Desire 36

All I Want...

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

A day had passed by yet Selina couldn’t bring herself to have an actual conversation with Aaron. Hebe had come over to study and knowing herself that she couldn’t stand Hebe Selina had kept herself upstairs. Other than that Aaron had completely ignored her. Was it something she had done? Was it because she did not show up to take him out for lunch? Why was he always so moody around her?

Selina had come home early from work. As she was tidying up the house the door bell rang.

“Mom, what are you doing here?” questioned Selina.

Mrs. Ren smiled and held out the bag in her hand, “The thing you requested.”

Selina took the bag with a smile and let her mom in.

“Take a seat first,” Selina told as she hurried upstairs to put away the bag.

When she came back down she found her mother already relaxed on the couch.

“What are you doing over?” Selina asked. “Did you and dad fight?”

Mrs. Ren looked at her daughter and laughed, “No why would you ask?”

“Because you’re never over,” Selina replied.

“Lets go out,” Mrs. Ren told. “We can go shopping then we’ll have dinner afterward.”

“Why? Is something going on?” asked Selina.

“Should something be going on?” questioned Mrs. Ren.

Selina frowned, “You’ve never asked me this before.”

Mrs. Ren raised her eyebrows, “Well…so? We should start now. There’s always a first.”

Selina couldn’t help, but wonder what her mom was up to.

-_-

[Shopping Mall]

“Do you need to pick up Aaron or something?” asked Mrs. Ren.

Selina looked up at her mom.

“That’s been like the fifthieth time you’ve glanced at your watch,” Mrs. Ren pointed out.

Selina slapped her thigh with her hand and smiled, “No. He’s been taking the bus home lately.”

“Are you worried about him?” asked Mrs. Ren.

“Huh? No!” Selina denied quickly then laughed. “He’s not a kid anymore so why should I care?”

Mrs. Ren smiled then her face expression dropped, “It’s about 6 right now. Want to go for dinner?”

-_-

[In the car]

After Mrs. Ren had given directions to her chauffeur she and Selina sat in silence side by side. It wasn’t until they were midway there that Mrs. Ren spoke up and Selina felt the atmosphere change.

“Regarding you and Aaron your father and I have been thinking about it,” Mrs. Ren said.

Selina turned to her mother waiting for her to go on.

“Maybe your father doesn’t feel sorry, but I do. I know for a girl how important a marriage is,” Selina’s mother said, “he’s been selfish about the company because in the early years of our marriage he went through a lot of struggles to get it to where it is now…even though the struggles are still the same.”

Selina couldn’t help, but smile at her mother’s small complaint.

“We care for you Selina. We do,” Mrs. Ren said, “after the incident with Kate…I had a lot of breakdowns so we couldn’t help, but keep a tighter grip on you. I apologize if I hurt you in any sort of way.”

“Mom why are you so weird?” asked Selina.

“I’m happy you’ve learned to care for Aaron, but you won’t be able to anymore,” Mrs. Ren said now her voice softer, “even if you start to feel for him just forget those feelings.”

Selina could feel her heart beating fast. Somewhere within her she was feeling a rush of panic.

“You’re going to have to leave him,” Mrs. Ren told, “divorce him Selina.”

-_-

[The Highclass Restaurant]

Selina walked slowly behind her smiling mother as they walked into the restaurant. The table had already been reserved for them and no other than Jiro was already seated there. Selina sat down next to him and her mother next to her.

“I already ordered for you is that fine?” Jiro questioned.

“It’s ok,” Mrs. Ren replied.

Jiro turned to glance at Selina, “Have you had a hard day?”

Selina looked up at Jiro, but couldn’t keep her eyes locked onto his.

Mrs. Ren laughed slightly in a nervous way, “We just got back from shopping. I’m afraid I might of wore her out.”

“We have a lot to catch up on don’t we?” questioned Jiro to Selina. “Did a lot happen these few months?”

Selina looked up at her mother.

Mrs. Ren smiled and turned to Jiro, “I have some things to tend to at home. You two have a good time.”

Selina felt her heart sink as her mother left.

“Do you feel weird?” asked Jiro.

“I don’t know…” Selina replied in a mumbled tone.

Jiro reached over to grab Selina’s hand, “I missed you a lot. It was hard living in the states alone. Maybe coming back like this…I might have given you a shock right?”

Selina looked at Jiro unsure of what to do.

“Will you marry me?” Jiro questioned.

Selina quickly slipped her hand out from his.

As if getting a hint from her Jiro spoke up quickly, “I’m sorry if this is too fast…but…but I’m afraid. I feel scared that you’ll change your mind. Somehow things aren’t the same…they aren’t the way I want them to be. I still love you Selina. I can’t stop thinking about you. I really want to marry you.”

“Jiro…” Selina tried to stop him.

“It doesn’t matter to me what you’ve done with Aaron. I can still accept you. I’ve always loved you and I always will…” Jiro said not stopping.

Selina placed her hand on top of Jiro’s and finally he stopped. Were her feelings overwhelming her? She was clueless about her vexed feelings. Her non stop pressure about divorce. Even Aaron was talking about it. Would she really have to agree to it?

“Ok…I know…” Selina replied.

“I’ve already talked to your father about it,” Jiro told, “he says ok. We can get married anytime.”

Selina wanted to laugh, but she felt dead inside. Jiro went on about some of the wedding plans and for the rest of dinner Selina jused zoned out.

-_-

[By the street]

Selina and Jiro sat silently in his car. They were parked outside by Selina’s house.

“So…thanks for the ride,” Selina said and turned to open the door.

“Wait,” Jiro said.

Selina paused and turned to see Jiro lean over and brush her hair aside.

“Good night,” Jiro said leaning in for a kiss, but Selina quickly pushed herself back.

Jiro paused for a slight second then succeeded on his second attempt. Selina quickly shoved Jiro off as she saw Aaron in her head. Why was it when she closed her eyes now all she could see was him? Selina turned to look away suddenly feeling very pained inside. She opened the door and stepped out into her driveway. She wanted his warmth. She wanted Aaron to hug her. Why? Why was she feeling all broken up now?