Birthday present

Our Tough World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ji-hyo managed to answer all of the questions perfectly which drew a satisfied smile on Seung-won’s face. When her gaze move to Jong-kook, she also can see how proud he is towards her. But seeing him makes her heart hurt. It reminds her again about how cruel he is. She then quickly diverts her gaze to somewhere else but him.

Jong-kook notices there’s something wrong with her. Ever since she gets into this room, she didn’t make an eye contact to him. She also didn’t return his smile like she always does.

When Seung-won dismiss the two of them, Jong-kook take this chance to make a conversation with her.

“You did a good job, Ji-hyo ah. There is no mistake at all.”

“I have to do well, didn’t I?” Ji-hyo replies without looking at Jong-kook.

Jong-kook grab Ji-hyo’s arm to stop her from walking. “Is there something wrong?”

“What do you mean?”

“You’ve been avoiding me.”

“If I’m avoiding you, I won’t stand in front of you.”

“Then why you don’t look into my eyes?”

Ji-hyo sigh before move her gaze to Jong-kook’s eyes. “Wae, Jong-kook ssi? Is there a rule that we have to look into each other’s eyes when we’re talking?”

She calls him ‘Jong-kook ssi’ again. He also can tell there’s anger inside her eyes when they make an eye contact. Slowly his grip on her arm loosen and he move his hand to hold her tiny hand. “Come with me.”

This is the second time he holds her hand, but she still stunned and not to mention her heart starts beating abnormally. She really wants to let go of his hand from hers, but she can’t. Not because he holds her hand too tightly, but more like her heart doesn’t want to let go of his hand from hers. That’s why Ji-hyo let Jong-kook drags her.

He takes her to rooftop. The night view from here is breathtaking. It shows a clear night sky and the stars makes it perfect. But she realized she’s coming here not to enjoy this view.

“Now tell me what’s wrong, Ji-hyo ah.”

“Nothing’s wrong, Jong-kook ssi.”

“Keure? Then why you keep calling me ‘Jong-kook ssi’ again?” Jong-kook stressed his words. But then a sudden thought kick him. “Seolma………. you heard my conversation with samchon before you came?”

Deep inside, Ji-hyo curse Jong-kook for being sharp. She didn’t reply and only staring at him.

“So, it’s true that you heard our conversation?”

“Neh, I heard your little secret. Wae? You want to punish me to eavesdrop your conversation?”

Jong-kook tighten his grip on her hand. “Mianhae Ji-hyo ah…. Mianhae….”

She smirks. “Wae? Why are you saying sorry? Are you saying sorry so that you can continue your act as my friend?”

“Ani, I’m sorry because you have to heard that lie.”

“What lie? You mean, all you said about me were a lie?”

“Neh, it’s just a lie…”

“You expect me to believe that, isn’t it?”

Jong-kook take a step forward and hold her shoulders. “Look into my eyes Ji-hyo ah. You study psychology, so I guess it’s an easy task for you to know whether someone telling lie or not. It’s all just a lie. A lie that I should say to samchon to save us.”

The moment she looks deeply into his eyes, she knows that he’s not lying right now. “Then why you should tell him this lie?”

“Because he might do something to us if he knows that we’re close. There’s a rule that male and female agents can’t have any special relationship.”

“Just because we’re close doesn’t mean we are in relationship, right?”

“I know, but once samchon knows that we’re close, he will keep watching us 24/7 and he can separate us to prevent us getting closer.”

“So what if he separates us?”

“I don’t want to…..”

Suddenly she found this topic is more interesting than the main problem. “Wae?”

“Because…. I’m happy to be your mentor. I’m happy to have a friend like you. If he separates us, it’s hard to meet you again and I don’t want that to happen.”

His answer makes her smile. “Then let’s continue your lie, oppa. Let’s pretend to not so close in front of him.”

Seeing her smiling again makes him beaming. “Neh, let’s do that.” He Ji-hyo’s hair lovingly.

She loves it when he did that to her. That little action from him can makes her falling deeper for him and she likes having this feeling. It’s been a while since she feels this kind of feeling.

 

 

 

The next morning, Ji-hyo wakes up with a note beside her bed which makes her frown.

The moment you awake, you can start jogging for 2 rounds. I’m sorry I can’t watch you since I have a meeting with samchon. Anyway, just because there is no one watching you, doesn’t mean you can fool me about this. I’ve installed video recorder in some places, so that I’ll get to know your time. See you at dining room at 8AM!

-          Kim Jong-kook

After reading that note, Ji-hyo check her phone and surprised to see that she got lots of chats from her friends and relatives, wishing her a happy birthday. Right, today is her birthday. She doesn’t even know whether she should feel happy or sad on her birthday. Seems like everyone in here didn’t have any idea about her birthday. Well, she didn’t really expect anything from them too.

She chooses to read all the chat messages later after her jogging session as she didn’t want to coming late at dining room for her breakfast.

As Jong-kook said yesterday, the track is shorter than the track in Paris. She’s satisfied seeing her time record which is sharply pointing 15 minutes. Kim Jong-kook is really amazing. How can he predicted the exact time record for her? After take a rest for 5 minutes, she continues running for her last round.

She still has a time for take a shower and gladly she made it to arrive at dining room at 8 AM sharp. But she feels weird. This room is too empty. She can’t found Jong-kook and Seung-won. She looks at the food at dining table and something catch her eyes. Today’s breakfast looks so festive. Just when her attention fully on dining table, she hears someone singing from behind which makes her turning her back right away.”

“Saengil chukka hamnida… Saengil chukka hamnida… Saranghaneun Song Ji-hyo, saengil chukka hamnida.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter