When in Wendigo (Part 1)

The Great Ones

Ryujin placed a couple bags of various chips and three drinks on the counter of the gas station’s store. Outside, Woozi pumped gas into the rental car while Yoongi sat in the car. There was only one other car at the gas station, on the opposite side of Woozi, a woman pumping gas into her SUV. 

Ryujin exited the store with a bag full of what she purchased and joined Yoongi in the car. Woozi joined a moment later after finishing up. Woozi sat in the drivers seat, relieving Ryujin of driving for a few hours.

Woozi turned left onto the road. The road stretched out straight for miles, the ride was easy and before they knew it; they arrived at their destination.

Woozi drove up to a small wooden hut, a single man leaned against the glass pane with a small smile. His black hair was hidden under a cowboy hat, his body lean and his skin tanned slightly due to always being outdoors. The name Leo stitched on his uniform.

Woozi rolled down his window as Leo leaned out of his hut to greet him. 

“Hello.” Woozi greeted.

Leo smiled at him, “good morning.” 

“We have a reservation. Party of three, under Ryujin.”

Leo leaned back into his hut and examined a notebook nearby, he nodded a second later. “You prepaid, correct?” 

Woozi turned to Ryujin, who nodded. Woozi turned back to Leo, “Yes.”

Leo nodded and turned away from Woozi to grab a set of keys. He grabbed a brochure as well before turning back to the boy. 

“Here are the keys to your cabin, two sets, the third key, this orange tagged one, is for your private bathroom in the bathhouse.” Leo handed the key ring to Woozi. “This brochure tells you about the area, has a detailed map, I already circled your cabin, cabin 500, just follow the road till you can’t no longer, the back shows the activities scheduled for the week. Thank you for choosing our camp for your vacation, have a nice stay.” Leo added with a smile, handing the brochure to Woozi.

Woozi nodded at Leo, thanking him, then proceeds down the dirt road to find their cabin. Woozi looked left and right for a good ten minutes before finding one of the more bigger cabins to his left, the number 500 was painted on the front door. Woozi pulled in. 

Yoongi was the first to exit the car, “finally!” He said as he stretched. 

Woozi stared at the log cabin in front of him, he grimaced. The cabin was made of wood, no steel or metal, just wood. That freaked Woozi out. There were no other cabins for several miles, as the three chose to rent one in the far corner of a national park. There was a large porch in the front, a wooden awning above to protect from the elements. 

Woozi exited the car and went to the backseat, he took out his luggage. Ryujin stayed in the car for a moment, looking over the brochure. 

“So breakfast is in two hours, at eight, then lunch is at one, then dinner is between five and eight!” Ryujin stated. 

“I’m so ready for decent food!” Yoongi yelled. “That motels food was terrible.” 

“What did you expect?” Woozi said. “It was like fifty dollars a night for the three of us.” 

“True.”

Woozi was the first to walk up the porch. He took a deep breath then turned the front door handle to see a dark room. He felt up the right side of the wall but found no light switch. He checked the left wall, no light switch. Woozi sighed.

”Yoongi, can you give me some light?!” Woozi called out. A moment later, a flame the size of a small dog entered the cabin. It illuminated the room, which turned out to be a foyer. A wooden bench to the right, with a wall shelf just above. To the left was a long wooden coat rack. Woozi searched the room for a light switch, he found it just past the bench, just before entering another room. He flipped it, and the foyer lit up. A single lamp from above lit up the foyer barely. Yoongi’s flame was brighter. 

“Great.” Woozi muttered before moving to the other room, he found a light switch to his left. He flicked it up, the room lit up to reveal the living room and kitchen. 

The living room was small, a loveseat and full sofa surrounded a coffee table. Just above the coffee table, a tv was mounted to the wall. The other side of the room was a modern kitchen. Granite countertops and an island in the middle, four stools placed around the island. A modern fridge was humming softly beside an electric stove. A trash can barely half the size of the stove beside it. Woozi passed through, seeing two closed doors to his left. To the right was an open door, which he could make out to be a bathroom. 

Woozi walked up to one of the doors and opened it. He found a light switch to his right. The room had a queen sized bed, a wooden dresser, and a single window with a black curtain that hung barely above the ground. Woozi checked the other room to find two twin size beds, with an end table in between with a dresser on the other side of the room. A single window with the same black curtain as well. 

Woozi entered the room with the twin beds and picked the one closer to the window. He set his luggage down and sighed. Yoongi walked in a moment later with a huge smile on his face. 

“This is so cool.” 

Woozi looked at him, “yep.” 

“What’s under your underwear?” Yoongi joked. 

“I just don’t feel safe here. What if termites eat the cabin walls and we get eaten by coyotes or something.” 

“Says the guy who can freeze literally anything.”

”Our powers have nothing to do with this.” 

Outside the cabin, Ryujin scanned the nearby woods that practically surrounded the cabin. 

Akakas

Ryujin perked up when hearing the same voice she’s been hearing for the past few minutes. 

Janaj

No more voices occurred after that. Ryujin looked around another few seconds before walking inside the cabin with her stuff. 

The boys noticed her sudden shift in attitude. 

“You okay, Ryu?” Yoongi asked.

”I just heard some weird voices in my head.” 

“Did you open yourself up to them?” Woozi asked. 

“No. So, that’s what is suspicious.” 

Yoongi groaned, “Lemme guess.”

”It could be just someone from a nearby cabin thinking.” Ryujin said. 

“But can’t you block it out?”

”Yes. However, sometimes they slip through.” Ryujin was lying, but she hoped the boys fell for it. Woozi nodded while Yoongi sighed with relief.

The three let the situation go, and began to settle into the cabin. 

“Ready to go to breakfast?” Ryujin asked. 

Woozi sat in the loveseat, reading a book he bought recently. He looked at her, “go without me. I’ll just eat some cereal.”

”You sure?” Yoongi asked as he exited the bedroom he and Woozi share. 

“Yeah. Just bring me some waffles if they have them, and some syrup.” 

Ryujin shrugs and leaves with Yoongi. Woozi sighes and continues to read. His reading however is cut short when a loud howl occurs. It startles Woozi, making him stand up and dropping his book. 

Woozi goes to the front door, which was left open, to bring in some fresh air, and peers out. 

At first, Woozi just sees an empty dirt road and woods. However, something appears from the woods. It first appears on all fours, then rises on two. It’s body was masculine, almost human like, but it’s face was covered in dark brown fur. Instead of hair, two large antlers protruded from its head. It huffs before stepping closer to Woozi. 

“Yeah.” Woozi said out loud. “I don’t think so!” Woozi gestured at the creature, it froze. 

Woozi slammed the front door shut and locked it. He ran into the living room, then into the bedroom and grabbed his phone. He swore under his breath, seeing no signal appearing on his phone. 

Suddenly, there was a loud bang on the front door. Woozi jumped a little. He ran out to the foyer, he found the door being shaken by some strong force each time the bang reoccurred. 

“Of course, just as they leave. I’m attacked by a ing demon monster creature.” Woozi muttered as he watched the door continue to be shaken. 

Suddenly, it stopped. Woozi turned around, as if he knew whatever it was was going to circle around. He was right. A huge figure passed by a window in the living room. 

Woozi took a moment to come up with a plan. He only had one. He closed his eyes and began to speak in his mind, hoping Ryujin would hear him. However, a crashing sound came from Ryujin’s bedroom. Woozi didn’t wait, he dashed for the front door, unlocked it and ran out. He started down the dirt road. He looked back as he ran, finding the creature circle the cabin once. 

Woozi turned his head forward and continued to run. He didn’t stop, mostly from pure terror and adrenaline, until reaching the next cabin. He took a second to catch his breath, making sure to scan his surroundings, before walking up to the front door. He knocked a few times, but got no answer. 

A twig snapping caught Woozi’s attention. Woozi turned to see the creature standing in the woods, peeking out from behind a tree. 

Woozi immediately dashed further down the road, he kept his eye on the creature. It followed him in the woods, never taking its eyes off of him. 

“God, you’re relentless.” Woozi muttered as he ran. 

A passing car caught Woozi’s attention, it drove slow and didn’t see the creature in the woods. Woozi had one chance, he suddenly ran towards the woods, into the dirt road. The car slammed on its breaks. Woozi gestured at the creature, freezing it again before turning to the car. 

“Please! Let me in! I’m being attacked!” Woozi screamed, panic in his voice. 

The car suddenly shut off. The drivers door opened, and Woozi only caught a glimpse of the man before a sharp pain went through his neck. His vision blurred and he knew he was screwed just before passing out.