Nothing to Freeze Up About

The Great Ones

Woozi ran down the sidewalk, dodging pedestrians left and right while balancing coffee in his left hand. He stopped in front of a tall building, it’s exterior being completely black with large windows placed throughout each floor. It’s highest level reaching the height of a giants nose if they existed.

Woozi dug his free hand into his jeans pocket and took out an ID badge, the lanyard swaying with the wind. He ran it over a sensor above the door and heard an unlocking sound. He stuffed his id back in his pocket and pulled the door open, and slipped through before it closed.

A woman near her fifties greeted Woozi, her stained teeth being the focal point of her smiling face.

Woozi smiled “Too much coffee, Woohee.”

Woohee closed her lips and grabbed her purse. Woozi walked past her desk and hit the elevator call-button with his hip. He waited until the door opened, he used a finger to hit the thirtieth floor.

Woozi checked the floor number on the wall above the door, wishing for it to go faster. Instead, it seemed to go slower, almost stopped completely. Woozi stared at the stationary floor number ten, then started to press the elevator buttons. Eventually, the number started to rise again, and the buttons Woozi pressed suddenly lit up.

Woozi finally reached his floor and stepped off. He set the coffee down at his desk, which was only a few steps further down the floor. He picked up two coffees and started towards his boss’ office.

”I swear it makes you lose like ten pounds in a week,” Woozi heard a female say, somewhere to his side.

Woozi ignored the conversation and continued down the hall. He stopped in front of a desk, where a tall man was typing away. Woozi set one of the coffees down, which caught the boys attention.

”Thanks, Woozi.” The man said, taking the coffee to sip. Woozi nodded and continued to his boss.

Woozi reached the door to his boss’ office and took a deep breath. He turned the handle and entered. The tall man, not much older than the boy, looked up from his laptop and smiled.

”Sorry I’m late, boss.”

Seongchul nodded and extended his hand. Woozi scurried over and handed him his coffee. Seongchul smiled and took a sip, then set it down on his desk.

”Can you give me your updated copy of the Jean Project?”

Woozi nodded “Of course, sir.”

Seongchul eyed the boy, “Actually can you present it to me instead.”

Woozi’s eyes widened and he pointed at himself, “Me?”

Seongchul nodded.

”Yes,” Woozi gulped “sir.” Woozi turned around and tried to think of how to start. He turned and raised his open hands.

There was a muffled noise coming from who knows where, sounding similar to paper ripping but softer. 

Woozi eyed Seongchul, “So far, nothing new regarding the volunteers. The researchers have discovered a possible way to combat anxiety, without medicine being involved.”

Woozi nodded and put his hands down, stuffing them in his pockets. His eyes still on his boss. “That’s all, sir.” 

Seongchul wasn’t reacting, his same stare on his face. Woozi eyed the man, “Sir?”

Woozi took a step closer to his boss, slightly waving his hand in front of his boss, but to no avail.

”Is something wrong, sir?” Woozi crept closer. “Seongchul sunbae?”

It was like Seongchul was frozen. Woozi started to wave his hands frantically in front of his boss, but nothing changed Seongchul’s state.

Woozi finally looked away and opened his mouth to call for Seongchul’s assistant.

”Well, Woozi,” a familiar voice said. Woozi looked towards the voice, and saw Seongchul now animated, leaning forward with his arms crossed over his chest. Woozi looked at him for a moment, then shook his head.

What?” Seongchul asked.

Woozi looked around his boss’ office, trying to find a reasonable explanation for the strange event that just occurred.

”When did you get so close to me?” Seongchul added.

Woozi pointed to where he was when he spoke, “Right there.” Then the boy scratched his head, “I think.”

”Are you okay?”

”I,” Woozi paused “think.”

Seongchul’s eyebrow rose, and he rose from his desk. “You need to break this stage fright, Woozi. Public speaking is part of this job.”

”I did speak.” Woozi replied, becoming more confused.

Seongchul shrugged “I didn’t hear anything.”

Woozi repeated what he said, accidentally mixing up the wording. Seongchul nodded and asked him to leave, Woozi bowed his head and walked out.

Woozi took only one step, then everything went black.