s room, the other entered Yoongi’s. They were confused and disappointed to find no sign of the two. They regrouped back in the living room. 

“Where are they?” One whispered to another. 

“Now, how would I know?” 

At this point, Ryujin was peeking out from the bathroom. Yoongi had left his hiding spot and was about to enter the living room.

Now.

Ryujin stepped out from the bathroom, “Hey, boys.” She said. The two turned to her, guns raised. “I think you have something of ours.” 

Yoongi snuck up behind them and focused power into his hands. He lightly tapped the of the rifles from behind, which alerted the two men. When they went to raise their guns at him, they found them gone. Beside their feet were ashy remains of their rifles. 

Yoongi snapped his fingers, summoning two wisps of flames. The supernatural act startled the two men. 

“Now, why don’t you take us to our friend. We’d like him back.” Ryujin said, a sly smile on her face. 

The two men had no choice. They led Ryujin and Yoongi through the dirt path behind their cabin. When they reached the red flag, one of the men pulled it down. A small hatch, hidden underneath dirt to their right slowly opened. 

Ryujin focused her energy on the two men. Now you’re so tired, you should fall asleep right here and not wake up for at least eight hours. 

The two men nonchalantly went prone on the ground and closed their eyes. Seconds later, they were fast asleep. 

Ryujin was the first to go down the hatch. She scanned the hallway as soon as she touched solid ground while Yoongi made his way down. 

The hallway was dimly light, only a few lights hung from the ceiling. The nearest sign read ‘Lab.’ 

“So, we split up or stick together.” 

“This ain’t no horror movie, we can split up. If you find Woozi, let me know. I’ll keep myself open.” 

“How will I know if you have him?”

”I’ll tell you.” 

“Oh yeah, forgot you could do that.” 

“Me too honestly.” 

The two nodded at each other before going separate ways. 

Ryujin turned the corner, finding two men, one in a lab coat and another in athletic clothing, conversing. She hid in the hallway she came from and sighed. She closed her eyes and focused on to the two.

You both need to use the bathroom so bad, in fact you might poop yourself if you don’t.

Ryujin heard footsteps running away from her position. She smiled. She peeked out to find the two men gone. She continued down the hall.

Yoongi took only a few steps before literally running into a man. Yoongi yelped. 

“Whoa, sorry!” The man said. However, when he finally got a look at Yoongi, his tone changed. “Who the hell are-“

Before the man could finish, Yoongi placed his palm on the guys chest. Suddenly, the man combusted into flames. Yoongi watched him panic and freak out. Yoongi took this opportunity to get a good punch in at his face. The man fell to the ground on impact. Yoongi waved his hand over the flames, which Yoongi manipulated into being harmless, then extinguished them. He continued down the hall. 

Ryujin and Yoongi bumped into each other, very confused. Another hallway in front of them was the only way to go now, aside from a metal door to their right. 

“Is this a circle?” 

“Apparently.” 

“I’ll check the door.” Yoongi said.

Inside were a series of bunk beds. Some men were asleep in them. Yoongi closed the door slowly. 

“The hallway it is then.”

The two ran down the hall. As if on cue, an alarm rung. The two looked at one another.

”Who set that off?” Yoongi asked. Ryujin looked up at the ceiling, noticing a camera pointed at them. She pointed at it. Yoongi saw it and immediately used a flame to melt it. “Well there goes our sneaky approach.” 

“Let’s find Woozi and get out of here.” 

The two ran further down the hall, and almost right into the arms of four armed men. Yoongi clapped his hands together, summoning a wave of flame and shooting it at them. The men didn’t have time to react, as they were flung back as the wave combusted right in front of them. 

“That’s new.” Ryujin said.

”I’ve got a lot up my sleeve, honey.” 

“Call me honey again, I dare you.” 

Yoongi flipped her off. They passed the four dazed men. Along the way, Yoongi combusted and melted cameras as they went by. Another set of men appeared. This time, Ryujin focused her mind before Yoongi could act. 

Drop your weapons and fight yourselves.

The men suddenly dropped their weapons and begun fighting with one another. The two slipped by. 

All the commotion could be heard from wherever Woozi was. He leaned against a wall. 

“About time.” He said aloud. 

Ryujin and Yoongi ran further ahead. Woozi’s voice suddenly appeared in Ryujin’s head.

If you can hear me, I’m behind some metal door. I’ll start banging. 

“I hear him!” Ryujin stated to Yoongi. 

“Where is he?!”

”Just keep your ears open for banging and a metal door.” 

Not long after, the two were in front of a large metal door. Faint banging could be heard from inside. Yoongi focused power to his fingertip as he tapped the door. It disintegrated. Woozi looked stunned for a second before smiling at his friends. 

A figure appeared behind him suddenly, antlers protruding from its head. Yoongi gasped and summoned a ball of fire. 

“Behind you!” Yoongi said before flinging the fire at the figure. 

Woozi’s eyes widened and he raised his arm to receive the fireball. Woozi hissed in pain as it burned him. 

“Woozi! Why’d-“

”He’s friendly, you !” Woozi said while gripping his burned arm. 

“Oh,” Yoongi said with a light chuckle. 

Behind Woozi, more like hiding behind him, stood a six foot seven furry creature. It’s face was covered in dark fur. A pair of green eyes were hidden beneath the fur. Two sharp teeth glistened in the light, protruding from its lips. On top of its head were a set of wooden antlers. It’s body was also covered in fur, but was surprisingly muscular in build. It’s legs were not as hairy, but were also muscular. It’s feet were human-like, but with a good amount of dark hair. Its hands were the least hairy, almost appearing human. A loincloth covered its private area. 

“So,” Ryujin eyed the creature. “What’s that?”

Woozi looked back, “ever heard of a Wendigo?”

”Yeah, I’m guessing that’s a Wendigo.” Yoongi responded. 

“Believe it or not, this is a baby Wendigo.”

Ryujin eyed the Wendigo up and down. “How?!”

Woozi shrugged. The Wendigo gently gripped Woozi’s burned arm. Woozi looked up at it, “I’ll be okay.” The Wendigo released him and huffed.

”So are we taking it with us?” Yoongi asked.

”Yes. It doesn’t believe here. It needs its family.” 

“How do you know this.” 

“These men, whoever they are, weren’t very concerned with keeping information from me. Plus, I got one of the lab scientists to tell me.”

”How?”

”I escaped here, scared them with my power and forced the scientist to tell me or I’d kill him.”

”Wait,” Ryujin said. “You escaped?”

Woozi nodded, “like a long time ago. I couldn’t leave this kid though.”

”Will it come with us?”

Woozi looked up at it, “will you?”

The Wendigo huffed and nodded. 

The four made their way down the hall they came from. There was no resistance to be found whatsoever, so the group escaped up the hatch. 

Woozi was the last to climb out of the hatch. A suddenly felt a cold metal touch his forehead.

”Slowly now.” A deep gravely voice commanded. 

Woozi sighed then slowly exited the hatch. He joined his friends and the Wendigo, who hid behind the boy. Woozi held his hands up, just as Ryujin and Yoongi were doing. 

A muscular man, wearing a muscle shirt and cargo pants aimed a pistol at the group. Over fifteen men with weapons surrounded them, all their guns aimed as well. 

“Now, no sudden movements. And no using those fancy abilities you freaks have.” The man aimed his gun at Woozi first. “That means no open palms,” he aimed it at Yoongi, “no snapping or flicking of your fingers,” and then at Ryujin, “and no closing your eyes.” He then aimed it at the Wendigo, “or it dies.” 

“What do you want?” Yoongi asked.

The man eyed Yoongi, “to take my prize here,” he motioned to the Wendigo, “and leave. Can we agree on that?” 

“He’s not a prize.” Woozi said with gritted teeth. 

The man aimed his gun at Woozi. “Say that again.”

Woozi glared the man. Ryujin and Yoongi eyed Woozi with concern. 

“He-“ before Woozi could finish his sentence, the man pulled the trigger. Woozi opened his palms, hoping to freeze just in time. 

No one was frozen. However, the bullet was stuck. What was even more bizarre was the fact that it looked like there was a translucent wall just in front of Woozi. Just wide enough to cover his entire body. The bullet was lodged inside, creating a crack in the apparent translucent wall. Woozi couldn’t believe what he saw. The bullet was just about eight inches from his face, lodged into something that he couldn’t explain. This moment was all Ryujin needed, seeing as everyone was focused on Woozi. She closed her eyes, trying to stretch her energy to the fifteen armed men around herZ

You all hate this man. You all know that saving the Wendigo is what is best. You’ll aim your guns at him and join our side. It’s what you truly want. 

As if on cue, the fifteen men suddenly shifted their guns to aim at the leader. He tried firing another bullet at Woozi at this point, but the bullet just was lodged into another section of the translucent wall, creating another crack. 

Yoongi took the moment to conjure and fling a fireball at the man. It hit him and sent him flying backwards, he combusted immediately. Ryujin, who still had her eyes closed, focused back onto the men. 

Shoot one another, you know it’s for the best. 

Suddenly, all fifteen of the men shot off their guns in unison at one another. All fell, dead. 

“I guess we couldn’t really have spared them.” Woozi said, his eyes still glued to the translucent wall cracked with bullets. He stepped out of the way, as did the Wendigo, and the wall suddenly shattered and the bullets continued their journey and hit a nearby tree; as if nothing had stopped them before. 

Woozi turned to the Wendigo, “you’re free now.” The Wendigo took a step towards Woozi and looked down at him. Woozi looked up with a smile.

”Be safe.” Woozi said.

The Wendigo reached up to its antler and snapped off a piece of the end. It handed it to Woozi, who happily accepted it, before running off into the woods. It’s howls could be heard, they sounded happy. Not long after, two more distinct howls were added to the mix. 

“You didn’t the Wendigo, did you?” Yoongi said, completely serious.

Ryujin elbowed him hard in the stomach. 

The three returned to their cabin. They were too high strung to fall asleep. They gathered their belongings into their bags and got into their car.

”I’m ready to go home”. Woozi said.

”Hospital first.” Ryujin said, nodding to the burn wound on Woozi’s hand. 

Just a few miles when leaving the campsite, the group checked Woozi in to the hospital. He sat on the examination bed.

About an hour later, Ryujin and Yoongi greeted him in the room. 

“What did they say?” Ryujin asked.

”Third degree burn.” Woozi said while glaring at Yoongi.

”Woozi, I’m so-“

Woozi put his hand up, freezing Yoongi. He turned to Ryujin, showing a practically healed wound. The worst it looked like was a very bad sunburn now, “the antler healed the wound. I’m just milking this for all I can right now.” 

“Love that idea.” 

Ryujin and Woozi shared a laugh before Yoongi was unfrozen.