Soul’d (Part 2)

The Great Ones

Woozi and the others entered their house through the front door. Ryujin sat down on the couch while Yoongi and Woozi stood behind her. Wooyoung materialized in front of the three.

”So, how do we find this soul broker?” Ryujin asked. 

Before Wooyoung could speak, Yoongi interjected: “and what exactly is a soul broker?”

”Well considering a broker is sort of like a merchant, I’m assuming this guy sells souls?” Woozi said as he joined Ryujin on the couch. 

”Correct.” Wooyoung added. “I was able to get away from him before he could capture me. Soul brokers can physically interact with spirits and lingering souls.”

”Which makes them perfect for the job.” Ryujin stated.

”So where is he?” Yoongi asked.

”He will want to find me. He seemed ignorant, upset I escaped from him.” 

“So we should return to where you died.” Woozi said. “We should prepare.” Everyone nodded.

Later that night, Woozi and Wooyoung paced around the alley. Ryujin and Yoongi hid behind a tall pile of trash, waiting to ambush. 

“So how do you know about soul brokers? Or pretty much any sort of magic?” Woozi asked. Finally stopping to lean against the brick building to his right. 

“Soul brokers only go after those sensitive to magic. My mother was a sensitive, I guess I was too.”

”So she believed in magic, or did she actually know it existed?”

”I’m not sure. She would tell me stories before tucking me in to bed. Every night was something different, a witch who could see the future, a demon who controlled fear, then a house that held the most powerful magic that ever existed; and how everyone, good and bad, fought over it for centuries.”

”Are they still fighting?”

Wooyoung shrugged, “I’m not sure. I don’t know if any of it was true.”

”So she told you about soul brokers though?”

Wooyoung nodded, “she said when people die they become spirits, and to avoid anyone who can see them.”

”Not all of us are evil soul stealing s.” 

Wooyoung nodded, “I know that.”

Ryujin had her eyes closed. Yoongi nudged her. Ryujin opened her eyes and glared at him. 

“What are you doing, why are your eyes closed?” Yoongi asked.

”I’m trying to listen for this guys thoughts. If he’s close I can hopefully pick up on them. Now, if you’ll excuse me.” Ryujin said before closing her eyes again.

Yoongi sighed and eyed Wooyoung and Woozi. 

“Excuse me, sir.” A voice said. 

Yoongi turned around and Ryujin opened her eyes. A man towered over the two crouching heroes. Before they could react, the man held out an open palm at the two. 

“You’re in my way.” The man said before a powerful force forced the two off their feet and flying back into the pile of trash. 

Woozi looked over at the altercation. Before he could attempt to freeze the man, he was thrown against the brick wall. Wooyoung screamed in shock. 

The man sighed then walked towards Wooyoung. The man grabbed her by the throat and opened his mouth. A dazed Woozi watched as Wooyoung was into his mouth. The man burped then turned to Woozi. He tilted his head at the boy before taking out a pocket knife. 

Ryujin rose to her feet then focused in on the man. She tried to project thoughts into his mind. However, she found it to be useless as the man simply shrugged it off with little effort. The man crouched down beside Woozi before slowly plunging the blade into the side of his torso. Woozi let out a cry of pain. Ryujin struggled out of the pile of trash then charged at the man. 

The man didn’t even turn to her. He raised his hand at her. Ryujin was thrown back into the trash pile. The man took the knife out of Woozi and wiped the blood on his pants before rising. 

The man snapped his fingers. He vanished into thin air. Ryujin shook off the daze then crawled out of the trash to Woozi. 

“Woozi.” Ryujin whimpered. The boy was motionless. “Stop it.” Ryujin gently slapped the freezer on his face. “Wake up.” Ryujin said, tears starting to form in her eyes. “Wake up.” She said again, starting to shake Woozi.

Yoongi groaned and rubbed his head, “ow.” Yoongi shook his head then stumbled to his feet. He noticed Ryujin slumped over Woozi. “Ryu-“

”He’s dead.” Ryujin said behind her sudden wailing. Yoongi shook his head and walked to her side. 

Woozi laid there, surrounded by a puddle of blood. A stab wound on his side. His eyes closed and his body completely motionless. 

“Shouldn’t we,” Yoongi stuttered over his words, “see his spirit?!” 

Ryujin didn’t respond, her crying taking over any means of communication. Yoongi shook his head then covered his face in defeat. 

The two stayed by Woozi’s side for what felt like a lifetime before finally noticing their state. Ryujin wiped the tears off her face and rose. Yoongi watched her with watery eyes. 

“You’re right.” Ryujin said weakly. 

Yoongi eyed her, “What?”

“We haven’t seen his spirit.”

”I know. That soul stealing freak must have taken him.”

”So we have a chance to save him.”

”Ryujin-“

”I am not letting him be some slave or worse! If we have even a chance to have him,” Ryujin “move on to heaven or whatever or wherever spirits go. We need to do what we can!” 

“How will we even find the guy?”

”I don’t know how, but we will.”