Destiny

The Great Ones

The sun was rising while Ryujin stretched her aching body in bed, her tied up black hair swaying each time her head moved to stretch her bruised neck.

Ryujin stumbled out of bed and placed her hands on her dresser, staring at herself in the mirror in front of her. She groaned and closed her eyes for a second before stepping into her walk-in closet to change out of her pajamas.

Ryujin sorted through her clothes, ending up picking a large blue sweatshirt and black leggings. She walked out of her closet and let her hair down, and ran her hand through her hair.

Before Ryujin could even grab her phone when she reached for it, it started to vibrate. Whoever was calling caused Ryujin to roll her eyes.

The girl brought the phone up to her ear, “Hello?”

”It’s Jiyoung, would you like to work overtime?”

Ryujin turned to face herself in the mirror, eyeing the bruises on her neck. “What time?”

There was a moment of silence then Jiyoung spoke, “Three to nine.”

”Sure.”

”Okay, thank you.” Jiyoung hung up before Ryujin could respond.

Ryujin mouthed the word “” then threw her phone on her bed. She exited her room and ran right into a frantic glassed boy.

”Sorry, Ryu.” the glasses-wearing boy replied.

”It’s all good, Woozi.” Ryujin said, before trudging past him.

”Are you okay?”

Ryujin gave him a thumbs up and walked into the bathroom, slamming the door behind her. Woozi sighed and continued to where he was heading.

Another boy walked up to the bathroom door and tried to turn the handle, then groaned when realizing it was locked.

”You’re too late.” Ryujin shouted from the toilet.

” you, !” The man replied loudly.

”You wish!”

The boy walked away and back into his room. He fell back down on his bed and rubbed his forehead. Ryujin peeked her head in a few minutes later.

”I’m done, Yoongi.”

”About time.”

”Shut up. I even left the toilet seat down,” Ryujin winked and walked away.

”I bet if I had a it wouldn’t be as loose as yours, !” Yoongi shouted.

”You’re lucky you pay your part of the rent or i would kick your hairy out!” Ryujin called back.

”My isn’t hairy,” Yoongi replied, walking out of his room and towards the bathroom.

”Ryujin took a massive crap, Yoongi.” Woozi said as he passed him, spooning cereal into his mouth.

”You and your humongous s, Ryujin! You !”

” off, hairy !”

”You have a hairy ?” Woozi asked, turned towards him, spoon in his mouth.

”No, I don’t.” 

Ryujin stepped out of her room, walking around the two boys “Because he shaved it last night, I had to clean the tub because there was a crap ton of hair clogging the drain.”

”Drop dead, Ryujin.”

”I wish.”

”Are you doing overtime again?” Woozi asked, spooning another mouthful of cereal into his mouth.

”Unfortunately.” Ryujin answered, unconsciously placing her hand on her neck.

After Ryujin disappeared into the kitchen, Woozi turned to Yoongi “She needs to quit that job, I can’t remember a day where she didn’t have bruises.”

”Try to tell her that. I dare you.” Yoongi replied. The two boys went silent before going their separate ways.

Ryujin sat down at the kitchen table, phone in hand. She slid over the cereal and poured herself a huge bowl. She grabbed the remote that was beside her and the TV, eating as she watched the news.

”Guys, there is going to be a comet flying by tonight!” Ryujin called, cereal spilling out of .

”Amazing!” Yoongi replied from his room, stuffing his backpack with textbooks.

”Make sure to make a wish when you see it!” Woozi added, fixing his loose glasses.

Ryujin checked the time on her phone, seeing it to be two thirty. “How is it already two thirty?” She asked herself, she checked the clock above the front door, it said two thirty. Ryujin shot up from the table, banging her knee in the process, swearing underneath her breath, then ran out of the house, leaving her bowl of cereal to get soggy.

Woozi heard a loud bang coming from Yoongi’s room, then the boy running down the hallway.

”Woozi when did it become two thirty?!”

Woozi looked at the clock and his eyes widened. He swiped up his phone and dialed a number.

”Sorry, Seongchul! I didn’t realize what time it was. I’ll be there in five minutes!”

Seongchul, who was spinning slowly in his office chair, smiled and sighed “Hurry.”

Woozi jumped off his bed and slipped on his shoes, grabbed his jacket and ran out the house. 

Ryujin parked her car outside the house, her heart slightly racing. She exited her car and walked to the front door, she entered a series of numbers on the lock then pushed the door open. A woman in her mid forties looked at her, and then at the clock.

Ryujin eyed the clock, it was two minutes to three. Ryujin sighed with relief and went into a small room, she set her phone down and put her hair into a tight ponytail.

”I’m going home now.” The woman stated, not even giving Ryujin a moment to respond.

Ryujin watched her leave, then walked out to the living room. A man sat on the couch, slightly lounging. He looked up at Ryujin and smiled, then went back to staring at the TV.

”At least it’s you, Onew.” Ryujin said, sitting down beside his lounging body.

”We just did a takedown, so get ready for round two.”

Ryujin closed her eyes and sighed. Onew sat up and patted her on the back, then rose.

”One day, this kid won’t want to kill us.”

”But not today. We are unfortunately his .”

”Where are you even going?”

”To piss.”

Ryujin nodded and stared at the TV. Once Onew left the room, a door opened and loud footsteps shook the house.

Ryujin rose and readied herself. A man, about fifty pounds larger than Ryujin, walked in and stared at her. Ryujin eyes him and crossed her arms.

”Hi.” The man said.

”Hi, Wongyeol.”

Wongyeol went to the opposite sofa and sat down, keeping his eyes on Ryujin. Ryujin didn’t sit, she stepped backwards to the wall across from the TV, right beside an open window.

Onew appeared a minute later, sitting down. Ryujin looked at Wongyeol, and as soon as she did he shut up and charged at her. However, he seemed to be charging very slowly, and then not at all.

Ryujin stared as Wongyeol’s body froze, and then turned to Onew, who was mid-getting up, also frozen.

A bright light caught Ryujin’s attention out of the corner of her eye, just outside the window. Ryujin turned and stared right at it, her entire body covered in goosebumps and her breathing quickening.

Ryujin forced herself to look away from the light, which disappeared as soon as she turned. Whatever had stopped the two boys also ceasing, and Ryujin barely dodged Wongyeol’s lunge attack. Onew quickly grabbed ahold of Wongyeol’s right arm, Ryujin grabbed his left, and the two took Wongyeol to the ground with all their might.

ing ! I almost had her!

I ing hate this god damn job! ! I hope this er dies!

Ryujin looked at the two boys, both struggling for different reasons. She looked at Wongyeol, “You did not almost have me, and don’t call me a .”

Wongyeol stopped struggling and looked at her with wide eyes. Onew did the same.

”He didn’t say anything.” Onew replied, his hold slightly letting up. Wongyeol felt it and slipped his wrist out from his grasp and punched Ryujin in the cheek.

The rest of Ryujin’s shift was a blur.