Hatred (Part 2)

The Great Ones

Woozi and Yoongi sat in Yoongi’s car in grocery store parking lot.

Yoongi looked down at his phone. He sighed. Woozi looked at him, “what?”

”I start classes soon.”

”And?”

”That’s it.” 

Woozi rolled his eyes at him then continued to look out to the parking lot.

”So are we sure this thing will be here.” 

“I don’t know. It showed up here, so maybe it’ll show up again. Try to find a new victim.”

Yoongi nodded. “So, have you heard any update from Ryu?”

Woozi shook his head. “We just gotta wait for her to talk to that guy.” 

Meanwhile, Ryujin pulled up to the local police station. She took a deep breath before exiting her car and walking up to the front door. She walked into the building and went up to the receptionist. He was wearing a uniform, and seemed a little distracted with what was on his computer screen. He did look up eventually.

”Can we help you?” He asked.

”A man was brought in yesterday afternoon. He attacked a woman at the local grocery store.” She stopped speaking, not entirely sure where to go from there.

”And?”

Ryujin gave up and focused her energy onto the man. 

You let me in because I’m that guys family.

”You want to see him, right miss?”

”Yes.”

The receptionist typed for a moment. The printer by his side came to life and printed out a piece of paper. He folded it in half and ripped off one half then gave the other half to Ryujin. 

“Show this to anyone who tries to stop you.” 

Ryujin nodded then walked deeper into the building. She dealt with some resistance, but what the receptionist gave her allowed her access. 

An officer escorted her to a series of holding cells. The man who Ryujin was looking for sat on his bed in one do the cells. The officer walked off.

”Hello.” 

The man looked up, “Yeah?”

Ryujin gasped when seeing his face. His young features from just yesterday had become darker, his skin turned a very light shade of grey. Large bags appeared under his eyes, which were bloodshot. His teeth has begun to chip and break, and were yellowed. His skin has begun to sag slightly. 

“What happened to you?” Ryujin asked.

”Who are you?”

Ryujin grabbed the cell bars and whispered, “I need your help. And maybe, I can help you.”

The man scoffed and shook his head, “You can’t help me.”

”Why do you say that?”

The man motioned at himself, “look at me. I wasn’t like this yesterday. I was skinny, handsome, had white teeth, my skin didn’t sag.” 

“I know. You attacked your friend, Dana.” 

“I didn’t!” The man yelled, he rose from the bed. 

Ryujin shushed him, “You didn’t let me finish. You attacked your friend because a demon, or monster, compelled you to.” 

The man was surprised at first, then nodded. “Maybe you’re right. I never meant to hurt her, I didn’t-“

”What is your name?” 

“Yesung.”

”Yesung, what were you feeling before you attacked her?”

”I was annoyed and slightly pissed, but nothing like what I was feeling before whatever happened happened.” 

“So you became enraged out of nowhere.” 

“By that thing.”

”Have you seen it before?”

”No,” Yesung said. He thought for a moment, “at least not in reality.”

”What do you mean?”

”It isn’t important.”

”It may be.”

”I saw it in my dreams, but they were more like nightmares. I was constantly murdering Dana. It happened almost every night for a while.”

Ryujin nodded then spoke, “Did you see a cloaked figure at all?” 

“A cloaked figure?” Yesung asked. Ryujin nodded. Yesung looked down then nodded. “It came here last night. Then I passed out, and woke up with this on my face.” 

”What do you mean?”

”I didn’t look like this yesterday.” 

“I believe you. Have you seen the figure before then, like in your dreams?” 

Yesung thought for a moment then shook his head. Ryujin nodded. 

“Are you going to get me out of here?”

Ryujin didn’t want to say no, “I don’t think I can, but I’ll see what I can do.” Yesung knew she was lying, but he nodded anyway. 

“You should go.”

Ryujin nodded then said goodbye before leaving the building. She took out her phone to call Woozi. 

Woozi picked up, “Hello?”

”Hey, seen anything yet?” 

“Nope.”

”Well, we might tonight.”

”What?”

”We are gonna stake out Yesung, the guy who attacked Dana. He said the figure came to him last night.” 

“Better than nothing to go on. Alright, I’ll cancel my plans with Seongchul and-“

”No. Yoongi and I can handle this.”

”What? But what if-“

”You still can’t control your powers, and I doubt Seongchul likes being rain checked for the fifth time this week.”

”I agree!” Yoongi screamed in the background of Woozi’s phone. 

“Shut up.” Woozi snapped. “He knows about my monster fighting, he’ll understand-“

”Woozi, you’re not ditching him again. If we really need you, we will call. No more arguing.” Ryujin ended the call. 

That night, Yoongi and Ryujin sat in the cell with Yesung. Ryujin and Yoongi sat on the bed while Yesung leaned against the wall. 

”So are you guys like witches?”

Yoongi looked to Ryujin, who shook her head. “No we are just that great.” She joked.

”And tell me again how you guys got access in here again?”

Yoongi nudged Ryujin, “she can control people’s minds.” 

“Oh, cool.” 

“And I can control fire and disintegrate things.” Yoongi added with a large smile. 

“Oh fun.” 

Ryujin was about to speak but heard strange footsteps coming towards them. She rose from the bed, expecting an unsuspecting officer about to be mind controlled. However, the cloaked figure appeared. 

“Yoongi!” Ryujin yelled. Yoongi conjured a ball of fire in his hand.

The figure didn’t react, and simply passed through the cell bars. Yoongi flung the fireball at the figure, it disappeared into its body. 

The figure raised its hand at Yesung, the red aura appeared around him again. Ryujin tried to get in the way, but the figure took its other hand and grabbed her by the throat. Yoongi focused power into his hand and went to touch the figure, but his attempt failed as he went right through the figure and landed on the toilet, disintegrating it in the process. Ryujin tried to kick the figure, but her attacks went right through him. 

Suddenly, the figure and Yesung froze. Ryujin fell to the ground gasping for air. Woozi and Seongchul stood behind the bars, Woozi had his hands up.

”You guys okay?” 

Yoongi stood up and sighed. He helped Ryujin up. 

“I thought I told you-“

”Well, obviously you needed me.” Woozi turned to Seongchul, “wait outside.” Seongchul nodded and gave him a kiss on the cheek before running out. 

“So what do we do?” Yoongi asked. 

“Did you try burn it or-“

”Everything we try ends up going right through it or disappearing inside it.”

”Well try now, I inanimated it so maybe I froze it’s ability.” 

Yoongi conjured fire and willed it to consume the figure. A moment later, the figure was covered in searing flames. Woozi unfroze Yesung. Ryujin pulled him away towards her.

The figure unfroze but it was too late. It was already burning. A moment later, all that was left was a burned black corpse. 

“What is that?!” Yoongi asked. He eyed the corpse with a grimace. 

“Doesn’t matter, disintegrate it.” Ryujin said. 

Yoongi nodded and focused power into his hand and tapped the corpse. It turned to ash. 

“So, now what?” Yesung asked. 

“Give me a second.” Woozi said before disappearing into another room. He returned a second later with a set of keys. He unlocked the cell door and let Ryujin and Yoongi out. He held up his hand at Yesung, not allowing him to get out. 

“Hey! I don’t belong here!” 

“I know. Just give us a few minutes. Stay here.”

Yesung nodded and sat down on the bed, eyeing the ashes on the ground. 

The next day, Ryujin stood at the receptionist desk. Dana stood beside her. Yesung appeared a few minutes later, wearing his civilian clothes and wearing a smile. Dana looked to Ryujin, who nodded at her. 

Dana went up to Yesung and hugged him. Yesung hugged her back. 

“I’m going to kick your when we get back to the apartment.” Dana said to Yesung.

”I deserve it.”

Ryujin cleared to get their attention, “so you both know what happened. Now you know-“

”We won’t tell anyone.” Yesung said. 

“We promise.” Dana said.

The two thanked Ryujin and started to walk out. Ryujin focused in on their thoughts. Dana was heard. 

I can’t wait to till Serri I met a real witch. 

Ryujin sighed and followed them out, already in the process of making them forget everything that happened and making up something more believable for them to believe. Afterwards, Ryujin called out to them.

Dana turned, “Yes?”

Ryujin could tell she didn’t recognize her, “Do you remember me?”

Dana looked Ryujin up and down. Like I’d want to. Ryujin held back a retort at the insult she heard. Dana smiled, “I’m sorry. I don’t.”

”Is there something you need?” Yesung asked. 

“Nope.”

Ryujin purposely bumped past Dana to reach her car. She couldn’t help but smile as Dana gasped at the action.