Desire 9

All I Want...

-_-

[Wedding Shop]

Selina sat down in a couch trying to relax herself as she watched her mother run back and forth.

“How about this one? Or that one? I like laces…” Mrs. Ren went on.

“Why don’t you just try one on for me? I’ll just take one that looks good on you,” Selina said resting her hand against her hand.

“Don’t talk like that. Why aren’t you serious? This is the only day we have available to look at dresses. I’ll be busy preparing everything else,” Mrs. Ren told. “Go try this one on.”

Selina rolled her eyes as she stared at the dress unhappily. She got up from the couch and walked around the store while her mom talked to an employee in the store. She went through the aisles taking a glance at each one. None of them were to her taste. Getting married to an amateur didn’t seem so exciting to her.

“Selina we found a dress for you,” Mrs. Ren said appearing out from nowhere.

At the back of Selina’s head she sensed that her mother only picked something to her liking. Selina randomly grabbed a dress.

“I like this one,” Selina said then turned to look at the dress she had randomly chosen.

A long white silky one.

-_-

[Taipei University]

Aaron found himself anticipating the wedding day as the next week begun. He drifted in and out of his studies and spent less time with Hebe without realizing it. Selina spent her days researching the internet for any ideas that would inspire her to think of something. She also found herself trying to avoid Aaron as much as possible. She was sure that if he saw her he’d want to talk, but for some reason whenever she saw him she’d feel so angry inside.

It was finally that Friday when Aaron got his chance. Aaron who had been waiting by Selina’s class for her jumped in front of her stopping her.

“Can we have a chat?” questioned Aaron.

“I have things to do,” Selina replied.

“I heard we’re having dinner tonight,” Aaron said.

Selina looked up at him. She hadn’t been aware about anything about a dinner.

“I hope we can talk a little more tonight…” Aaron began.

“I’m in a hurry right now,” Selina cut him off and walked off.

Aaron sighed helplessly as he watched her go off.

-_-

[Yan Household]

Aaron glanced at himself once more in the mirror then walked out to meet his dad in the hallway.

“All set Aaron?” questioned Mr. Yan.

Aaron nodded.

“The Rens are already waiting for us,” Mr. Yan told.

-_-

[At the restaurant]

Mr. Yan and Aaron made their way into the restaurant. They easily sighted the Rens sitting at a table by the wall.

“Where’s Selina?” questioned Mr. Yan.

“She’ll be coming a little later,” Mrs. Ren replied with a smile.

Actually they had tried calling Selina earlier but she had ignored their call.

“Is that right?” Mr. Yan said.

“Have a seat,” Mr. Ren offered.

Mr. Yan started with the greetings and went on into the conversation about business. Aaron sat quietly wondering if Selina would even come.

-_-

[A Drinking Bar]

Danson watched as Selina drank a shot right after another. He was becoming worried about her. She had been acting differently and looked overly tired the past few days. He had tried getting her to tell him her problems but Selina had refused to say anything.

“Hey…I think that’s enough,” Danson told trying to grab the cup away from Selina, but she quickly moved making him grab just air.

Selina was silent and drank a few more shots. At last she put the cup down loudly onto the counter.

“I’m getting married tomorrow Danson,” Selina told.

“What?! That’s too soon! You never told me…you should have just said no or something,” Danson exclaimed.

“I’ve had this whole week to come up with excuses…I could have tried to run away…” Selina then laughed to herself, “I’m so stupid. Why am I finally thinking of this at the last second?”

Danson stared at Selina surprised yet feeling disappointed to see that she wasn’t trying to do anything for herself.

“I feel so angry at how God isn’t giving me any other choices,” Selina went on, “I feel so angry! I don’t want to get married! Not to him! Stupid Kate! Why did you have to leave so early? What do you have against me God! You have to take away Jiro too! Why?!”

Danson glanced around to see that other people were starting to stare.

“You’re drunk Selina…” Danson started.

“I just don’t get it. Why me of all people? Why do I have to do this?” Selina asked. “I know…because I feel sorry for them. I’m the nice person so I have to do it right? Right Danson?”

“Lets go Selina,” Danson said trying to get Selina out of her stool.

“The stupid company…the stupid rich people,” Selina moaned to herself and looked toward her purse as her ringtone went off.

Danson paused as Selina reached for her phone and laughed.

“I guess my conscience feels guilty for skipping out on dinner,” Selina said turning to Danson, “want to take me there?”

-_-

[Selina’s Car]

Danson glanced over at Selina who was staring out of the window without a word. Her eyes seemed dazed.

“You shouldn’t go if you don’t want to,” Danson told. “Do you want my help?”

Selina didn’t reply. Once Danson stopped in the parking lot Selina unbuckled herself.

“Try coming tomorrow ok? It’d be nice to see you there,” Selina told, “it’s at that one Maple Hotel or whatever.”

“Are you sure you’re ok?” Danson questioned.

Selina nodded as she got out of the car. Danson got out of the car and watched Selina make her way toward the door.

“Selina!” Danson shouted. “Your keys!”

Danson rushed over to hand her the keys. As Selina took the keys they stood there silently staring at each other. Danson had actually wanted to hug her, but withheld himself. Selina smiled up at him.

“Thanks, see you,” Selina opened the doors and walked in.

-_-

[The restaurant]

Selina stopped to look around. Once she spotted Aaron’s back she walked toward them.

“Oh Selina!” Mrs. Ren quickly shouted. “Where’ve you been?”

Selina took her seat beside her mother.

“Where’ve you been? You reek of alcohol!” Mrs. Ren exclaimed.

“Sorry,” Selina apologized.

Mr. Yan laughed, “You must have been out celebrating with some friends right? They must have thrown you a good bye party. How was it? Did you have fun?”

Selina nodded. Aaron glanced at her wondering where she’d actually been.

“You guys continue with your conversation. I feel a little dizzy. I’m going to go for some fresh air for a while,” Selina said excusing herself.

“I’m going to the bathroom,” Aaron lied and got up also.

The grownups turned to each other with nervous and unsure smiles.

“Lets eat.” Mr. Ren said. “The food’s getting cold.”

Aaron walked around the hallways searching for Selina. Finding a doorway at the back he walked toward it to find Selina sitting down on the steps with her head leaning against the wall. Aaron stared at her back figuring she must be feeling upset about tomorrow.

“Where’s the fresh air?” Aaron asked trying to joke.

When Selina didn’t reply he stepped toward her.

“Are you ok?” he asked.

When she didn’t reply again Aaron sat down on the stairs with her.

“You’re finally out of school. You must be happy about that.” Aaron said then tried to think about what else to say. “They say marriage is the most important thing to a person, but I guess that doesn‘t apply to us does it? I was pretty shocked when my father first told me about this, but I guess I also have no choice. I’m just doing this for my father. I hope we can get closer and get to know each other more in the future.”

Selina shut her watery eyes feeling both angry and sad with everything. She just wished Jiro would come back and steal her away.