A Spiritual Experience Part 1

The Great Ones

 Ryujin grabbed a family size bag of Cheetos with two fingers, balancing the other snacks she wants in her arms.

I hate my job.

Should I tell my wife I cheated on her?

She has a nice .

Can this idiot hurry up and finish ringing up my items?

Ryujin shook her head, trying to cleanse her mind of the thoughts. She entered the line of customers, hoping the cashier would gain a burst of speed.

”Dude, are we sure about this?” A man asked in front of Ryujin, his voice soft.

”It is abandoned. No one has been there in years, even the law doesn’t give a .” Another man replied, clearly not afraid of anything.

”Ghosts probably give a ,” the soft guy added.

”Ghosts don’t scare me. Hell, I don’t even believe in them.”

The line of customers eventually diminished. Ryujin was about to set her items down when the soft voiced guy returned, apologizing for cutting off the transaction.

”I’m sorry, but I forget to ask if you have any batteries.”

The cashier pointed to an aisle nearby, “they are in that aisle.”

The guy thanked the cashier and apologized to Ryujin then disappeared into the aisle.

Ryujin couldn’t help but listen in on his mind.

Why do we have to go to this damned hospital? I’d rather do anything else! Really, anything else. I’d rather go to jail. I’ll rob this store, and go to jail. Not really, but it’d be better than what we are about to do!

Ryujin couldn’t hide her smirk, liking the inner monologue of the scared guy. The cashier ringed up her items and took her money, then thanked her for coming.

Ryujin left the store. She noticed the raspy-voiced guy smoking a cigarette while leaning on his car. Ryujin reached her car, unlocked it, and stepped inside.

The soft voiced boy exited the store. He handed the batteries to his friend, who ripped opened the package and put the batteries in a flashlight.

Ryujin put the key in the ignition, then turning it to find the car not starting. Ryujin swore under her breath, and got out. She opened the hood, then groaned.

”Is everything okay, ma’am?” a voice called.

Ryujin turned to see the two boys eyeing her. Ryujin looked back at her car, then at the boys again.

”My car is dead, I think.”

”Do you want a jump?” the soft voiced man asked. His friend nudged his side, not wanting to be involved.

”If you have the time, I’d appreciate it.”

The soft voice boy turned to his friend, “let’s help her. Least we can do.”

”We don’t need to get involved.” the raspy man replied.

“Then sit on the curb and wait, .”

The soft voiced boy snatched the keys from his friend and pulled his car up to Ryujin’s.

”Thank you.” Ryujin said, grabbing one end of the jumper cables.

”No problem.”

Ryujin and the boy placed the cables in their respective spots. Ryujin went to start her car, the boy started up his car.

The two eventually got Ryujin’s car to start. Ryujin thanked the boy again for his assistance.

”No need, ma’am. I’m Daesung, and my friend over there is Jiyoung. Obviously we are total opposites.” Ryujin chuckled at Daesung’s introduction.

”Ryujin,” Ryujin replied, shaking Daesung’s hand. “Thank you for the jump, enjoy your hospital expedition.”

Ryujin was about to turn, but Daesung stopped her.

”You heard about that?” Ryujin nodded. “Not my idea, believe me. I’d rather go watch paint dry.”

”Me too.” Ryujin said. “I have to go to work now, so thanks again for helping me. Enjoy your trip.”

Daesung returned to Jiyoung, pushing the cables into his chest. Jiyoung rolled his eyes then got in the drivers seat. Daesung entered the passenger side and looked at his friend.

”And that is how you be an upstanding citizen of Korea.” 

“Shut up.”

Back home, Woozi and Yoongi extinguished another small fire. Woozi glared at Yoongi, who just smiled. 

“So we definitely know now you can only manipulate sources of existing fire.” Woozi said, setting the extinguisher down.

”And you can’t even blink, it stops the inanimation.” 

Woozi writes down the information on a piece of paper, then turns to the muted TV. Yoongi unmutes the TV, and leans against Woozi. 

“What is with you and ghost shows?” Yoongi asks, pushing off his friend and going to the fridge.

”It’s thrilling, and now that we are super powered, I wouldn’t be surprised if spirits actually exist.”

”They don’t.”

”How do you know?”

”Because I’ve tried summoning a demon last night, just for fun.”

Woozi turned to Yoongi, “you what?”

”I can control fire and that surprises you?!”

”Demons are not good, they are evil.”

”Again I can control fire, I’m not really afraid of demons.”

”Okay,” Woozi muted the show and eyes Yoongi. “I’m as gung-ho able being able to do magical things and stuff, but we can’t take it for granted. We don’t even know how we got this, and what we are capable of; or if this is temporary or permanent.”

”When did you turn into Ryujin?”

”When she yelled at me last night for freezing her, and as much as I hate to admit it, she’s right.”

Yoongi sighed and raised his hands up in surrender. Woozi unmutes the TV again and focused on the show.

”What time does Ryujin get home today?”

”Nine.”

”Cool. I’m going to take a nap.”

”Okay.”

”You want to step back from that TV? You’re pretty much making out with it.”

Woozi shushes Yoongi. Yoongi shrugs and walks out of the room.

Ryujin stared out the window, the darkness overtaking the last sliver of sunlight. 

“You can leave now, honey.” Ryujin’s boss, Gyuri, said. 

“Okay. See you Friday.”

”Have a nice three days off.”

”I will.”

Ryujin signed out of work, then walked to her car. She sat down in the drivers seat and started her car. The radio came to life, playing a song about spirits.

Ryujin changed the channel, just to find another song about ghosts. Ryujin changed the channel again, but every channel was playing a song about ghosts.

Ryujin shut off her radio, put her car into drive and left the driveway. About a couple miles down the road, the radio started playing by itself. 

“What the hell?” Ryujin said, shutting off the radio again.

Ryujin made it home with many interruptions from the radio, blaming it on faulty wiring. 

Woozi was lounging on the couch when Ryujin entered the house. Ryujin noticed the ghost show on the TV. 

“What is with this day and ghosts?”

Woozi looked up at her, “What?”

”First these two guys were talking about going to a possible-haunted abandoned hospital, then my radio kept turning on and playing songs about ghosts, and now this.”

“And Yoongi summoned a demon last night, or tried to.”

Ryujin looked at the TV, it showing a group exploring a hospital. Then it clicked.

”Woozi get your shoes on.”

”Why?”

”I think someone is in trouble, or is walking into it.”

”How do you know?”

”All these signs about ghosts. It just seems to obvious for it not to be something.” Woozi rose from the couch and stretched. Ryujin scanned the room, “where is the oaf?”

”Asleep. He has a test at seven, so he went to bed early.”

”Then it’s just you and me.”

”And what exactly are we doing, and going?”

”We are gonna go see ghosts, and some hot guys.”

”You had me at ghosts.”

”Yeah, okay.”