005

Can We Be Friends?

 

“How did it go?”

Haera glanced beside her, her old friend, Exo’s Kai looked at her.

“They want an interview. Taeyong and I.”

“I don’t understand, you were just..tossed there?”

“Yes, oppa. I..I’m still trying to wrap my head around it. I mean, I got married over the weekend. And I can’t even explain this to him.” She trailed off, the two were inside a practice room.

“Have you spoken to Jimin about it?” Kai asked quietly.

“I..have, but I know he has questions and this will never be something he’d understand.”

“You said you already escaped it. That world you always wanted to leave.” Kai said.

“Now, I’m back. Being Samsung’s wife, nothing less.” She sighed, Kai looked at her, his brows knitting together.

“How is he?”

“Taeyong?”

Kai nodded and handed her a bottle of Gatorade.

“It’s not difficult with Taeyong, really. We’re friends, we’ve been friends since we were kids.”

“You knew him?”

“My mom and his father are best friends. So, when trouble came on that day, he asked her for help.”

“And help turned out to be you?”

“Anyway, I’m lucky it’s just Taeyong.” She shuddered.

“Yes, you are. He’s a Samsung executive.” Kai chuckled.

“But, he’s not Jimin, oppa. And I feel bad that this has to happen.” The girl stood up and picked up her hoodie.

“Ya, what if people find out? Are you still going to continue seeing him?”

“Why should we break up over this? It’s a fake marriage.”

“It’s a recipe for trouble, Haera. You know that.” Kai said softly.

“I’m already stuck in trouble, oppa.” She blew him a kiss before leaving the room. Kai exhaled and shook his head.

“But you deserve someone better. Not someone who wants to keep you hidden.” He said to himself.

 

 

Taeyong pinched the bridge of his nose, his phone had been ringing endlessly the whole day, he already asked his secretary to move his meetings. He also ordered that he would not accept any interviews, except for the statement his office release earlier regarding his marriage to Haera. He released the fabricated story of how they started dating a couple of years ago and they decided to get married.

He didn’t really know what else to do, he didn’t want to do things on his own as it may affect Haera.

“Hey,”

Taeyong looked up as the double doors to his office opened, Yuta walked in with a wide grin on his face.

“I tried calling you the other night, I thought you were off to your honeymoon.” His friend chuckled before lounging on the leather couch across his desk.

“I thought I had a best man too.” He said before standing up.

“I’m sorry. Traffic was so bad, but, for real, though? You married that actress?” Yuta mused, Taeyong sat down.

“Her name’s Haera.” He corrected him.

His friend eyed him questioningly.

“Is that all you got, her name? Because the last time I checked she wasn’t the bride. The invitation didn’t say anything about a Haera.”

Taeyong shrugged and loosened his tie, his friend paused, he could see how stressed out the Samsung executive was.

“What happened?”

“She ran off.”

“What?”

“My father was in a rush, so he pulled out the next lady he could. Which turns out to be Haera. A celebrity.” Taeyong exhaled.

Yuta bit his lip, he knew how much Taeyong hated being in the limelight, he never agreed to any interview or exposure from the media. He only released statements through his office or gave out speeches while not allowing questions from the press.

And now, he was married to a well-known actress.

“You sound like you know her,”

Taeyong was about to speak when the doors opened again, Yuta halted. Yoo Haera was standing before them, with Taeyong’s secretary standing behind her apologetically.

“Oh, the tardy best man.” She blurted out when her eyes landed on the other male in the room.

“The celebrity bride.” Yuta mused back, Taeyong winced.

“Hmm, I like you. We’ll get along.” Haera chuckled, Taeyong nodded at his secretary and she stepped out.

“I know I should have called first, but,” She spoke as she sat down across him.

“My company wants to do an interview. You and me.”

Yuta guffawed.

“I tried to…disagree with it, but, I kind of don’t have a choice here, Lee Taeyong.”

“Wait, how do you two know each other?” Yuta was surprised, the girl was so bold in calling his friend his full name.

“Classmates since middle school to high school.” Haera replied.

“When do they want to do it?” Taeyong spoke.

“You’re really going to do it?” Yuta balked.

“Of course, he will. My career’s relying on it.” Haera crossed her legs, Taeyong eyed her briefly.

“Well?” Yuta mused at him.

“I’ll check my schedule.” Taeyong walked back to his desk, Haera grinned and leaned back on the seat comfortably.

 

 

“So? What happens now?”

Jimin shook his head as they all climbed in the van, moving on to their next schedule.

“I don’t know, hyung. Haera has to move to his place tonight. Her mother was adamant about it.”

“Move in?” Namjoon paused, Jimin didn’t reply but he just leaned back on his seat.

“Do they know each other? I mean, Haera’s family is well-known too.”

“They were classmates, her parents and his are good friends.” Jimin recited.

“Are you worried?” Jin asked softly.

“Of course, he is.” Taehyung rolled his eyes.

“Not that, I mean, what if things happen between them?”

“I’m not worried about that, hyung. I just hate the fact that her life’s been flipped over just because some elders couldn’t decide properly.” Jimin said in a cold tone.

“Where does she stand in all this?” Suga asked, Jungkook frowned and looked at the older male.

“She said she has no choice. And, even if she speaks about it, what will the public say? There already rumors about her.”

“Yeah, I read that article online. They’ve been dating for two years. Isn’t that you?” Namjoon shook his head, Hoseok got inside the vehicle.

“But, how did she end up being the bride instead?”

“She wont tell me.” Jimin shrugged before closing his eyes.

“She says it’s not her secret to share, and that it’s better if I don’t know.”

“Ya, we already told you. It would have been better if you came out with the truth earlier.” Suga shrugged.

“She was okay with that too, hyung.” Jungkook nodded.

Jimin just shook his head.

“Then that would affect us too, I don’t want that to happen.”

 

 

“This is so weird.” Haera said as staff started to move in her things, she glanced at the stairs, her shoes and clothes were being arranged.

“Samonim, where would you want this?” A male staff asked, she turned and saw two males holding a portrait of her, it was taken two years ago when she modelled for a skin care line.

Haera looked around uncomfortably and shook her head.

“Leave it at the basement, it’s~”

“Don’t,” Taeyong appeared from the kitchen, Haera paused.

“You can hang it up in the study, I’ll lead you there.” He spoke, the males nodded.

Haera blinked and tailed after him.

“Ya, you don’t have to go all the way. No one will see.” She whispered after him, Taeyong glanced at her.

“What if our parents visit? And, what if we have other guests?”

Haera scrunched her nose at him.

“How did it go? Have…you spoken to everybody?” He asked her carefully, Haera paused, she turned her head as the males fixed her portrait on the wall, just across the wooden shelves.

“I…I have another favor to ask.” She asked.

“Me too, but you first.”

“Would it be okay..if we all sat down and talked about it? I mean, Jimin, you and me.” She fiddled with the sleeve of her jacket.

“I think it’s..easier for him to understand if he met you and see how this arrangement of ours is.” She explained.

“Well, I guess we can do that. But, Jimin? Is that his name?”

Haera nodded.

“Then, your turn.” She urged him.

“I need you to visit me at work. Just show yourself at the company.”

“Huh?”

“It’s for good PR, that’s what my secretary suggested. But, only if you’re okay with it.” Taeyong said as he steered her away from the room.

“Well, that’s fine. I can do that.” She nodded, then they paused.

“Isn’t..that your grand~”

“Butler Jang,” Taeyong walked towards the male who was dressed in a crisp black suit and had an army of uniformed maids behind him.

“What brings you here?” He asked him taking note of the bags they were carrying, it had Haera’s initials on it.

“We’re here to make sure that your living arrangements has been set properly“

“Well, we can take care of it, ahjussi.” Haera spoke.

“I don’t think you understand what I’m here for, young master and young miss.”

“Yes?” Taeyong asked.

 

 

“I’m here to make sure you two share a room. We are moving young miss’s things into the master’s bedroom.”

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++